Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 18:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i30 spied in India!

Hyundai i30 spied in India!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180309032524_hyundai_i30_spy2-copy.jpg
Hyundai i30 spied in India!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180309032528_hyundai_i30_spy3-copy.jpg
Hyundai i30 spied in India!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_extraimages_20180309032529_hyundai_i30_spy1-copy.jpg
Quote:
Hyundai's i30 hatchback is a Volkswagen Golf rival that has been seen testing in India on the outskirts of Chennai. It is unlikely that Hyundai will bring the i30 to India as a hatchback of this cost and size may not be successful in our market. In addition, the length of the i30 hatchback is more than four metres, which means it would require a larger engine, which would push the cost further upwards.

However, Hyundai were the pioneer in the premium hatchback segment with its i20. When launched, the car had was also considered to be way too expensive for a hatchback.

The car spotted on Indian soil could be just another test mule for components meant for future models based on the Elantra platform. If at all Hyundai decides to bring the i30 hatchback to India, expect it to be positioned on par with the Creta SUV.

The latest Hyundai i30 hatchback was unveiled back in 2016 at the Paris Motor show and features the brand’s latest design language. It shares similar styling and also some of its underpinnings with the Elantra sedan sold in India.
Source : https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-india-407699
Dr.Naren is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 19:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i30 spied in India!

This will be a brave attempt by Hyundai if they do plan to launch it here. Having said that, they do have a thin line to straddle between the Verna, Creta and even the Elite i20.

- Indians LOVE SUVs. This is more like a full grown hatch. Won't go well with most people. One of the reasons why we don't see the Golf or even the Ford Focus on Indian roads

- Sedans are only second to SUVs for Indians. Even if someone doesn't have the money to plonk into the Creta, they will end up going for the Verna or settling for the i20

- I don't think anyone would be able to digest a (assumed) price tag of 10 Lakhs+ for an overgrown hatch

Unlike Maruti, which only has a single premium offering in the segment (S-Cross), Hyundai itself has numerous options as I have listed. Of course, if I had to pick between the S-Cross and a well priced i30, you know my choice.

On a separate note, its length seems to be around 4300+ mm. Good to see a hatch which doesn't have its bumpers cut short to fall within the 4000 mm category.

Last edited by vishy76 : 9th March 2018 at 19:19.
vishy76 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I spotted this car this morning but didn't have time to post it. I drove past it quite slowly due to traffic and didn't find any kind of testing equipment inside. My guess is that it's just used by the people at Hyundai (even Kia has registered its entire portfolio of cars and used by Kia people in AP) and not a test mule.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 15:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai are better off launching a sub 4M compact sedan since that is a very visible gap that they have. i30 can come in later, may be 2-3 years from now when the market is more mature, probably in a powerful Turbo petrol Automatic guise.
Old 10th March 2018, 16:18   #5
BHPian

Is that i30??? I am asking because I have seen these tail lights couple of times between Jalandhar and Amritsar and between Ghaziabad to Agra route. I simply tuned out and termed those tail lights as that of 2018 i20 and thinking why has this not been covered on Team-BHP. Simply didn't notice the i30 badge. Also none of the cars were sporting temporary registration plates.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 19:14   #6
BHPian

I think Hyundai may try/should try and bring it's Active variant (create one, if absent). It could then easily rival with S-Cross/Brezza/WRV.

Looks kind of promising in that category, because if one is upgrading from his first car (which may have been a Maruti in the lower segments), a premium well defined Hyundai would seem more attractive than another Maruti, with almost the same tech/engine as the previous car.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2018 at 08:52. Reason: typo
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 22:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
...My guess is that it's just used by the people at Hyundai (even Kia has registered its entire portfolio of cars and used by Kia people in AP) and not a test mule.
Are you sure about the Kia cars?
I thought the cars need ARAI homologation and stuff before they can be registered for street use. Why would Kia go through all that trouble just for their people to use it?

That's why the i30 is sporting red temporary plates like all the test mules I thought. Also, like many people already pointed out, it'll be difficult for Hyundai to find a sweet spot to fit the i30 in, between the i20, Verna & Creta.

Maybe this is an export specific model. That's why there's no camouflage!?
Old 12th March 2018, 09:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i30 spied in India!

In the 1990s, when the Zen was launched, people said there is no market for 4 lakh rupee hatchbacks in India. In the 2000s, when the Getz was launched, people said there's no market for 5 lakh rupee hatchbacks. When the i20 was launched, people said there's no market for 6 lakh rupee hatchbacks.

Today, the topmost variant of the Swift touches 9.7 lakhs on the road in Mumbai and no one is batting an eyelid.

The goalposts defining 'premium' keep moving with time. I think there is a case to bring the i30 here. It's a proper big hatchback, might be more spacious than the Verna and has big engines too (including a 1.6L diesel). The i20 has already established itself and it'll be worth the risk to bring the i30 above it. Even the other big hatchback - the S-Cross - isn't doing too badly for itself. A giant like Hyundai can take the risk as it's merely cut-copy-paste and building it here - not like they have to design a new car from scratch for India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hyundai are better off launching a sub 4M compact sedan since that is a very visible gap that they have.
You mean a compact SUV? Compact sedan is already there (i.e. Xcent).
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 10:01   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The goalposts defining 'premium' keep moving with time. I think there is a case to bring the i30 here. It's a proper big hatchback, might be more spacious than the Verna and has big engines too (including a 1.6L diesel). The i20 has already established itself and it'll be worth the risk to bring the i30 above it. Even the other big hatchback - the S-Cross - isn't doing too badly for itself.
Infact not just the i30. I have been mentioning this earlier as well. There is a case for the VW Golf in India as well the Ford Focus hatch.

The market has matured a lot and people are looking for nice fun to drive car and not necessarily a sedan as they will not be chauffeur driven.

The number of Polo GTI's sold after the price cut to 20 lakhs as well as S-cross, baleno at 10+ is proof that market is ready.

A Hyundai i30 or a Golf will not be the primary car in the household. This type of buyer will surely have an MPV, SUV or a beater sedan given for family / beater and chauffeur use and will happily drive such a premium hatch himself to work.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 12:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Though there is a particular liking for SUVs & Sedans; Indian market is reasonably mature for full cars in "hatchback" classification.

Even the premium segment players such as MBIL is finding enough takers for its A Class which is close to 30 Lac+ on road, a fully grown fun to drive hatch with finesse of entry level D segment is something that Hyundai can introduce to the Indian customers.

i30 can play along with Creta, provided it offers better interiors and technology for the user. The segment differentiation between Sedan & Premium Hatchback is getting blurred and Hyundai can offer something where the product can speak of itself !
i74js is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 12:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the 1990s, when the Zen was launched, people said there is no market for 4 lakh rupee hatchbacks in India. In the 2000s, when the Getz was launched, people said there's no market for 5 lakh rupee hatchbacks. When the i20 was launched, people said there's no market for 6 lakh rupee hatchbacks.

Today, the topmost variant of the Swift touches 9.7 lakhs on the road in Mumbai and no one is batting an eyelid.

The goalposts defining 'premium' keep moving with time.
Beg to differ a bit here. The examples you cited are more on account of inflation rather than expanding the definition of 'premium' or the definition moving with time. Also, back then (at the time of said examples), the SUV fetish wasn't as severe as it is now.

IMHO, bringing the i30 would be stretch, it would manage 1000 copies a month at best. The S-cross managing 2,500 has a lot to do with the Maruti's reputation of low maintenance.
Jeevith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Beg to differ a bit here. The examples you cited are more on account of inflation rather than expanding the definition of 'premium' or the definition moving with time. Also, back then (at the time of said examples), the SUV fetish wasn't as severe as it is now.

IMHO, bringing the i30 would be stretch, it would manage 1000 copies a month at best. The S-cross managing 2,500 has a lot to do with the Maruti's reputation of low maintenance.
Let's assume a very normative INR 100,000 net profit to Hyundai per copy. Going by your estimate of sale of 1000 copies per month would result in a yearly "profit" of 120 Crores.

These are good numbers while embarking upon the journey of creating a new segment altogether.

This is worth giving a shot for a consistent sale of 500 copies per month.

Last edited by i74js : 12th March 2018 at 13:33.
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 14:08   #13
BHPian

Hyundai needs to work on differentiating it's products by moving away from the family look. Unless Hyundai provides an individual identity to i30, it's not going to set sales charts on fire in India.
First of all, a hatch worth 12-13L on road will ends up competing with sedans and entry level SUVs. If such a car doesn't have striking looks and just carrying the family face, it wouldn't attract a lot of people.
Little off topic, I personally think that the time for 'family looks' is behind us, sooner carmakers realize it, better for them.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 16:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hatchbacks are getting costlier by the day.But the one thing expected out of them is good practicality, and one of the most important parameters is fuel efficiency.

Even though people love premium feel associated with Hyundai, a 1.4/1.6 Petrol will not do well.

If they have to get this in 1.4/1.6 Diesel, its going to cost same as Verna.
And with that it does not stand a chance to have good numbers.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 17:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nope, its isnt the right product for India for now at least from business perspective.
  • This does not have a A class like wow front. Very very similar to i20. Rather i20 looks better.
  • With 1.4 / 1.6 engines, its going to be priced not close to but exactly same as Verna. No one will pick this over a full sedan if they are firmed on a Hyundai
  • Not worth the investment to sell a mere 1000 copies unless exporting it makes it financially viable.
  • India is moving more towards a petrol market. Unless Hyundai can plonk a 1.6 with sporty (subtle not bone jarring) suspension and price it less than lakh than the Verna; I see a niche but good market for itself. But is it worth for Hyundai.
  • Hyundai needs a competent 1.4 which it does not have. The Verna and i20 with 1.4 hardly sells
dipen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks