Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 16:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

2018 Jeep Wrangler spotted in India

The fourth generation Jeep Wrangler made its debut at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show. The 2018 Wrangler has now been spotted testing in Goa, which suggests that Jeep might be planning to launch it in India sometime in the near future.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-wrangler1.jpg

Like its predecessor, the 2018 Wrangler is offered in 2-door and 4-door versions. However, in India, we are likely to get the 4-door variant, which comes in 4 trim levels - Sport, Sport S, Rubicon and Sahara. It retains the boxy appearance with short overhangs and extruded fenders. The front end features circular LED headlights with LED DRLs positioned on the fenders, while the fog lamps are placed on the bumper in separate chrome-lined pods. The 7-slat grille has been slightly tweaked as well.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-wrangler2.jpg

The rear of the new Wrangler gets square-shaped LED tail lights and a spare wheel. Much like previous models, the windshield can be folded down and it comes with removable doors and soft and hard-top options. On the inside, the new models get a dual-tone dashboard with a 5.0-inch, 7.0-inch or 8.4-inch touchscreen infotainment system. The Uconnect system gets Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity. The car gets a 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel and a twin-pod instrument cluster with a 3.5-inch or 7.0-inch MID in the centre.

In the US market, the 2018 Wrangler is offered with two, new 4-cylinder engines, in addition to the Pentastar V6 and V6 EcoDiesel unit. The 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine produces 270 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. The 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel unit churns out 197 BHP and 450 Nm of torque. The 3.0-litre, V6 diesel makes 240 BHP and 570 Nm of torque, while the 3.6-litre V6 petrol engine makes 285 BHP and 353 Nm of peak torque. Transmission options include an 8-speed automatic and a 6-speed manual. The Wrangler rides on a 5-link suspension featuring re-tuned shock absorbers. It is offered with a Command-Trac 4x4 system with a 2-speed transfer case. The Rubicon variant gets a Rock-Trac 4x4 system with heavy-duty axles and Tru-Lok locking differentials.

Source: exoticcarsingoa / Instagram

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 18:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2018 Jeep Wrangler spotted in India

CBU needs homologation and testing?

Or does this mean that Jeep has finally understood the atrocious pricing issue and bringing it as CKD this time around?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 11:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If this thing is going to come as a CKD, it's awesome news for the offroading community who really don't have any hardcore options above the Thar, Gypsy & Gurkha. There are people with a larger budget, but not big enough for the obscenely priced 60 - 70 lakh rupee current Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Or does this mean that Jeep has finally understood the atrocious pricing issue and bringing it as CKD this time around?
If a small-timer like Volvo can start CKD operations in India, so can FCA with its enormous Ranjangaon facilities. They should. A well-priced Wrangler will also add to the brand value & prestige. The Compass has gotten the company on a roll, so they can afford to have a bit of fun now.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Absolutely agree, FCA has to look at assembling the Wrangler in India after the success they had with the Compass. Though the specs would be different, the price difference between the Wrangler & the Compass in the US is not much. They are positioned pretty close to each other in that market, unlike here where one can buy almost 3 Compass's for the price of one Wrangler.
The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-jeep1.jpg
If they can get this kind of positioning for the Wrangler, I am sure it will gain a lot of attention like the Compass.

Last edited by Vishnuk : 15th March 2018 at 12:03.
Vishnuk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with GTO. CKD version of Jeep Wrangler can put up decent sales numbers for FCA in India. Remember it is a cult product which has good fan following, especially among those who have decent budget and a bit of exposure to automotive world outside India. And latest JL series is reported be better than outgoing JK series on many fronts.

But for proper offroad purpose, even in India, they will have to give options in to kit it up as per customer choice, the Unlimited Wrangler 4 door that is currently on sale in India was hopeless when we tried it out in our offroad backyard. Long wheelbase, confusing AT gearbox and no diff lockers meant it was outwitted by relatively mundane SUVs!

A manual gearbox on a competitively priced Rubicon will be a dream come true! And with kind of after-market mods available for Wranglers from USA, you can make this THE ultimate offroad tool. Hope someone at FCA India is reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If they don't plan to build here for RHD markets, best is to suggest Mr. President call Mr. PM I have never seen so fast action on duties as happened on CBU bikes
Haha. That's very true. But that's the point, they have an existing excellent facility in Ranjangaon and they should make use of it to start assembling it here, for exporting to RHD markets.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 15th March 2018 at 12:15.
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
CBU needs homologation and testing?

I believe it's a must for CBU costing less than USD 40,000. I could not find any other article though, except this old post from GTO.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...html#post44312

Quote:
GTO
If this thing is going to come as a CKD, it's awesome news for the offroading community who really don't have any hardcore options
Unless Jeep shifts manufacturing of RHD versions completely to India like Compass, I don't think domestic numbers will justify CKD. Besides, being a brand new Model 2018, it's going to be a very strong year for Wrangler globally and doing a CKD for Indian domestic demand will be the least priority for FCA.

From the JL Wrangler Forums, I understand RHD Wrangler is planned for June 2018, so who knows Jeep is actually considering production in India for all RHD International markets but it will have its own challenges with suppliers for a low volume product, unlike Compass.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-screen-shot-20180315-12.06.36-pm.png

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for.../rhd-jlu.1982/

If we go by Compass prices, even if Jeep is able to do CKD operations, they won't able to price less than 45-50 Lac in my opinion.

If they don't have concrete plans to build for RHD markets in India, best is to suggest Mr. President call Mr. PM I have never seen so fast action on anything by the Government as it happened on CBU bikes

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2018 at 12:14.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 12:43   #7
BHPian

I agree with Turbanator, manufacturing the Wrangler in India will only be viable if Jeep decides to make India its global hub for the RHD version. Such a move would actually make a lot of sense. Am guessing the largest RHD markets for the Wrangler are (in no particular order) Australia, southern and eastern Africa, Japan, parts of south-east Asia, the UK and India itself. We are eminently well positioned as a central manufacturing hub to service all these markets and cut transportation costs. Also, with Compass already being manufactured here, FCA already has proof of concept! Even so, pricing would depend entirely on the specs, with the Rubicon being probably way too expensive for a niche vehicle in India.

Having said that I’d love to see a more practically priced Wrangler in India, say in the ₹30-35 lakhs range. Admittedly, when I returned to the homeland back in 2015 after being in the U.S. for seven years, I had sticker shock and couldn’t stomach the 2x plus prices of cars in India. Even so, when the Wrangler was finally launched I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I’ve driven a JKU Sahara extensively while on vacation in Hawaii, and there’s no way the current asking price is anything short of ludicrous!!
Old 1st June 2018, 16:02   #8
BHPian

A bit , but need to tell my experience at Landmark, Moti Nagar, Delhi. Someone's driver had come to get their Jeep Wrangler (Diesel) serviced. First of all there was confusion as booking was made for Compass, not Wrangler. Then the SA scolded the person taking the booking - saying in case servicing / spare parts of Wrangler weren't available. He had earlier checked with the spares person regarding the same.

Now the SA starts filling the service form and I can see on his monitor that he has opened an excel for service schedule (oil change, filter change, etc) for Jeep vehicles. Then i notice, it has four or five sheets and he is looking and filling from the sheet named Jeep Cherokee SRT (Petrol) - it also mentioned the engine - I believe it was 6.2 or 6.4 L (Hemi V8)

I then see that there is a separate sheet for Jeep Wrangler Diesel and even though I'm looking at his screen from behind (not exactly right), but couldn't wait to point out the glaring error. My immediate reaction (in my mind) is - "Are you nuts !?!". I then tell him that he is not looking at the correct sheet. And he says, a muted "oh" (since the driver is sitting in front of him), looks at the correct sheet and starts filling accordingly - crossing out something he had already written which obviously was not applicable for the diesel Wrangler. Such callousness &/or lack of knowledge.
Old 6th June 2018, 07:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Undisguised Jeep Wrangler in both 3 and 5 door versions being imported into India. Seen being unloaded at the cargo area.

Not yet known if these will be launched in India .

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-jeep1_1.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-jeep3_3.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-jeep4_4.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-jeep5_5.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Undisguised Jeep Wrangler in both 3 and 5 door versions being imported into India. Seen being unloaded at the cargo area.

Not yet known if these will be launched in India .
Of course, these should come here, maybe the ones in the pictures are for homologation as they have plans to launch RHD internationally later this Year if we go by UK website. With the new 8 speed gear-box and better interiors, this can surely give numbers if they can price around 60 Lac.

Who knows if they decide to start building RHD models in India for exports as well in which case it can be launched even more competitively.

https://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler-jl

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th June 2018 at 10:53.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 15:25   #11
BHPian

Oh Man!
A 40L OTR V6 Diesel, 6 Speed Manual Rubicon would be an answer to all my prayers.
570 Nm
Given that a Mustang would be severely restricted on B-roads and require a personal oil well to run, this might be the best possible dose of Americana we can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
But for proper offroad purpose, even in India, they will have to give options in to kit it up as per customer choice, the Unlimited Wrangler 4 door that is currently on sale in India was hopeless when we tried it out in our offroad backyard. Long wheelbase, confusing AT gearbox and no diff lockers meant it was outwitted by relatively mundane SUVs!

A manual gearbox on a competitively priced Rubicon will be a dream come true! And with kind of after-market mods available for Wranglers from USA, you can make this THE ultimate offroad tool. Hope someone at FCA India is reading this. .
Loved the videos right from when y'all had put them up on Youtube - watched them again toady. Puts a lot of things about off-road capability and image into perspective.
But a diesel with a manual and the kind of BF Goodrichs the Rubicon comes with should ensure that far from such an incongruous and ignominious performance, the Wrangler name is done due justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If this thing is going to come as a CKD, it's awesome news for the offroading community who really don't have any hardcore options above the Thar, Gypsy & Gurkha. There are people with a larger budget, but not big enough for the obscenely priced 60 - 70 lakh rupee current Wrangler.
Truly! With that kind of freedom and ability (say what you will about marketing and unreliability, even the relatively better informed feel this way about the Wrangler) - I'd be willing to compromise on highway cruising ability (it is basically like driving a wardrobe, I imagine).

Quote:
If a small-timer like Volvo can start CKD operations in India, so can FCA with its enormous Ranjangaon facilities. They should. A well-priced Wrangler will also add to the brand value & prestige. The Compass has gotten the company on a roll, so they can afford to have a bit of fun now.
Quote:
Unless Jeep shifts manufacturing of RHD versions completely to India like Compass, I don't think domestic numbers will justify CKD.
And while it would be thoroughly disappointing if they don't go the CKD route now, I don't think they will - with their plans for the Renegade and the excisecut benefitting <4m SUV coming up, the Ranjangaon plant will have its hands full IMO.

But I think they could - it could wind up doing Endeavour like numbers easily if it's a CKD - it depends if they're willing "to have a bit of fun now". Considering that a fully loaded 4Runner TRD Pro comes to around 50k USD over there and it is basically a Fortuner (I know there are a host of differences, but normally 1000 USD = 100000 INR is a good metric for estimating prices IMO), I think Jeep can manage a decent Wrangler for 40L OTR, especially given that the V6 Petrol Rubicon Unlimited can be had for just under 40k USD over there today.
Who knows, with what those looks it might just usurp the Fortuner's position as the de facto VidhaayakMobile and end up doing crazy numbers (by Indian standards - they sold 200k in the US last year, I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If we go by Compass prices, even if Jeep is able to do CKD operations, they won't able to price less than 45-50 Lac in my opinion.
But unfortunately, I too think it won't be anything reasonable going by the Compass's price.

I think the Compass starts off fine, but it gets overpriced a little too quickly.
Can't imagine what'll happen with the Wrangler. Best case, base ex-showroom would be 25L as a CKD. Start looking for a 4 door Rubicon with a V6, and then you might have 40L ex-showroom.

Quote:
If they don't have concrete plans to build for RHD markets in India, best is to suggest Mr. President call Mr. PM I have never seen so fast action on anything by the Government as it happened on CBU bikes
If only...

Last edited by Mu009 : 6th June 2018 at 15:28. Reason: Corrections
Old 9th June 2018, 11:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted on the streets of Pune by a PowerDrift reader.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-1.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-2.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-3.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 11:35   #13
BHPian

Spotted testing of Jeep Wrangler on my way to office.

Where - Near Kiwale, NH-48 Pune-Bangalore Highway, Pune outskirts.

Total 3 cars spotted, 2 hardtop Wranglers and 1 hardtop Rubicon. I could only manage to capture 1 Wrangler as test driver stopped for loo break. I was allowed to only take exterior pics.

Observations :
  1. All black interiors
  2. Leather seats and dashboard
  3. Automatic variant
  4. Driver was not aware of engine specs
  5. Proper Roll Cage beneath the hardtop with plastic cladding.
  6. Roof liner was white colored while rest all was black colored.
  7. Lead headlights. tail lamps and DRLs.
  8. When the guy unlocked the car, headlights and DRLs switched on.
  9. Engine sounded silent and a little sporty when the car took off, don't know if it was Petrol or Diesel one.
  10. Overland Edition
  11. ARAI stickers on windshield. Does that mean India launch is near?
  12. Bridgestone Dueler HT tires.
  13. Front and Rear parking sensors.
  14. Unusual location for center high-mount stop light, integrated into stand holding rear-mounted spare wheel.
  15. Pull type steel antenna popping out from right side front fender.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-01-img_20180706_102558__01.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-02-img_20180706_102528__01.jpg

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-03-img_20180706_102537__01.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2018 at 20:59. Reason: Re-instating. Watermarks added. Post fixed & merged.
varunswnt is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 20:09   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
14. Unusual location for center high-mount stop light, integrated into stand holding rear-mounted spare wheel.
Same for the international spec models as well - probably because of the open top variants which might not have a rear windshield to mount the stop lamps.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2018 at 20:59. Reason: Quote edited.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 13:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
[*]Unusual location for center high-mount stop light, integrated into stand holding rear-mounted spare wheel.
And the stand is height adjustable to accommodate bigger / higher profile tyres. Upgrading tyres is quite common practice among Jeep fans in the US, specially off-roading enthusiasts.
Quote:
Same for the international spec models as well - probably because of the open top variants which might not have a rear windshield to mount the stop lamps.
Yes probably the reason why it is there in the first place.

Also notice the rear view camera mounted at the centre of the spare wheel. To remove spare wheel one have the remove camera cover by unscrewing a screw with a special key provided with the tool kit.

The 2019 Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs 63.94 lakh-01-img_20180706_102558__01.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 11th July 2019 at 20:20. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
S.MJet is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed