Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2018, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Maruti looking at 6-speed gearboxes in a big way

Seeing the title of this thread, I thought Maruti had plans of a 6 speed Automatic, probably for the S - Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I will play the devil's advocate here. Let me clarify:

- Owners complaining that the 1.3 DDIS is a bit more stressed than it should be is completely justified. Having said that, a 6th Cog isn't as easy to add as it seems

Hey Vishy,

I really don’ t think Maruti will launch this 6 speed gearbox paired to the 1.3 MJD. Reason : The MJD will be dead in a few more years.

This gearbox will most probably be launched with their in - house 1.5 diesel, which, as you know is still under development.

As you said, a 6th cog will be very useful for an engine with more displacement, not the 1.3. An extra gear would also add more load on the engine.

I feel that this gearbox will be apt for the 1.5 diesel, maximising FE and allowing relaxed cruising at lower RPM’s.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 17th March 2018 at 21:04.
Prathiiik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 20:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Why not. The 1.3 in the swift is at 2000 Rpm just above 80, engine has good torque in that range, if 100 comes up at about 2000 it will be a very quiet and comfortable cruise. The ratio gap between 1st and 2nd is also noticeable high, many times at slow speed in traffic, especially on a grade, the engine rpm seems too high in 1st , but too low in second, a closer ratioed 6 speed will address this.
I think you got me wrong here, the 1.3 DDiS is an engine that would surely benefit from having a 6th gear. We used to own a Punto 1.3MJD that revved at 2500 rpm in 5th gear at 100 kmph, if that car had an extra gear it would have cruised better at 100 kmph with the revs around 2000 rpm.

I said that the 1.3 DDiS won't get the new gearbox because of this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-p-2020-a.html. I guess it doesn't make any sense to mate the new GB with an engine that is being discontinued in 2 years time.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 17th March 2018 at 21:02.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 10:53   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Imagine a 6 speed Swift DDIS crusing along at 120 kmph at 2400 rpm than its current 2900 rpm *Goosebumps* . Highways will be so much more fun!
Well said! That 6th gear is a very, very useful tool for highways - related thread.

It'll also help Maruti brag about higher fuel economy and in marketing it as an additional feature (LOL!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Gone are the days people used to 'imagine' about a Swift. Used to happen a decade back but nowadays its just another mass market car, and the engine range is nothing special for the times either.
I disagree.

1. Less than 0.5% of Indians own a car (our car penetration rate is 30 - 40 cars / 1000 citizens).

There were recent news reports on how so many first-time buyers are jumping straight at the 5 - 8 lakh rupee segment, completely bypassing the Alto / Eon / Kwid category as it was before. For any first-time car owner, the Swift is a dream.

2. Drive it on some twisties . I thoroughly enjoyed driving the new Swift, as Moderator Aditya (who is reviewing it) did too. If you want to have fun on a budget and play it safe within the Maruti family, it is a fantastic buy. The 1.2L petrol is still a beautiful engine (1.3L diesel feels too old though), the interiors are nice, the exterior styling remains a draw and the handling is a bit enthusiast-oriented.

If any BHPian buys a red Swift with a black roof + aftermarket rubber + custom exhaust, I will completely agree with his choice.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed