Team-BHP - The mystery of 6 PS additional power on the Indigo
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The mystery of 6 PS additional power on the Indigo (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/19693-mystery-6-ps-additional-power-indigo.html)

Have a query regarding the Indigo. If anyone remembers it earlier had a 62 PS engine (62 PS @ 4500 rpm; Max. Torque 12.5 kgm @ 2500 rpm), which was supposed to be a turbo-charged version of the 1405cc pot used in the Indica. But later the engine power figures were upgraded to 68PS @4500 rpm and Maximum Torque 13 Kgm @ 2500 rpm). Someone suggested that something was done to the turbo or maybe even another turbo was added that increased the power figure further. But there is no clarification about this. Has anyone got any idea. Recently and intercooler was added that further boosted the power to 70PS @ 4500 rpm ; Max. Torque 13.5 kgm @ 2500 rpm. But the jump from 62 PS to 68 PS is confounding. Any information or ideas?

it could have been anything.it could have been re programming the ecu,increassing the boost,reworking the intake geometry so that more air enters the cylinder.different cam timings etc.

Indigo had just one upgrade in April 2005 where the power was upgraded to 70PS due to an intercooler.
March 2005 indigo's were 62 BHP
The indica Turbo has intercooler like the indigo, but is slightly detuned to 68PS

Interesting find. I was under the impression that there was an increase from 62PS to 70PS because of the intercooler. Wasnt really aware of a 68PS spec at any time.

Maybe Stratos can answer this question

GTO, we have a March 2005 Indigo which was bought a month before the intercooled version came out. That one has 62PS. I am not aware of any 68PS version. The only 68PS 1405cc engine from Tata is the intercooled Indica Turbo engine

It's very possible, if you notice, the max torque and max power are still being produced at the same rpm. This basically means that combustion within the cylinder has been improved without altering the engine design.

Increasing the turbo boost increases torque throughout the revv band.

The original engine used to produce 70.02lbft(94.5nm)@4500rpm, the next engine produced 77.02(103.97nm)@4500rpm and the intercooled one produced 79.36(107.13nm)@4500rpm.

If torque is increased through the revv band, power will eventually follow.

But what i find fishy is that even though the increase in torque is 0.5 kgm over the older engine, the power increase is not balanced.

BTW, where did you get the engine specs from?

Shan2nu

I think the mystery is solved. You all seem correct. Most possibly I must have read somewhere about the intercooler upgrade pushing the power up from 62PS to 68PS engine for the Indigo. Then the Tata's must have tuned it to give 70PS considering they would be launching the same engine in the Indica in the future (which they have). It doesn't make any sense in a company detuning an engine to make a minute differentiation between their hatch and sedan versions. Don't think 2PS reduction is going to make any big difference other than playing on the minds of potential customers. So most probably they must have tweaked the 68PS one to eke-out 70PS (69bhp) and at the same time out-do the 68bhp figure of the Fiesta, even though it caters to a different set of consumers.

The indica turbo comes in 2 variants, one being with an intercooler and one without, which changes the output by about 6-8PS. The indgo comes with an intercooler itself. I suspect, the cost played a key factor, that prompted them to not add the intercooler in the indica.

The Indigo was given an intercooler and got an subsequent increase in power to 70 Bhp...The Indica Turbo DLS puts out only 62 Bhp as it has only a Turbo and no intercooler, whereas the DLG, DLX have an intercooler thus the increase in output...Never remember an upgrade to 68 Bhp and then 70 Bhp