Team-BHP - 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/197024-2018-toyota-land-cruiser-prado-launched-rs-92-60-lakh.html)

Toyota has launched the 2018 Land Cruiser Prado in India. The SUV, which was showcased earlier at the 2018 Auto Expo is priced at Rs. 92.60 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Click here to see it upclose!

2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh-lcpradobanner.jpg

The 2018 model is a facelift version of the fourth-generation Land Cruise Prado. It measures 4,840 mm in length, 1,885 mm in width and 1,880 mm in height. The SUV has a wheelbase of 2,790 mm and wading depth of 700 mm. Also, it comes with an 87-litre fuel tank.

2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh-topfeature1.jpg

As part of the facelift, the 2018 Land Cruiser Prado gets a new chrome grille and headlamps with LED projectors and DRLs, while the redesigned front bumper houses LED fog lamps. It features chunky wheel arches filled with 18-inch alloy wheels and aero-stabilizing fins on ORVMs and tail lights. Speaking of tail lights, the shape of the cluster is similar to the outgoing model. Besides this, the SUV comes with a tailgate mounted spare wheel, roof spoiler and rear fog lamps.

2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado launched at Rs. 92.60 lakh-dashboard.jpg

On the inside, Toyota has updated the cabin by adding a new centre console finished in silver with a large touchscreen infotainment screen. The car gets a new 4-spoke, multi-functional steering wheel and a twin-pod instrument cluster with a central MID. Other features include a 3-zone automatic climate control, cruise control and heated seats.

The 2018 Land Cruise Prado is powered by a 3.0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that makes 172 BHP @ 3,400 rpm and a torque of 410 Nm @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission and it has 4WD with Crawl Control with 5 settings, Multi Terrain Select, Multi Terrain Monitor with 4 cameras and a panoramic view monitor.

Some of the standard safety features offered on the 2018 Land Cruise Prado include 7 airbags, ABS with EBD, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), tyre pressure monitoring system, Downhill Assist Control (DAC), hill-start assist and parking assist.

Any specific reason why Toyota cars produce less BHP per litre of engine capacity both in petrol as well as in diesel avatar compared to European players?

Also, I have not witnessed very many engine tuning examples for Toyota diesel engines compared to FIAT, VW etc.

The SUV looks butch and reassures of its "go anywhere capabilities". In 1 Crore bracket, Prado has always been the leader with impressive Toyota Reliability. Buyers would be happy with the refreshed interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TusharK (Post 4373366)
Toyota has launched the 2018 Land Cruiser Prado in India. The SUV, which was showcased earlier at the 2018 Auto Expo is priced at Rs. 92.60 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The 2018 Land Cruise Prado is powered by a 3.0-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that makes 172 BHP @ 3,400 rpm and a torque of 410 Nm @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. T

It comes with old Generation Fortuner 4 Cylinder engine mated with even older 5 Speed gear box:Frustrati

How can someone in Toyota HQ approve sales of a model that sells less than a piece per Month:deadhorse Given the Toyota reliability and the overall build quality of Prado, they could have still sold some numbers had they used 6 cylinder Petrol or even the new 2,8 Ltr + 6 Speed engine. I am sure they must have to pay for some ARAI certification, come out with Brochure or other marketing expenses and then built some inventories for spares, so why did they waste all efforts or money on something which is dead on arrival?

They should have just killed this model for the Indian market or used this facelift as an opportunity to come out with something more desirable and worthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4373391)
It comes with old Generation Fortuner 4 Cylinder engine mated with even older 5 Speed gear box:Frustrati

How can someone in Toyota HQ approve sales of a model that sells less than a piece per Month:deadhorse Given the Toyota reliability and the overall build quality of Prado, they could have still sold some numbers had they used 6 cylinder Petrol or even the new 2,8 Ltr + 6 Speed engine. I am sure they must have to pay for some ARAI certification, come out with Brochure or other marketing expenses and then built some inventories for spares, so why did they waste all efforts or money on something which is dead on arrival?

They are continuing with the old 3.0 D4D due to the low volumes of the Prado. The 2.8 in the Fortuner is not the same as the one in 2.8 Prado, there is a minor difference which is the inclusion of a balancer shaft in the Prado's 2.8 to lower NVH. Adding a balancer shaft to a couple of 2.8's in the engine assembly line does not make sense since the volumes are too low.

Apart from this Prados with 2.8 abroad comes with Euro6 emission compliance and additional parts bolted on to it so importing that config motor might be too early for India according to their plans.

Toyota sells the new Fortuner with older 3.0KD engine in some of their markets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 4373414)
They are continuing with the old 3.0 D4D due to the low volumes of the Prado.
Toyota sells the new Fortuner with older 3.0KD engine in some of their markets.Apart from this Prados with 2.8 abroad comes with Euro6 emission compliance and additional parts bolted on to it

Thanks for the information on the difference in Engine on Prado vs Fortuner, but they produce Prado in Japan for all the markets so there are no reasons why they cannot ship the same Prado to India that they ship to Australia? Now it appears, this is due to the costs or maybe an outside chance that they have some hundred odd units left in inventories and they think they can dump in India :Frustrati

Quote:

The 2.8 in the Fortuner is not the same as the one in 2.8 Prado, there is a minor difference which is the inclusion of a balancer shaft in the Prado's 2.8 to lower NVH. Adding a balancer shaft to a couple of 2.8's in the engine assembly line does not make sense since the volumes are too low.
That's interesting and if this is the case they should have definitely upgraded the engine for Indian market considering the end retail price of about 150,000 USD :deadhorse

Quote:

Toyota sells the new Fortuner with older 3.0KD engine in some of their markets
Yes, mostly some African or maybe South American countries where they have challenges due to the poor quality of fuel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i74js (Post 4373382)
Any specific reason why Toyota cars produce less BHP per litre of engine capacity both in petrol as well as in diesel avatar compared to European players?

Simple, for Toyota, Reliability is a priority over anything else including performance.

What does Prado offer that Jeep Compass Trailhawk doesn't?
Traihawk has:
170BHP
4WD
Low Ratio Transfer Case
Rock Crawl Mode
9 speed AT (that too from ZF)

The 3 Litre Diesel, (same as the old Fortuner in slightly different state of tune) does not belong to a crore rupee car, more so when it wears the Landcruiser badge proudly. This engine is crude and loud, no matter what kind of sound insulation they do it does not deserve to be in a Prado. In most other markets like Australia, this facelift Prado comes with much more refined 2.8 Diesel. They should atleast have offered a variant with 4 litre V6 Petrol.

Now coming to the car itself, I have driven a older pre-facelift version with this same engine and almost the same mechanicals. It simply is not worth the price, I agree this is the legendary Prado and all but at this price it does not make any sense unless you have money to burn. The less than half price Ford Endeavour 3.2 does most things better than this car and is a steal at the price it sells for. Even the new Fortuner is not bad at all.

Good thing is, its fully loaded, KDSS system, rear diff lock, crawl modes and all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4373424)
Traihawk has:
170BHP
4WD
Low Ratio Transfer Case
Rock Crawl Mode
9 speed AT (that too from ZF)

Quite a few actually. :D
- Massive street presence
- Snob value & Prestige (It's an LC after all)
- Luxury inside-out
- Known to outlive it's buyers, that too in extreme conditions.

The list can go on! :)

Close to a crore for a 3.0, old diesel??:Frustrati

In the gulf market, the Prado is available with 2 Petrol engine options:

1) 2.7 litre, 4 cylinder producing 164 hp

2) 4.0 V6 producing 270 hp.

And all that for a signigicantly lower price :

Starting from 130,000 AED for the 2.7 and going upto 2,00,000 AED for the 4.0 top end V6.

Consdering the engine options and pricing in other countries, the Indian Prado seems to
be ridiculously overpriced!

Toyota should atleast consider offering a more powerful engine, probably a 4.0 V6.

This 3.0 just won’t do for a car costing a crore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4373431)
Quite a few actually. :D
- Massive street presence
- Snob value & Prestige (It's an LC after all)
- Luxury inside-out
- Known to outlive it's buyers, that too in extreme conditions.

The list can go on! :)

- Massive: Really? I have seen a few on the road, LC is massive, not Prado.
- Snob value: that would be the Range Rovers
- Luxury: I checked a used one a few years back. Found the interior boring
- Outlive the buyers: May be because it's Toyota, but Trailhawk, Endy are 70L cheaper and certainly aren't disposables!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4373447)
- Outlive the buyers: May be because it's Toyota, but Trailhawk, Endy are 70L cheaper and certainly aren't disposables!

Well, I am at a loss of words here. stupid:
Agreed, the LC Prado costs twice as what it should have costed.

However, there is no denying that the LC brand has a specific charm and value, a prestige symbol.
People with cash to burn, surely would know the means to flaunt it. :D
It's interiors may be boring, but they are luxurious nonetheless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4373447)

I think we better stick to the thread, no one is ever going to buy a Compass who has a budget for Prado or something in that segment and we cannot compare 2 vehicles just because both have an engine with similar BHP and a 4x4.

Prado is actually quite massive, if you don't believe, try driving one. Interior or the switches, even if boring oozes quality. Even the Endeavour will feel small when you do a back to back rides. Don't go much by Australian magazines which compare Endeavour with Prado. Fortuner is the right comparison for Endeavour and not Prado and you are trying with a punny Compass :D

How I wish, Toyota had given us an optional 6 Cylinders or as a 2,8 Ltr Diesel minimum.

Quote:

Consdering the engine options and pricing in other countries, the Indian Prado seems to
be ridiculously overpriced!
Yes, but don't forget 200 % + duties :deadhorse

I think LC Prado still finds some homes of politicos and some people wanting street presence. Else for this money it's the Audi Q7 which seems to have captured the urban buyers attention.

I didn't compare Prado with Compass in terms of size. I clearly mentioned the points I compared the 2 on and I see there is no debate on those :D

Regarding sticking to the thread - curious questions about the Prado feature list is not off-topic IMO, unless of course the thread is actually about "92 lakh rupees" rather than Prado! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandpadhye (Post 4373424)
Traihawk has:
  1. 170BHP
  2. 4WD
  3. Low Ratio Transfer Case
  4. Rock Crawl Mode
  5. 9 speed AT (that too from ZF)

1) Nice
2) Nice Swift also had a 4WD version in Germany.
3) No
4) Nice
5) Nice but problematic. Hope the issues are fixed.

Trailhawk compass has only one box and that is the 9 speed gearbox. The 1st gear of the 9 speed transmission is the low ratio that you mentioned.