Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 06:58   #16

re: Why I think BS6 / BSVI diesel won't harm BS4 / BSIV engines

Would anyone know if the new BMW X1Diesel is also BS6 compliant, apparently they are releasing the BS6 petrol cars slowly to finish off their Diesels first with good discounts but my family is a petrol fan (Lancer 2008 Petrol, Honda Accord 2012 Petrol, Verna VTVT(O) Petrol 2013, Creta Petrol 2015)

And now its reverse, The Petrols with low margin are 2 lacs expensive than Diesels at the moment, would resale be an issue since there would not be any registration of BS4 cars after April 2020 or may be they allow re registration of cars purchased before April 2020. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 27th March 2019 at 07:00. Reason: Typo fixed
Old 5th April 2019, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddylaw View Post
Would anyone know if the new BMW X1Diesel is also BS6 compliant, apparently they are releasing the BS6 petrol cars slowly to finish off their Diesels first with good discounts but my family is a petrol fan (Lancer 2008 Petrol, Honda Accord 2012 Petrol, Verna VTVT(O) Petrol 2013, Creta Petrol 2015)

And now its reverse, The Petrols with low margin are 2 lacs expensive than Diesels at the moment, would resale be an issue since there would not be any registration of BS4 cars after April 2020 or may be they allow re registration of cars purchased before April 2020. Thanks in advance.
I also have the same query as some dealers are offering large discount on cars especially those which do not have a petrol variant (like S Cross & TUV). I am confused and would like to understand if, from a long term perspective, it is worth buying a discounted diesel car (BS IV) now?
Old 5th April 2019, 13:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
may be they allow re registration of cars purchased before April 2020. Thanks in advance.
I presume by re registration you are referring to resale/change of ownership. I believe there wouldn't be any problems in Future. Just like how we can sell BS III vehicles in the used market today.

Even value of BS IV diesel wouldn't fall in the market. On the contrary, i believe there would be a good demand for diesel vehicles, as BS VI would make diesel powertrains expensive.
Old 5th April 2019, 13:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
I presume by re registration you are referring to resale/change of ownership. I believe there wouldn't be any problems in Future. Just like how we can sell BS III vehicles in the used market today.

Even value of BS IV diesel wouldn't fall in the market. On the contrary, i believe there would be a good demand for diesel vehicles, as BS VI would make diesel powertrains expensive.
The BMW X1 petrol now has a "BS6 compliant",( thats the trick here) - compliant might be a Euro5 engine that becomes a BS6 compliant in India, is there a method by which we can find out exact engine type through engine number. And is it now mandatory to write on the RC ,emission norms and BS compliant status. Diesels would be at a greater discount by year end 2019 if at all any inventory is left by then.
Old 15th August 2019, 09:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

what would be the impact on BS3 and older engines? would they be able to manage the same way?
Old 18th August 2019, 23:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what would be the impact on BS3 and older engines? would they be able to manage the same way?
Hi greenhorn,
If the engine is able to cope up with BS4 fuel, it wont be an issue with BS6 fuel too. But the question remains, how long will it be allowed to run BS3 engine on the Indian road.
pious_devil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 08:52   #22
BHPian

Here is an interesting information shared by Maruti Suzuki India.

All Maruti BS6 petrol engines can run on BS4 petrol without any adverse effect.

Quote:
Adding that BS6 petrol cars can also run on BS4 petrol, Maruti Suzuki said that it tested all its BS6 petrol cars with BS 4 fuel and found no operational issues.
Source :- https://www.timesnownews.com/amp/aut...mpression=true
Old 21st August 2019, 09:49   #23
BHPian

I have an eight year old BS3 diesel - now starting to wonder what i am getting into, once Bs6 regime comes in. I must admit I havent researched enough on the dates involved, when you will eventually stop getting BS4 fuel in cities like Pune, etc.

The question on how long BS3 engines will be allowed to be used however exists, but hopefully i will dispose this car off next year ( if I am able to find a buyer that is ). Have never sold a car btw ( my first one still runs well , given to someone in the family - it has now been re-registered , into its 16th year now.)
Old 30th August 2019, 21:19   #24
BHPian

BS4 vehicles on BS6 Fuel

The trigger for starting this thread was an article in ET Auto, which is pasted below.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...g-car/70876386

Europe and India as well saw different revisions to Emission Standards and each subsequent revision leaves lot of vehicles which have to run on new grades of fuels.

If what the article says is true about less lubricity of Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) affecting BS4 engines , then we are looking at a potentially huge problem.
Old 30th August 2019, 22:03   #25
BHPian

Re: BS4 vehicles on BS6 Fuel

The article mentions that BS6 diesel has 5 times less sulphur (10 ppm) as compared to BS4 diesel (50 ppm)
As any marine engineer on this forum will point out, for Low Sulphur fuels, in the maritime field, we are supplied a separate grade of cylinder oil to cater to these low sulphur fuels oils.
We can expect our fuel suppliers to provide costly additives to help with cylinder lubrication but in this case the additives burning along with the BS6 diesel should not allow the pollution levels to exceed BS6 standards.

Then does it make sense to even buy a BS4 vehicle now - just 7 whole months short of the 31st March 2020 deadline.
Yes the Finance minister has mentioned that it can be operated till its registration lasts but a person buying a BS4 vehicle today will have 14 and half years of operating that vehicle with BS6 fuels. Can the customer afford a cylinder overhaul in that time frame.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 21:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

If you have a German / European car bought after 2011 you generally shouldn't have to worry about harmful effects of BS6 on your engine - read that as injection systems and fuel pump.

This is because most of these cars would have been made compatible with Euro 5 which came into effect around Sept 2011.

Euro 5 has the ultra low sulphur diesel with 10ppm. So most of the cars sold after 2011 would have been designed to handle the lubricity levels of the current BS6.

This is also the reason why these cars couldn't handle BS4 fuel and there were lots of cars with fuel injector problems and fuel pump problems.

This would not be the case going forward and most VW / Skoda / German trio / etc should run better and with lesser issues hopefully.

The increased sulphur content was also the reason why manufacturer handbook recommended oil were not what was supplied by the ASS. VW recommended 507.00 which was the oil for ULSD fuel. However in India the ASS would use 502.00 or 505.00 and this was sufficient.

Once BS6 fuels are available, it would be better for BS4 diesels - 1.6 TDI, 1.5 TDI etc to start using only oils that support the use of ULSD such as the 507.00 VW standard and NOT the 505.00 / 502.00 being used now.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 22:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

The increased sulphur content was also the reason why manufacturer handbook recommended oil were not what was supplied by the ASS. VW recommended 507.00 which was the oil for ULSD fuel. However in India the ASS would use 502.00 or 505.00 and this was sufficient.

Once BS6 fuels are available, it would be better for BS4 diesels - 1.6 TDI, 1.5 TDI etc to start using only oils that support the use of ULSD such as the 507.00 VW standard and NOT the 505.00 / 502.00 being used now.
I found this interesting about an engine oil (Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40) that conforms to VW 505.01 standard, yet it has a disclaimer* to only use it in conjunction with sulphur-free diesel (ULSD). That actually seems great for VW and related cars in India, which don't have a diesel particulate filter.

Using this engine oil with BS-6 fuel can be the way forward, without having to use engine oils conforming to VW 507.00 standard.

* The disclaimer can be found under Additional Information here - https://products.liqui-moly.com/top-...0-5w-40-3.html

Last edited by halfbytecode : 7th October 2019 at 22:39.
Old 11th December 2019, 19:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why I think BS6 / BSVI diesel won't harm BS4 / BSIV engines

Anyone running Multijet engine with BSVI diesel? Are there any specific observations w.r.t engine heating, performance etc.
Old 11th December 2019, 20:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The BMW X1 petrol now has a "BS6 compliant",( thats the trick here) - compliant might be a Euro5 engine that becomes a BS6 compliant in India,

And is it now mandatory to write on the RC ,emission norms and BS compliant status.
It has to be BSVI certified, else RC would clearly mention BSIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
I have an eight year old BS3 diesel - now starting to wonder what i am getting into, once Bs6 regime comes in. I must admit I havent researched enough on the dates involved, when you will eventually stop getting BS4 fuel in cities like Pune, etc.
As of Oct 1, 2019 BSVI fuel is being supplied across all districts of NCR. Focus is currently more on North and NCR region due to pollution issue.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bs6-fuel-...report-2072678
Old 27th December 2019, 11:46   #30
BHPian

Unfortunately I haven't done my research on this subject, from what I am reading here, my S-Cross with a 1.3 diesel should run just fine on BS6 diesel.
The below article also says
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...nswered/35280/
"BS6 fuel has five times less sulphur content in comparison to BS4 fuel. This could cause issues to the fuel injector over the long run due to lack of lubrication, leading to a faster rate of wear."

Are there any precautions we need to take care or add any additives to be added to the BS6 diesel to work with BS4 diesel engines ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks