Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2006, 09:51   #1

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Mitsubishi iCar

i was browsing through today's HIndustan times and in the ht City came across this article.it's about mitsubishi entering the indian market with a small car.Could not find a link to the article so am posting what was written in the article for those who cant get their hands on the ht city delhi.

"The icar will be built in hindustan motor's tiruvallur plant in tamil nadu.However initially it will come through SKD(semi knocked down) state.The iCar powered by a 600cc 3-cylinder engine is on sale in japan.According to estimates the price of the icar is expected to be around 7lacs.while that would be steep for a car that is aimed at the segment involving such contenders as the alto amongst others,yet the SKD route might knock down the price a few notches.it might also be the case that the indian arm of the operation will be mainly responsible for manufacturing it for export.
The icar has picked up its basics from the smart FourTwo and has benefits like a light steering and a good power transmission.though we are still apprehensive about the success of the icar in the indian market,it might be said that a choice of a funky design might regale those who consider style to be supreme.
the icar is expected to come to india sometime next year.till then one can hardly make any real predictions."

7lacs
even is the price comes down a little it will still be close to 5lac.
Has anybody heard of anything like this before or is the newspaper just making assumptions.

Last edited by hellspawn : 19th December 2006 at 09:54. Reason: attaching pic
Old 19th December 2006, 09:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why would anybody buy a 600cc car for 7 Lacs... They will be out of their mind when you can get the top end Swift 1.3 with climate control and airbags for 5.5L... I think mitsubishi though having launched good cars will lose its hold on the market...

Godfather
Old 19th December 2006, 09:56   #3

my thoughts exactly.and the part about people buying the car for its looks.you can get a chevy srv for 7lacs and its a damn good looking car.
Old 19th December 2006, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Well, unless the car comes in a hybrid version with very good fuel-efficiency, it is unlikely to succeed in the indian market. Again we are yet to look at the exact specifications.

But consider the fact that most hybrid cars come with battery powered as well as fuel-powered operations. The initial torque of battery powered-DC motors is very good for the stop and go traffic. And at high-way speeds you don't really need the power of a V-8 in a cruising mode.. So this might be a very fuel-efficient combination.

Consider the fact that most indians can afford to have only one car, and then they have to make a choice between petrol/diesel for city/highway usage. Also, Considering the fact that most manufacturers are going diesel by bringing in CRDI technology, etc. It might be a futuristic move from Mitsubishi to bring in a car that is ideal for both Highway and City use.

Here is the link: http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...187&frame=true

Green-Car-Guide.com

I am sure Mitsubishi as a company will explore the market segment very carefully before launching their products.

Last edited by man23ish : 19th December 2006 at 12:32. Reason: Adding Link !!
Old 19th December 2006, 13:04   #5
Team-BHP Support

What the hell have these guys been smoking?
As it is Mitsubishi are making a very late entry in this segment and now 7 Lakhs for this? What the hell have these guys been smoking? There are many better cars available for that sort of money. The iCar needs a much bigger engine and a much lower price if it has to even think of attracting customers in India.
Old 19th December 2006, 13:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The iCar needs a much bigger engine and a much lower price if it has to even think of attracting customers in India.
Exactly..the indian car buyer has the mantality that for this amount he can have a better car...Who here cares for hibrid cars??Its all about the looks / costs / and most importantly FE... be it diesel or petrol..also we forgot... instead of this they will still prefer the Ford Fiesta...best FE till date from a family sedan...

Think about it

Godfather
Old 19th December 2006, 13:20   #7
BANNED

This is just a rekindled, stirred and shaken news they collected from some websites and some car magazines I think.

The car looks promising. But the pricetag?? Nay.... That's a bluff!! I assume.
Old 19th December 2006, 13:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

i am pretty certain the japanese are not buying that car for even 4 lakhs. so whats the 7 lakhs for ? maybe a typo. LOL
Old 19th December 2006, 15:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

That I car looks smarter than any small car out today, to me. Atleast its still on sale in Japan! If pricing is correct, i might swap that with my Santro.
Old 19th December 2006, 16:01   #10

doesnt this car look similar to the toyota aygo.
for 7lacs,i guess the car would be having abs,airbags,ebd,climate control.remove all these and i think they can touch the 4.5-5 lac range but again engine is a problem.
and if they are planning to export this car,i dont think there is any market which would accept a .6ltr engine.
Old 19th December 2006, 16:12   #11
BANNED

If Fiat can replace a 1.2 Ltr engine with a 1.1 and still improve the FE and power response, then it's no surprise that Mitsu with support from Merc etc.. can build a .6Ltr engine which can beat the hell out of some 1ltr engines.

Let's get the figures of this li'l thingy first guys!
Old 19th December 2006, 17:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

I think the article doesnt have any base...

Please consider these contrasting points..

1. The article says he car is ideally suited to Indian a2 segment, with alto and m800.... And the same says it is expected to be priced at 7L...

2. The article says the company plans to introduce the car in the SKD route... Wont that increase the price too much??? In the higher segments, it could be ok... But in this price concious segment...

3. The article itself makes it clear that only info they have got is one official saying the company is 'EXAMINING' the possibility of launching it in India...

4. The car is yet to be introduced in europe... They have only launched it in Japan by 05 end...

5. Rear mounted engine... Its going to really affect NVH levels if not properly isolated from cabin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If Fiat can replace a 1.2 Ltr engine with a 1.1 and still improve the FE and power response, then it's no surprise that Mitsu with support from Merc etc.. can build a .6Ltr engine which can beat the hell out of some 1ltr engines.

Let's get the figures of this li'l thingy first guys!
Engine: 597 cc 3- cylinder turbocharged intercooled petrol
Power: 63 bhp at 6200 rpm
Torque: 61 lb ft at 4800 rpm

Looks from rear are really bad... see this///

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th December 2006 at 17:18.
Old 19th December 2006, 18:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IEngine: 597 cc 3- cylinder turbocharged intercooled petrol
Power: 63 bhp at 6200 rpm
Torque: 61 lb ft at 4800 rpm
Those figures are definitely better than M800 and Alto. But cost
Old 19th December 2006, 21:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Those figures are definitely better than M800 and Alto. But cost

you forgot that its turbocharged and skd route

fiat and tata and hyundai is trying to get smaller engines into their cars to sell it at a lower price coz of that tax exemption and even the cedia costs just 8.2lac! ( starting price).

another bad press joke
Old 21st June 2010, 17:29   #15
BHPian

I saw the Mitsubishi icar with test number plate at Coimbatore today. Sorry, no pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks