Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2018, 14:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota & Suzuki to supply cars to each other in India

We need to see as a company Suzuki changes from Suzuki > Suyota > Toyota
or
Toyota Cars changes from Toyota > Toyuki > Suzuki

I prefer the former. If it works out we may see VW going back to TML for partnership, ford working with Mahindra etc.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 14:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
Step 3. They will give the car a new name (for example Suzuki altrolla or something)
A strong feeling it will have the design cues (of) and called Kizashi
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 14:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

This seems like taking forward their joint agreement to make electric vehicles.

I am guessing Toyota plans to use the Baleno and Brezza as gliders for their Hybrids / EVs. While, Maruti will continue selling them with IC engines.

Without altering the body, a little changes here and there in the looks and Toyota will have two 'all new' entries in the EV / Hybrid space.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 15:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I am guessing Toyota plans to use the Baleno and Brezza as gliders for their Hybrids / EVs. While, Maruti will continue selling them with IC engines.
EV arrangement is such that Suzuki will build cars for Toyota with technology coming from Toyota.

Here the plan is to use the idle capacity available at Toyota while increasing its market share from the current level.

Could also be the Vitara Brezza (petrol variant) will have the 1.5L petrol engine from Toyota
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 15:37   #20
BHPian

How will the service part be handled for such cars in future? Will it be done by Toyota or Suzuki or can be done in both? Anyway excellent move by Toyota to make use of Suzuki's cars. Will they be re-engineered to suit each other's philosophy?
Old 29th March 2018, 15:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki & Toyota considering a partnership? EDIT: Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
ACI reports says, it will not be badge engineered products but will retain its own identity.
I somehow doubt it, given the wording of the press release. The two companies are not sharing platforms enabling each to come up with their own products (like VW-Skoda-Seat), but will "supply" a certain number of vehicles to each other. So it seems like the Vitara Brezza and Baleno sold under Toyota brand will be built and supplied to Toyota by MSIL, whereas the Corolla sold under Maruti brand will be built and supplied to MSIL by TKML. In this scenario, I doubt if any significant change will be made to the cars, other than the badges.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 16:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Although it is still early to say whether the partnership will stand the test of time: the Indian car buyer benefit from this collaboration: the coming together of two leading automobile companies result in the formation of an oligarchy of sorts; the Toyuki/Suyota story is important because in a market populated by companies whose primary principles and values are not just different but also divergent, the two Japanese companies can sure find a lot in common; their nationality providing the proverbial fevicol ki jod!

OT: In my town, there are four main suppliers of bottled drinking water. While the others were charging ₹40-50, one of them started giving out a 20l can for ₹20 last year. To further consolidate his business, he promised to reduce the per can price to ₹10 provided the customer agrees to invest in a new-design can. We all did and enjoyed the fruits of the new scheme for three months.

Now, the said vendor has displayed a notice saying that all the local suppliers have united under a single banner and have decided not to sell the cans at less than ₹30!

Do we have a lesson here?
dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 16:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Now, this reminds me of few questions. Can the 1.4 D4D from Toyota be used in the Ciaz, Brezza, Baleno ? And I am not sure if the Fiat sourced 1.3 MJD is licensed to be sold under a Toyota. Or is the badge engineering limited only to the petrol versions of the respective models?
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 17:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Having experienced the difference in quality between Toyota and Maruti, I'm not sure how this is going to benefit either of these companies.

And what does the user get at the end of the day ?

A Maruti branded as a Toyota with an increased price and a stripped down Corolla with a lesser price ? I don't consider this as any benefit.

Even from a business perspective, all sorts of such experiments have failed miserably in India. Let it be Renault/Nissan or VW/Skoda.

The only good thing out of this is Maruti's access to Toyota's EV and hybrid technology. But, I couldn't find any sense whatsoever in the Breeza/Corolla/Baleno jugaad! I hope, better sense prevails for both these manufacturers. Both these legendary brands will end up selling their own unique identities and brand value with this move.

Last edited by amalji : 29th March 2018 at 17:37.
amalji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Official Press Release :

https://www.toyotabharat.com/news/20...-in-india.html

However one interesting thing is while Baleno is sold through the NEXA outlet & Brezza through the Suzuki Arena, incase of Toyota they will be sold under the same outlet.

While Corolla I believe will be sold through the NEXA Channel.

TATA - FIAT too had a JV but in that case the sales exec. would lure a FIAT buyer to the TATA product. In this case a Corolla customer in Suzuki Arena may be lured to the Ciaz. (just my thought)

Overall its a good strategy, Toyota will not have to invest in a Baleno / Brezza Segment (from scratch), instead can utilize Suzuki's low cost Platform and tech expertise.
Old 29th March 2018, 18:31   #26
BHPian

This is a masterstroke from Toyota and definitely a move done with an eye on the long term dominance of the Indian market. I too second the suggestion that Suzuki may become a subsidiary of Toyota in the long run and that's not a bad thing!

My wish list in the short term would be a Brezza with Toyota build quality and the 1.5L petrol from Yaris. A cut price Corolla Altis with the Suzuki nameplate may help Suzuki to attack Honda (City) from 2 flanks. This is going to be interesting!
octane_100 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 21:46   #27
BHPian

We might be seeing the decade-old power window switches from the first Swift on the upcoming Corolla!

Jokes apart, even I feel there might be a major identity crisis for the vehicles shared with both the brands under this partnership. I personally feel, both the brands must put the other's core strengths to good use - the market presence and reach of Suzuki, and the thoroughbred engineering and peace-of-mind guarantee of Toyota. Not to mention Toyota's extensive expertise with hybrid and electric powertrains. But, as GTO mentioned, kudos to Toyota for pulling off such a venture with Suzuki in a market as competitive and trend-sensitive as India.
RoverX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 22:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

I still don't understand if and how this benefits consumers in any way in immediate run when this comes into play.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 22:22   #29
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2018 at 08:41.
yeshu2016 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th March 2018, 08:47   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I still don't understand if and how this benefits consumers in any way in immediate run when this comes into play.
It doesn't. This 'car sharing' thing is only announced to keep their respective shareholders happy and make it sound like a real deal. Stock markets work on short-term thinking & results, not long-term.

In the mid-term, Maruti customers will benefit as they'll get electrification + other tech that Suzuki would have never been able to offer otherwise.

In the long-term, Toyota benefits as it'll swallow Suzuki (or at least get significant stake in the company).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I prefer the former. If it works out we may see VW going back to TML for partnership
VW & Tata together in the same room would be a clash of cultures. It's different with both these Japanese companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
How will the service part be handled for such cars in future? Will it be done by Toyota or Suzuki or can be done in both?
Can you take a Vento in a Skoda workshop for service? It'll work on similar lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Can the 1.4 D4D from Toyota be used in the Ciaz, Brezza, Baleno ?
Oh please no! That 1.4L makes so much turbo-lag in the higher tune that it would be a poor choice . Maruti is anyway developing its own 1.5L diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
We might be seeing the decade-old power window switches from the first Swift on the upcoming Corolla!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks