Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 19:19   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota & Suzuki to supply cars to each other in India

The board of Maruti Suzuki, India's largest car maker, has approved company’s plans to source Brezza from Toyota.

-The Brezza will be manufactured at one of the two factories of Toyota Kirloskar Motors in 2022 ,without having to make any investment in its partner's capacity.

-Toyota will also sell Brezza, but with modifications

- Baleno, will be the first model to be sold by Toyota later this year.

-The changes that Toyota intends to make to the Brezza before retailing it through its showrooms, remains undisclosed

-Maruti Suzuki will continue to be the sole manufacturer of the Baleno. A derivative of the car will be sold to Toyota Kirloskar.

-Toyota Hybrid System will be provided in future products of the company

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 5014
Size:  107.6 KB
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 4669
Size:  45.9 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th March 2019 at 19:23.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 10:25   #122
BHPian

I don't know how many auto pundits will agree but this strategy of MSIL is working wonders.

Enforcing the CAFE norms which makes it profitable selling segment leaders in terms of efficiency and also for Toyota which has very low FE models, to take up some high FE models for segments unexplored for them and be safe for CAFE before its implemented.
Old 7th April 2019, 13:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Toyota will plonk their own 1.5 litre petrol engine in the Brezza since it's a diesel only model. Wonder what is taking Maruti do the same itself. My take is Maruti is readying against the other giant from Korea which is coming in the market. Since Kia & Hyundai are sister companies together they could make a dent in Maruti's pie, Suzuki must have joined with the mighty Toyota to make sure they have something to push back the Korean onslaught. Expect newer cars from Maruti to be born and bred hybrids.
Old 9th April 2019, 13:40   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota shelves its plan of the New Corolla for India, to not upgrade Corolla beyond 2020,

Quote:
While Corolla was part of the earlier discussions, it was decided that the C segment sedan is a failing segment and would not be enough to justify business even with combined volumes of Maruti and Toyota
Maruti can’t get a mid-size sedan for India.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th April 2019 at 13:42.
Old 9th April 2019, 14:31   #125
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is because of the next Corolla based on TNGA which is completely different architecture. So investing for this and having just one model with low volume may not be financially justifying for them.
Old 9th April 2019, 14:38   #126
BHPian

The next generation Toyota Corolla is a beautiful car. I do hope they think over this decision and launch it.
But then they will need a diesel automatic to sell in India, which I dont think is possible post 2020. Hybrid will be too expensive for India.
Old 10th April 2019, 02:26   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota shelves its plan of the New Corolla for India, to not upgrade Corolla beyond 2020,

Just when the Corolla started to get really desirable they are pulling the plug, that too when Honda brought the Civic back.

Know that your birdies are right most of the times, but hope they are wrong this time

If they really feel the segment, or rather sedans as a whole are losing sales, bring on the CH-R, Rav4 or the new model that's going to sit between the above two.
Atleast bring the new Rush. It may look weird in photos but IRL it has the kinda street cred of the new Pajero sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I guess this is because of the next Corolla based on TNGA which is completely different architecture. So investing for this and having just one model with low volume may not be financially justifying for them.
Not a valid reason.
1. They have already launched the new Camry here, assembled.
2. Except for the ND engine shared with the Etios family, the Corolla doesn't have anything in common with other models in the stable, except maybe that ubiquitous Toyota cruise stalk.
If they really want parts commonality and volume sharing, they should be bringing new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The next generation Toyota Corolla is a beautiful car. I do hope they think over this decision and launch it.
But then they will need a diesel automatic to sell in India, which I dont think is possible post 2020. Hybrid will be too expensive for India.
Honda brought the Civic in diesel/auto combo. That's beside the point, cause Toyota is globally pushing towards hybrids.

So if they are going to walk the talk, they have to bring in the Corolla hybrid. Have to wait and see if they are going to give the Yaris a second chance with hybrid tech, but a Corolla hybrid would have had more desirability and also cushion the higher pricing.

Also I guess a hybrid wouldn't be much expensive than a BSVI diesel.
Old 10th April 2019, 16:23   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

For a change Toyota designed a good looking Corolla for the 2019-20 model year, better looking than the current gen Civic, and now they've rumoured to have decided not to launch it here. Wow! That's disappointing.
Old 11th April 2019, 11:32   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For a change Toyota designed a good looking Corolla for the 2019-20 model year, better looking than the current gen Civic, and now they've rumoured to have decided not to launch it here. Wow! That's disappointing.
Not just good looking; going by the international reviews it is quite good to drive as well. I won't be surprised if brand Toyota will just focus on UVs and sedan/hatchbacks will go with the Suzuki badge.
Old 11th April 2019, 18:08   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not just good looking; going by the international reviews it is quite good to drive as well. I won't be surprised if brand Toyota will just focus on UVs and sedan/hatchbacks will go with the Suzuki badge.
I'm not really sure what to make of this rumour. Here they want to discontinue the Corolla because of BS6 & supposed low sales and there they begin assembly of the near-German-Big-3 priced Camry Hybrid which barely does high double digits in sales.

And then, to top it off one must remember the same 2ZR-FE 1.8 L engine is in service in the US especially in California which is reputed to have one of the toughest emission norms in the world. Why is it a problem to tune this for BS6 when petrol is also expected to be brought in in line with BS6 requirements?

Well, if the Corolla exits the D1 sedan segment the new Civic and the Octavia have one less competitor to deal with. Good for them.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 11:42   #131
BHPian

Toyota launching Baleno this month as per report from Rushlane. Never knew it would be so quick. Not sure it would be good or bad for brand Toyota though. Just hope Toyota does not go Honda way. I am sure everybody understands what I mean

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-bale...05488.html/amp

Last edited by gupta_chd : 21st April 2019 at 11:46.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 15:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

A friend looking to buy a Yaris inquired about this as well with a handful of Toyota dealers. There is zero information on this vehicle with anyToyota dealer. Lets see how true this is, about the car launching so soon.
Old 21st April 2019, 16:30   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Toyota launching Baleno this month as per report from Rushlane. Never knew it would be so quick. Not sure it would be good or bad for brand Toyota though. Just hope Toyota does not go Honda way. I am sure everybody understands what I mean

https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-bale...05488.html/amp
As per some Toyota suppliers I know, the launch is scheduled in June 2019.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 11:02   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota-badged Baleno launch around June 2019.

Code named Toyota A11, the hatch is expected to come with only a petrol engine - Engine details unknown - will it be the 1.2/1.0/1.2 Dual Jet ?

Quote:
There are talks of the A11 being available only on the higher trims, which means that Toyota might discontinue higher variants of the Etios in order to avoid overlap

Toyota & Suzuki to supply cars to each other in India-1.jpg
Quote:
Baleno-based hatchback (Codename: A11) to sit above the Toyota Etios; will be the first of many more shared products.
Quote:
This new hatchback has been internally codenamed A11, various component suppliers for the Maruti Suzuki Baleno have already started dispatching parts for the A11 hatchback. The new hatchback will be built at Toyota's Bidadi plant in Karnataka.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2019 at 11:09.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 15:21   #135
BHPian

So the build is by Maruti and Toyota only becomes a Seller? How is that going to make a difference for a car buyer? If I have to buy a Baleno I would go to a Maruti. Why should I choose a Toyota?
gopalnt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks