Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Which car do you want to grow old with?

Logged in after a long time and this is such a refreshing thread! Thanks OP.

Okay, so here is my list.

1. BMW E92 M3
Which car do you want to grow old with?-korncarsbmwm3i.jpg

Preferably in manual, and the same colour as in the picture.

My poster car since a better part of a decade now, I would love to have one in my garage someday. This is not only my most favourite M3 (or BMW for that matter), this is my dream. The new engines are no match for the stonker of a V8 under the hood, producing a healthy 414 horsepower. Anyways, numbers are not even half the game played when it comes to cars, at least that's what my opinion is.

The E92 M3 is the perfect representation of a proper car for me, and will probably always will be. Lucky to have been born in a time period where driving pleasure was still a huge deciding factor in making a car, the M3 will be reminiscent of the time when I actually started exploring the beautiful world of cars.

I won't mind a Tesla as a daily, as long as I have this for the weekends.

2. Maruti Gypsy
Which car do you want to grow old with?-gypsy.jpg

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post4214941

What can I say, I never grew out of the dream. As an Indian, this is one car that makes me proud. My eyes still hunt for a soft top Gypsy in army green when I pass through army camps. Have lots of memories with this Maruti, travelling through the forests of Madhya Pradesh, trundling around silently to not disturb the wildlife and also smashing through rocks and climbing steep mountains in North Bengal in 4L. Yes, the ride is harsh, and it doesn't go that fast, but the Gypsy is simply something else for me. Just writing about it is giving me goosebumps!

3. Ford Classic 1.6 aka TooFun
Which car do you want to grow old with?-toofun.jpg

Last but not the least, the car that I grew up with. Enough said!
petrolhead_neel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well, probably I’ll be looking out for a petrol powered RS cars (mostly used ones) from the VW family as Diesels won’t be around as passenger cars and I’m sure it’d be under the hammer by then!

Alternatively, some EV powered cars from T brand to convince myself that I’m contributing to some percentage of saving environment.

T - certainly not Tesla! It’s our own Tata

I’m pretty much positive Tata would be giving their best in the next decade when they roll out the EV sedan they showcased as a concept! Fingers crossed and claps for Tata
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Assuming that you will keep your ride for the next 7-10 years, looking for your preferences as we age, both ourselves and the cars.
Quote:
Assuming that the oil burners are going to be the T Rexs of the future?
Quote:
I guess this is running on the minds of every Petrol head? We just have about a decade before we are probably all passengers ?
What an interesting question Arjun - not least because I too am in my early 40s, and our generation will most emphatically be straddling the internal combustion engine and electric vehicle eras.

Now I'm no futurologist, but it stands to reason that performance vehicles will only improve with time. Heck, even the daily rides of today often offer better performance (as well as safety and comfort) features than many of the luxury barges of the '80s, when I came of age automotively. So I would definitely opt for a car (or cars) with soul, which can age gracefully, and which are fun to drive. They should also be a little future-proof, which is why all but one of my recommendations is a current or future model.

Here then is my list:

Oil burners (diesels)
1. Range Rover 4.4L SDV8 Autobiograpy
2. 2019 Land Rover Defender (wonder what the rebooted model will look like, its apparently going to be unveiled later this year)

Petrols
1. Porsche 911 (preferably a 993 series, the last of the air-cooled 911s)
2. McLaren Senna
3. Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
4. Bentley Continental GT V8 S
5. Range Rover 5L V8 Supercharged Autobiography
6. Aston Martin DB11 / DB11 Volante
7. Jaguar XE / XF
8. Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon (preferably an AEV conversion, complete with their 6.4L V8 HEMI engine - am assuming they will soon be coming up with upgrades for the JL, along the lines of the JK)
9. VW Golf GTI (or its country cousin, the Skoda Octavia RS, for us desis)
10. anything from the Morgan stable (did someone say future-proof??!)
11. 2019 BMW 3 Series / M3

Hybrids / EVs
1. McLaren P1
2. Ferrari Le Ferrari (will have to find a willing seller, though!)

Going over my list, it doesn't take a Ramanujan to figure out that:
(A) having driven all three types, I am more partial to petrol cars than diesels or EVs; and
(B) the clean designs and performance-oriented cars of VAG and JLR appeal to me way more than the offerings of other automotive manufacturers!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 2nd April 2018 at 18:57.
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:06   #34
BHPian

Wish to own a Subaru Forester AWD (if it ever comes here) and keep it for life. This will be a vehicle which would not let me feel the lack of anything essential in a car. Even one or two generation old Foresters would also do.
Second option would be a Lada Niva 4x4, this car has baffled the automotive reviewers with its perseverance.
gatsby_great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:40   #35
NTO
BHPian

I grew up with a wagon R LXi. The free revving 1.1L motor, was among the best engines i have experienced in a small hatch till date compared to the fuel efficiency focused hatch backs today. We had it for 8 years out of which the first two years, I was not in the legal age to drive. As soon as I got the license to drive, I have never given the driver seat to anyone else. I learnt to drive, in this machine, got a few pin stripes around it and let it go after good 6 years when we upgraded to Volkswagen Vento Highline TDi in 2014. The day when we saw her for the last time at the Volkswagen Showroom in Chennai.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-img-1.jpg
Which car do you want to grow old with?-img-2.jpg

Then a year passed and I completed my MBA and was earning sufficient to bring in a second car into our garage. Went a bit away from the regular swift and i20s of the world and bought a Italian Beauty, the fiat Punto. Vento and Punto are the daily drivers in my disposal. Hence my handle name, "NTO".

I am in love with both these cars and would love to have them as long as they could run (both in terms of reliability and legality). Not sure when these beauties would be banned from being driven on our roads, both being diesels.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-img-3.jpg
Which car do you want to grow old with?-img-4.jpg

I can never imagine driving around in an electric car. I am sure of not giving up both these cars when I add another car to my garage. I still miss my Wagon R!
NTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 11:46   #36
BHPian

Call me old school, But I would like to have a Contessa in British Racing Green with some dash of chrome to grow old with.

Doing the endless tinkering, Getting the hands dirty, Looking Cool.

What else in Indian roads will beat that feeling of maintaining and owning a shining Contessa ? Period.
Asish_VK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:29   #37
BHPian

My growing old with one car choice would be Toyota Hilux, if and when it can be launched. If have multiple choices then I'd go with a Skoda Octavia, a Brio and a Hexa
gauravanekar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 12:59   #38
BHPian

As I grow old, performance and consistency would most probably take over my hunger to drive a powerful engine at this point in time. I would most probably settle for a decent C2 segment car like the 'Honda City'. Here are few of the parameters I considered:
1) Not too long, yet spacious
2) Not a rocket, but a rev-friendly engine
3) The ageing and depreciation factor is manageable. The car can deliver 90% performance after driving for 60,000 kms+
Ashish0485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:20   #39
BHPian

I would like to grow old with the following cars out of my garage, the Manual E46-325i-2004, Honda city VTEC-2000 and Civic 2009. All of them takes me to a different level, every time I touch them.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car do you want to grow old with?-img20161217wa0014.jpg  

Which car do you want to grow old with?-img20180219wa0005.jpg  

Which car do you want to grow old with?-20150415_160258.jpg  

dip27in is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:28   #40
BHPian

THE Tata Safari Storme
Which car do you want to grow old with?-20150123_114709.jpg

For me, I've always had a soft spot for the Safari ever since it's launch & was always a dream to have now. Now that dream is reality & drive it everyday.

It may not have the bells & whistles of the world, almost no new technology in it in terms of feature, but that's never the reason why buys the Safari. You buy it for the pure raw feel. And that my friends, is timeless.
rohansachar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:36   #41
BHPian

I would like to go against the tide here and say that I would actually like to grow old with an electric car. All the nostalgia, connection & "feel" we talk about seem to be such constructed ideas, perhaps by advertising campaigns. They seem to blind rationality and logic.

My main priority for a car to grow old with would be a car that doesn't grow old at all. What if you could buy a car that essentially doesn't need major maintenance because it has minimal moving parts, constantly gets updated OTA, and has minimal long-term wear and tear. Also, I wouldn't want to be in a situation in the future where my car has no source of fuel (aka non-renewable fossil fuel)

Also, shouldn't we want cars that allow for our future generations to answer this question as well? Let's start change at the enthusiast level. The honest truth is, electric cars are more fun to drive for a regular consumer (read instant torque), and all those test track comparisons don't tell the complete story.

The only downside might be the lack of charging infrastructure in India. Well, in that case, I am ready to compromise with a plug-in hybrid. (Hopefully we are going to have many of those soon)
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 13:57   #42
BHPian

We've had one policy in our family for vehicles: no selling!

Right from my dad's 24 years old CD100,our 12 year old santro, my 7 years old Karizma to our 1 year old Hexa. They age with us complimented by the memories each one holds.

Would love to grow old with these along with the new additions that may come up in future to the garage!
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:35   #43
BHPian

For me it would be the E60 M5. the classy design is what caught my attention when launched. Yeah its slower than the modern day M5's , but given a wish, id pick this over any other bimmer i know of.
Ne0N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 14:47   #44
BHPian

My first thought was to grow old with a Mahindra Thar as I've always had a soft spot for it. But on further reflection, I'm not sure if a Thar will be the best companion in my old age.

If I were given the choice to keep just car for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose the Mercedes-Benz W123.
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:13   #45
BHPian

Very Interesting thread. I started thinking on these grounds from the past 3 years. Generally what are all Cars/Bikes which can keep me smiling throughout my life time.

Made the list and started with Bikes which I own today are.
  1. 2015 Triumph Bonneville (Air/Oil cooled) (Accomplished)
  2. 2016 KTM Duke 390 (Accomplished)

Cars I am planning are
  1. Toyota Fortuner 3.0 AWD
  2. Honda Accord 3.5 V6/Skoda Octavia RS
  3. Swift (Accomplished)
PISTONS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks