Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Which car do you want to grow old with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
But given an option, I'd buy a BMW M5 (E60) and keep her till eternity. She's my dream. A perfect car for the weekdays and family outings and also those racetrack days where you just wanna push. That naturally aspirated V10 has a charm of its own and infact the F10 M5 doesn't thug straight at my heart strings as the E60 M5 does.
Spoken from the heart. Unfortunately, as an owner of the E60 M5, I would conclude that it is not possible to keep this beast going without feeding it big time. Maintenance costs are a bomb, especially as the car grows older. And it's a fuel guzzler.

Full marks on the second point though, the V10 is more engaging than the V8 TC on the F10 M5.
Kn1ght1941 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 16:43   #47
BHPian

Interesting thread, something which I had given thought to long before this thread came into existence.

The ideal car I would like to keep is a 1972 Mercedes-Benz 600 Grosser.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-600s.jpeg

Since it's next to impossible to keep one in top condition for us mortals, I'd go with a Suzuki Gypsy and a Fiesta 1.6 from early 2000's.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-gypsy.jpg

Which car do you want to grow old with?-fiesta1.jpg

I want to go for cars with very minimal electronics since I am quite paranoid when it comes to data security and am one of those who want to stay away from Cyber singularity. I just cannot sit in a car knowing that someone can hack into it and control it with me and my family inside. Same goes for the smart home applications.
nerd1200 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:27   #48
BHPian

I would like to grow old with the following beasts...

One, which I am still dreaming about - Ford Mustang
The other one, which I own and love each and everyday - Tata Safari Storme.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Which car do you want to grow old with?-2015fordmustanggtfront.jpg  

Which car do you want to grow old with?-dsc_0631.jpg  

iabhishekkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

A refreshing thread, but I can quickly see it becoming yet another wish-list thread for us BHPians.

Would have loved to mention our '91 Omni that saw me from a baby till I perfected driving in it as preteen, but alas it's with a relative now and doesn't look like I will be getting her back any time. :(

Coming to the topic, I would have loved to mention any personal coupes, Toyota 86 or proper family sedans, of the Cressidas, Falcons, Caprices or even E classes kinds. But those were for another age and road infrastructures that we can't dream of in India.

A car to grow old with... Am assuming it is the only daily in the household. One that will serve us through our career/business growth, when we are married, through the different stages of children's growth, when they move out, when grandchildren come, till the sunset of our lives, where it will be passed onto the next generation.

Basically, an all rounder mode of transportation.

It is frighteningly over-priced in India and kinda fuel guzzler, but purely as a vehicle, without looking at the price in India, it would have to be the King.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-1440170117_toyotaland_cruiser2016201715.jpg

or its younger brother, Prado if we have to consider our traffic conditions.

On a more practical note, either of these two would do just fine.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-fotoheadlineallnewfortunerdanallnewinnova.jpg

psst... They do look cool in black. But for really long term usage as daily drivers I would take them in white.
Also, am a sedan guy. But for using the rest of my life, it has to be multi purpose,especially in India. sorry sedans.....

Last edited by DicKy : 3rd April 2018 at 17:31.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 17:44   #50
BHPian

Without a doubt, my family owned Mahindra in its stock form would be my choice if I had to make a choice.
  • We got it as new in Feb 2000 and is still running strong.
  • Though I did not learn driving in this very vehicle, this is what made me a driver at the end as it was the only available vehicle in my earlier days. I was also sort of enjoying status of being a jeep driver who could do a bit of off-roading while all my friends and cousins were 'Maruti 800' drivers. [But now I am desperately looking to own an old 800 ]
  • On the other side, this jeep has been a true real-world work horse from day one.
  • It was initially on a taxi plate and did quite lot of miles until about 2005.
  • It was then converted to a white plate for home/farm use.
  • My family runs a farm. Reaching our home from the main road takes about half a kilometer of off-road drive with a bit of climb. The jeep has been doing all up and down transport of people and produces for last 18 years and still going strong. I think that itself is a very good reason to keep it forever.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-1544440_686312894746255_1152013902_n.jpg
dileepcm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 19:18   #51
BHPian

I think it could be a Jeep. My first car was a plastic(toy) Jeep, so I think it's only fair that last one should be the same.
RacingForIndia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

I am fantasising here, I will admit
A Classic Mark 1 Mini for the odd 'milk' runs, bringing a smile to the world around me
Which car do you want to grow old with?-mini-mk1.jpg

An Audi RS3 Sportback with its 5 cylinder TFSI to bring a smile to myself, while the electric vehicles (possibly) out accelerate me at the lights!
Which car do you want to grow old with?-rs3-sportback.jpg
GeeTee TSI is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:31   #53
BHPian

Interesting thread! If I were to choose cars that I'd love to own when fossil fuel powered vehicles are no longer being considered OK, and might face extinction soon, I'd choose the best of the breed that were ever made. Cars that I would be able to drive once a year maybe, if that. I'd want them to be special. Cars that would make me feel special.

With that logic, my choices would be as follows:

1. Lexus LFA - best sounding car on the planet, ever made. Period.
2. Jaguar E Type - probably the most beautiful car ever made.
3. Ferrari 250 GTO - no description needed
sourav9385 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 23:09   #54
BHPian

An SS80 with an engine swap, I am sure the SS80 would be a collectible someday but pair that nice design with a poky 1.3 from an Esteem and you have a proper old school hot hatch with all the classic car charm and Japanese reliability.
Doge is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 00:30   #55
BHPian

The car that I would like in my garage from a long-term ownership perspective would have to be a BMW (F30) 340i M performance (2nd tier pack) with a 6-speed manual transmission. This car comes with B58 straight six and is the only car in the 3 Series line up that has a 6-pot motor. In terms of performance; 100 kmph comes up in 4.9 seconds which is fairly quick.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-2017bmw340im-performance.jpg

10 years ago, in response to the subject question I would have said an E90 M3 but now I’m on the wrong side of 40. Besides the 340i with 2nd tier performance pack makes 355 bhp, makes a better sound than the current M3 and is more liveable as a daily driver. And how can I forget the wailing sound of that 6 inline that is so intoxicating. Most importantly I can afford this car & hopefully will have it in the garage sometime in the near future.

The second vehicle that I would like to own is a Toyota 4 Runner TRD Pro. I have already put the deposit down for a 2019 TRD Pro and I’m told that I will get the delivery around September.

It comes with a one-inch lift from the factory in Japan along with 1/4 inch thick skid plate and has high performance 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks & heavy duty coil overs from Fox Racing. Yes, even in this day and age this vehicle is made available per allocation and Canada last year got an allocation of 100 vehicles in TRD Pro trim. The average wait time is 3 to 6 months.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-21473401425_222954558f_h.jpg

Back in India, it would have to be my 2016 Gypsy. I wait every year to make the trip back home and my wife suspects (and rightly so) that it is solely for driving the Gypsy though I deny that but both of us know that it is indeed one of the major reasons. Every time I take it out for a spin, it provides such a back to basics, earthly, mechanical feel that is so very satisfying. I’m so glad that I pulled the trigger on this one before the company decides to pull the plug which I’m told is going to happen any time now.

Which car do you want to grow old with?-gypsy.jpg
Vikram Arya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 15:49   #56
BANNED

I have a dream to buy a Diesel PHEV off-roader whose electric motor isn't a let down compared to its diesel motor in terms of power and range.

When I get that It will be the one I would be proud to grow old with.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 16:53   #57

Well I have my first generation Honda city. Nineteen years gone and the charm remains the same. Would love to keep it as long as the law permits and I hope it does because its going to finish its twenty years next year.
stairsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 17:54   #58
BHPian

A lovely thread!!!

I would like grow old with a buffet of cars:
The first on my list is current GT TSI. Rest all are just aspirational.

The list & the reasons:

A Continental spur- The classy one
A BMW M5 - The wicked one
A Hindustan Amabassador - The childhood dream
A BMW i series (3/8 or any new one that would come) - The electric one (would be necessary for the regulations)
A Mahindra Scorpio - the Go anywhere one
A Toyota Corolla- The reliable one
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 20:25   #59
BHPian

For me if it was just 1 car then a Mercedes G Wagen (not the crazy AMG ones). AMG ones would be a bit too over the top.

If there is a choice of 5 cars then it would become Interesting.
1. Maruti SCross the easy to maintain one
2. Porsche 911 Turbo ( the ultimate daily car)
3. An electric car ( currently probably a Tesla Model S but something else if any better one comes up)
4. A Nissan GTR R35 because Godzilla
5. A Mahindra Thar for go anywhere ability

I know there's not much by way of environment friendliness in this list but dreams are dreams!
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2018, 20:26   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess I can take the liberty to include bikes into this list.

I would like to have my lovely Safari Storme Varicor 400 for a car and a Yamaha R1 to leave the electric cars in dust. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Which car do you want to grow old with?-images-8.jpeg  

PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks