Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2018, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which car do you want to grow old with?

This is one question that has been really troubling me. Early forties, changes in the auto industry. Diesel/Petrol being fumed at? Welcome the hybrids and EVs( not what I really want)

Assuming that you will keep your ride for the next 7-10 years, looking for your preferences as we age, both ourselves and the cars.

Assuming that the oil burners are going to be the T Rexs of the future?

Let us look at who we want to go down into the sunset with?

I for sure would love to complement my C250d with the Jeep Compass Trailhawk and then Uber and Ola might just catch up in their driverless versions.

I guess this is running on the minds of every Petrol head? We just have about a decade before we are probably all passengers ?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 31st March 2018 at 21:46.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 21:48   #2
BHPian

re: Which car do you want to grow old with?

While most of the BHPians have experienced the raw feel of the Internal combustion engines, we young BHPians have a thin chance of experiencing as closely as other like-mined folks have done. No matter how fast an electric motor does a 0-100 sprint, it still can't match up to the feel and connect like the internal combustion engines.

The bitter truth is that the Internal combustion engines are a dying breed and would be extinct well before I buy a car of my own. But given an option, I'd buy a BMW M5 (E60) and keep her till eternity. She's my dream. A perfect car for the weekdays and family outings and also those racetrack days where you just wanna push. That naturally aspirated V10 has a charm of its own and infact the F10 M5 doesn't thug straight at my heart strings as the E60 M5 does.

So, lets see how my future is, I'd like to see if it is an electric motor or an IC motor which takes place in my garage.

Till the,
Ciao
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 21:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
While most of the BHPians have experienced the raw feel of the Internal combustion engines, we young BHPians have a thin chance of experiencing as closely as other like-mined folks have done.
For us teenage Automobile Enthusiasts, the future isn’t very welcoming. Considering the fact that the future is going to be dominated by electric cars, we probably do not even stand a chance to experience the pleasure of driving an internal combustion engine.

Hopefully, if IC engines continue in the future, I would want to grow old with a BMW 5 series (M5 or 530D) or a Ford Mustang. The 5 for it’s fun + practicality and the Mustang for it’s raw muscle. Also, if finance permits, a Range Rover Sport to compliment the cars mentioned above.

Seems like i’m asking for too much

Anways, let’s hope for the best, i.e for IC engines to continue.

Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 31st March 2018 at 22:08.
Prathiiik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ever since I was 15 years old, I have always wanted to own a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, I wished someday it would launch here, then as I grew old, went to UK to study for a couple of years, drove an Impreza there, I made up my mind that I will settle down in a country which sells a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Yes, might sound totally atrocious to make such an important decision of settling down in a country based on a car but hey, my heart rules my mind always, one life, why should I not do something I have dreamt of doing since around 2 decades now, I am 32 now btw.

So yes, I want to grow old with a Subaru Impreza WRX STI and take my Swift diesel where ever I settle down too because its family.
humyum is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 22:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Unlike certain other Bhpians, I belong to a conservative mindset!

I do agree that we are witnessing the dawn of a new era where the existence of IC engines and even the driver has been threatened. Having said that, I think the latter would still take a decade or two at least if not more in India.

Given the chance, I would love to grow old with a Jetta 2.0 TDI or a Polo GT TDI. Remap them, slap on a subtle body kit and keep them for eternity!

I have grown up amongst turbo diesels only and thus am addicted to the sudden whooosh accompanied by a gravelly clatter note as well. I would have picked up the Laura 1.8 TSI Manual otherwise.

I won't pick up a luxury car or the big three here. I believe their maximum life expectancy with the complex electronic is around 10-12 years. Beyond that, it takes $$$ and guts to keep them tight. The cars I have mentioned won't be niggle free either (all machines have their own set of issues), but they would be relatively cheap to maintain in the long term.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 31st March 2018 at 22:39.
vishy76 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 22:25   #6
BHPian

If money was no problem, would keep the 458 Italia in my living room. Forever.

Realistically, I’d like to keep my Honda City iVtec for life. Great naturally aspirated engine which sounds great, revvs great and more importantly goes great.

Btw interesting topic but it seems like it’s turning into ‘your favourite car’ thread.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 31st March 2018 at 22:27.
The Brutailer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 22:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Interesting Thread;
Currently growing up with these two, I for one treat my cars like family.

Even though, I have moved away since 2016, and these two are hardly of any practical use, and just lie idle in my absence,
I can't think of letting them go anytime soon.

Have a few other vehicles in the family that are being used, and may be replaced sooner or later,
but these two are here to stay.

PS: The picture was clicked today

Which car do you want to grow old with?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1522515289.854876.jpg

Last edited by akshay4587 : 31st March 2018 at 22:48.
akshay4587 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 23:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have just quit my current job to retire early and have gifted myself an Innova Crysta 2.8 Auto as my 'keep it till it falls apart' car. Plan is to do a lot of long distance sojourns especially for nature photography which is what I intend to do for the rest of my days. I believe it will be a good choice for its intended purpose especially with the perceived Toyota strengths of reliability and durability.

Last edited by SPARKled : 31st March 2018 at 23:22.
SPARKled is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 23:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Party Pooper Alert!

My ideal old age car would be strong in two parameters - Comfort & Driving Technology.
  • Since I will probably have backaches and arthritis, I would need a car with comfortable orthopedic seats, excellent low speed ride quality, great visibility and easy ingress/egress
  • Thanks to slowing reflexes, I would probably need radar braking, lots of cameras, lane departure warning and so on too!
SmartCat is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 23:39   #10
BHPian

Porsche 918, Rolls Royce Wraith and BMW X5.
Got one, missing two.
Very soon though. Very soon.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 01:27   #11
BHPian

The car I would love to grow old with will be the Honda CR-V.
Maybe within the next decade, Honda will launch the EV version of the CR-V and that is the vehicle I would love to retire with.

Honda CR-V is the most practical vehicle for me due to my low running and the running costs do not bother me too much because the vehicle gives me peace of mind ownership that cannot be overlooked especially once I am older.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 07:53   #12
BHPian

It's my Civic without doubt. This car is now family. She is in its 11th year and the Powertrain feels still strong. Somehow she has not aged at all. Going for a small makeover and will be good for another 10 years. I'd love to see the car parked at my garage even at 70 which is a long long way to go. Couldn't thing of any other vehicle for me.
varunanb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 07:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have never been a SUV guy, but Fortuner surely has my interest after reading multiple reviews, what an impressive machine to live with !!! Would surely love to have one for a long time.

If I could have any car, irrespective of its reliability, Polo GTI would be my pick.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 09:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

For me to grow old with a vehicle it have to be a reliable and comfortable. So that rules out any European vehicle regardless of whether they are luxury marques or not. They don't age well and that's putting it mildly.

It would have to be a Toyota Land Cruiser. This is one car I'll keep literally till the day I stop driving or the Govt. disallows ICE powered cars on the roads whichever comes first. So strong is my belief in the LC I will be willing to give up any other ICE powered car just to keep this one.

And yeah, if a smaller vehicle my choice would be the Corolla Altis. Tried and tested over 12 years and 2 cars. The hybrid Camry is not something I am too keen on but yes that would do as well. Yessir, Toyota has made me a customer for life. If it is reliability I want I don't consider any other manufacturer.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st April 2018 at 09:12.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 09:34   #15

Isuzu D-Max V-cross

It is not an obvious choice, it doesn't portray beauty, grace but might and will to reach out places with ease.

Definitely post retirement i would want to venture out unknown territories, long drives without worries of office, work, family. My hobbies of fishing, trekking, photography would be at another level. It would require big boot, powerful engine and 4x4 to tame down the climbs, deserts, beaches.The Isuzu isn't easy to drive, will be more difficult as I will be older, but it will motivate me to be fit as well.

It does sound as distant dream as cars are becoming gadgets, driving them is more of operating.
IRideScent is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks