Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nitin Gadkari: Automakers will soon deliver cars fitted with number plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
The only reason for a price range of ₹800-40k that I can think of is that this would include the price of VIP / fancy numbers. If so, this would be a welcome move indeed, insofar as curtailing corruption in the allocation of such numbers is concerned.
VIP numbers are allotted through online auction procedure. It is an open auction, and bids go well into 6 figures for single digit and 'special' numbers. This scheme has actually turned into a massive and official revenue generator for the RTOs.

If he is implying UPTO Rs 40000/-, it has to mean the number plate, and not the number itself.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 22:20   #17
BHPian

What about those BOSS (8055) owners ? Will they relent ? These guys need to be put to task first and also the guys who designed it for them.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 23:16   #18
BHPian

Success of any policy is in effective enforcement than just rolling out a policy. I am yet to see any seriousness in Indian authorities namely police to bring in some discipline in this regard. I see all kind of number plates, many illegible, fancy fonts and scripts in pune all day. Many hardly have any number plates visible, commercial vehicles plates are usually covered by dust or hidden behind crash bar. Number plates discipline is last thing on a cop's list.

First, make people follow existing laws and then graduate to higher standards. I don't know how this initiative is going to curb number plate menace.

forget number plates, hinjewadi roads in pune have huge number of 6 seaters which have no headlights or taillights, or any lights for that matter. These super black stealth commuters are big hazards on civilian roads.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd April 2018 at 07:25. Reason: Formatted post
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 06:38   #19
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

If the intent is to standardise the number plates, wouldn't it be easier to have the local RTOs issue them when a vehicle is registered ?
Maybe have the manufacturer install the blank plates with the vehicle (standard and size to be as per government specifications) and then the RTO can have it embossed and issued to the vehicle owner. This way there should be no chance to tamper with or have non-standard plates on any vehicle. This will also be a way to implement the HSRP that today isn't consistently implemented across the country.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:46   #20
BHPian

IMO its a very good initiative which will streamline and simply the process. Here in Pune it take 5-10 days to get number from RTO which is extremely ridiculous.

However while Nitin Gadkari has done excellent work in increasing road lengths in India, he is known to make big promises which dont really pan out.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 15:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
IMO its a very good initiative which will streamline and simply the process. Here in Pune it take 5-10 days to get number from RTO which is extremely ridiculous.

However while Nitin Gadkari has done excellent work in increasing road lengths in India, he is known to make big promises which dont really pan out.
He had promised to do away with the RTO system itself. During 2014 election campaign, he had said he will abolish RTO s since they have become centers of corruption. His new amendments to the existing motor vehicle act try to do exactly that. He wanted to make sure that every new vehicle is registered at the dealer level (without visiting the RTO office) through online system and he wanted to take away the responsibilities of issuing DL and also fitness certificates by RTOs. The bill has been passed by LokSabha long back. It is the Rajya Sabha which is sitting on it since almost a year now. If he gets it cleared, it will almost certainly abolish the RTO system.
n_naik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 17:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

When I read the minister's words estimating the cost of number plates to be from ₹800-40,000, I thought he might as well fix an LCD display in place of the embossed plates . Though this was just a moment of jest, a google search took me to BBC, which carries a report on Dubai trying out digital plates on a pilot basis.

Quote:
In a trial starting next month, vehicles will be fitted with smart plates with digital screens, GPS and transmitters. (Emphasis mine.)

The new plates will be able to inform emergency services if a driver has an accident. According to... the head of the Vehicle Licensing Department at Dubai's Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), the plates will make life easier for drivers in Dubai.
Quote:
As well as contacting the police and ambulance services if the vehicle is involved in a collision, the technology allows real-time communication with other drivers about traffic conditions or any accidents ahead.

The number plates can also change to display an alert if the vehicle or digital plate is stolen.

Payment for fines, parking fees or renewing registration plates will be automatically deducted from users' accounts. Number plates can also be changed using the RTA's app or website.
Quote:
It is not clear how much the plates will cost, with Sultan Abdullah saying that the final cost of the project will only be known after the trial ends in November.

However, the technology allows the transport authorities to track drivers, raising potential issues surrounding privacy and information security.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 01:50   #23
BHPian

Quoting from my post on another thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4388850):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
The HSRP saga has a new twist. From 1 January 2019 onwards, all classes of motor vehicles will be required to come fitted with tamper-proof high-security registration plates.

As readers of this thread know, HSRPs were first made mandatory in some states more than a decade back, but they have largely failed to take off across the nation. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) last week published new draft rules that make it mandatory for automobile manufacturers to provide, and dealers to affix, the “security licence plate, including the third registration mark” for all new vehicles manufactured on or after January 1 of next year.

Vehicle manufacturers will themselves be able to produce the HSRP and obtain the Type Approval Certificate from the Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi (or any one of the six testing agencies authorised by the Central Government). Alternatively, they could also procure them from an HSRP manufacturer.

The move to rope in automobile manufacturers and the dealers aims to end the monopoly of a few HSRP manufacturers and ensure uniformity in the quality of the HSRPs.

I don't know if the current standards for HSRPs are uniform across the states that make them mandatory, but the new national standards are to include the following:
  • 15-year guarantee
  • self-destructive sticker with engine and chassis number
  • chromium-based hologram applied by hot stamping on the top left corner of both front and back number plates
  • permanent identification number (minimum 10 digits) laser-branded into the reflective sheeting on the bottom left of the number plates
  • permanent number to be preceded by two alphabets indicating name of vendor, manufacturer or supplier for whom the Type Approval Certificate was issued by the testing agency
  • number plate fitted in the rear of the vehicle to be fastened with a non-removable/non-reusable snap lock system (for enhanced security, two snap locks will be used in the HSRP affixed in the rear)
  • third tag in the form of a self-destructive, chromium-based hologram sticker affixed on the inner side of the vehicle’s windshield

Let's see how this latest chapter in the Indian HSRP drama unfolds...
Hawkeye269 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 00:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
This system also gives you full liberty to have a custom registration here. For example, my registration plate could read "Joxster", and when I do buy a car worth having a custom registration plate on, I most certainly will
I had to quote myself here, because I lived up to what I said

Take a look: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4633966 (Black Magic - My Škoda Octavia RS 245)

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed