Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 18:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
[*]Magic Seats will likely be overlooked. WRV doesn't have them.
No magic seat? that is sad.

I was expecting Top variant+CVT+Magic seat variant this time.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:50   #32
BHPian

Rumour: Honda will not bring the next-gen Jazz to India

Magic Seats are the most important feature and a stand out feature of Jazz. I have seen many prospective buyers switching to rivals (CVT Variant), stating, why should we pay premium without any uniqueness. Sunroof can be ignored, but not the Magic Seats. In fact, Magic seats should be offered from V Variant itself.

19th July, seems to be sooner as previous reports pointed towards end of the month.
Old 10th July 2018, 06:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Honda has never pushed the Jazz like the way it should. They should price it at par with the i20 elite and also the Baleno and then push the car thru aggressive Marketing. If the Baleno and the i20 can do nearly 25-30k a month, the jazz should at least be there at a respectable 4-6k, which is not the case. Features and price are the key.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 08:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

re: The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz

Been a super happy owner of the 1st gen Jazz for over 8 years, I feel sad that this car did not get the success it deserves in the Indian market and Honda India is responsible for that.

1st gen Jazz though was overpriced had impeccable quality and reliability and also the IVtec engine was superior to the competitors. But, Honda failed to market the cars virtues and also under-equipped it compared to the price.

For the 2nd gen, they priced the Jazz more competitively (though the quality seems to take a hit) but again did not equip it properly particularly given that the competitor cars were much improved.To be frank, the 2nd Gen Jazz did not offer anything major over the 1st gen Jazz and the build quality or the interior quality probably went a step back. Still, the Jazz has significant advantages over the Baleno or the I20. Check the safety ratings of Jazz and Baleno in Euro NCAP (Jazz is the safest car in the class while Baleno hardly managed 3* with all the new gen PLatform crap) or the space offered in Jazz vs I20 but Honda never pushed and marketed it aggressively. I think Honda India wants to focus on thrid-world specific cars for India market like the Amaze where its margins are high. I had plans to purchase the HRV when I upgrade in 2020 but looks like Honda India has scrapped that plan as well due to the economics not working out. I don't understand why Honda India can't offer the world class products with a good featurerice ratio when others can do it. It doesn't have to be the cheapest or the best value for money like Maruti but needs to be competitive enough so that the potential buyers can have the chance to pay a little bit extra over a similar specc-ed Maruti. If Honda wants to charge a premium, at least offer all the premium features the buyer would expect after paying the premium!
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 13:47   #35

Some details on the Jazz facelift received from Honda dealer
Petrol Variants - V & VX, both available in MT and CVT.
Diesel Variants - S, V & VX. No CVT available.
Magic seats are not available anymore.

Adding more details as received:
The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz-1.jpg

The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz-2.jpg

The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz-3.jpg

The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz-4.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2018 at 15:52. Reason: Adding watermarks
neeln8 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 14:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeln8 View Post

Adding more details as received:
Attachment 1780596
Attachment 1780597
Attachment 1780598
Attachment 1780599
Inexplicable in Jazz
* Cruise Control only in CVT variants
* Start Stop only in CVT variants
* CVT only in petrol V|VX variants
* Auto folding side view mirrors
* Auto dimming IRVM
* Basic MID (nothing much to configure)

Inexplicable in New Amaze
* Cruise Control only in MT VX variant
* CVT in both diesel and petrol V variant only
* Android Auto|Apple Carplay only in VX MT

If this is going to be final list, then yet again Jazz will fail to grab customers away from i20 and Baleno.

Last edited by varunswnt : 10th July 2018 at 14:36.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 14:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Have they removed rear passenger headrests too from VX? Difference between V & VX appears primarily to be the digipad and its integration. Magic seat removal from VX is shocking. It was always a USP for Jazz. So people who want Magic seat better hurry now to grab last pieces of current VX model.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 15:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Honda just Amazed me!

The bosses seem to be taking Team-BHP really seriously!

If this is indeed true (given that they've kept the Jazz like a plan-B all these years), I think Honda has just dug a gold mine for themselves!
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 15:24   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Have they removed rear passenger headrests too from VX? Difference between V & VX appears primarily to be the digipad and its integration. Magic seat removal from VX is shocking. It was always a USP for Jazz. So people who want Magic seat better hurry now to grab last pieces of current VX model.

Honda would be advertising the 'signature rear led extended taillight' as one of the key features of VX variant, LoL. This is how it looks like The next-generation 2020 Honda Jazz-imageuploadedbyteambhp1531216232.743498.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality image.
The rear spoiler is also missing in VX variant now.
neeln8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 15:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the scoop - looks like necessary amends have been made to freshen up the Jazz in order to try and compete with contemporary competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Inexplicable in Jazz
* Cruise Control only in CVT variants
* Start Stop only in CVT variants
* CVT only in petrol V|VX variants
* Auto folding side view mirrors
* Auto dimming IRVM
* Basic MID (nothing much to configure)

Inexplicable in New Amaze
* Cruise Control only in MT VX variant
* CVT in both diesel and petrol V variant only
* Android Auto|Apple Carplay only in VX MT

If this is going to be final list, then yet again Jazz will fail to grab customers away from i20 and Baleno.
Cruise control IMO is correctly more suited for AT variants, so I would not hold Honda too much on that.
But yes, considering that Honda already has the tech, the Diesel CVT should have been offered in the facelift Jazz.
Regarding magic seats & auto dimming IRVM - those are again cheap moves. Jazz loses it's (only?) USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
IF they remove the rear passenger adjustable headrests then it is further digression from the safety standards that Honda has been setting for themselves in the current years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Honda just Amazed me!

The bosses seem to be taking Team-BHP really seriously!

If this is indeed true (given that they've kept the Jazz like a plan-B all these years), I think Honda has just dug a gold mine for themselves!
Yep - TBHP voice seems to ring loud n clear with the Honda India bosses !!

Quote:
Honda would be advertising the 'signature rear led extended taillight' as one of the key features of VX variant, LoL.
Sorry for the poor quality image.
The rear spoiler is also missing in VX variant now.
That rear led extension was available as aftermarket fitment for the current model, alongwith LED fitment in place of the black bumper inserts.
I have seen quite a few current gen Jazz with the above mentioned aftermarket fitments.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 17:07   #41
BHPian

Not so good sales figures for Jazz might have caused honda to rethink the decision of bringing next Jazz here; but, personally I could never understand why Honda couldnt provide 1.5 L petrol+ AT in the Jazz at around 10-11 Lakh OTR price which it does in the city. Most of the City buyers are looking for the 'Baddi Gadi' so i dont think Jazz with same drivetrain would have compromised City's sales. But, in fact it could have certainly attracted a customer base (myself included) who are looking for a premium hatchback which is more reliable and spacious that the popular GT TSI. By denying this option, honda is simply losing sales to the competetion in my opinion. Whats the point of buying a premium hatchback which is so slow with 1.2 AT configuration?
And in fact Honda can provide the Jazz with Diesel CVT and can set sales chart on fire. There certain is a customer base for global cars like Civic, Jazz, CRV who can never settle for products like amaze, city, brv, etc. Honda is simply losing this customer base.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 10th July 2018 at 17:11.
Old 10th July 2018, 17:09   #42
BHPian

Seems to be a good facelift. The Jazz was starting to feel poorly equipped next to the i20 and Baleno. Also, great to see a top end CVT variant!

The current Jazz is available in E, S, SV, V, VX grades. The new one will come only two grades instead of five, with even the base S diesel being pretty well equipped. This means that the entry point to thr Jazz will be much higher than its competitors. Probably done to regain the ‘premium’ positioning?

My grouses are -
1. No magic seats. Throwing away a USP, not cool, Honda.
2. Petrol MT doesn’t get some features of the CVT.
3. No 16 inch wheels on the VX (like the i20).
4. I wish they would bring some of the exciting colours offered internationally, like the blue and orange.

Awaiting more pictures!

Last edited by Aaron:) : 10th July 2018 at 17:14.
Old 10th July 2018, 20:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

If Honda bosses are listening, this is what will sell in India.

1. Jazz Diesel CVT
2. Jazz Petrol 1.5 CVT
3. WRV diesel CVT
4. WRV Petrol 1.5 CVT

most of honda's potential customers for these type of vehicles are first-time, aspirational, car owners esp female who are new drivers and would love the convenience of a CVT with all their varients V, VX, S etc. This crowd would hitherto select a maruti AMT because similar alternatives from Honda were absent. Such positioning from Honda conveys seriousness in India, else no one is fooling anyone here.

Last edited by lurker : 10th July 2018 at 20:58.
Old 10th July 2018, 21:14   #44
BHPian

We love magic seats but most numbers of Jazz sold are for non-magic seat variants and I think Honda has went the non-enthusiast route there. I had a tough decision last year to choose between VX and V and ultimately gave up magic seats for better infotainment system and better rear middle seat.

Market has clearly spoken what they want - touchscreens, keyless entry, start/stop button etc. In my view, all these are superfluous over better safety and engine, rear headrests, magic seats etc. but people like us are diminishing and Honda is catering to their wishes and I don't blame Honda for that.

Good news is they finally added basic features like speed sensing door lock, front armrest etc. so kudos on that front. I really wish I had waited for a year and got this facelift, this has everything I mostly wanted in my Jazz but I really needed a car at that time and had to settle for the current version.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 10th July 2018 at 21:26. Reason: Typos and added more thoughts.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 23:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
But, in fact it could have certainly attracted a customer base (myself included) who are looking for a premium hatchback which is more reliable and spacious that the popular GT TSI.

And in fact Honda can provide the Jazz with Diesel CVT and can set sales chart on fire. There certain is a customer base for global cars like Civic, Jazz, CRV who can never settle for products like amaze, city, brv, etc. Honda is simply losing this customer base.
With the 1.5 iVtec, a big task for Honda would be to keep the price from breaching into the mini-SUV territory.

You are bang-on about cars built for India versus the global line-up. I was at a dealership on Sunday for a service appointment, and while checking out the new Amaze, felt the current Jazz to be notches above in fit, finish and build .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
If Honda bosses are listening, this is what will sell in India.

1. Jazz Diesel CVT
2. Jazz Petrol 1.5 CVT
3. WRV diesel CVT
4. WRV Petrol 1.5 CVT

most of honda's potential customers for these type of vehicles are first-time, aspirational, car owners esp female who are new drivers and would love the convenience of a CVT with all their varients V, VX, S etc. This crowd would hitherto select a maruti AMT because similar alternatives from Honda were absent. Such positioning from Honda conveys seriousness in India, else no one is fooling anyone here.
The trims in your list will easily run into the 11-14 lakhs range. I'm not sure if first-time buyers will look beyond the likes of i10 AT or Ignis AMT at 3-5 lakhs lower.

However, I completely agree that a Jazz or WR-V with the blitzkrieg of a 1.5 mated to a CVT will signal the arrival of a bold new Honda in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
My grouses are -
1. No magic seats. Throwing away a USP, not cool, Honda.
2. Petrol MT doesn’t get some features of the CVT.
3. No 16 inch wheels on the VX (like the i20).
4. I wish they would bring some of the exciting colours offered internationally, like the blue and orange.
Omitting magic seats is much worse than what Ford did with the parcel tray!

BTW, the colours in the international version Fit do look stunning. The blue, in particular, looks fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Good news is they finally added basic features like speed sensing door lock, front armrest etc. so kudos on that front. I really wish I had waited for a year and got this facelift, this has everything I mostly wanted in my Jazz but I really needed a car at that time and had to settle for the current version.
I really think Honda has finally done what it takes to give competition a run for their money.

BTW, there's this thing with car updates that's somewhat like money markets - you can never be sure if there's something better coming or if only the prices will go northwards.

Therefore, enjoy your drive, and who knows, Honda might throw a sweet loyalty exchange bonus by end of the year, which is, BTW, what I'm hoping NEXA will do when they do bring in the S-Cross K15B with an AT gearbox
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed