Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2018, 13:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Isn't Volvo XC60 a better offering? If you do a straight comparison, XC60 gets many extra ticks, including a better spec engine. Expedition does not even get LED headlamps!
BMW is bit overstated in India in my opinion.
Potentially it is - at least from a comfort and features point of view, but it also has a less snooty brand image, fewer service centres, unknown service quality, potentially dismal resale value, etc.
Lastly it is priced at a premium to the Expedition X3, and knowing BMW they will start offering huge discounts by year end when they need to liquidate their stocks.
Old 21st April 2018, 13:46   #17
BHPian

Just went through the specification and boy it was a disappointment. The 5 series luxury line make so much sense when compared to the same price and the features it offers. I know I can't compare the SUV with the sedan.
The expedition model is a joke. No paddle shifts, no dynamic damper, no rear view camera, 6.5" idrive, no navigation. Might as well an XLine X1.
I feel there is still room for improvement in the luxury line especially with this segment being highly competitive and Volvo is slowly creeping up behind BMW with so many features in its models.
Old 22nd April 2018, 07:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Isn't Volvo XC60 a better offering?

The only reason, why one should pick up the BMW is if you are a person who enjoys spirited driving like me. Otherwise, it makes sense to shop around. My X3 was almost like 67 lakhs on the road and it doesn't even have a reverse camera despite the fact that there is already a screen on the dash for the idrive. I mean how much more will it cost to just add a camera and wiring to the screen? BMW really short changes on features. However my car comes with Sport+ mode and independent adaptive dampers etc and it is a total hoot to drive.

Unless you are a driving enthusiast BMW doesn't make any sense in terms of value proposition for what you get for the amount you pay.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:31   #19
BHPian

The concept of a 'base' model differs segment-wise and Im afraid BMW got it wrong here.While I can understand the differentiation between a base model and a higher variant by, say, a standard sunroof and panoramic sunroof or 19 inch wheels vs 20 inch wheels, no Paddle shifts is a joke. Cars from a segment down have this (Paddle shifts).

All the more intriguing since a BMW is an enthusiast's choice..i meant what fun is that stonking transmission without paddle shifts on a spirited run? It takes away so much more from the experience than the actual cost BMW would have saved with the omission.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 13:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there no panaromic sunroof on offer?
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is there no panaromic sunroof on offer?
Yes there is. And it is standard.
prashant316 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 15:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
The concept of a 'base' model differs segment-wise and Im afraid BMW got it wrong here.While I can understand the differentiation between a base model and a higher variant by, say, a standard sunroof and panoramic sunroof or 19 inch wheels vs 20 inch wheels, no Paddle shifts is a joke. Cars from a segment down have this (Paddle shifts).
Honestly, the way I've seen it, there are two types of people who buy BMWs:

Those who enjoy driving and will settle for nothing less - and some of these don't mind the base trim as long as the engine and suspension are the same across variants - a friend picked up the E90 320d Corp Edition, and for the way he uses the car he is happy saving the money as compared to the highline. He is of course and outlier. Majority of these enthusiasts want features.

The other category consist of bargain hunters, who shop around for the best deal possible and pick it up. For them a lower spec car is fine if the discount is brilliant + they get the badge value. A lot of BMW's I've seen in Mumbai fall in this category - especially when BMW starts offering discounts to the tune of 10L on their old stock. A lot of X3's I see on the road are the base trims. There are a few exceptions to this rule of course - F10 520D Luxury Line being one, and the 320D Sportline being the other but that's also due to the discounts on offer.
In fact, with the outgoing X3 - the base trim were amongst the first to be cleared, and most dealers were left with the M-Sport / edition Sport / Sportline (or whatever BMW decided to call it on the X3) trim which just didn't have as good discounts.

Last edited by lamborghini : 23rd April 2018 at 15:29.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:48   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I have experience with the same 2.0 petrol engine in my G30 530i and I have been on multiple long highway runs. I fill only regular petrol and it works very well. Unlike the VW/Audi petrol engines that seem to demand high octane petrol, the BMW petrol engine seems quite comfortable with the regular petrol available in India.
The majority of buyers want diesel, which is why they didn't have a test drive vehicle with petrol for you. Good to know that it works well with regular petrol, given the global demand for the engine, maybe BMW thinks its better to offer the 20d version. The rest of the world is buying the 30i in droves and here they might have to discount the same, no company will risk being in that situation.
Old 24th April 2018, 14:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, the way I've seen it, there are two types of people who buy BMWs:

Those who enjoy driving and will settle for nothing less - and some of these don't mind the base trim as long as the engine and suspension are the same across variants -

The other category consist of bargain hunters, who shop around for the best deal possible and pick it up. .

BMWs are known for their driving pleasure and gadgetry, unfortunately in India many customers have to make difficult choices as BMW (& other luxury car makers) choose to keep nice gadgets only in Luxury trims and price them at absolute premium to milk the segment which wants the best of both worlds.

The fact is customers are faced with rather difficult choices especially when you move to the other side of 50L.

X3 Luxury trim is coming out to be 71.11 and expedition almost 62.7L in Bangalore.
After paying 60+ lakhs, you don't get apple car play

The least Ze Germans could do is to offer certain features as options and let people decide. But in that case discounts will go out of window, as discounts are mostly available on cars which are in stock, not on tailor made cars.

Life sucks if you are in market for a car with 50-60L budget.

p.s. sorry for the rant.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 21:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently visited the BMW showroom for the first annual service of my G30 530i (Ownership thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-530i-g30.html

While waiting to be attended to, I took a good look at the new X3. Below are my observations and also some of the photos I managed to click.

The showroom only had the expedition (base) trim on display. The shape and proportions of the X3 is just perfect. It seems a bit less upright and more flowing than the previous generation car. The previous X3 was clean and almost clinical, while this one has some flair. The paint is top notch and the doors have a nice heft to them. The doors open really wide and seating position is fantastic. The seats certainly have more support and plushness than the X1's seats (which I found to be quite flat and basic).

The cabin was instantly recognizable to me. Naturally, as it is based on the same CLAR platform as my G30 5 series. The idrive screen was a bit of a disappointment in this base trim, it is quite small and only as big a the one on the 3 series - too tine for a large cabin such as the one the X3 has. The materials felt nice, with soft touch surfaces. However, the appearance of the plastic was not up to the mark and felt better suited to the cheaper Tiguan/Kodiaq segment.

The fit and finish and plushness definitely felt quite a bit below that of the 5 series, as is to be expected in a Sport Activity Vehicle, especially the base trim. Perhaps the higher trims will fare better.

The digital instrument cluster looked somewhat small. The steering felt great, it has good grip and is nice and compact to hold. The room in the rear seat is somewhat limited, just about enough for one six-footer to sit behind another. I felt the rear seat space was not much higher then in the X1 (The space penalties one has to pay for the rear wheel based drive train, more than made up for by the sweetness of the drive)

The boot space is quite impressive and the car had a touch button operated automated hood close. The best feature were the alloys, the look really large and deadly!

A few photos attached. I did not have time for a test drive, probably the next time I am around I will do so. All in all, I got the general vibes of a great car (which I did not feel with the X1). I would much recommend anyone considering X1 M-sport to stretch a bot and go to the X3 it looks way more classy inside and has a better profile overall on the outside, not to mention the RWD based architecture and standard all wheel drive!
Attached Thumbnails
3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085344.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085550.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085556.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085608.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085631.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085635.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085641.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085747.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_085757.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_092726.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_092741.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_092801.jpg  

3rd-gen BMW X3 launched at Rs. 49.99 lakh-img_20180810_092806.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 12th August 2018 at 23:20.
84.monsoon is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 08:07   #26
BHPian

Great looking car but expensive. Does any one know the range of year-end discounts on X3? It is ~76 lacs in road in Bangalore without discounts.

Mod Note: BHPian worldcrawler's BMW X3 (G01) xDrive 20d Luxury Line Ownership Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2021 at 09:40. Reason: Link to ownership review added
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks