Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 15:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: India-made VW Polo VRS with 140 hp launched in Indonesia

Some of the changes in the VRS over the regular Polo include Elecronic Drag Torque Control and Electronic Differential Lock along with 16 inch wheels (which now come on the top end variant).
Old 21st April 2018, 10:14   #17
BHPian

i thought the vRS line was Skoda's brand? Interesting to see VW adopting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Also when are they launching the new polo?
From all the reviews I have seen of the new Polo on YouTube, I feel the new Polo (MK6) is substantially different from the old one (MK5 - the one being sold here).

The new car is significantly bigger (one reviewer commented that it is now about the size of an older Golf), and can seat rear passengers comfortably.

Also, It has many hi-tech pieces of equipment (for a small car) like the virtual cockpit instrument cluster, lane change warning, radar guided cruise control etc. One review was centered around the question "With this Polo, is there a need for the Golf?" and the conclusion at the end was "Probably not"

How much of these will make it's way over to India when it is eventually launched here remains to be seen. But I feel it will push the price up quite a bit.

My best guess is that VW will continue making the existing Polo and other cars on the older PQ25 platform (Vento, Rapid etc) till 2020, albeit giving small updates along the way as they have been doing so far.

With the recent news that Skoda is taking the development lead for VW group in India, and they are adapting the MQB A0 platform (the one on which the new Polo is based) for India and calling it the MQB A0 IN Source

How different the Indian MQB A0 platform is to the European one, we'll have to wait and see and it may ultimately decide if we will get the European Polo as-is or another design made for India.

Of course, all of the above is simply my speculation
Old 21st April 2018, 10:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
There is no point in increasing power in the Polo in its current form. The Indian Polo has pathetic brakes and a suspension set up that is very fragile.
We want high quality, good brakes and suspensions but when it is given to us in the form of the GTI, there are very little takers. Putting brakes and suspensions similar to the GTI on the VRS would raise its price to a level where there would be no takers.

The 1.6 GT TDI with the brakes and suspension of the GT TSI has even more torque than the Polo VRS and there are people who are happy with its handling and braking for more than 1,00,000 kms.

One requirement of a good driver is to perceive the car's limitations and drive within that. Obviously those with the 1.6 GT TDI and other Polos are doing just that as they are very happy with the car and have crossed high mileages.

If one's driving cycle includes a lot of corners which one wants to take at enthusiast speeds the Polo GT TSI is a wrong choice of car - it wasn't built for that as it isn't a hard core enthusiast's car by any stretch of imagination.

Also, the rotors aren't expensive (in fact they are cheaper than that of most Maruti's), so if there is a judder a change or even facing takes care of the problem.

There is no doubt that the Polo VRS will be a runaway success if launched in India, limitations not withstanding, as it is right in the sweet spot of most enthusiasts.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st April 2018 at 10:25.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 11:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
We want high quality, good brakes and suspensions but when it is given to us in the form of the GTI, there are very little takers. Putting brakes and suspensions similar to the GTI on the VRS would raise its price to a level where there would be no takers.

The 1.6 GT TDI with the brakes and suspension of the GT TSI has even more torque than the Polo VRS and there are people who are happy with its handling and braking for more than 1,00,000 kms.

One requirement of a good driver is to perceive the car's limitations and drive within that. Obviously those with the 1.6 GT TDI and other Polos are doing just that as they are very happy with the car and have crossed high mileages.

If one's driving cycle includes a lot of corners which one wants to take at enthusiast speeds the Polo GT TSI is a wrong choice of car - it wasn't built for that as it isn't a hard core enthusiast's car by any stretch of imagination.

Also, the rotors aren't expensive (in fact they are cheaper than that of most Maruti's), so if there is a judder a change or even facing takes care of the problem.

There is no doubt that the Polo VRS will be a runaway success if launched in India, limitations not withstanding, as it is right in the sweet spot of most enthusiasts.
If you go through the Polo threads on Team BHP you will regularly find 2 very common complaints.
  1. Brade judder/ brake fade
  2. Struts leaking or going bust prematurely.
There is no doubt that VW has cheaped out on these two parts considering the fact that the Polo is their entry level car and they wanted to control costs in order to compete with the likes of Maruti and Hyundai. I am certainly not comparing the regulary Polo's brakes to the GTI's!

We have always had small hatches at home. Most of these cars stay with us for a minimum of 10 years before they are sold off. I've never had complaints in the braking or suspension dept of these cars (Maruti/ Hyundai) and I probably wouldn't have complaints even with the Polo if it were a regular 1.2 MPI or 1.2 TDI. The 1.2 TSI is a quick car for Indian hatchback standards and VW understandably has stuck to its standard brakes (cost reasons). The brakes by nature have poor stopping power from high speeds, whether they are new or close to wearing out. They are OK at regular city speeds. The 105 PS - 1.2 TSI in my view is the maximum power that the Polo with the current brake and suspension set up can handle.

Car makers have to be responsible enough to know how much power a car can handle. If the market can't afford a 100K increase for the improved brakes and suspension, please drop the product, but don't irresponsibly increase power because it does not cost you much (just a remap).

Quote:
One requirement of a good driver is to perceive the car's limitations and drive within that.
That is exactly what I am saying. The car has some serious limitations and If we are going to drive within that all the time what is the need for more power?

Even FIAT realised that the 140 PS Abrarth Punto needs rear discs! Thumbs up to them

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st April 2018 at 11:26.
Santoshbhat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 12:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've never had complaints in the braking or suspension dept of these cars (Maruti/ Hyundai)
The Swift has had a lot of problems with its brakes - it's all over the forum. Even so it has been a runaway success. Hyundai's Verna has had severe suspension problems in 3 of its iterations and it came with 125 BHP and 260 NM of torque - this is also all over the forum - and still has been a top seller. So It isn't right to say that Maruti and Hyundai have been trouble free in handling and braking departments. Also these cars have been selling well even after they have been known to have problems - its just the owners learnt to live within the parameters and still enjoy the car.

In comparison the VW Polo handles much better and brakes much better than these two cars. One wouldn't dare drive a Verna like a GT TSI and the Verna is a far more powerful and much faster car.

As I mentioned earlier, even the 1.6 GT TDi has more torque than the Polo VRS and is still giving owner's a lot of pleasure for more than 100,000 kms.

Yes, recurrent brake judder is a problem with the Polo's but it is easily addressed with changing the rotors and pads which are reasonably priced. When fixed with new rotors and pads, the Polo's have good stopping power. The strut problem is a usage issue.

So to answer your main point, increasing the power to 140 BHP is not to get onto max speed runs (which one can't do anyway even in cars like the Verna), but enjoy it's far better acceleration, better overtaking, better roll on and high speed cruising at lower rpms all of which increase driving pleasure and for which the current brakes should be adequate.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st April 2018 at 12:35.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 12:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even FIAT realised that the 140 PS Abrarth Punto needs rear discs! Thumbs up to them
Maruti has also put different suspension and rear discs for Baleno RS. But, no such difference in S-Cross 1.6 considering much higher torque .

Is there any authentic information that power bump from 105 to 140 is only by a simple remap from VW? I highly doubt it. It would be interesting to get more details on the hardware of 1.2 TSI 140 hp.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2018, 14:24   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
How different the Indian MQB A0 platform is to the European one, we'll have to wait and see and it may ultimately decide if we will get the European Polo as-is or another design made for India.
It will look like the International one but will be redesigned to a sub 4m compact car.
In structural it is speculated to replace the high strength steel in some areas as the need maybe in order to suit the upcoming Indian crash regulations.
Old 22nd April 2018, 19:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:

In comparison the VW Polo handles much better and brakes much better than these two cars. One wouldn't dare drive a Verna like a GT TSI and the Verna is a far more powerful and much faster car.

As I mentioned earlier, even the 1.6 GT TDi has more torque than the Polo VRS and is still giving owner's a lot of pleasure for more than 100,000 kms.

Yes, recurrent brake judder is a problem with the Polo's but it is easily addressed with changing the rotors and pads which are reasonably priced. When fixed with new rotors and pads, the Polo's have good stopping power. The strut problem is a usage issue.

So to answer your main point, increasing the power to 140 BHP is not to get onto max speed runs (which one can't do anyway even in cars like the Verna), but enjoy it's far better acceleration, better overtaking, better roll on and high speed cruising at lower rpms all of which increase driving pleasure and for which the current brakes should be adequate.
I think you are completely wrong, and pretty much don't own a TSI to give this falsified info which you should refrain from in the first place.

1. The Polo has terrible braking, pads last for a meagre 7-8k kms in non enthusiast driving before they start vibrating, on top of that the discs last for upto 20k kms at max, before they need to be turned or replaced.

2. The brakes cost 9250 rupees with labour which is not cheap by any margin. In one lakh kilometer of ownership thats close to 50K on the BRAKES ONLY.

3. The GT TDi has a different suspension and no the car doesn't handle really amazing, or has amazing brakes.

4.The strut problem is a usage issue? What kind of usage? Do you think all GT owners go bumping on breakers? The struts are terrible quality, so are the bushes which last 18-25k kms on moderate to low enthusiast usage.

5. The brakes are not good for the 105 PS let along 140PS, and you are assuming with new rotors it will be better, which it obviously will. That's basic science.

This is the problem, people who haven't driven the GT for a long term or owned it give falsified info which should be given in the first place.

Comparing it with the 1.6TDI which has different suspension and components is a really terrible comparison.

On top of that you are comparing it to a GTI, which btw when launched was 18 lakhs more expensive than the Polo GT on road. 22 Lakhs for better brakes and suspension? Really?

Please refrain from misinfo sir.

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 22nd April 2018 at 19:25.
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 20:01   #24
BHPian

India-made VW Polo VRS with 140 hp launched in Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post

Please refrain from misinfo sir.

This applies to you my friend. What special brakes do you have on your polo that you have to change every 9k kms with 'moderate enthusiastic' driving and that cost 9 grand to replace? Please educate.

Before you start accusing me of not owning a polo or not driving one for long enough, let me mention that I own a GT TSI.
Suraj25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 20:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
This applies to you my friend. What special brakes do you have on your polo that you have to change every 9k kms with 'moderate enthusiastic' driving and that cost 9 grand to replace? Please educate.

Before you start accusing me of not owning a polo or not driving one for long enough, let me mention that I own a GT TSI.
I was pretty sure someone wouldn't read my entire comment

1. I mentioned, brake pads go out between 7-8k Kms, and not the entire brakes which includes the rotors.

2. The brake pads and disc cost 9.2K, which need change every 20000 kms as per sedate usage in a mix of city and highway driving, costing a total of 50000~ in 100000 Kms

I would request you to not misquote me. And I did not accuse your friend here, if he is misinforming and comparing two cars which carry different components, it is a grey area for people reading the thread.
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:01   #26
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I mentioned, brake pads go out between 7-8k Kms, and not the entire brakes which includes the rotors.

2. The brake pads and disc cost 9.2K, which need change every 20000 kms as per sedate usage in a mix of city and highway driving, costing a total of 50000~ in 100000 Kms
Really? I'm at 44k running original pads and discs. No they aren't great. For the last 5k kms, anything over 130km/h and moderate braking they judder.

Polo's steering components, brakes, etc. aren't great quality, they are just average like Maruti or Honda (Things I've owned), but its not substandard as well, the the way its been made to sound here.

As far as I understand handling, its reasonably good, a good balance between ride and handling.
SLK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 00:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Really? I'm at 44k running original pads and discs. No they aren't great. For the last 5k kms, anything over 130km/h and moderate braking they judder.

Polo's steering components, brakes, etc. aren't great quality, they are just average like Maruti or Honda (Things I've owned), but its not substandard as well, the the way its been made to sound here.

As far as I understand handling, its reasonably good, a good balance between ride and handling.
Maybe its a QC case with my set, and I am only giving opinion based on my car and the service costs here.
Members can doubt me all day long, but for me average quality isn't VW's benchmark at 2.5 lakh above competitors.

Can also post here the Report I got by ASS post a checkup this service for how long the brakes have lasted.

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 23rd April 2018 at 00:32.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 02:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

This launch is a bit at odds. Why pursue an older generation model when the MK6 is already on sale in developed markets!

Quote:
Even FIAT realised that the 140 PS Abrarth Punto needs rear discs!
The front discs were also replaced. The larger ones found on the Linea T Jet is what they have fixed on the Abarth.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd April 2018 at 03:03.
Old 23rd April 2018, 07:56   #29
BHPian

India-made VW Polo VRS with 140 hp launched in Indonesia

Quote:
I was pretty sure someone wouldn't read my entire comment

I am not trying to pick a fight here, but honestly your brake parts are wearing out at an alarming rate! That is why I only spoke about the first two points and not the rest because I agree with your other points.
On average the pads and rotors should last a little more than double of what life you are getting.

Last edited by Suraj25 : 23rd April 2018 at 07:58.
Suraj25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 08:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, can we get back to discussing the Polo VRS and not the shortcomings of the Indian VW Polo, please. I believe the technical section should cover the good and bad about the Polo in our market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks