Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2018, 07:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs

In general, ABS should be accompanied with EBD. As car manufacturers have there own specs for each part, they can very well omit EBD unlike some motorcycle manufactures that use common specified parts like Bosch ABS, Brembo brakes etc which we can find in their websites.
However, From a car company's view, if they use EBD in their cars it is an added feature to advertise in their safety list. It won't be a right marketing strategy to keep it a secret
Even I could not see mentions about EBD in Verna's website but it is highlighted clearly in city's. So I think Hyundai is yet to add it in most of their cars.
cmani0000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 07:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmani0000 View Post
Even I could not see mentions about EBD in Verna's website but it is highlighted clearly in city's. So I think Hyundai is yet to add it in most of their cars.
For Verna, it was not mentioned under specification on their website at launch. However, the site (http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html) is now updated and mentions ABS with EBD.

I had raised the same earlier in following post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4275264

Updated site
Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-verna-ebd.png
Simhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 08:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
For Verna, it was not mentioned under specification on their website at launch. However, the site (http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html) is now updated and mentions ABS with EBD.
Thanks for that info. But I just downloaded brochure from their site, but still couldn't find it. That's why got confused.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-screenshot_20180425080550.jpg  

Old 25th April 2018, 08:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Went through all the posts. A couple of questions, if someone more knowledgeable could answer.

(1) Can anyone who has actually felt EBD work in their cars explain the added advantage of having it? I mean, does it instill more confidence by improving stability during braking? If yes, what kind of braking maneuvers? (panic / gradual)

(2) Can Hyundai or any other OEM for that matter save money by omitting EBD, while providing ABS? If yes, how?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th April 2018 at 11:23. Reason: As requested.
Old 25th April 2018, 11:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

(2) Can Hyundai (or any other manufacturer) or any other OEM for that matter save money by omitting EBD, while providing ABS? If yes, how?
I may be wrong but what I feel is, the companies may save money only when the EBD and ABS are two separate entities integrated together. But if the EBD is part of the ABS unit then there is no money saving for the companies. But what GTO said is also true: there's no way a company will not market the EBD is they have it when all other companies do.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 14:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
So does it mean the the previous year's i20 also doesn't have EBD? This is all very confusing. There have been mixed news. Some say ABS comes with EBD in Hyundai i20 while some say it's seperate from the ABS.

Thanks in advance!
Yes it seems so, at least for Elite i20. It does not have EBD till the 2018 facelift as the feature was not mentioned in the brochure/website for cars like Eon, i10, i20, Xcent & Verna. For models like Creta, Tucson & Santa Fe, EBD was explicitly mentioned.

So, as GTO said, a company which cares to advertise roof antenna, luggage lamp etc as features, cannot miss out to mention EBD in the feature list. This was definitely absent in these cars.
And thanks to Maruti to shake up the rivals. They compelled Hyundai to add EBD to B segment models also.
anu007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 15:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The first gen i20, from 2008 - 2012 came with ABS+EBD. It is also mentioned in the brochure. Let me check if i have the brochure. I will post a screen shot
Here are the pics of the first gen i20 brochure which had ABS+EBD

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-img_20180425_150534.jpg

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-img_20180425_150614.jpg

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-img_20180425_150625.jpg

I also noticed that Polo,Vento,Rapid also have just ABS mentioned. Wonder why.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
And thanks to Maruti to shake up the rivals. They compelled Hyundai to add EBD to B segment models also.
True that - Maruti offers ABS + EBD as part of their Nexa Offerings and calls it the Nexa Safety Shield. All cars sold through Nexa and every variants gets ABS+EBD, Dual Airbags and Child IsoFix Mounts as standard.

I doubt if the EBD was included since their sales staff was also not educated enough to call it out. When I asked about EBD on the i10 and i20 in December 2017, the Sales Guy clearly said those are advanced features and Hyundai includes them in cars such as the Verna and the segment above Verna...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 22:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Here are the pics of the first gen i20 brochure which had ABS+EBD
The first gen i20 was originally developed and manufactured with EU as primary market, and India was a test market. When Indian volumes picked up, production for EU was shifted to Turkey. That's why India got ABS+EBD (and also, rear disc brakes) in first gen.

Elite i20 was developed with separately tailored specifications for EU and Indian markets. (My birdies indicate that the EU and Indian versions are based on different platforms altogether with same outer skin and interior layout, but can't verify this fact.) So, we missed out on important specs.
AutoNoob is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 20:17   #25
BHPian

The previous generation Verna 4S has ABS with EBD as per their official brochure. So I guess the pre-facelift versions had it too.

Hyundai finally lists 'EBD' on i10, i20 & Xcent specs-img_20180427_201108.jpg

I wonder why they mention 'front disc brakes' as a safety feature

Last edited by PearlJam : 27th April 2018 at 20:31.
Old 16th May 2018, 20:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
While on this topic can you tell me the supplier for i20's diesel turbocharger? I have tried so hard to find it but it's hidden by the air intake plumbing. Thanks in advance!
I suggest directly going to a Hyundai Mobis outlet and directly ask the sales guy for Turbo Charger. They have proper inventory management system.

Or else go to a garage and try to see an experienced supervisor and ask your query. If they have opened a car, they would remember it.
rst89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed