Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2018, 20:17   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top

Export Vs Domestic - Here is the complete list of manufacturers and their cars that were exported in 2017-18.

Some manufactures like Ford, VW thrive on export volumes rather than domestic sales.

Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-16.jpg

Quote:
Ford has ramped up Sanand plant in Gujarat and has helped it report over 14 per cent YoY growth in PV export volumes. FCA India saw a jump in its export volumes since it is exclusively manufacturing its right-handed Jeep Compass in India for global sales and we expect the trend shall continue in FY19 too. Even though General Motors have left the country, the focus on exports seems to exist and grew a healthy 17.5% in FY18

Quote:
Exports of passenger vehicles from India declined for the first time in a decade, with automakers shifting small-car production out of India and leveraging capacities in the local market to ship out more profitable premium models. Due to this Ford was able to overtake Hyundai as the nations No.1 Exporter! Even Nissan lost over 38% v/s last year and ranked 6 in the list! The reason being the Next-gen Micra is now being manufactured in France & even Hyundai has shifted the manufacturing of the Euro-spec i20 to Turkey
Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-e1.jpg
Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-e2.jpg
Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-e3.jpg
Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-e4.jpg

source:Auto Punditz

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd April 2018 at 20:32.
volkman10 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 10:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top

Amazing list, Volkman10! Thanks for sharing. Moving to its own thread.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 10:41   #3
BHPian

Re: Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top

Chevrolet is exporting close to 7000 Beat cars in a month! and nothing else? Ford don't seem to earn much profits from selling ecosport in India it seems, thus heavily prioritizing export over domestic sales (VW and Nissan, I can understand, as both are just marginal players in domestic sales anyways)
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 11:06   #4
BHPian

Good to see GM doing something in India, at least the factory workers are getting their bread and butter.
Any specific reason for -1 numbers of E2O , did they import one unit from UK?

Last edited by itsmb : 25th April 2018 at 11:14.
itsmb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2018, 19:19   #5
NTO
BHPian

Interesting data and thank you very much for sharing with us. I performed one small analysis on this data. I just calculated the export to domestic ratio and this reveals a few interesting trends.

1. Cars like Beat (now not sold in India), Sunny, Vento, Figo and Micra has a high Export to domestic ratio. This shows these cars are performing well outside of India with a strong export numbers.

2. For Nissan, Renault, Datsun group, Kwid, Sunny, Micra and Redigo are the bread winners contributing to a total number of 200000 vehicles in all. Thank god, these will keep the manufacturing unit running.

3. Not sure why the brand FIAT has their shop open in India. They neither sell domestically nor export cars from here. They probably are still banking on the engines that they are selling to other manufacturers. Now with Tata unveiling their own 1.5 Diesel and Maruti soon to come up with their diesel engine, Fiat should probably go the Chevy way.

The only car selling in their portfolio is the Jeep Compass. FCA and my company shares the same building in Chennai and this trend of Fiat doing pathetically can be seen from their parking lot. Only two out of 10 cars are Fiat in their parking lot. Whilst, we also have Ford corporate office in our same campus and invariably all their employees drive a Ford. When Fiat cannot sell their own cars to their own employees, not sure who else will buy. I take my Punto and park it adjacent to their company parking to make things look better.

4. Coming to Ford, all the cars are exported more than they are sold domestically. Figo having the highest export to domestic sales ratio of 5.42 followed by Ecosport’s 1.82 and then Aspire’s 1.33.

5. Honda cars manufactured in India are mostly for Domestic consumption with their domestic sales being 30 times their exports.

6. Hyundai has good figures both in domestic and exports. However, their export to domestic ratio stands at 1:3.

7. Mahindra’s trend also shows that their cars are majorly produced in India for domestic consumption. Their export to domestic ratio varying between 1:12 and 1:50.

8. Maruti is a mixed bag. Some of their models have a export to domestic ratio of 1:2 and some have 1:100. This is evident as some models such as Ignis, Baleno, Swift are international models and few cars like omni, dzire, also are majorly India specific.

9. Tata also leans towards domestic consumption. Probably their cars emerging out of their flashy concepts revealed recently will push exports.

10. VAG again is a mixed bag. Vento is almost exported 10 times as that of its domestic sales while Polo is more produced for domestic consumption. I guess since the new polo is launched in many markets, VW is cutting down on production of the old polo for exports. I always knew Ameo was an India specific model but, today only got to know that Rapid is also India specific.

11. In Toyota, only Liva is exported almost as much as it is sold domestically while all the other models are produced more for domestic consumption.

Please PM me with your email ID if anyone needs the data in excel for any further analysis.. It took some time transferring the data in the image into an excel.

Thanks for reading!
NTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2018, 22:32   #6
BHPian

I wonder which countries want our nano, bolero and omni. So indianish of them
Old 27th April 2018, 13:22   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
1. Cars like Beat (now not sold in India), Sunny, Vento, Figo and Micra has a high Export to domestic ratio. This shows these cars are performing well outside of India with a strong export numbers.

2. For Nissan, Renault, Datsun group, Kwid, Sunny, Micra and Redigo are the bread winners contributing to a total number of 200000 vehicles in all. Thank god, these will keep the manufacturing unit running.

4. Coming to Ford, all the cars are exported more than they are sold domestically. Figo having the highest export to domestic sales ratio of 5.42 followed by Ecosport’s 1.82 and then Aspire’s 1.33.

10. VAG again is a mixed bag. Vento is almost exported 10 times as that of its domestic sales while Polo is more produced for domestic consumption. I guess since the new polo is launched in many markets, VW is cutting down on production of the old polo for exports.

11. In Toyota, only Liva is exported almost as much as it is sold domestically while all the other models are produced more for domestic consumption.

!
Frankly, you are:

EITHER

Manufacturing cars for the Indian market (Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota, Tata, Mahindra, Honda, Mercedes - This is a big but profitable gamble if you have understood the Indian market. Honda is on the borderline, Toyota might have forgotten the price consciousness of the Indian market

OR
You are manufacturing cars in India and selling a bit on the side
(VW, Ford, Nissan)

VW are dependent on the South African market and also the Russian market (for parts exports)
Ford are dependent on the European Old Age Pensioners for the Figo (Ecosport for Europe now comes from Romania)
Nissan - I really dont know who buys those Micras now.

Ford really needs the Freestyle to succeed in India. VW need to come in fast with the T-Cross and the Virtus to bolster the overall factory.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th April 2018 at 14:44.
Old 21st July 2018, 14:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Exports Q1 FY19, GM's Beat beats Ford's EcoSport

Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-e.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2018, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Interesting numbers.

1. What happens to GM plant in India, when the Beat production or demand stops? It may happen in a year or two; will they close the factory and run away or will they release the newer products from India?

2. Ford is doing good numbers with the Figo twins with the export. While Freestyle has picked up nicely (I hope the numbers sustain), it will add another zing to the export markets.

3. What does -1 E2O mean? Car returned to India?
Old 26th July 2018, 12:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

PV Exports - Q1FY19

- Exports declined to 1,67,161 units in the April-June period as compared with 1,80,464 units in the same quarter of 2017-18

Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-110.jpg

-Hyundai dethrones Ford and now is the Nr. 1 exporter .

Quote:
Verna, Elite i20 & Grand i20) has helped Hyundai gain significant growth over previous year.
- In the top 10, Hyundai and Nissan post positive growth.

- Maruti Suzuki moves up one slot and is Nr. 3
Quote:
Dzire helps Maruti gain foothold in exports as well! Maruti exported 2715 units of Dzire v/s 147 units in previous FY. Baleno emerges to be the No.1 Exported model from Maruti’s stable – An impressive 8,069 units were exported in the first 3 months of this FY.
- VW slips as exports to S American market stops.
Quote:
Vento & Polo degrew 18% & 26% respectively in terms of exports.
- A player not present in the domestic market becomes the largest exporter of a single model - GM's Beat

Quote:
It was able to produce 20,563 units for exports in Q1 FY19 – which means an average of ~6,850 units / month. This is much higher than what GM used to sell in Indian domestic market!
Full stats of car exports from India (FY 2017-18) : EcoSport, Beat & Vento on top-23.jpg

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2018, 20:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Some manufactures like Ford, VW thrive on export volumes rather than domestic sales.
Explains why Ford has "quietly" and "unofficially" discontinued taking bookings for variants like the Trend+ AT and downgraded the once-offered Sync 3 system from certain trims

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks