Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Endeavour facelift launch in early 2019. EDIT: Spotted in India

Mod Note: Our Endeavour Facelift Report has been taken live at this link (2019 Ford Endeavour Facelift : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a media report, the Ford Endeavour facelift will be launched in India early next year.

Ford Endeavour facelift launch in early 2019. EDIT: Spotted in India-endy1.jpg

Earlier this year, test mules of the updated Endeavour were spotted in Thailand. The spy images suggest that the Endeavour will receive minor design tweaks, which comprise of a revised front grille and bumper as well as new 6-spoke alloy wheels. On the inside, Ford is expected to introduce a couple of new features like passive keyless entry and push button start.

Ford Endeavour facelift launch in early 2019. EDIT: Spotted in India-endy2.jpg

The 158 BHP, 2.2-litre and the 197 BHP, 3.2-litre diesel engines are likely to be carried over to the Endeavour facelift. However, the engines are likely to get an upgrade to meet the upcoming BS-VI emission norms. The 6-speed automatic transmission is likely to be retained as well.

In international markets, the Endeavour, also known as the Everest, is highly likely to be offered with the new 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine available in single or twin-turbo configurations. The twin-turbo engine offered on the Ranger Raptor produces 211 BHP and 500 Nm of torque. It comes paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2019 at 14:29. Reason: Link to facelift report
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:42   #2
BHPian

re: Ford Endeavour facelift launch in early 2019. EDIT: Spotted in India

Do we really need ten gears for this pickup truck ? Does it really bring anything extra to the table ? Agreed, a tall first gear would help tackle the incline, shorter two gears would help the FE figures while cruising down the highway. But isn't 10 gears a lot ? Considering the extra weight and added complexity it brings ?

Mercedes toyed with this idea of 10 gears and then decide its too much to do. Reference :

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...es-102674.html
vaasscit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 17:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
Do we really need ten gears for this pickup truck ? Does it really bring anything extra to the table ? Agreed, a tall first gear would help tackle the incline, shorter two gears would help the FE figures while cruising down the highway. But isn't 10 gears a lot ? Considering the extra weight and added complexity it brings ?

Mercedes toyed with this idea of 10 gears and then decide its too much to do. Reference :

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/m...es-102674.html
It's not a pickup. It's a SUV. Regardless, just because one company decides to not go with one idea, doesn't mean it's good. They decided to stick with 9 instead of 10. For some, 9 is 3 too much as they prefer 6. There are lot's of benefits for 10-gears.

1. Faster Acceleration
2. Higher Top Speeds
3. Efficiency.

Not to mention as bad as CVT's are, people actually believe that regular Autos are better than CVT's and they have a fear of buying a car with CVT transmission (in-fact CVT has more advantages than regular automatic). Companies know that, and hence providing a regular automatic with more gears, it gives you some benefits of CVT without being an actual CVT.
sxenimit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Finally! Been waiting for the update on the facelift since a few months, I wanted to get home the Endeavour in a couple of months time, But i knew a facelift would be coming sometime soon, Ill gladly wait for this.

Hope they include LED headlights, Pure key less go and some more goodies, To make the already extensive feature list even bigger!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking that it would inherit some of the next iteration Ford Ranger's looks. Even I am looking at Endeavour and will see what features they will add to this to decide.
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxenimit View Post
It's not a pickup. It's a SUV.

Ford Endeavour is a five-door SUV variant of the Ford Ranger four-door pickup truck.

Top Speed of the vehicle is determined by the gear ratio of the highest gear and not the number of gears.

Acceleration is determined by torque @ wheel (Gear ratio) : first gear can be shorter for better off-the-line acceleration and the number of gears again play no role here.

The top gear is taller, lowering engine rpm at any given speed, thereby decreasing fuel consumption and CO2 output without compromising acceleration or top speed.

Transmission with more gears allows for a greater ratio spread between them meaning the engine has more options for optimal operation. However the more gears you have, the more complex the architecture of the transmission becomes and you get more friction losses and, as a result, you lose the efficiency.

For this additional clutch required for an 10-speed (compared to 9-speed) would have created more internal drag than the added gear span could offer.

Of-course to be doubly sure, need to understand the architecture of the transmission and the gear spread. If not, this could be a marketing hype to have one gear more than the competition.

Source : Professional experience of 8 years in Automobile Transmission - R&D
vaasscit is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 00:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Ford Endeavour is a five-door SUV variant of the Ford Ranger four-door pickup truck.
Exactly. It's an SUV and not a pickup truck.

Quote:
Top Speed of the vehicle is determined by the gear ratio of the highest gear and not the number of gears.

Acceleration is determined by torque @ wheel (Gear ratio) : first gear can be shorter for better off-the-line acceleration and the number of gears again play no role here.
One of the best example I can provide you, about having more gears and higher top speed is Aston Martin Vanquish. It switched from a 6-speed to an 8-speed ZF Transmission with the same engine. Not only did the 0-60mph time drop from 4.1s to 3.6, but it achieved a higher top speed of 201mph compared to the previous one of 186mph.

Of course number of gears play a role! If you have more gears to choose from, you have shorter ratios for not just the first gear so you have more to choose from. So instead of let's say 2nd gear topping out at 90mph, we can have it top out at 75mph. Wheel torque will be higher for 75mph since we have more aggressive ratios and it will improve acceleration.

As for achieving higher top speed, it was previously limited due to having only 6-gears as the top speed was limited to the top speed 6th gear. In a sense you are correct. More gears =/= top speed directly. They could have achieved 201mph in 6-gears as well. However, that is too aggressive for a car that you will be driving on the highway. Now you add 7th and 8th gear to the car. It enabled Aston Martin to add higher gear ratios to those enabling it to reach 201mph as fast as possible by having more aggressive gears.

Quote:
Transmission with more gears allows for a greater ratio spread between them meaning the engine has more options for optimal operation. However the more gears you have, the more complex the architecture of the transmission becomes and you get more friction losses and, as a result, you lose the efficiency.
Having 10-gears, chances are while driving at a set speed, your RPM's will be low. General rule, lower RPM means better fuel efficiency and lower frictional loss. Of course, accelerating in higher gears is not efficient. However, since it has more gears, it has better chances of finding an efficient engine speed for a wheel speed.

Quote:
For this additional clutch required for an 10-speed (compared to 9-speed) would have created more internal drag than the added gear span could offer.

Source : Professional experience of 8 years in Automobile Transmission - R&D
I'd rather trust reliable sources.

https://autos.winnipegfreepress.com/...automatic.html

Maybe this will help. It also explains how Ford's 10-speed provides better acceleration and better fuel efficiency.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2018 at 10:35. Reason: Language errors
sxenimit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:40   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that is really a "blink and you'll miss it" facelift, huh? I doubt any layman will be able to tell the new from the old. Also, I hope they've done something about the boring rear end. The rear is rather characterless compared to the handsome front.

Quote:
But isn't 10 gears a lot ? Considering the extra weight and added complexity it brings ?
Mod Note: Please continue the discussion on the pros & cons of 10-speed gearboxes on the other thread. No off-topic posts here please.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 12:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Having more gears allows each gear to operate at the optimum torque, which translates to better acceleration and better FE.

One advantage of having more gears is that the engine can be tuned with more "peaked" torque curve, and each gear operates around the peak. Peaking torque curve will increase the torque in that narrow band, which will improve FE. You now do not need a "Flat" torque to cover a large RPM range, which while advantageous for manual transmission, has no distinct advantage with automatic gearbox.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:08   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
But i knew a facelift would be coming sometime soon, Ill gladly wait for this.

Hope they include LED headlights, Pure key less go and some more goodies, To make the already extensive feature list even bigger!
Depends on the pricing though, hope they don't hike it up anymore, they've already raised it by 50k ish last month.

LED headlights wont be there because the current HL assembly doesnt have space for them, it will of course have keyless go and a Start-Stop.
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:16   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly except for the possible Engine Changes all other updates seem very minor and won't help sales nor refresh the looks sufficiently.
ACM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:59   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
other updates seem very minor and won't help sales
The Endeavour is consistently selling over 500 units month after month. I'd say that is incredible for a 30 - 40 lakh rupee Ford. If the facelift helps Ford to sustain these volumes, I guess it's mission accomplished.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Endeavour is consistently selling over 500 units month after month. I'd say that is incredible for a 30 - 40 lakh rupee Ford. If the facelift helps Ford to sustain these volumes, I guess it's mission accomplished.
Actually the direct rival of Endeavour the mighty Toyota Fortuner is selling close to 2k every month so if we consider the relative sales then Endeavour is still lagging. No doubt Endeavour is better product but it is very difficult for Ford to outsell Toyota. Same is the case with Hexa/Xuv vs Innova, despite of all goodies, ride quality, comfort, features etc. they stand nowhere in terms of sales figure.

The interior changes are minimal and we have subtle differences on exterior although I wish I could replace my 1 year old possession for the key-less entry and start-stop button.

By any chance can these two features be added to old models(read: Sync3 ones) by Ford? I remember few members tried replacing Sync2 with Sync3 but Ford didn't supported at all.

Last edited by roby_dk : 3rd May 2018 at 16:36.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:39   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd say that is incredible for a 30 - 40 lakh rupee Ford.
Not when the leader sells at least 2.5x the number, AND when there is virtually NO competition in that segment. The MU-X is as good as dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
By any chance can these two features be added to old models(read: Sync3 ones) by Ford? I remember few members tried replacing Sync2 with Sync3 but Ford didn't supported at all.
I m pretty sure OE swaps wont be supported. However, even in the current model, the self starter is push-button start ready. To check this, crank the engine and dont hold the key in the crank position, it will hold the starter till the engine starts.

Keyless entry is too complex to be retrofitted at the ASC and/or outside, forget it.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 16:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

The front-end was always butch and handsome, the rear is where the Endeavour was getting lost in the crowd, despite its towering dimensions. The chrome bar across the boot is not enough, I hope they have worked harder with the tail lights and the boot profile - not just with the rear bumper.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks