Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2018, 09:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Why doesn't Honda launch the WR-V with a CVT Automatic?

We haven't talked about the HRV. If Honda is planning it for India, it will surely be equipped with Cvt. Then there is no point for planting Cvt in the WRV. Currently there are no updates on HRV.

Aman
Old 12th May 2018, 10:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM6James View Post
The entire research and development for the WR-V
Whats there to research and develop? 90% of it is same as Jazz right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy47 View Post
We haven't talked about the HRV. If Honda is planning it for India, it will surely be equipped with Cvt.
Latest news is that - HRV is not coming to India - but we are getting HRV lookalike based on the new Amaze platform.

So your argument might be right.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 10:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
We should try telling that to the gentlemen who are sitting at the top of the Honda food chain. They take it as, somewhat of an achievement.

Regardless, this comes from a company that gave us the slow outdated and old digipad in the “NEW CITY” and sticks an unbelievably improved digipad 2 that isn’t a lag master in the Amaze.

I’ve only been instances away from throwing the digipad unit back at the Honda dealership
Old 12th May 2018, 10:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Latest news is that - HRV is not coming to India - but we are getting HRV lookalike based on the new Amaze platform.

So your argument might be right.
Thank You for the updates. Doesn't seems a good strategy by Honda by any means. The market is adding so many Cretas, Hexas, Jeeps, XUVs. Considering the market response to high end SUVs, i think not bringing in the HRV is a BIG miss by Honda. They are contend with launching models like BRV and Mobilios.
jazzy47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:15   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM6James View Post
We should try telling that to the gentlemen who are sitting at the top of the Honda food chain. They take it as, somewhat of an achievement.
Changing sheet metal and adding some plastic bits does not involve R&D. But increasing ride height affects dynamics - so that would involve some road and track testing.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 06:54   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 1.5L diesel is actually the more decent option............

Honda recently introduced the Amaze with a diesel CVT. The first proper diesel AT option in the segment! Even though on paper, they had to reduce the motor's output from 100 PS to 80 PS as well as the torque from 200 Nm to 160 Nm, the engine and gearbox tuning have been done so well that you wouldn't be able to tell unless someone told you this. Moderator Suhaas and Eddy drove the Amaze diesel CVT and they told me that it didn't feel like it was detuned so much when driving it. They said it was a brilliant AT box and Suhaas even mentioned it was better than the petrol CVT found in the Amaze and Jazz, with lesser rubber-band effect. You will have to wait for our official review for more details.

Now just imagine this CVT in a WR-V. Yes on paper again, the figures will not be as impressive, but the convenience of a diesel CVT crossover is any day better than the jerky AMTs from Maruti and Tata. It will even one-up Ford who only have the petrol AT option in the EcoSport. Now that Honda have managed to mate the CVT to the 1.5L diesel, the WR-V should be the ideal car to get this transmission option after the Amaze........
Thanks for starting this thread Vid.. I agree with your view and want Honda to think on this to provide CVT in WRV, especially Diesel CVT.

I own a Jazz idtec and know the capabilities (Power,Driveability etc) of it in City,Highway and Ghats.Within the city limits and moderate traffic, It just drives like an automatic in 2nd & 3rd gear without acceleration..

Thanks again for providing a scoop news on Diesel Cvt's driveabilty based on Suhaas and Eddy's feedback. Looking forward to know more on it in our official review.

I am very surprised to see that the diesel CVT introduction in Amaze has created lot of curiousity and interest in our usual Honda IDTEC bashers of our forum, who usually suggest that Honda's IDTEC is loud (mostly based on perception in the air, rather their experience) and has forgotten about it for now.

I am very eagerly waiting to know from our Team Bhp review(who usually say idtec is loud without any mention on the decibel rate vs others in the market while accelerating and idling etc.. Is there a scientific way to measure it? If so ), whether there is any considerable reduction in noise as claimed by popular automags.

Do you have any info on the idtec's loudness Vid, especially in its CVT guise? I think that info will fuel/fizzoff the garnered interest in this diesel cvt..
DieselTorq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 18:37   #52
BHPian

I think Honda has fatter profit margins for the volumes they sell they sell the WR-V manual at versus a proposed CVT WR-V. They really can't be in the more car per car situation like Maruti that sells cars like apples and oranges every month. Think of this... it probably doesn't even bother Honda that there's a new Toyota Yaris, which will not appeal to a loyalist Honda only customer who will clearly see the new all new Amaze as a better product. They know they have strong products & a decent sales forecast that they don't want to upset at this moment. Maybe 2019 could see a move in this direction.

Jazz being the Victim of a WR-V CVT to the point that the manual diesel & petrol sales halve only means end of the line for the Jazz. Which would be a real shame considering it's first outing in India was a premature death.... if, IF this is the real reasoning at Honda India not to introduce a WR-V CVT.

MSIL can chop off a Zen, it's reincarnation Estilo, they've a sale pipeline & zeal to sell other models to refill those buyer segments. On the Honda camp, they've had to convince Japan a lot for their diesel investment here in India & last i read they were'nt too happy with fuel being deregulated. Maybe a WR-V CVT would elicit the same response from the present Masahiro takadegawa of today located in Japan.

What i really wish Honda can bring is the 1.5 Turbo petrol CVT direct injection Honda CR-V that Canada and Japan markets get to India. Atleast a name sake shipment of 100 engines for the CR-V that can sell in a year, with the rest of the line up of the new CR-V being the diesel. That would be considered engine tech of 2018 & not the same detuned iVTEC's Honda has been selling here in India since 2001. It would do wonders even for the proposed new Civic Honda plans to launch in India. Reviews of that engine + box combo i've been seeing on various sites shows that Honda has nailed the power to weight ratio quite nicely even for a family SUV like the CR-V.

Last edited by Ford5 : 14th May 2018 at 18:52.
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:32   #53
BHPian

Slightly off topic - I am always puzzled on this. WR-V and Jazz are same vehicle except for bigger tyres and some cosmetic changes (boot lid, side cladding etc.) and then the customer is willing to pay the extra lakh or so for it.
The company will always position a car to be a cross by making these changes but is the customer so naive to pay for it. I thought customer is very intelligent and rejects such attempts (case in point Cross versions of Liva, i20, Celerio etc. don't sell as much). So whats making WRV so popular? What am I missing here?

Coming back to topic. Since both Jazz and WR-V are identical practically, it's very easy for Honda to have a 1.2 CVT in WR-V. All they need to do is make some process changes for assembly line - not a big deal. However they wouldn't do it because they have positioned WR-V as a cross targeted at people who want to "enjoy" driving while being "in-control" of their drives. And as "perception" goes such people drive only manuals.

Last edited by satishchugh : 23rd June 2018 at 11:34.
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
So whats making WRV so popular? What am I missing here?
You are missing the sunroof.

Quote:

Coming back to topic. Since both Jazz and WR-V are identical practically, it's very easy for Honda to have a 1.2 CVT in WR-V.
The 1.2L engine is pretty good on the Brio, but on the Jazz (and even more on the WRV), it just feels inadequate thanks to the additional weight. I guess a 1.2 CVT on the WRV will make the rubber band effect even more pronounced than what it is on the Jazz.
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 10:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

A 1.2L CVT variant of WR-V may just kill the sportive character of the car. Honda can definitely think of a 1.5L CVT for WR-V.
Old 24th June 2018, 11:39   #56
BHPian

I would say it's plain simple greed from Honda. Ford Freestyle with a better engine, suspension, balanced chassis, a fantastic touch screen sync3 system, better building but a bit lesser roomy cabin and slightly low key interior design sells at around ₹ 2.5 lac cheaper price tag. Also, Ford's maintenance is cheaper, this doesn't make sense already.
And as mentioned by others, the 1.2 is not a good fit for a heavy WRV, on top of that if a CVT is to be offered, I would want to take a TD just to see how bad it could be.
Providing the 1.5 L engine in the already pricey WRV would make it even costlier. Let alone the CVT with that 1.5.
EcoSport with a proper torque converter and a much punchier 1.5 L dragon engine is on the other hand pick of the lot.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 11:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

If this below Ad is anything true, then Honda could be readying WR-V CVT.

Name:  IMG_20190202_115310.png
Views: 1565
Size:  637.2 KB

The ad clearly mentions iVTEC iDTEC CVT, it also says that available in Petrol & Diesel.

I called the dealer and they said they don't have any information regarding availability of CVT.

Don't know if this is a misprint.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:25   #58
Team-BHP Support

This car needs a larger petrol motor. 1.5P CVT with magic seats and assorted stuff, it could take over a large chunk of the sub-15L compact SUV market.

Edit: The 'But it will cannibalize the City!' argument makes no sense at all. They're different car types, and so what if it does? Wanting to protect a specific model when another has huge potential to make money never was a solid argument.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd February 2019 at 12:30.
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Honda's gotten plain greedy, they should have given the WR-V a 1.5L with CVT at least in the top spec. We all know that the 1.2L is inadequate with a weak bottom end for the WR-V. I doubt the 1.5L Dtec CVT would make the cut in this vehicle.
Old 2nd February 2019, 12:39   #60
Senior - BHPian

They already have LHD WR-V with 1.5l engine, CVT, 6 airbags, and magic seat option in Brazil

Edit: Just noticed that I had posted almost same information on this thread last year.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2019 at 12:51.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks