Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2018, 12:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: April 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Maruti has a mind boggling market share of 55.50 % That's a great achievement !! Kudos to them for getting it here with lot of hard work, market research and smartness they shown. Nexa was a brilliant move and got very good success. All their recent models in last 5 years are good and got huge success.

Frankly speaking, this is a big shame for competitors, mainly for Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Ford, VW (except Hyundai off course). After so many years also, they are not able to compete with Maruti and unable to understand Indian mentality. Hardly few models from them like Innova, Honda City, Ecosport etc are able to get success. Hope in coming years we will see more competition from them. Recently Tata is coming up nicely for sure. Sometimes i think 3 biggies like Audi, BMW and Merc are doing much better than them.
aniketi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Whoa! More than 55% market share. Maruti, you beauty!! Hyundai, the number two player, with 15.87% market share can only tell how Maruti has dominated and destroyed the competition in Indian car space.

Real life Thanos!! Snap .
Very true. Although, I believe a large part of Maruti's success is their dealer network, especially their presence in Tier 2 and Tier 3 towns. It would be interesting to see Sales per Dealer for players by model. I have a gut feeling that some competitors may sell more cars per dealership than Maruti does. WIll be good to do this analysis. Additionally, it will be really interesting to see market shares after discounting commercial segment sales (Cab, Cargo etc.). Although this will drastically change numbers not only for Maruti but also for all other players selling to these segments.
cityslicker86 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hexa numbers down! Nexon and Tiago doing great.

Sumo is not on sale right? How do you account numbers for sales of sumo?

Vento selling 400 odd units is pathetic. Rapid a little better at 800. Yaris at 1500 odd units.

Only C2 sedan to do 5000+ units is Ciaz, followed by Verna at 4000. City gets a distant third.

Ciaz facelift with 1.5 petrol will make the sales figures just go higher!

What's wrong with Kwid? Sales have become constant at 5-6k units a month.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 12:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Good observation. I believe, it is the Tiago eating up a pie of sales from the Kwid. When the kwid was selling @ 7-8k/month last year, Tiago was @4-5k/month level and today the numbers are exchanged. It seems the customers interested in the top-end & AMT version of Kwid, jumped to the mid-versions XM, XT of Tiago.

Those who want Maruti would anyways go for the Celerio and Wagon R.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 9th May 2018 at 12:57.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 13:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is the big daddy of volumes in India. The large dealer network and presence across the country has obviously been the principal reason for its success; product innovation, lineup and self cannibalization among trims and models has ensured that once a customer is inside their showroom, multiple choices are available at every increment of INR 20,000.

The kind of redundancy that Maruti has created for its offerings is unbeatable. It seems that whichever manufacturer decides to leave India, its market share goes straight to Maruti. In present day, Maruti is nothing short of monopolistic player in India.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Hexa and XUV5OO were neck-to-neck in March. Discount to the tune of 1 Lakh is going on on the outgoing XUV and hence the numbers didn't drop even with the impending uplift launch in April. Hexa saw massive drop in April due to the XUV uplift launch. Says a lot about the inability of Hexa to wow Indian customers.

Creta is indeed the torch bearer for Hyundai as it's been continuously crunching numbers in the tune of 10000 or so. Remains to be seen how the uplift adds to the numbers June onwards.

Toyota really seems confused with their India strategy. They don't have a head-turner in the most popular hatch segment. Neither does the Etios entice buyers who are looking for entry-level sedans. Yaris is over-priced. Innova and Frotuner will never drive numbers. High time Toyota introduced a decent VFM hatch.

Regards,
Pratyush
prince0407 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 13:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince0407 View Post
Hexa and XUV5OO were neck-to-neck in March. Discount to the tune of 1 Lakh is going on on the outgoing XUV and hence the numbers didn't drop even with the impending uplift launch in April. Hexa saw massive drop in April due to the XUV uplift launch. Says a lot about the inability of Hexa to wow Indian customers.
Wrong analysis. Hexa's numbers have seen 800 units in other months as well. Your interpretation would have been correct had this happened for the first time in April. There was no influence from XUV when Hexa did 800 units in those months and neither is there any significant effect now. Infact, I would say its good that Hexa has held on to 8xx units even after the new XUV launch just like before.
Depends how you see it. Since it did one of the highest sales numbers in March, you feel like its a steep drop and that its a trend.

For a TATA that costs 20+L which is just a year old and considering its brand image, they should be happy with numbers settling around 1000 units a month. No point comparing with others who have decade-old products or a better brand image!

So no, it doesn't say anything about Hexa's ability to wow anyone! What it actually tells you is the customer's preference in the market despite knowing what the car is known for and TATA will have to work on that!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 9th May 2018 at 13:39.
abhi7013 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 14:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice informative thread, but what is missing here is the excellent commentary. I believe, everyone is looking up to some feedback from the team bhp moderators about the sales figures.

Tata's seem to have picked up everything correctly now. I feel that, Nexon; particularly is a good car and has the potential to become a winner. Tata's should now concentrate on getting their after sales and service in order, since they now have 4 good products - Hexa, Tiago, Nexon and to some extent the Tigor.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 15:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Swift / Dzire - eye candies, garnering numbers as usual.

Baleno - another hot selling cake from MSIL. No second thought. But, would like to know how much percentage of RS accounts to these numbers. It seems like refreshed i20 hasn’t been accepted well as expected Hyundai as the YOY indicates.

Ignis - prodigal son returns! What helped the car pick up sales from no where?

XUV - refreshed car seems to be attracting customers. What effect does this have on Compass?! I believe this also accounts for the stock clearance of outgoing model. Some relief for M&M. But let’s see how it will fetch in the long run.

Ameo - is it because of the newly introduced 1L heart? Or is it the stock clearance of the old engines that accounts for sales. I remember seeing polo in the previous having the same effect when 1L was introduced.

Ciaz - is back on the chart! Surprising. Don’t see city or Verna doing any good for their makers.

Tata is doing ok with Tiago and Tigor with backup from Nexon

Disappointing to see Hexa falling slowly.

Bottomline:

Maruti is just undisputed champ on the run! You bet your money on this horse, you are bound to keep running alongside with it. I don’t think any other maker would even think of competing with this giant. These guys have inscribed history in automotive books. Proud to see an Indian car maker growing in such huge scale.

Secondly, Tata - being a fan of theirs, I hope to see them climbing up the ladder in this game.

Lastly, this analysis is something that’s unique to TBHP alone and it feels nice to see and appreciate the efforts put-in by the respective individuals for the benefit of the forum

Well, I believe I missed the following;

Atleast 7 cars for every 10 on road accounts for Maruti, whilst 2 is for Hyundai & 1 M&M or 1 Tata.

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2018 at 23:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:13   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker86 View Post
I have a gut feeling that some competitors may sell more cars per dealership than Maruti does. WIll be good to do this analysis.
Within the Maruti family, Nexa dealers are rolling in the moolah. The average sales / Nexa dealer is higher than that of the average Maruti dealer. Plus, Nexa cars are either higher priced or have fatter margins (e.g. Ignis).

You might be interested in this thread.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 16:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

How does Bolero and Omni keep churning numbers, amazing for such old cars. While Mahindra has been constantly upgrading Bolero, Maruti has not done much on OMNI since long.Its about time they gave it a new heart and some more features.

But, possibly they will kill these products once crash testing becomes mandate in 2019/2020.
Old 9th May 2018, 18:40   #27
BHPian

WagonR.. 16K plus.. Is this the maximum it has sold so far? Next year WagonR will be out of teens! Amazing journey for a value for money car.
ravradha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 23:35   #28
BHPian

Maruti: Keep aside every logic they are born to rule at least in India.
Hyundai: Even the big daddies are doing decent(Elantra, Tuscon).
Fiat: Everyone does and they too got a direction with Compass.
Mahindra: Synonym for Quirky design. Holding off with Double OO.
TATA: On a roll now.
Skoda: Simply Clever, they rule their niche.
volkswagen: Wait for the next special edition rather than an addition to the lineup.
Nissan: Believes in clearing out sale, not new launches.
Datsun: Humping on the success(as per them) of Redi-Go.
Honda: iVtech doing the duty for them.
Toyota: Father and Mother of Big Daddy's with Fat Pockets.
Ford: Not here to give up. Thumbs Up.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 07:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

Kwid was actually never a good car. It had its initial shock value because of the looks and the price. Reliability was poor. And then there was the Renault habit of releasing update after update of the car based on market feedback. It is almost as if Kwid was a real time laboratory for Renault in India. They put the minimum possible material initially. With reports of failures after failures, they kept on updating the car. 4-5 versions of the car in 2 years!!!
Ultimately the informed customer caught on. The present Kwid is actually a very decent car. Safer and Reliable.
Old 10th May 2018, 07:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Kwid was actually never a good car. It had its initial shock value because of the looks and the price. Reliability was poor.
This is the first time I hear something about the unreliability of Kwid. Personally I own one for 18 months and it has been pretty reliable to say the least.
Also,we don't have any niggles/repairs thread for kwid in TeamBhP afaik.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed