Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2018, 07:28   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: April 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Reliability was poor.
And if we may know that what made you arrive on this conclusion?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 11:34   #32
Senior - BHPian

Boy oh boy! Maruti is literally on a roll. There seems to be no stopping them! Dzire within touching distance of 26K, Swift closing in on 23K, Alto at 21K, Baleno at 20K & WagonR at 16K! Even the S cross has started selling well after facelift. They must be laughing all their way to the banks.

Good to see Tata maintaining their performance with Tiago twins. Nexon claims the 2nd spot in its segment which is good to see!
Old 10th May 2018, 12:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Me too thinking same. I own a KWID 800 December 2015 model. Till date there is not a single niggle and the mileage is close to 21 KMPL (semi-urban/rural). As per me KWID's ride is best in the class too.
myavu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Kwid was actually never a good car. It had its initial shock value because of the looks and the price. Reliability was poor.

-----

With reports of failures after failures, they kept on updating the car. 4-5 versions of the car in 2 years!!!
Ultimately the informed customer caught on. The present Kwid is actually a very decent car. Safer and Reliable.

Talking about 'well-built' and 'not-so-well built' cars, I'd say the Kwid is 'sufficiently build' for its price point. AFAIK its as reliable as its competitors, if not better.

Are you by any chance talking about the crash test results? If so, let's please wait till the crash test results come out for Alto, Wagon-R etc. before we junk the Kwid.
GeneralJazz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 23:23   #35
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the sales report for the month of April 2018.

Few observations from my side -

1. Obviously, the biggest story of this month is more than 55% of Maruti Suzuki market share. This is possible by 4 of their cars breaching the 20K sales mark which is a first in the history.

2. Baleno hit its peak sales month crossing the 20K mark for the 1st time and Dzire has its 3rd best ever month, highest in this year. Although the new generation Swift has sold 22,776 units, this is a shade lower than 23,802 units sold exactly the same month last year.

3. The new Yaris has started off decently and City has one of its bad month in recent times. This could be the impact of Yaris or Honda may prioritized the launch of new Amaze over their other cars, since all their other cars has well have a dip in sales. The upcoming months may decide the fate of Yaris and this is going to be intriguing battle in midsize segment sedan category.

4. The new facelifted XUV 500 has also started off decently by selling close to 3K units after a pretty long time, more than 2 years to be precise when XUV 500 sold 3,161 units in Mar 2016.

5. Etios had its worst ever month (barring the GST month, Jun '17) since launch - Yaris effect?

6. Has Tata finally laid the legendary Indica and Indigo to rest?
Old 10th May 2018, 23:59   #36
BHPian

A look at the Top 25 cars for the month of April, historically from 2011.

April 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-apr18_historic_1.png

April 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-apr18_historic_2.png
jpcoolguy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 00:11   #37
BHPian

I feel real reason for Maruti dominance is frequent updates to their line up of popular cars. Case in point being Maruti Swift which is now in its third generation whereas cars like Polo arev still running on decade old platform. Their service is still better than most competitors. I think all these factors are contributing to Maruti Dominance. There is Maruti for every budget .
Old 11th May 2018, 03:49   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
....It is really sad to see the global giants like Nissan,. Fiat and Renault struggling in India.
Renault: maybe. Fiat - no! Fiat is in good profits in the Indian market. Every diesel Maruti sold is running with a Fiat heart (engine)

The Maruti sales figures are simply amazing. All the top 5 spots claimed with such massive numbers.
Old 11th May 2018, 03:58   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Any way to collate and present data as a moving three month average to take out single month deviations? This will also take winds out of fan boys and apologists.
sudev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Great to see the face-lifted SCross have a 46.8% YoY growth since, in my opinion, its got a healthy balance of looks and functionality.

However, unable to comprehend the phenomenal 198% YoY growth of the Maruti Dzire? Most likely the growth in the cab sector - but still wow!!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:59   #41
BHPian

Thanks Aditya!

Honda is losing its appeal in Indian market. City, which used to be an aspirational product for many is trailing behind Maruti Ciaz for last few months. Buyers preference to pseudo- SUVs could be reason for this decline. In addition to that, compromise on quality of the products without any differentiation from competition, cannot really justify the perceived or claimed premium feel of Honda products.

WRV petrol package is a compromise with mediocre 1.2-liter engine and buyers have better options; read ES, Nexon etc. It is essentially Jazz on steroids with bigger body-shell and enhanced ground clearance to tag a premium of more than 1 lakh.

Do not know, what Toyota people are planning with their product portfolio. We will wait and watch how Indian consumers respond to Yaris package.
Other than Innova, no other product of Toyota India, cuts any ice. Innova does not have any real competition in its segment and that is working in its favor. But I must mention, Innova is an extremely reliable product and made its own strong image irrespective of Toyota brand name.

Other manufacturers’ numbers are as expected without any real surprise!
Old 11th May 2018, 12:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Toyota has lost sales in all models except the all time great Innova. Even the Octavia out sold the Corolla last month. Unless the Yaris clicks, truly a one trick pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Do not know, what Toyota people are planning with their product portfolio. We will wait and watch how Indian consumers respond to Yaris package.
Other than Innova, no other product of Toyota India, cuts any ice.
Don't forget that Fortuner brings more moolah to Toyota than what a City/Ciaz/Verna brings to their respective manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Sumo is not on sale right? How do you account numbers for sales of sumo?
Sumo Gold is still on sale. Tata Motors website - http://sumo.tatamotors.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
WagonR.. 16K plus.. Is this the maximum it has sold so far? Next year WagonR will be out of teens! Amazing journey for a value for money car.
Nope, this is not the first time WagonR has sold more than 16K units, however there are not many months when it had does that.

Apr '17 - 16,348
Jul '17 - 16,301
Sep '16 - 16,645
Jun '14 - 17,119 (this is the highest ever)
Sep '12 - 16,456
Oct '10 - 16,952

I don't have data before Jul '10, so WagonR may have sold more than this since it is launched much before than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
However, unable to comprehend the phenomenal 198% YoY growth of the Maruti Dzire? Most likely the growth in the cab sector - but still wow!!
Apr '17 was the last month before the new generation Dzire launched, so the low numbers, which led to this bigger difference in YOY growth.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 12:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Honda is losing its appeal in Indian market. City, which used to be an aspirational product for many is trailing behind Maruti Ciaz for last few months. Buyers preference to pseudo- SUVs could be reason for this decline. In addition to that, compromise on quality of the products without any differentiation from competition, cannot really justify the perceived or claimed premium feel of Honda products.
Just my 2 cents, Honda is losing market share because I personally find their products too tame and conservative. Add to that the interiors are not anywhere close to class leading. If anything that is helping is the iVTEC.
Fortuner is equally strong as Innova for Toyota. Selling close 2000 copies of 40lac car is just outstanding. Corolla was doing good until last month. Only products that are struggling are Etios/Liva which are due for replacement. Yaris- well only time will tell.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th May 2018 at 18:29. Reason: Quoted post edited. Please avoid quoting a long post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 11th May 2018, 16:26   #44
BHPian

Fiat has managed to sell 34 copies in Feb and 65 in April, while Jeep is doing well. Will the numbers come down to "zero" by the end of the year for Fiat? I guess that will happen for sure.
Old 12th May 2018, 22:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Apart from the fact that I am ignoring the underlying sarcasm in your question, I bought a Kwid for my parents. Bloody awful car when you compare to a Tiago or even to a Celerio. Can't say about the Alto but haven't heard of such failure before.
Out of all the issues with the car, the breakage of muffler mounting at 10000 km was the shocker. I had bought the 1st version. My shock increased when I drove my friend's recently bought Kwid; from NVH to handling, everything was better. Now I felt cheated. I always knew Maruti shortchanged their customers, but Renault is two steps ahead. I am done with Renault for a lifetime.
I will not discuss crash because we all know how Renault fares.
Carma2017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks