Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 22:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Will Auto Shows be a thing of the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volvo Officially claims to skip all Auto Shows (as of now). Will skip the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.

Instead, the Swedish car maker will focus on developing its own events in a bid to target "a new mix of audiences".
]

My money is on quite a few manufacturers taking a similar approach. These shows cost silly money and it is impossible to even begin to calculate a business case. With money being tight, these guys have decided to spend it more efficiently. Their own events: they control who gets invited, what get shown, where, how often etc.

Car shows are a thing of the past! Punters like it because it allows them to see a lot of new cars in a few hours. But if you are never interested in say a Volvo it's a big cost to them just to entertain you. Why would BMW show the new 5 series to people that are never ever going to buy it?

I'm all for killing all these car shows. Mind you, we need to more classic/vintage car shows. Here in Europe we are not disappointed, let me tell you! I have invites for every weekend of the year!

The only problem I have is how to get on to the invites of the manufacturers I like whereas we all know I will never ever buy a new car from them! So far I am still getting invites for soirées of Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi and a few others. But at some point in time I might actually have to buy an actual new car to get invited. It's simply not worth it!

I detest marketing guys, buy second hand! I am waiting for the likes of Mercedes, JLR and a few more who are now actively promoting their vintage brand to start inviting me!!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 9th June 2018 at 22:52.
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 09:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Will Auto Shows be a thing of the past?

Quote:
Volvo Officially claims to skip all Auto Shows (as of now). Will skip the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.

Ford likely to skip 2019 Geneva Motor Show.

Quote:
The decision is reportedly due to the fact that the Blue oval automaker has a launch schedule that doesn’t fit the show’s schedule. Instead of visiting the first big European show of the year, Ford will organize its own event.
Quote:
It costs a sizeable amount of money," a spokesman for Ford of Europe told the online publication. "If you're not going to make a return on the investment in terms of media attention or people on the stand, why do it?

Link
Old 30th June 2018, 13:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Not just auto shows, I think cars on public roads will be a thing of the past, and become a sport like horse racing is today. Life will be along the lines of:

- It is illegal to run manually driven cars on public roads
- Enthusiasts run them on tracks
- To go anywhere, you get into & out of public self driven vehicles
- The service will be solar-powered and "free" (having paid a tax for it)
- Those vehicles will be much, much faster than the vehicles we have today. You will reach the other end of the multi-level city in a matter of a few minutes

The technology that will enable all this is technically already here; there is a humongous amount of work, time and money that needs to go in to make it happen, but that's just a matter of.. well, work, time and money.

So I am hoping I am still around to sit in an armchair and recall fondly the days of combustion engines, slow transportation and the pleasure of driving / riding.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

And the trend continues..

Ford Says ‘No’ To 2019 Geneva Motor Show As It Lacks Major Premieres.

Link
Old 27th October 2018, 10:20   #20
bkc
BHPian

Quote:

2018 Auto Expo N Delhi : VAG group, Ford, Volvo, FCA,Nissan, to name a few who did not participate.
Among these, VAG, FCA and even Nissan to some extent, doesn't seem to take India's market seriously.

Looking by their recent launches, sales figures, no product of them can currently change their fate here.

OT
I see a lot of missed opportunity with them.

VAG

1) It can improvise the customer satisfaction, like the current TATA.
2) It can Facelift the AMEO, to a better looking sedan.
3) Instill more confidence of that DSG by some means and reduce the cost of insanely priced spares.

FCA

1) With that MJD and Punto chassis, they could rise in the market, but, the updates or features doesn't match the current segment trends.
2) Again, Improvise the customer satisfaction.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 17:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Auto Shows have lost their value

You incur nearly $5-10 million on appearing at a major show. Nowadays people would prefer to get info on the net or pop into the local showroom.

Shows to have certain value
  • To release a concept
  • To handshake deals behind the scenes
  • To get feedback on proposed variants/ models

You will see that some manufacturers appear at certain shows

Everyone now appears in China. India is not there yet. Big limo's are launched there
Geneva is a VW show + supercars
Frankfurt for the German cars
Paris for the French and German cars being released outside the bi-annual Frankfurt show
LA for convertibles
Detroit for the US and global SUV's

Thats how I see it.

You want customers to look at your cars, work with dealers to appear at country fairs etc.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th September 2019 at 16:16.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 11:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

With the auto sales taking a hit worldwide - skipping auto shows now become a cost cutting measure.

Latest is JLR will not participate in the 2019 Geneva Motor show.

Quote:
British carmaker to miss one of the automotive calendar’s high-profile events, as part of cost cutting measures following its second consecutive quarterly loss.

Link
Old 8th February 2019, 07:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Skips Geneva Show , but confirms participation at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show.

Other major players within the automotive industry that have said ‘no’ to the Geneva Motor Show are Volvo, Ford and Jaguar Land Rover.

Their decisions are based on a number of factors, from poor sales in certain markets to the fact that they have no major premieres to show off.

Link
Old 13th February 2019, 21:22   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

VW, Toyota rise to the defense of auto shows, says it is important .

Quote:
High-ranking executives from Volkswagen Group and Toyota Motor Corp. upheld the value of global auto shows as proven ways to market vehicles. They said larger shows — especially those with venues big enough to house experiential marketing displays such as ride-and-drives — will play an important role in their marketing efforts for the foreseeable future.
Link
Old 31st July 2019, 09:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

And the trend continues...

Audi & BMW to skip the 2019 TOKYO AUTO SHOW.

Quote:
German luxury marques join growing list of absentees for Japanese event, including the PSA Group, Volkswagen and Volvo.
Scheduled to run from October 24 to November 4, the Tokyo motor show is Japan's biggest automotive industry event.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st July 2019 at 09:34.
Old 24th September 2019, 11:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Just concluded Frankfurt Auto show' revealed that the visitor plunge to almost a third.

Predicts there will not be a show in 2021.

Quote:
This year's show, which ended Sunday, had 560,000 visitors, according to the VDA. This compares with 810,000 when the biennial event was last held in 2017
Quote:
The absence of brands including Toyota, Renault, Peugeot, Nissan, Fiat and Ferrari was a serious blow for the organizers, the VDA, Germany's auto industry association. On top of that, thousands of climate activists protested outside the entrance, highlighting the simmering tensions between the German car industry and the country's environmentalists.
Link
Old 24th September 2019, 16:11   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Predicts there will not be a show in ]
That could well turn out to be a correct prediction. Regular modern car shows are becoming a thing of the past very rapidly indeed.

As I might have mentioned before, classic car shows and events appear to be absolutely booming in most of Europe.

Bigger and bigger and more and more shows about!

Jeroen
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes exits New York auto show for 2020.

Quote:
Once a star of America's biggest car shows, Mercedes-Benz is now abandoning them, one by one.

The German luxury maker plans to skip next year's New York auto show, after having been a central figure at the influential luxury-leaning consumer event for at least four decades. It is part of a bigger move by Mercedes — and one also being made by other brands around the world. In recent years, Mercedes also has dropped out of the premier U.S. auto shows in Detroit and Chicago

Link
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

As discussed before, the trend continues.

I do not know about India, but what I do see in Europe is that the premium brands are investing more in very specific small scale events. So they will make a bigger thing out of launching a new model. Brands such as BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Porsche already used to invite customers to their launches.

But they are also reshuffling their dealer network. Fewer dealers, but with a bigger and more luxurious fascilities, so they do these launches in house.

Also, I see them pop up at more and more life style sort of events. For these mostly high end brands that is probably a much more effective way. Lots of people are interested in a BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar. Few can actually afford one. Marketing is about addressing the right target audience.

So you just need to make sure you get on their invite list for these events!

Jeroen
Old 12th January 2020, 19:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi joins Mercedes and BMW in dropping out of 2020 N. Y Auto show.

Audi:
Quote:
continue to evaluate auto shows on a case-by-case basis moving forward to determine if they are the best platform for U.S. and world premieres of our upcoming models

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks