Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2006, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Why not Cedia

Having bought two fantastic vehicles(Vtec and 1.6 sports) i was made to swear that no more cars. self-indulgence is a good thing but only just.
but for quite some time one car has been constantly poking fun of my silent pledge by appearing in daily news paper Ads.

It is Cedia. its been offered at a price of 8.28 Ex-showroom. mumbai and OTR works out to 9.24 lacs. I called fortpoint thane yesterday and enquired whether a TD can be arranged in Vashi. they confirmed it after an hour. although the fellows got bit late 6.30 pm.

The test car was Opel white and i could immidiatly notice curious glance being showered by puzzeled onlookers.

Looks: now its not a new launch, so you all must have your own opinion about it, but to me it was impressive. Its a big car which does not look that big. that nose was distinct although Tail-lamps did not appeal to me of this Elegance model. those alloys look decent but it was not about one particular aspect, it was about overall presence and this car does has some presence.

Inside the car: i felt comfortable the moment i slipped into driver seat. I just pushed back the seat a little thats it. First thing about any drivers car has to be seating position and i with 6 month running still struggle to find that in Vtec. add to that the wind screen layout. you have full cinemascopeic view with minimum obstrction. Dash looks good although you would not get ICE and leather seats in this Executive version. thier is ample space upfront.

Moving the car: Frankly i just glanced throught the interiors and al. i was to keen to get going. now i had no idea about this baby. i searched through this forum but could find very little. the gear was easily slotted into first clutch feel was light. Mind it Vtec set standards for light clutch and gear shift quality but this car can hold on to the challenge. i put slight pressure on the accelerator and voiala ! it rocked forward my heart began to beat. i am going to enjoy it. i took it for a little spin on Palm beach.

it becomes very crowded at this time so drove it like a Bike. slotted the second gear, vrooom. this baby surely talk with you went wizzing past couple of gasping vehicles then brakes. speedo was detatched my feedback was coming from Rpm needle, from 5000 to 1000 in no time breaking was very impressive Abs and Ebd. does inspire confidence.

This car is mad and not that bad: in further 15 minutes i dicovered what i missed by 6 months. heck had it been offered at this price then i would have been doing a 5000 km report. i noticed it offered amazing ride and still their was no compromise on handling i took one curve in forth gear doing 4500 rpm. no body roll. i kept braking it at that speed and no drama.
i had this gentlemen Mr. Linto from Hindustan motors sitting behind me and after the initial shock started grinning.

he urged me to take it on rough and not to slow down. i did and was surprised by the carpet like ride it offered.

The deal on this car. their are two traditional version Elegance and sports both offered at 10.96 OTR (9.87 Ex showroom). it seems they have excess stock of Elegance model a discount of 1.40 is offered on it.

i think Executive model. at 9.24 OTr is absolute steal you have airbags,Abs&Ebd alloys and stuff.

I urge people of this forum to write their experince about it. i do not belive its the same forum which talks passionatly about Palio, V-tec, beleno and even Verena and still so mute about this hell of a car.
whose only drawback i could figure was a little lack of space at the back seat. but yes i have to give it to this car, robbed me of me peace.

Last edited by fight_club : 23rd December 2006 at 15:36.
Old 23rd December 2006, 15:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review...was fun reading it. The Cedia is a very competent car and shares many attributes with the Lancer; great ergonomics, splendid handling, better-than-typically-Jap build quality and a certain level of refinement. My Vtec is fast but my ex-Lancer made me feel more special.

What the Cedia lacks is brand value and recall. This is very important to cars selling at a premium price.

Quote:
and i with 6 month running still struggle to find that in Vtec.
Its been 2 years and I am still trying to find a comfortable position in the Vtec. Those darn front seats just dont have any support built in them!!
Old 23rd December 2006, 16:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely written review. Very comprehensive and your experience is good enough for me to sign up for a test drive. Have you driven the old Lancer before? If yes how does the handling compare between the Cedia and its predecessor?
Old 23rd December 2006, 17:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Have you driven the old Lancer before? If yes how does the handling compare between the Cedia and its predecessor?
unfortunatly not, dippy. it was my first experience on any mitsubishi product. i am still reeling from hangover.

Quote:
good enough for me to sign up for a test drive
great! waiting for your impression.
Old 23rd December 2006, 18:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What the Cedia lacks is brand value and recall. This is very important to cars selling at a premium price.

Its been 2 years and I am still trying to find a comfortable position in the Vtec. Those darn front seats just dont have any support built in them!!
Ditto for me - on the seats- on tiring city drives, I find myself taking the Swift

In addition to brand value and recall, the issue is that it is a little overpriced. If it was Rs50000 more than a City, it would be a steal.

Resale value is the barrier for me....or will it be an enabler....get one at a steal and hot that Mivec engine up...oh boy!!!!
Old 23rd December 2006, 18:54   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Ditto for me - on the seats- on tiring city drives, I find myself taking the Swift

In addition to brand value and recall, the issue is that it is a little overpriced. If it was Rs50000 more than a City, it would be a steal.

Resale value is the barrier for me....or will it be an enabler....get one at a steal and hot that Mivec engine up...oh boy!!!!
it is 50g more than the city ! i paid 9.45l for my city cvt

Last edited by jesal : 23rd December 2006 at 18:55.
Old 23rd December 2006, 21:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

While helping my friend decide on a new car, I test drove Cedia last week. It was great. 170 came without fuss. Slammed the brake at 140, ABS kicked in and car stopped in straight line without drama. Felt quite composed on bad roads (had to go on one of those to reach the good road where I touched 170). Also did an imaginary slalom test and the car came out trumps. 4.9m of turning radius really helped during U turns.

I meant to test drive both Civic and Corolla on the same road in the same way. Couldn't get around to do it because things at work became really hectic. Will probably do that this week.

The only thing that I really missed in the Cedia was the lack of grunt after 4500 rpm. I am spoilt by my OHC VTEC where revving beyond 4500 is a lot of fun.
Old 23rd December 2006, 21:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

I test drove the Cedia extensively during the launch herein bangalore. This was not the launch at the showroom but by HM directly. The HM guys were here and i got a royal treatment from them as i frequently interact with them for my lancer SFXi. They gave me full permission to take the car to its limits on a nice empty piece of stretch.

The handling of the car is very very good. I preferred it to the corolla which doesnt feel as taut as the cedia. There is a little understeer at the limit but it can be controlled very easily. I found that the lancers tail gets loose if i push her beyond the limit whereas for this car i was able to judge it better.
The braking was very good with the ABS and EBD. The cars ride and handling strikes the best balance. It's much better than cars of a higher segment according to me.
The engine is very refined and power comes thick and early when you dab the gas. The gears are typical mitsu, slick and precise. Somehow i found the old lancers shift action better more meaty.
The seating position now that i think about it was good even i too was able to get comfy just by pushing the seat all the way back.
It's an highly underrated car which HM are not able to sell.
I'm currently in Singapore and just looking at the number of Cedias here makes me sad that this car is not doing well in India.
The cedias here out number the corolla, city, sunny, civic eaisly. Out of every 10 cars you spot 4 are cedias. It is extremely popular here with owners who mod them up brilliantly.
It's one of the highest selling cars here as i found out.

It takes all the good things of the lancer one level up. The sad thing is they have done a few cost cutting in the car to achieve the price. Im just nit picking here. They have removed the front map lamps, no more power antennas, no foglamps on sports, instruments very basic.
Old 23rd December 2006, 22:53   #9
BHPian

Hey Fight club,
Though driving a Skoda i have no right to talk about maintainence & service but IMO the Cedia blows the top. Its definitely the most expensive to maintain in its segment and perhaps even the segment above it... And then as GTO said, you don't get brand value. After vtecs and 1.6 sports, the Cedia just doesn't do it. What do you think of the Corolla executive...?
The deals are getting attractive by the day, so think a little and follow your heart... What say?
Merry X'mas, dMH
Old 23rd December 2006, 22:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have a lot more respect for the Cedia after it comfortably won INRC rallies.

Plus imagine the amount of aftermarket parts (for EVO) that are available for modding.

Too bad about that sedate engine
Old 23rd December 2006, 23:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

My friend took a test drive of the Optra, corolla, and the city (Civic was just launched), before buying the Optra...

He bought it cause of the lower price tag, and better image... But the cedia was the car that won his heart... He still repents for not having been able to get the cedia... (family took joint final decision on the Optra)
Old 24th December 2006, 16:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Fight club,
Though driving a Skoda i have no right to talk about maintainence & service but IMO the Cedia blows the top. Its definitely the most expensive to maintain in its segment and perhaps even the segment above it... And then as GTO said, you don't get brand value. After vtecs and 1.6 sports, the Cedia just doesn't do it. What do you think of the Corolla executive...?
The deals are getting attractive by the day, so think a little and follow your heart... What say?
Merry X'mas, dMH
merry x'mas to you and all,

Motorhead, M not planning to Buy another vehicle(i would be lynched if i do) but my love for cars and especially drivers car would always get better of me.

their was something about it which appealed me more then others. I am not sure whether it would a drag queen, but the way power is delivered is awesome and its driving dynamics(unparalleled combination of ride and handling, great seating position etc) truly makes it an enthusiast delight.

after all how many 1.6 sports are sold here and how would have been sold had it fallen in 9-10 lac category. i agree with the spares cost concern and brand value etc are coming in its way from setting sales chart on fire.

but what was shocking for me is on this forum where we celebrate true driver cars like festivals their is no mention of this legend and legend it is to me.

cheers
Old 25th December 2006, 03:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.This is one car I was waiting for to be spoken on team-bhp, without a doubt this is definitely an enthusiasts car.

Mitsubishi needs to improve its brand value in India,until then it will be No Cedia for most.

Ps:
Just like ajmat me too hope the low resale value would get this dream machine into my budget
Old 25th December 2006, 11:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to post this from Mangalore - doing it from BLR anyway. I fail to understand Mitsubishi's lack of interest in establishing a footprint in India. More than that, I feel we should take it upon ourselves, as an auto enthisiasts group, to identify those salient drivers cars that are in/to be launced in the Indian market - with the same passion as for Palio 1.6/OHC VTEC
Old 25th December 2006, 19:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

The cedia is no doubt a great drivers car with best handling, balance, brakes, etc. Unfortunately, HM has detuned the engine to the point of making it diesel type drivability and marked the cost of spares at almost merc level. If it had been priced reasonably at the initial launch, with a better engine, I am sure it would have won over many corolla buyers.

Most Viewed