Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2006, 06:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
its not an eyecatcher as it used to and there are other cars with better performance and better mileage....So Why an OHC??????
Could you tell us about the better performance/mileage cars alongwith what prices they are available at?
Old 28th December 2006, 12:18   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If my budget was within 4.5 - 5 lakh rupees, I would look at an OHC (or the Old Honda Accord).

Reasons:

1. Its still the power king. Most 6 - 8 lakh C Segmenters are below a 100BHP.

2. I love the looks, and am a huge fan of clean designs (versus modern funky lines).

3. Its cheap to run. Reliability, low depreciation and good FE are fortes of the OHC.

4. Its great to drive. The steering / gearbox / engine combination of the OHC is a 10 out of 10. I genuinely believe that the Vtec is as satisfying to drive as an RS.

5. There is plentiful after-market support for modifications.

6. Lack of alround options within the same budget, I would get a Baleno / Palio 1.6 / Lancer....all of whom fall short in relative appeal.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2006 at 12:19.
Old 28th December 2006, 12:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Agree with you GTO. There are so many could have beens, but were wasted efforts.
1. Verna : If it was around 115bhp with a stiffer suspension, it could have had a 10 sec 0-100 with handling to match. The engine is super smooth and very advanced. But hyundai botched the game. Their earlier sorry efforts were the GTX tornado
2. Baleno : the closest contender, almost there, but falls short
3. Palio/Petra 1.6 : A gem of a car ruined by Fiat
4. SRV : Botched pricing with sorry performance. A little less price, a little more power would have made it the performance king, but then GM would not have been GM, right
5. Tatas : They almost stepped into Indian Rally scene, have a DOHC 16v 100bhp petrol engine already running. But their diesel obsession means petrols get stepmotherly treatment.
7. Ford : Fusion almost ran, and Fiesta is close, but a little more effort could have made a car leagues ahead of the Ikon 1.6, but again FE wins.
8. Maruti : Swift holds such promise. 110bhp with 50K extra pricing will make it the most desired hot hatch. A maruti built E-Zen(engine is a direct fit) could also have been there, but again FE wins

There is technology in the market to beat OHC with a reasonable price, but always the FE game comes into play in this segment.
But then you cant really blame the manufacturers when you see people wanted to put LPG in a GTX!
Old 28th December 2006, 13:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
thinking practically this car doesn't makes sense any more .its not an eyecatcher as it used to and there are other cars with better performance and better mileage....So Why an OHC??????
i cant agree with that. it is still an eye catcher, maybe the newer cars are more eye catching because of the funny (read as gunny bag) shapes they come in. talking about performance & better mileage, please take the effort to make us learn different like you obviously have.
Old 28th December 2006, 13:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

OHC is a nice car specially i love the Type II... If anything that needs a goodbye is M800.. As its sales have dropped a huge and people prefer buying Alto.

Though this is not an issue over here. Just ask 10 people around you whether they like OHC or NHC. 8 will say OHC. The car engine is a gem Vtec. Plus its packed with good features + good power + great looks.

As GTO said clean design makes OHC a great car.... but one has to move ahead with the world so i wont comment much on design. But i also love clean design (OHC, Lancer) rather than blunt designs.

Car is very easy to modify (second in my list.. 1st is Lancer) and lot of stuff is available in after market.

Honda cars are worthy and give good FE.. 1 or 2 KM / ltr more than its competition. And its still and eye catcher. Look at the car in its stock condition its still looks good without alloys...

Though Honda India has already said bye to OHC when they launched NHC but its still alive in enthusiasts hearts.
Old 28th December 2006, 15:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good! Spread this thought. There'll be a plenty of used beauties flooding the market if the sentiment gets around - and fun for us all
Old 29th December 2006, 06:00   #22
BANNED

But paying about 3-4 lakhs for a 2000/01 OHC is not a feasible idea anyhow, even if the car is in showroom condition !!! I would just rate it as stupid decision....
Old 29th December 2006, 13:07   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But paying about 3-4 lakhs for a 2000/01 OHC is not a feasible idea anyhow, even if the car is in showroom condition !!! I would just rate it as stupid decision....
You have a reason for the same, or you just like to give statements without substianting your claims?
Old 29th December 2006, 13:33   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If my budget was within 4.5 - 5 lakh rupees, I would look at an OHC (or the Old Honda Accord).

The Old Accord resale is only 5 lakhs !
Old 29th December 2006, 13:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

would you feel clever if you paid 2 lakhs for a 2000/2001 santro & pat yourself in the back ???
Old 29th December 2006, 14:08   #26
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Old Accord resale is only 5 lakhs !
yeppers the OLD Honda accord goes for between 4-6L and its one helluva ride huh with all leather and stuff.
Old 29th December 2006, 14:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Interesting topic

Have been the proud owner of an OHC since the past 2 months. I bought the used, its exactly 3 years old. Been driving around in it and I dont find any of todays so called new gen cars giving a same combo of feel, looks, performance and image as the OHC. Great resale value with fabulous FE in or out of the city. Who said ATs arent FE? The OHC AT surely is.

The OHC still holds its own among other new cars today . So i dont see a reason for a NO.

just my two cents
Old 29th December 2006, 14:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
OHC is a nice car specially i love the Type II... If anything that needs a goodbye is M800.. As its sales have dropped a huge and people prefer buying Alto.
Understand it's off topic but as you have mentioned M800, I must say that M800 is still a very good package for it's price, have drove it for number of years. Only thing it needs is booster assisted braking.
Old 29th December 2006, 14:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
yeppers the OLD Honda accord goes for between 4-6L and its one helluva ride huh with all leather and stuff.
Yes it sure is one helluva ride but not quite when you own one and need to sell it for so low!
Old 29th December 2006, 15:10   #30
BHPian

Now I am, have a OHC vtec 2001, earlier had a M800 type1. I feel lot better and the family likes the OHC.. We are more pleased with the ride and the no-nonsense honda. Its my attitude to be proactive rather than reactive in life. what I am looking forward is to keep my OHC with me for more years, So I have decided months ago to get my car a good checkup and replace critical and aged OEM parts from the honda dealer.. So this should keep it running for good number of years. I dont mean to replace parts like engine/gearbox etc.. but only maybe replace suspension, exhaust, brakes, radiator, pipes, etc.. if they been used nicely.. My budget is around 75K to 1 lakh (since this I would any way pay as tax for a new vehicle)... This should make it as good as new for another couple of years.. anyway .. Also the is option of LPG fitment..

Who knows I may be interested in Modding the car after 3 yrs or less

I like the Honda Civic/skoda.. but am sure to wait for that to come in to the second hand market so till then love my first wife

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks