Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 11:41   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

M800-My first car and honestly the most VFM car in recent times. I didn't get a chance to get bored of it as I totalled it. If it hadn't ended the way it did, probably the reason for getting totalled (poor brakes) would've been the reason for me to get tired of it.

Punto-I loved everything about it except the underpowered engine. ~68bhp for a tonne plus car was too less. Initially, coming from the M800, it was ok, but after 6+ years and 85000Kms, I longed for a change.

Still not tired of driving the GTTSI but the cramped passenger cabin may become a reason soon
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:50   #47
Team-BHP Support

My car history

Peugeot 309SRi - Got tired after 6 years when I needed to travel a lot and the low gearing was tiring. The handling of the car was something else.
Tata Sierra - Got tired of picking up pieces that fell off
Maruti Zen - Never got bored of it, outgrew it
Honda City VTec - Never got bored but long journeys at high speed were tiring
Skoda Octavia RS - Never got bored of it but got tired of various niggles
Maruti 800 - never got tired of it but I wanted something safer
Maruti Swift - Not bored or tired but 90k+ 12 years - its getting on
VW Jetta - Bit bored after dieselgate remap - need to revamp it

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2018 at 07:46. Reason: Typo.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:39   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Especially after driving the Yaris for a few days for the official review.
Post 273 here made me believe you thought the City was a better car for the money.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4391016

When it comes to cars it seems like I get the "8 year itch".

My car:
2012-today Toyota Camry
2004-2012: Skoda Octavia vRS
1996-2004: Opel Astra 1.6
1988-1996: Hindustan Motors Contessa 1.8 ISZ (partial use as I was in an out of India during these years).

Wife's car:
2009-today: Honda City (to be replaced by a Toyota Yaris or a Honda City)
2003-2009: Opel Sail 1.6
1996-2003: Maruti Zen

Last edited by navin : 29th May 2018 at 11:45.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 12:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Wagon-R F10D (2006 model) purchased in '13, sold off in approx 2 years- increased highway usage and comfort for 5 adults which is why I wanted a safer and a more spacious car. The Engine struggled with AC on the highways, especially the 2-laned highways. Loved the low end grunt and the boot space. Clocked around 25k Kms when we had it. Should have had retained it for city use but 2 Cars then wasn't feasible until 2016 when the need arose.

2007 Toyota Corolla purchased in '15- I am never getting tired of this one. In close to 2.5 years have already clocked around 45k Kms. Apart from
the slightly high fuel costs, everything is perfect.

2014 Tata Nano Twist XT Purchased in '16- will be sold soon. The Tata Service is horrible and my brother is done with his college commute so don't need a city specific car anymore. Might get a hatchback with safety features after the nano. Regret buying a Tata though, the package is good but quality and service are very poor. This car makes me regret selling my WagonR.

Dad had a Alto VX 1.1 back in 2003 till 2006 which was sold because we moved to Bahrain. In Bahrain, We had a '98 Tercel for 2 years. It was a good car but I hated it. It was sold off to be replaced with a '05 RAV4 in '09. This was a workhorse which was with use for over 140k Kms. Considering my dad's usage which was majorly on under construction roads & rocky Terrain it was smooth and tight even after crossing the 200k Kms mark. It was on Stock suspension. It was replaced with '06 CR-V in December '15 as a stop gap arrangement. The CR-V clocked around 80k Kms until last week when it was sold.

Apart from the Nano, all the car's were sold as and when the need arose.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 13:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

*LONG POST ALERT*

The first car in my family was a Tata Estate but the lesser I talk about it, the better. To put it mildly, it was a horrendous experience and I wish I could forget it.

The car I dreamt of buying and eventually bought in 2009 was a Suzuki Swift VDi. Yes, there goes my forum handle. Loved the car to bits and drove it pedal to the metal most of the time. 2 years later met with a serious accident on the highway that was purely due to the lack of ABS. Basically my wheels locked up and I rear ended a tipper lorry who 'brake tested' me. Had a harrowing experience getting the car back in shape and my love for the Swift left post that accident. I never looked at it the same way again although I loved Suzuki's reliability.

Well, that reliability factor played its bit and I upgraded to an Ertiga ZDi in 2012. I was one of the first ones to take delivery of one as the waiting times were crazy. A good 7 seater for the asking price but grossly underpowered in the diesel. The mistake was to book one without a test drive with all that waiting period frenzy which I sadly lived to regret later. The day I drove the car out of the showroom was the first time I drove the Ertiga and I was seriously shocked by its lack of grunt. Human nature is that when we make a mistake, sometimes it's hard to admit it was a mistake. I was basically convincing myself and everyone else that it's a great car but deep down I knew I was lying to myself. It was supremely comfortable, extremely reliable but just powerless. I learned to live with it until a trip to Munnar happened. The resort I was booked into was in a low down valley from the main road and the final road that leads to the resort is one straight stretch that's super steep. All the other cars (Jeep, Logan, Innova) at the resort went up that steep climb without much drama. Well, going down into the resort isn't the problem but coming back up was. On the day I was leaving, I sent my family in the resort's Jeep to the main road so that I could negotiate this climb myself. I reversed the Ertiga as far as possible to gain some momentum while climbing this steep bit. I revved the engine in 1st gear and literally dumped the clutch and half way through the climb, the engine started losing momentum in 1st gear! Then I instantly did a left-right switchback manoeuvre to gain some momentum and eventually cleared the gradient. A few more metres on, I don't think I would have made it. Well, anyway, I've had enough of the Ertiga by then. It had some great qualities to it but severely left me with a sour taste and I vowed never to buy a car from Suzuki until they plonk a bigger diesel. It served me very well and I had ZERO problems with it. Supremely reliable. I sold it because I had to fly abroad but boy was I happy to sell it.

The other MPV that I dreamt about buying was the Renault Lodgy. Bought the top end RXZ in 2015. Loved the engine and the 6 speed gearbox. Loved the looks too but such a nice car was poorly put together. This MPV is the best out there for the highway by a mile. Also, the cruise control is amazing. This is one MPV that I never got bored with but the problem was reliability. As documented elsewhere, I was riddled with problems on this one. Every few months meant a visit to the service centre and the problems continued to exist. Again, I never got bored with this one and sold it for 2 reasons: very unreliable and too cumbersome to drive in the city. If not for the former reason I would've still lived with it. I sold it for a loss because I sold it with the problems not being rectified. By the way, I still have a soft corner for the Lodgy just for its beautiful engine and 6 speed gearbox.

My current ride is a i20 diesel Asta (O) that I bought in 2017. The i20 is one car that I bought after extensive test drives of various hatchbacks. Been using this year for over a year now and still in love with it. Love the engine and the 6 speed gearbox combo. The Lodgy still holds the edge in highway performance but the i20 is up there. This car is a treat to drive in the city and I've completely forgotten what turbo lag is. This is one hatchback that doesn't like to be driven pedal to the metal. If you're a calm cruiser, you will enjoy its waves of torque and smooth power delivery. If you stomp on the accelerator, this car will protest and you won't like it. The interior quality still keeps me loving it and the NVH is another highlight. No niggles or issues whatsoever and it's supremely reliable. Extremely pleased with that. To spice things up, I have enabled Youtube to play on Android Auto and it's a treat to watch Youtube when waiting at long traffic lights. The upgrade hitch hasn't set in yet and even if it did I'm planning to stick with Hyundai or Kia for the next car for the following reasons: really love the quality of materials used inside and out (not a single rattle), the lag free nature of the diesels and the reliability factor.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 28th May 2018 at 14:01.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:30   #51
BHPian

We got a Maruti van back in 1991 and we used it till 2004 and roughly about 1 lakh kms. Purely sold because of rust and engine issues. And yes it was the most unsafe vehicle on the road but truly practical.

We purchased a bashed up Mahindra jeep mm540 dp in 1994. It was already disintegrating and I was too small to make a suggestion. The jeep was used to bits but it did spent most of its time in a garage. It was unreliable as hell. Broken steering rod, radiator leaks, fried wiring, broken chassis and many more. Later it was sold in 2001 for 80000/-

I learnt driving on the Omni as well as the jeep.

We got an indica diesel (new) in 2003 and all I got to select was the colour. And God knows why I selected the sunshine gold colour . After 2-3 years it started to fall apart and maintenance became a pain. It was purely sold in 2010 for the Figo because of lack of reliability and I was yet to get bored of it.

This was the time I got to know team bhp and read the newly launched figo's review for the first time.

Currently having both the Figo and aspire diesels and yet to get bored of them. The old gen Figo might be underpowered and less appealing in terms of design but it's fun to drive and immensely practical. Yet to see a hatch with such a nice boot. The aspire has its engine going for it. I find it's still the better package with respect to the competition.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 15:55   #52
BHPian

The first car I bought was a ’75 model Padmini, in ’93. After going through two complete overhauls and paint jobs over seven years I asked myself, why can’t I get me a brand new car, instead of visiting the FNG every alternate week?

So, just then Toyota came out with full-page ads for the Qualis and after a quick test ride, put down a cheque for the advance and drove home in my first new car a couple of months later. I never got bored of her in the fourteen years I enjoyed driving her, especially the tight turning circle she offered, which enabled me to go where no M800 would dare to go (or so I believed).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the kids grew up and flew away, the dog grew up and passed away and I thought, in a year’s time I’ll have to go through the hassle of the 15 year tax, shortage of genuine spares etc., so better to let her go while I can get a good deal for her. Her not so great fuel average, compared to the newer vehicles was also a contributing factor in my decision.

My only regret was not taking the family out on long trips, since they were all prone to car sickness beyond Mumbai-Pune, so sadly traded her in for my present Ford Classic. My heart still skips a beat when I see her often parked at King’s Circle, complete with the LCLC sticker which I forgot to remove during her emotional farewell.

I’m now enjoying the Classic, which is a blast when I’m alone, though a bit underpowered when carrying a full load. One of the things I like about her is that she shares the Qualis’ turning circle of 4.9m

Last edited by FarPatel : 28th May 2018 at 15:57.
FarPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Oh jeez this is going to be a long one. After umpteen standards and a fiat, our first modern car purchase was a Maruti Van aka Omni now, starting from there.

Maruti Van - The one in which i learned driving. 7 years of ownership and radials were the biggest upgrade it got. Got tired when the sedans of the day suddenly started pulling away from the loyal work horse.

Fiat 118 NE - 2nd hand. Loved the comfort and the slick gearbox, modified the front face to make it look like a twin headlight BMW lol. Got tired of the sticky carb and seeing second hand Maruti 1000's zooming around.

Maruti 1000 - 2nd hand. Lovely car but needed more power and a niggling AC sealed it's fate soon.

Zen and a lovely lemon yellow at that - Spanking new, took me through prime-time college life. IIRC had it for 5 plus years. Had a minor accident and made that an excuse to get the front grill and bumper 1/3 lined in the same lime yellow shade. Had the whole boot converted as one large boom box. The box could be opened to carry the nick nacks too lol Never really got bored with the zen, but iKON 1.6 Liter was too much of an itch, esp when big bro was enjoying a puny city 1.3 he he. Zen was taken over by my uncle who kept it for another 5 years.

iKON 1.6 - the ferrari of the cars owned in the family till then, served for 7 long years. After i relocated to BLR, car also relocated, after a brief idle period at hometown.

All these were purely funded by my father though primary driver / user was me and then started the self funded itch...

Gypsy 1 liter - 2nd hand. Got some fat radials and used to hop around BLR and surroundings, the constant clanking from front differential, the superb fuel efficiency and power got me bored.

Esteem 1.3 - 2nd hand. Lovely single owner car, used to take it for drags and had blast. Stock car smoking moded builds was fun. iKON by that time had come to BLR and one fine night esteem landed up sideways around a tree, thanks to bald tires that couldn't hold on. Repaired it and was asked to sell, oh and needed money to fund the drag bike lol.

iKON then became the primary car that got me a bride too.

Snowhite the Swift DDiS - spanking new, launch was keenly been followed and decided to let go the iKON with a heavy heart, call it 7 year itch or whatever. Coming back to swift, it was one of the most brilliant machines that kept the thrills from the iKON and fuel efficiency needs of those days intact, had upgraded the tyres to 195 width and a discrete ICE set up, was all it had as mods. Took me through many roads less traveled and never ever skipped a beat. Loved it and left a tear when she was finally driven out by the new owner.

DwArF the CJ3B - nth hand. the offroad keeda and a need to tinker ended up with buying a CJ3B. After a ton of money and good load of fun decided to sell it. Well it was not fast enough to do the cross country offroading needs. Used to drink a ton of petrol every 100 kms lol I would never call it boring.

Spidey the Gypsy - Fellow mod Khan was getting bored and planning to let go of Spidey and i needed an long range offroader and it was on EMI scheme lol Another fellow offroader took the CJB from me, making this the perfect deal. Rejuvenated spidey and even made it comfy with AC. But then i bought a bike!

Too many vehicles at home meant all my weekends were going behind them. Decided to consolidate Snowie and Spidey into Thaggu the Thar!

Thaggu the Thar - Second hand, known vehicle. Mint stock condition! blew quiet a bit upgrading it with offroad tyres and simple offroad bits. Tried making the soft top comfy with double layers and an audio set up from the swift. With remap this was a hoot to drive, but then fun offroading was becoming extinct and vehicle was lying unused. So decided to let it go to an enthusiastic youngster who is enjoying it now.

Mid life crisis continues and came in 2.4 Liter GV aka Tara - Have lifted it 2" and currently no plans of change, just like the all of the above vehicles i have owned
Jaggu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Swift ZXI : 8 years and counting, not bored of it at all! Exciting as it always was to drive, but the bone jarring ride.. Wish I could do something about it. These days I have to often ferry around someone with somewhat of a risky medical condition (if only to the hospital and back), and each bump and pothole makes its presence felt inside. Wish to keep it forever.

Honda Brio AT (facelift) : 1.5 years and family is already bored of its diminutive dimensions, call it buyer's remorse if you like. Otherwise no complaints at all, very handy to drive and easy on the servicing costs as well.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 19:04   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I owned the first gen swift for close to 7 years. Loved the power and handling and though there were rattles I could live with it. the car was not really fuel efficient.

Currently driving Ertiga for over 4.5 years and loving it !!
Good to note your decision of being with Maruti. Keen to know the mileage comparison between them.
tstlnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 20:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstlnt View Post
Good to note your decision of being with Maruti. Keen to know the mileage comparison between them.
Swift Petrol
Came with the 1.3L gem of an engine. I still miss that power(though I had to work the gears like those in Fast and furious movie). With 185section tires, the FE was bound to take a hit. I used to get anything between 10-11 kmpl in Bangalore city and 14-15 kmpl on highways(Ghat roads to Mangalore). Best i extracted was 18 kmpl with extremely light footed driving on flat roads between Bangalore-Chennai. If i am not wrong, the car had ARAI certified as 14.xx kmpl
Let me call it a Pre- Kitna deti hai engine
With my running exceeding 20-25K kms per year, I could not afford it any longer.

Ertiga Diesel.
My ownership review here
Car still runs like new. In last 4+ years i replaced the battery, Tyre(Yoko Earth1) and the gear synchronizer rings(under warranty) Clutch assembly too got changed at 80K.

Compared to Swift, this car is very frugal. I manage 14-15kmpl in city and 17-19kmpl on highways consistently. Also the engine is best suited for cruising on highways. which is why i plan to keep it for bit longer and booked a city only car AltoK10 couple of days ago. Having seen the reviews of Parag's Ertiga with close to 1.5L kms, i am confident i can easily maintain mine for another 2-3 years(currently 90K kms)
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 02:49   #57
BHPian

We have had a few cars over time and never really got bored of it (one or two exceptions):

2006-2014 Honda Civic 2.0 (in Bangkok): Truth be told. I am still not over this car. Selling it was a must due to certain unavoidable circumstances but I have a dream to buy it back (it was sold in known friend circle). And I think I can never be bored of this car. It was black and one good wash made me realize why I cannot be bored of this and how can one forget about the stunning interior? My very car has done now 1.15L kms (had sold had 98k kms) and I would not even think twice to buy it back if only I could.

2011-2014 Mahindra Xylo: Again sold due to unavoidable circumstances but I was starting to get bored of its highway performance (it was the MDi engine). It had done 76,000 kms when we sold it.

2011-2014 Hyundai i10 AT: Was the city run about and it did its job well but after relocation of family and stuff, it became the primary car (Innova got sold). It was a brilliant car although my car had lots of electrical issues. Still, it did the school run, grocery runs effortlessly. Yes, the low FE did start to bother us. And it made way for the Ertiga. Never bored of it. It had done 17,760 kms when we sold it.

2011-2014 Toyota Innova V 8 seater: This was the main lead car and the i10 was the sidekick. It was munching the miles effortlessly and the fuss free maintainence was also not a bother at all. It got sold due to some confusion in the family and we still regret it everyday. Again no boredom but just another bad decision that we had taken. It had done 47,000 kms in 3 years.

2011-2018 TATA Manza: Sold in January this year as we just got bored of the car. Period. It was just doing its job and no issues also existed. But just sheer need of something new meant it made way for something new. It did only 39,000 kms in 7 years.

2012-2017 Hyundai Santro CNG: This was the new daily run about in the house. It was the beater car. Scratches? No worries. Some rickshaw guy dented the bumper? Can't be bothered. It would be all fixed up once a year anyways. CNG meant running costs were hilariously low. Though towards the end, it felt that CNG had sucked the air out of the engine and it became a little slow and unreliable. And one fine day, it overheated in traffic. And then it was decided, it had to go. It did 142,000 kms in 5 years.

2014-Present Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi: The car has done its duties effortlessly. It has been a goods carrier. It has been an ambulance. It has been the car for dates. It has been used in every possible way and it has not disappointed. The car is standing at 122,000 kms in just under 4 years. But we are getting bored of it. It is a good car but starting to feel tired (I guess just a psychological thing) and the itch for an upgrade is slowly creeping in. Let's see what fate this car has.

2017-Present Honda Amaze SX iVTEC (CNG): This is our daily runabout and the new beater car. It was an apt upgrade for the Santro and now due to it having some safety options, we can take it out to highways as well. Currently, it is nonchalantly chugging the miles. It has done 19,000 kms in 8 months and counting.

2018- Present TATA Nexon XZ+ Diesel: This was the replacement for the Manza. This was a much needed fresh change in the garage. Also, with new car excitement, we are using this much more than the Manza and it has done 9,000 kms already in 5 months.

Out of all the cars we have owned, the Civic still tugs at the heart and I really want to own that car again. I will never be bored of it.
RoadGlide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 09:15   #58
Team-BHP Support

Ford Figo 1.4 - Got tired of it bottoming out/scraping everywhere. Else, there was nothing much to complain but I just couldn't stand my liberty being clipped because I couldn't take it to places I wanted to, had terrible practical GC. And that, I was driving more and more SUV's and wanted one as it is much more fatigue free to drive [for me].
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:03   #59
BHPian

Premier Padmini - Even though built like a tank, frequent problems with the dynamo (no alternator in this one) and extremely low mileage meant that it could not be used for longer travels. These were the primary reasons for dad (I was too young to make any decision in this matter) to get bored of it and sold it after keeping it for nearly 20 years.

Given a chance, I would buy it back and restore it back.
R4m4kr15hn4n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:35   #60
BHPian

Well, since I have owned just one car (self-financed) yet, these are the cars that my family own(ed):

Maruti 800 AC: Bought used in 2004. Too many issues came up within 3 years and also the car was very under-powered with the AC on. That said, I'm still very nostalgic about this little beauty as I learnt driving in this.

Alto K10 Vxi: Bought in 2012. Loads of power with similar dimensions coming from an 800. Some issues came up after it met with an accident in 2014. My daily drive and is still a hoot to drive. Will upgrade as soon as there are enough finances since it lacks safety of any sort.

Ignis Delta(P) MT: My only self financed car bought in 2017. Bought with my folks' requirements in mind and left with them at hometown. Relatively taller and a gem of an engine with compact dimensions, perfect for my Dad. Really a fun car barring the super light steering. Don't think we'll get bored of this any soon, not atleast till the time IC engines are road legal.
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks