Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 14:44   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: When did you grow tired of your car?

Fiat Palio - 2006 till present. This is 13 years old!
Fiat Punto - 2009 till present.
Hyundai Verna 1.6D AT - 2017 till present.

I guess I won't get bored with any car!

Last edited by clevermax : 25th July 2019 at 14:45.
Old 25th July 2019, 15:47   #122
BHPian

Somehow I have never came across this thread before, and now I see it just when I am in the doldrums of what to do with my 9 year old Fiat TJet.
My mind has been in a bit of a tizzy since we saw and test drove the Hector, which is firmly on our radar as our next buy.

The problem is that I am still far away from growing tired of our car. Our Fiat still performs near flawlessly and is immensely and amazingly enjoyable. Past couple of weekends I had the opportunity to drive her flat out on the ghats back from Lonavala and Pune on two separate occasions, and I had a wide satisfied smirk plastered on my face throughout . The car still looks like a million bucks and though interiors are dated, they have held up very well. Coupled with the fact that the re-sale value is likely to be abysmal, means I should logically keep it. However, being the sole driver in the family, I dont want to keep and maintain two cars. But a growing family means that we need more space and a more contemporary car (bluetooth streaming, aux port, easily accessible usb port, working radio etc).
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 13:49   #123
BHPian

Premier Padmini Deluxe BE (85) - Bought in 1990; Sold in 2003 - My dad bought home this beauty in 1990. I learnt to drive on this very car with dad playing coach. The Padmini served us well for over a decade before we began to think of a replacement, thanks to rusting and frequent battery problems. A very special car for us nevertheless, not only because I learnt to drive in that, but because we had really special family moments associated with it.

Maruti Suzuki 800 (91) - Bought in 2003; Sold in 2014 - This was an uncle's car that dad bought after they decided to get the then sensation from Hyundai, the Santro. I've lost count of how many people in the family have learnt to drive in this humble Maruti. Apart from being significantly easier to drive than the Padmini, the 800 was my first highway car as well. It served us for a whopping 23 years, before we bartered it for a Ritz for a relative.

Maruti Esteem Vxi (06) - Bought in 2006; Sold in 2015 - This was the first car with my name as the owner. IMHO, the Esteem should have actually been called 'Relia' for it's outstanding reliability. I have not had a single niggle in the 9 years this car was in my stable. A pleasure to drive both within the city and on highways, low seating fatigue and lack of essential new age safety and conveniences pushed me to consider an upgrade.

Suzuki S-Cross Zeta (2015) - Bought in 2015 - still own - Years of hoping and waiting for the VW Golf to launch in India led me look at alternatives. After tens of GBs of research and hundreds of KMs of test drives, the S-Cross was nothing short of love-on-first-drive. In hindsight, the S-Cross has been a absolute sheer pleasure to own and drive, sans well known MJD problems. If the S-cross were to be offered with the 1.4 Boosterjet in an auto variant, I'll happily consider switching.

Honda Brio VX AT (2015) - Bought in 2018 - still own - We were looking for a small AT for my wife to put her newfound interest in getting behind the wheels, after a decade of having a license, to good use. After TDing the Grand i10, Ignis and the Micra, we came across an offer for the little Brio from an acquaintance who was relocating. While I get to lay my hands on the Brio only during weekends, I eagerly look forward to jumping into the driver's seat at the first opportunity. It potters around town in great enthusiasm and takes on the highways with elan. Tired?! Not the slightest bit!
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:18   #124
BHPian

Car: Hyundai I20 (2010-18)
Kilometers run : 130000
Car had a gem of an engine but the amount of niggles
Had to get the entire transmission changed at 30k km and that's where all the trouble started. Loved the build quality and features but the amount of money spent on repairing the constant niggles was crazy to say the least.
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:44   #125
BHPian

Not the car but bored of driving

This pandemic has been really terrible. Initially got me excited as I would work from home, watch those missed sitcoms, wax/polish the car myself, read novels and so forth. Now post more than a year, both my cars are mostly parked. Take one of them out once in 10 days for grocery shopping.
Living in Mumbai where the cases are on high and police everywhere, I have been staying home for most of the last 3 months. My wife started learning to drive and she had few events. Last week my car came back post all the denting & painting (covered under insurance)
Now I really don't feel excited to go for a drive like before (more so because I don't have much valid reasons to be on the road and also to keep myself and family safe)
Eagerly waiting for this phase to pass by, and my frequent joy drives to Pune & Goa resumes

Last edited by VWAllstar : 22nd May 2021 at 22:45.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 01:44   #126
BHPian

2011 Toyota Innova 2.5 VX- Dad's daily ride and it's mostly chauffeur-driven but rarely driven by myself and dad whenever the driver is on the leave! Bought pre-owned in 2016 when the odo was just 75000 Kms and is mainly used on highways when people are more than 4! Might sell it off this year after the entire situation becomes normal as we got bored with it due to being cumbersome to drive in city traffic (yes, I hate driving this car in city traffic) and low FE (giving less than 10 Kmpl even if we drive sedately)! We might replace it with a Diesel AT crossover, i.e, Creta or Seltos Diesel AT as we don't need a 7 seater car anymore but still, few people are insisting us to get an Innova Crysta as it is a true upgrade from our Innova, which I'm not interested in making my dad get this one due to some unavoidable reasons! Instead of purchasing the Innova Crysta, will go for Jeep Compass and till date, this car has run close to 1,80,000 Kms and we haven't faced any mechanical issues yet but had met with a couple of accidents in the year 2020!

2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT- Mine and mom's daily ride! This was again bought pre-owned in 2017 when the odo was 35000 Kms and is mainly driven in city traffic along with occasional highway drives when people are less than 4! This car is used more as a beater as well and this car has run close to 1,10,000 Kms till date with few issues like ABS warning light, hard power steering though not as hard as our Innova! But, this car is a joy to drive in city traffic and I prefer driving this every day over our Innova and gives an FE of 16.5-18 Kmpl in city traffic and 21-22 Kmpl on highways, depending on the driving style and cheaper to maintain as well! As of now, I'm getting bored with this car as it is a Manual transmission car and with the ever-increasing traffic and reduction of usage in few months (yes, this car might see less running in few months as we are shifting to our newly constructed house and mom's office commute will be reduced to 10-12 Kms per day from 25 Kms per day) and me planning to move abroad for higher studies by this year end, the Honda City will be replaced by a Petrol AT like Rapid TSI AT or City CVT or a Thar Diesel AT if I'm lucky enough, but yet to find a perfect replacement for this car as this car has spoilt me in terms of rear-seat comfort and FE!

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 23rd May 2021 at 01:47.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

I have changed a lot of cars in the last 17 years. Not proud of it but it just happened. Given a choice and a huge bank balance, I wouldnt have sold any of them. Have been happy with all the choices except the Ikon 1.6 but I guess it was that particular car.
Every car has its pros and cons, no car is perfect. My idea is to have a taste of all the pros. Also getting the car done up to showroom condition, when bought used, if also a different satisfaction and a great use of my time.
However at this point, both the cars I have at the moment, I don't think has any replacement in the market in that price range when it comes to driving pleasure, comfort and capabilities. I don't see them getting replaced any time soon.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks