Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 12:24   #16

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 CVT launched at Rs. 7.04 lakh

This is seriously a little late. And what's with Hyundai not giving an option for the actual top variants with automatic transmission? Exactly a year ago I was in the market for top end automatic. The GT TSI was of course the best car to drive, but skimmed out on space, the Jazz V AT felt too skimpy on features. I ended up buy a manual transmission Asta (O).

I soon realized it was a mistake and have been looking for an upgrade to automatic transmission.

No way in a thousand years would I get an Asta automatic and let go of my Asta (O). And trust me there are buyers willing to spend upwards of 10 lakhs for a fully loaded automatic hatchback. This strategy of skimping out on features in the automatic variant is downright stupid and it only helping the sales of the direct rivals, Jazz VAT, Baleno Alpha CVT and the GT TSi to a certain extent.

Hyundai needs to realize there are two kinds of buyers for automatic transmission-

1. The one looking for only convenience- They go for cheaper automatics like the Celerio AMT, Tiago AMT and the works.

2. The one looking for certain luxury and convenience- These are the guys who will spend upwards of 10 lakhs for a hatchback. For these buyers, you have to create a distinctive offering. They are not looking for VFM cars, they want smaller cars with all conveniences and features.

TL;DR- Learn to segment customers properly HMIL!
karan10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

2018 Hyundai i20 CVT Asta review by MotorOctane

Old 29th May 2018, 10:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

2018 Hyundai i20 CVT review, test drive - ACI

Hyundai’s premium hatchback now gets the convenience of an automatic transmission.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev..._medium=Social
RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 18:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan10 View Post

2. The one looking for certain luxury and convenience- These are the guys who will spend upwards of 10 lakhs for a hatchback. For these buyers, you have to create a distinctive offering. They are not looking for VFM cars, they want smaller cars with all conveniences and features.

TL;DR- Learn to segment customers properly HMIL!
I agree with you.
The prime reason why I didn't buy a Creta in 2015. It was disappointing as I wanted to get the top-end AT, but for some reason, Hyundai keeps this as a strategy. Later they launched another edition with more features, But by that time I ended up with Endy.

I wish to visit the showroom after they launch a top end variant with AT.
Old 29th May 2018, 20:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks to Maruti Suzuki (read Baleno, new Swift) Hyundai finally brings an automatic to the i20 that will bring them realistic volumes than their 1.4 with 4-speed torque converter and its outrageous pricing.

The Asta CVT is 9.38L on road in Madras, might be higher in Bangalore. I think they didn't want the launch variants to cross 10L OTR.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone test drive the car yet? Does the CVT drive better than the manual just like in Jazz?

I wish these manufacturers stop treating something as basic as rear washer/wiper like a luxury feature. While its great to see that ABS and dual airbags have almost become standard feature in all variants , but sad to see the rear washer/wiper vanish from all variants except top ones. And its not even an easy after-market fit like ICE/parking-sensors
Old 30th August 2018, 12:42   #22
BHPian

It would be mighty helpful for prospective buyers if the i20 cvt is officially reviewed. Is it happening anytime soon?
rahul_9327 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 20:16   #23
BHPian

I couldnt find any review of the CVT variant on our forum. Is there any BHPian who has bought thr i20 CVT. Most youtube reviews do point to the sluggishness of th CVT motor as compared to the baleno and the Jazz, but I somehow the like the overall fit and finish of the i20 compared to the other two, hence the need for a solid unbiased firsthand review. Any leads would be appreciated
Old 16th December 2018, 23:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to buy an automatic hatchback. After ruling out the rest, it boiled down to the Jazz and i20. While Jazz was appealing in terms of space, I found i20 to be better overall. What I liked in i20 CVT over Jazz CVT are:
  • Better build quality (Jazz feels bit flimsy)
  • Better driver ergonomics (found the dashboard to be too high set in Jazz)
  • Steering feels much better (it is light and responsive. Jazz steering feels tight when you have to move from the 'straight ahead position', something I had experienced even in earlier Hondas (cities))
  • Better low speed ride
  • Cheaper by 60-70 K.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 15:42   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am looking to buy an automatic hatchback. After ruling out the rest, it boiled down to the Jazz and i20. While Jazz was appealing in terms of space, I found i20 to be better overall. What I liked in i20 CVT over Jazz CVT are:
I was also deciding between Jazz VX variant and i20 Elite. But i ended up with i20 because of the following reasons:
1. Jazz never became a hit in Indian market. I personally won't buy a car which doesn't sell well in the market. No matter how good it is.
2. i20 "feels" like a tighter and stronger car.
3. i20 is much easier on pocket in terms on maintenance, service and specially spared.
4. i20 has a solid performance record.

Although, i didn't go for the Asta model in i20, i feel you should go for it and drop the Jazz altogether.
Also, the Jazz is available at a discount of more than 1L INR here in Jodhpur due to it being in the company's yard(2018 inventory and all).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th April 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd December 2018, 12:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy an automatic hatchback. After ruling out the rest, it boiled down to the Jazz and i20. While Jazz was appealing in terms of space, I found i20 to be better overall. What I liked in i20 CVT over Jazz CVT are:......
If you have finalized i20 auto, this calls for an ownership review for sure For some reason, I have not seen an i20 automatic being in the comparo list for prospective buyers and I believe that to be marketing failure of Hyundai. Lack of information and ownership reviews about this car also add to the overall cause of lesser appeal at the moment. So your review will be of immense value to the forum.

I am sitting on the fence for picking an automatic but it's just that the existing combinations being offered in the market makes me feel compromised even after doling out a reasonable amount of hard earned money.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th April 2019 at 09:57. Reason: Trimmed quoted post. Formatting
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:18   #27
BHPian

Going for i20 cvt over dzire amt/baleno cvt, reasons being:
1)Amt is jerky and Maruti's build left a lot to be dzired
2)i20 felt plush. Yes i dont know why we wont get an asta o, yet its still more vfm than suzuki due to the build quality alone. I will pine for that headlamp and a wiper at the rear though.
3)Found it much comfortable to drive than amt's/baleno cvt. Not being a pro the steering feedback and throttle response made me more confident. Also uphill climb in auto mode was even better than the dzire amt for the test drives i got.
But yes i20 has a pronounced rubber band effect. In fact i felt it here, and not in the baleno.
4)Didn't consider amaze/jazz due to after sales coverage of honda compared to hyundai/suzuki

Last edited by AppyS : 23rd December 2018 at 20:20.
Old 17th January 2019, 12:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyS View Post
Going for i20 cvt over dzire amt/baleno cvt, 4)
Quote:
... After ruling out the rest, it boiled down to the Jazz and i20. While Jazz was appealing in terms of space, I found i20 to be better overall...[/list]
Did you guys finally book it? Any timeline for delivery?

I feel this(Elite i20 CVT) is the least discussed car on entire forum. With traffic conditions getting worse by the day , automatics have become super popular now in tier-1 cities atleast and i20 being one of the popular premium hatches, I expected this to be discussed way more. Clearly I was wrong

@Mods : Can we expect a review on the i20 CVT?
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 12:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Did you guys finally book it? Any timeline for delivery?
Yes I did. I have been very busy and could not spare time to start a thread yet.
I booked it in December and got all the year end benefits, but took the delivery in January 1st week.
I opted for Asta. Now the CVT is offered on Asta (O) which comes with all the bells and whistles (such as push button start, 6 airbags, center armrest for rear seats and adjustable headrest for the rear seat)
Overall impression is, it is a great city car which is very easy to drive and has impressive build quality. Two areas I found to be not so nice are the 'featherlight steering' and the 'somewhat bumpy rear suspension'(apart from the 'rubber band' effect which we all know about).

Last edited by Guna : 17th January 2019 at 13:03.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 10:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Now the CVT is offered on Asta (O) which comes with all the bells and whistles (such as push button start, 6 airbags, center armrest for rear seats and adjustable headrest for the rear seat)
Thanks for this update. Are you sure about this Asta (O) CVT? Hyundai website still shows CVT only till Asta. Could you confirm the news source.

[Edit]: With a bit of search found that this is true and Hyundai has done this for 2019 i20s. Thanks.

Last edited by simonkayar : 18th January 2019 at 10:58. Reason: Found the answers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks