Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 07:34   #46
M35
BHPian

Re: Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!

This is the one from Ford Everest China. It's in there unsurprisingly !

Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!-500_wkghh1r2xjsaoovnaao5j2ye8hm922.jpg
M35 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:24   #47
BHPian

Re: Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!

I don't know about The Philippines (which may or may not have a similar use case as Australia given their American colonial past), but usage of SUVs in China seems to be very much along the lines of their usage in India.
Status. High driving position. Driven in cramped cities.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/id/100644908

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/a...81Q08O20120227

Could anyone shed any light on Chinese towing habits? I would be willing to bet there isn't be much towing going on there.
At any rate, it certainly seems like Ford didn't omit this structural component after evaluating the average regional consumer's usage.

Last edited by Mu009 : 31st May 2018 at 08:39. Reason: Corrections
Mu009 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Every automobile company has this team who makes ownership and workshop manuals. They are given the last released part number(vehicle integration number in this case) which they open in CAD viewers and take snapshots from required angle. Its a donkey job. Most probably someone here messed up BIG time in copying from wrong assembly number and then approving the final release. Imagine this happening in developed countries
As someone who works in a CAD company making the viewers used, I can assure you manual making is not a complete donkey job.
It does takes a certain amount of skill to make technical manuals. In the current case I don't think it was screwup by anyone. In a low volume market like India (for expensive cars), it does not make financial sense to customize the manual. Hence a standard manual is used with all the disclaimers!

For the missing components, I can 100% guarantee, it was cost-cutting.
Rs. 5000 does not seem much for a 30lakh car but this is how margins are built. 5k for the bars, 2k for switch gear, 5k for harness and so on finally adds upto a lakh
timuseravan is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
.At any rate, it certainly seems like Ford didn't omit this structural component after evaluating the average regional consumer's case.
Looks like the only use case they evaluated was "Will we be able to get away with it?". Now that the answer seems to be no, I guess the hunt for spin doctors must have started in right earnest, to put out some meaningless corporate spiel about adhering to the relevant safety, emission etc. criteria, how this would have no impact on the user experience, we remain committed to the Indian market, yada, yada, yada (as Elaine would have very eloquently and succinctly put it).

I sincerely hope the OP has the time, patience and resources to take this to a conclusion in his favour.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 31st May 2018 at 09:06.
comfortablynumb is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 08:51   #50
BHPian

I think we are all jumping the gun here.
All the user manuals (Australian, Philippines and Thai - I couldnt get my hands on the Chinese version) give guidance on towing a trailer and the precautions to be taken. The manual for the Endeavour only mentions towing in case of a break down or towing another broken down vehicle. There is no mention of towing a trailer.

The Endeavour manual also has a drawing of the left hand drive dashboard lay out and also that of the analog instrument cluster. Going by the tone of this thread, people should also be complaining that the steering wheel is wrongly fitted on the right side since a picture in the manual shows the wheel on the left side.

There are enough disclaimers in the manual to make it clear that what is shown in the manual may not always apply to your particular model.

Until a chassis expert, or a person with an in depth knowledge of why the Everest has the so called additional members can give an explanation, I would give Ford the benefit of doubt. Infact, I seriously doubt Ford is in any way legally obliged (or they would even entertain) to give an explanation as to why the K struss is missing in the Endeavour as the vehicle is approved by ARAI, and sold in the market after lakhs of kilometers of testing under "Indian" conditions.

I find this amusing - that even senior members here are letting their emotions run high and jumping to conclusions, without any serious evidence, that the safety of the Endeavour is compromised due to the missing members.

Last edited by SCORPION : 31st May 2018 at 08:56.
SCORPION is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I find this amusing - that even senior members here are letting their emotions run high and jumping to conclusions, without any serious evidence, that the safety of the Endeavour is compromised due to the missing members.
Noone is claiming that safety is compromised or even that Ford has any legal/moral/ethical obligations. But to pretend that this is not cost cutting is just naive. Companies, especially large ones, exists for the sole reason of increasing profits and value for their shareholders. Any opportunity to increase profits will be taken.
timuseravan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
None of these "use cases" need a SUV with off road capability. Much less a K truss.
You have quoted me entirely out of context, and have thereby grossly misrepresented my post (misinterpretation only, I'm sure).

Please refer to it again in the context of certain points made in this debate.

Last edited by Mu009 : 31st May 2018 at 09:41. Reason: Semantics
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:37   #53
BHPian

Ford has definitely lost a lot of respect here. Apart from current models across different markets, Ford's current gen vehicles in India as compared to previous generations, has definitely lost its robust feel, dynamics, steering feel, etc. The current Figo (I own one) has a poor steering, poor dynamics, tinny sheet metal, as compared to earlier Figo.

Back to the Endeavour, these bracings will definitely reduce torsional stiffness of the chassis. Come to think of it, India actually needs these more due to our poor roads. I can understand cost cutting in features, creature comforts, some claddings here and there, but structural changes are regrettable. But then, most of the manufacturers do it (Suzuki, Hyundai). The question is whether to do it in such an expensive car, which sells only in 100s. What are they really saving here?
wantarangerover is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know the Chassis of a vehicle used for Pushing needs a K truss and not a vehicle that tows.
During towing the load will always remain where the towing apparatus is installed, ie tow hook or fifth wheel. In a pushing vehicle the load can shift from side to side, and this can deform the chassis.
I don't think any SUV in India has provision for pushing. Even along heavy trucks used for ODC Cargo, the older Leyland Hippo, and Volvo FH12 were the only tractors capable of pushing as well as pulling. Even the other regular tractors do not have K trusses.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 10:27   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Ford Endeavour Owner's Manual says this on the very first page: (pic attached)
Those who are happy with the disclaimers probably don't even complain when the valet driver bangs their car (due to the disclaimer on the parking token) or when their flights are cancelled (due to the disclaimer provided when booking their tickets). Well, to each his own.

However, we have discussed the disclaimers enough, so let's not waste any more posts on that.

Back to the topic, even the Endeavour in Philippines & China gets it . Ford India's behaviour is classic "penny wise, pound foolish". My mind only wonders about what else is missing in the car that we don't know of. Love the Endeavour, but it's lost a bit of respect in my eyes.

Remove a feature or two and we won't complain like this. But a chassis component!!!

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2018 at 10:28.
GTO is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:16   #56
Team-BHP Support

We own a 3.2 Endy and this is NOT a very comforting news at all as an owner. The part seems to help with torsional rigidity, which is needed to combat chassis twist. As someone rightly mentioned, this might be essential for heavy towing and extreme low ratio offroad.

Funny thing is after the last service i was just playing with the low range ratio (just to ensure it gets some working and lube) inside our drive way. One thing i noticed was when the low range is engaged in Rock mode, the car really does flex a bit. Never noticed it in any of the vehicles i have used before. Wonder if the additional members on the chassis would help reduce this.

Need to check it out in detail, maybe this weekend.
Jaggu is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Back to the topic, even the Endeavour in Philippines & China gets it . Ford India's behaviour is classic "penny wise, pound foolish". My mind only wonders about what else is missing in the car that we don't know of. Love the Endeavour, but it's lost a bit of respect in my eyes.

Remove a feature or two and we won't complain like this. But a chassis component!!!
But if features were removed people would have caught it during the launch and lambasted Ford for cost cutting and treating Indian's to substandard trims. But this no one knew until A.G made a video showing the underbody and posted it on youtube and someone pointed it out. It has been 3 years since the launch and no one knew until now.

Rush, I always wanted to say this; Please include a photo of the underbody of the vehicle being tested in the test drive report. There are few like me who would appreciate such a photo, for me what is under is also as important as the paint job on top. I restrained from making that suggestion since not many would appreciate it. But in this new light I am certain that a few more would love to see what is under before purchase decisions are made.

Coming to the k member, Ford's market feedback/research probably showed where they can compromise to save some $$ since vehicles in this segment is hardly put to its intended use in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wonder if the additional members on the chassis would help reduce this.
Yes, of course. Function of this K (at the front part of the chassis) or half X is to reduce chassis flex.

Apart from the now obvious missing K, I think these small brackets (encircled in imgae) that join the part of the ladder (where K joins) to the body mounts are also missing. A clearer photo can reveal it if it is there or not.
Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!-endeavour_my17-1.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 31st May 2018 at 11:43.
Sankar is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here is another related (Ford Ecosport) posts by FrodoOfTheShire

Quote:
Recent buyers have reported on Facebook that the Storage drawer is no longer available even in Titanium+. When I called up the Ford customer care, at first they said that the storage drawer was never provided in the facelifted EcoSport. When I mailed them back with link and pictures from this review, they called back saying that its available but only in Titanium+. Shows how knowledgeable and trustworthy they are!

But multiple buyers who got their cars in March have reported it missing from their cars and also from other Titanium+ in the stockyards. Dealerships are saying that it has been discontinued from March and some other customer care executives have also confirmed this.
Quote:
Apparently, the front seats fore and aft adjustment knob in Titanium+ has been replaced by the metal lever as found in the lower variants.

So after 2 price hikes, buyers are now getting less by paying more along with the tensions of the tyre issues!
Latheesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:49   #59
BHPian

You don't get every feature mentioned in the manual. Else I can buy a LXi and sue Maruti of not providing me airbags since the manual mentions it.

Does anybody know for sure what those truss rods are for and what one misses without it? And did Ford promise that 'feature' when they sold us the car? Unless removal of this component compromised structural integrity or safety I do not see the point in complaining.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 11:59   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Those who are happy with the disclaimers probably don't even complain when the valet driver bangs their car (due to the disclaimer on the parking token) or when their flights are cancelled (due to the disclaimer provided when booking their tickets).
Couldn't have put it better...!!!

Quote:
My mind only wonders about what else is missing in the car that we don't know of. Love the Endeavour, but it's lost a bit of respect in my eyes.
Precisely. In a day and age when OEMs reduce airbag sizes to save money at the cost of lives, and now with chassis members; , there's no telling what else could be at stake.

Having said that, other media platforms are now picking this up.

https://www.rushlane.com/ford-india-...-12270810.html

Hope this gets the right bells at Ford ringing and they respond responsibly.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks