Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2018, 13:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Uber willing to share its data with policy makers

Came across an interesting article:

This is of course, predominantly self-serving for Uber as it gives them immense information about traffic and travel patterns and helps them manage their fleet better. But.

If used well, this can do much good to traffic management and planning in our metros. From tuning traffic signals to allow a better flow, to managing road closures due to construction to allowing for efficient movement during emergencies.

Hope bureaucracy and technology come together to make our world better!

Quote:
Uber today announced insights from its proprietary platform, Movement, as part of the country’s single largest comprehensive data-sharing exercise on traffic patterns to improve urban mobility in the cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Hyderabad.

Movement offers anonymized, aggregated Uber data to show travel conditions across different times, days or months, and how travel times are impacted by things like big events and road closures in a city. Movement can help urban planners, local leaders, and civic communities make informed decisions. Inaugurating the Delhi leg of this multi-city initiative, insights from Delhi specific traffic problems were showcased in the presence of Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (Independent Charge) Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
http://bwsmartcities.businessworld.i...5-2018-150430/
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 20:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Uber willing to share its data with policy makers

Data gathered from Uber rides in the millions, across several cities worldwide including Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Delhi. The aim is apparently to help urban planning.

https://movement.uber.com/?lang=hi-IN

The charts generated are pretty cool, showing at least average travel times and traffic density that I can see. Need to dig deeper on what more data is available.

Ward by Ward comparison too.

So such decisions are possible - https://medium.com/@JohanElam/quick-...t-8e0443887ac7 (where to live so you get a reasonable airport commute) etc

More - https://medium.com/uber-movement/latest
Attached Thumbnails
Uber willing to share its data with policy makers-screenshot-20181009-8.28.05-pm.png  

Last edited by hserus : 9th October 2018 at 20:38.
hserus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Uber willing to share its data with policy makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Data gathered from Uber rides in the millions, across several cities worldwide including Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Delhi. The aim is apparently to help urban planning.
Thanks for sharing hserus! Great initiative, but I find the numbers grossly incorrect. I may be wrong here or interpreting data incorrectly, but there certainly something off here. Could other members take before and after times of their commutes, say over a 6 month period and compare the actual time taken with the numbers? I'm sure Delhi and Bangalore BHPians would have interesting observations. That said, this data would prove valuable as a whole to city planners, bus and other transport bodies, offices (to stagger shift timings), schools and so on.

Consider my office commute in the morning:
Uber willing to share its data with policy makers-screenshot-20181011-10.34.30-am.png

Uber tells over a 6 month period, the commute time has gone down, but in reality, it now takes me at least 15-20 mins more than before:
Uber willing to share its data with policy makers-screenshot-20181011-10.34.38-am.png

Monsoon period numbers vs latest ones. These to seem a bit off, but still in line with my observations:
Uber willing to share its data with policy makers-screenshot-20181011-10.29.23-am.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2018 at 17:15. Reason: Small typo
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Google maps would also have a sizeable data on the traffic conditions - does the Google map show anything different compared with Uber?
Old 11th October 2018, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks for sharing hserus! Great initiative, but I find the numbers grossly incorrect. I may be wrong here or interpreting data incorrectly, but there certainly something off here. Could other members take before and after times of their commutes, say over a 6 month period and compare the actual time taken with the numbers? I
Note there's a range of almost 40 minutes for that commute - so you can easily have your commute take almost twice as long as it did and still be within these parameters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks