Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2018, 18:48   #16
BHPian

Re: May 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Trend of SUV crazy country! Here are the numbers for MAY-2018.

Sub-4 meter SUV's

Brezza = 15629
Ecosport = 5003
Nexon = 4308
WR-V = 1962
TUV-300 = 1939

Compact SUV's

Creta = 11004
Compass = 1518
Duster = 1046

Full size SUV's

XUV = 2770
HEXA = 814

Premium SUV's

Fortuner = 1902
Endeavour = 351

Need to see how these numbers shape up when TATA launches most awaited SUV's = H5X & H7X

NOTE:

-> Not considered Captur & Terrano since they are hardy selling. Kind of dead products.
-> Not considered classic products like Scorpio & Safari.
RAHS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 19:01   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers Aditya.
Few observations

1) Redigo is consistently selling 2K. While that is not great, there is no reduction is numbers when you compare to its first cousin Kwid.
2) Looks like Ford is bringing refreshed Figo and Aspire. Their last try I guess to get some decent numbers.
3) Contrary to what people think, in its glory days, Amaze has done numbers upwards up to 13K. Agreed it's ages back but still. Good to see the confidence Honda has on this. But this definitely has pulled dispatches of other cars in the company.
4) Except for Creta, every car dispatch of Hyundai has gone down but negligible in numbers to probe upon.
5) Compass numbers down to 1.5K. Not surprising, with extremely negative word out of mouth, even outside TBHP. Do your work properly guys.
6) Too early to see impact of Refreshed XUV500. One thing is certain, Mahindra are facing tough times with it's immediate competitor in it's neck.
7) Most surprising in the MSIL line-up S-Cross with its highest dispatch since the refresh. This without an automatic and no petrol. A little chrome is all that takes to get noticed huh!
8) Kwid consistent in the 5K range. Even company seems to be ok with it. Absolutely no buzz around it. Captur yet to Capture Indian hearts.
9) Most interesting company in the line-up right now is TATA. They are on Roll. My only bone to pick up with TATA is that there is no roadmap for Sumo and Safari. They are dying a very slow and tragic death which being legends they absolutely don't deserve.
10) Rounding off with Toyota. Too early to say but Yaris on solid footing. With just petrol in action now, that's a really respectful numbers. With more than 50% of them in top end and CVT's, dealers are as usual running all the way to banks.
RaghuVis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 07:50   #18
BHPian

Ticking off the new kids on the block.
  • All new Amaze, hands down the most eye catching car at the moment. Diesel CVT has done the trick? Whatever it is, Honda has pulled a gem out of the hat.
  • Yaris on the other hand looks like a slow starter. A segment above - fair and I am sure the numbers will be up soon. Toyota deserves it, just for making 7 airbags a standard offering. A great initiative.
Nitpicking
  • Surprised to see Nexon's sales have actually decreased despite AMT launch. Should I take it with a bucket of salt? Next months figures will show a truer picture I believe.
  • Looks like AMT on Brezza was just what the doctor ordered (in Ravi Shastri's tone ). Try to catch me, says Brezza like a BOSS.
  • The facelift has provided a fillip to the sales of Creta. Criticism for absence of a top end AT notwithstanding.
  • Is Freestyle the second son after Ecosport that Ford has been waiting for so long, cannibalising the Figo on its way?
  • XUV facelift is a proof of "well priced" product.
  • Innova is timeless. So is Omni.

Last edited by strawhat : 8th June 2018 at 07:52.
strawhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 09:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Creta, Ecosport and Nexon are consistent performers from last many months. That's the reason every car maker wants a share of the C2 segment.

What could be the reason behind the sudden surge in the Brezza's numbers? The launch of AGS or dispatch of demo cars to dealers?

Ford Freestyle looks like a death punch on the face of Figo & Aspire.

Honda Amaze is the car of the month. It stole the show and why not, new Amaze is one of the best-looking compact sedans In India.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2018 at 11:44. Reason: Poor language & grammar
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2018, 11:06   #20
BHPian

Noob Question: Are these cars delivered, booked, paid for or acquired by dealers?
Old 8th June 2018, 11:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
Noob Question: Are these cars delivered, booked, paid for or acquired by dealers?

These I believe are wholesale figures i.e. vehicles getting billed from the manufacturer to the dealer.
NeedaUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 11:51   #22
BHPian

Few observations:

1. Creta continues delivering the goods for Hyundai. What impressive figures!! Probably the highest in last 6-7 months. No doubt, it's the best in business when it comes to compact SUVs.
2. Compass seems to be going downhill gradually. Can't fathom the reason. Is it the initial euphoria waning or is it the bad word of mouth w.r.t. the ASS.
3. Brezza is on a roll. What a growth! Urban India seems to be completely in love with this sub 4M SUV. Would be interesting to know the numbers in rural market.
4. Amaze facelift has done wonders for Honda. In fact, the only saving grace with City, Jazz, WRV, BRV all going down.
5. Fortuner is clocking way more numbers than all the other D2 cars combined. Where is Endy heading?
6. Hexa seems to have gone in to oblivion. It was never a match for XUV, to be honest. Though it offers a better ride, the look sucks. Tata seems to be content with the 800-odd numbers. And look how XUV has regained the numbers. Nexon, Tiago and Tigor have been impressive though.
7. Freestyle and the Ecosport facelift delivering some decent numbers for Ford.
8. Maruti continues to leave a big grin on my face each time I see the figures. So many cars in its stable and almost all of them are delivering good numbers. There's still a great pride associated with the brand. India loves its Marutis.
9. Present gen Duster seems to be down and dusted. Renault had also launched a car named Captur. What happened to that?
prince0407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 12:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
These numbers are the factory dispatches from manufacturers to their dealers across the country in the month of May.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 12:22   #24
BHPian

Seeing the utter domination of market by Maruti-Suzuki makes me wonder how the automotive scene will be 10 years down the line. It won't be a surprise if many manufacturers decide to just leave the market. In fact, those who stay would probably stick with the tried and tested formula and won't worry about innovation or global products.

Take S-cross for example. I am a big fan of the car and totally liked it for its practicality. I test-drove it and was floored by quality and thoughtfulness of design. However, that was for 1.6L variant. With that gone now, I simply cannot get my head around the fact that a car with cheapest variant costing 10+ lakh, comes with 1.3L engine and 5-speed gearbox with no automatic option, just two airbags and yet sells close to 5,000 units a month. And then there are cars offering safety, performance, style, value for money but not even able to make a dent.

While Maruti-Suzuki deserves all the praise for capturing the imagination of Indian masses, I don't see bright future for enthusiasts and those who want to own world-class cars in India.
ksameer1234 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 12:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince0407 View Post
Few observations:

4. Amaze facelift has done wonders for Honda. In fact, the only saving grace with City, Jazz, WRV, BRV all going down.
I will not read too much into Honda's numbers. This is a trend that is seen with all new Honda launches. They prioritise production and dispatches of new models over old ones. This helps them keep the waiting period low of these new cars and also keep the demand up for older models. In this case, Amaze has taken over the dispatches/ production of all other models and hence the big dip for all the others. It is also important to remember that Honda does not have a very high production capacity in India like Maruti or Hyundai, and if you look at their sales history since 2014, you will notice that they prefer to operate at 65-70% of their capacity. Going by that, Amaze will continue to be in top 20 for the next 2-3 months (with other cars being low) and then slowly settle at around 3.5-4k per month in 6 months as with all Honda models.
feluda86 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 12:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

While Maruti-Suzuki deserves all the praise for capturing the imagination of Indian masses, I don't see bright future for enthusiasts and those who want to own world-class cars in India.
I simply agree with you. But as a fact of matter, S-Cross is the best car from Maruti stable.

And, there is already workable strategy to beat one of the biggest reason why Maruti sells most, market reach. May be a short term coalition amongst like minded manufacturers needed.

Fiat/Jeep may need to come together again with Tata or this time Hyundai?

May be, the sisters need to come under same umbrella for resource sharing at sales & services end even keeping the brands identity alive (Skoda & VW).

May be, Hyundai do offer short term partnership with others to bring down ever increasing market share of Maruti Suzuki.

A breakthrough is required.

Last edited by kbishwa : 8th June 2018 at 12:44. Reason: grammar
kbishwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 13:00   #27
BHPian

I don’t know if there is any specific reason but why do we not see Mahindra Thar’s figures?
Old 8th June 2018, 13:02   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

1. Why is Abarth shown as Zero? A Bhpian had got delivery of Abarth Punto last month.
Hope the below disclaimer answers your question.

The BHPian may have taken delivery of a car is stock. These figures are not indicative of manufacturer sales and only illustrate factory dispatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 13:04   #29
BHPian

Quite interesting trends this time.

C1 Segment

Amaze comes back with amazing numbers.

C2 Segment

Firstly it is rather amusing to see none of the top 3 big gun C2 sedans viz. Ciaz, City or the Verna making it to the top 20. Nonetheless Ciaz maintains a healthy lead over the others. City sells close to half of the Ciaz volumes (despite City having a more powerful engine on paper) whilst Rapid and Vento are almost at the verge of becoming irrelevant to the market just like the Linea, Sunny et-al. It clearly shows the Indian buyer is not influenced by mere engine prowess, but it is the overall package that he is interested in looking at.

Good to see a healthy start from the Yaris despite being overpriced.

This is a rare occasion where the S-cross makes its appearance in the top 20 list.

D1 Segment

Dwindling numbers of the Compass are alarming. Jeep has to up its game now before it is too late.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 8th June 2018 at 13:05.
King_pin09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 13:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly it appears that the Amaze has affected City sales the most, and Yaris has the Corolla. Verna looks fairly unaffected by either, and has been out-selling the City.

Maruti can improve things with the 1.5L petrol in the Ciaz, but they really should put the petrol engine in the S-Cross too.

Tata is doing well for itself, but its time will really come once the new SUVs and premium hatch are launched and they trim the poor performing models from the list. Focus on the ones that do and ensure good A.S.S. and they're set.

Fiat's entire manufacturing facility is likely being used by Tata and Jeep. With future engine orders likely to be restricted to the 2L, I don't know how their own cars will survive. Just replace the Evo with the Panda, Fiat!

Skoda's premium strategy seems to work. They're expensive enough that their current sales are likely profitable, company financial details would be definitive.
VeluM is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks