Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2018, 17:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card

Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) has collaborated with AGS Transact Technologies to introduce Fastlane - a new automated payment system for purchasing fuel. This is a contactless fuel management and payment solution, not requiring cash, card or paper transactions.

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-hindustanpetroleumretailoutlet.jpg

Called Fastlane, the system requires you to have an RFID (Radio-frequency identification) chip placed inside the inlet of the fuel tank. The fuel-dispensing nozzle will be fitted with a chip reader. The amount of fuel required is fed into a smartphone app by the customer. The app also contains a prepaid amount, which will be used to pay for the fuel purchased. Once the customer pulls up at a pump, the RFID reader identifies the car and fills the car up with the specified quantity and type of fuel. The payment for the fuel is automatically deducted from the prepaid amount.

For this service to work, a petrol pump should be fitted with an RFID reader, which is not a major investment. There are a number of advantages of using this system. It reduces any chance of billing fraud as the billing is automated. Owners of cars will not have to worry about their drivers filling fuel into jerry cans and a mix up between petrol and diesel is not likely. Fastlane also collects the odometer reading of your car. This allows the customer to track real-time fuel expenses.

The time required for filling up the car is also expected to be reduced. The customer just needs to pull up at the pump, wait for the fuel to be dispensed and immediately drive off. Fastlane is already being used in 18 petrol pumps in Mumbai. HPCL plans to expand it to 35 outlets. Further, the company is planning to make the service available in all HPCL pumps in Mumbai, and then in the NCR.

The Fastlane app is available on Google Play for Android users and the App Store for iPhone users:
Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-fastlane-features.jpg

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-fastlane-get-started.jpg

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-fastlane-key-benefits.jpg

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-fastlane-refueling.jpg

Screenshots from the Fastlane app. The App gives the list of pumps where the service is available:
Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-img3470.png

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-img3471.png

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-img3472.png

Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-img3473.png

For more information, click here.

Source: Economic Times

Last edited by Aditya : 18th June 2018 at 15:29.
ChiragM is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL) has collaborated with AGS Transact Technologies to introduce Fastlane - a new automated payment system for purchasing fuel. This is a contactless fuel management and payment solution, not requiring cash, card or paper transactions.
Good news for HP user like me. In our home, we primarily prefer HP due to the tie up with ICICI bank (all at home have ICICI cards) and the close proximity to a 24 hr pump.

I had installed this app when the trial started, but my usual pump was not included in the trial. However, I think this is more for the fleet owners at best, especially those who operate vehicles pan India. Incase you are filling up at only one pump, it doesn't really make sense to get such a system (local transporters maintain an account with the dealers).
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 13:58   #3
BHPian

What a great initiative; good to see technology penetrating into different daily aspects of life to make things simpler.

Let's just hope it doesn't face the challenges of 'Saar, not working' or 'Saar not there' like the Fastag system.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Fastlane service has been installed in 18 pumps across Mumbai, Thane and Vashi. Customers can start using it from 1 July. 200 HPCL outlets across the country are expected to get the system later. The expansion will be done in a phased manner.

The service can be accessed via a smartphone app, as well as over the Fastlane website.

The RFID tags are certified by PESCO (Petroleum Explosives & Safety Organisation). The Fastlane RFID ring:
Hindustan Petroleum's Fastlane : Buy fuel without cash or card-fastlane-rfid-ring.jpg

A video explaining how the system works:
ChiragM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Sreejith ep for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 20:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I’ve started using this last month for all our cars. It’s such a boon! You can download the app and get the rfid sticker home delivered or pick it up at your hp pump.

Sometimes there are server issues but besides that works great. The interface is easy to use.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 21:49   #7
BANNED

What about "full tank" where we cannot exactly predict volume of fuel needed?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 01:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What about "full tank" where we cannot exactly predict volume of fuel needed?
Full tank by default puts a very high value depending on the car. It’s always 15k or more. Hence it’s best to set your limit to ₹9999 as that’s the maximum a FastLane pump can dispense anyway. Keep that much amount in your fastlane wallet always to avoid any rejection at the pump due to inadequate funds. No car would have a tank larger than that amount unless one is filling up a truck or fuel crosses 100₹ rs a litre.

Last edited by Sahil : 9th February 2020 at 01:54.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 15:47   #9
BANNED

I feel you missed my point. A typical hatch has a tank capacity of 40 - 45 litres. Sedan / SUVs have 50 -70l.

But, my point is, when you want a full tank, there is no prediction of exact quantity required. Posts here suggest that you have to specify either volume of fuel or amount beforehand.

But on my jazz, if the range shown on the DIS below 100 km, the vehicle can take anywhere between 34 TO 38 L petrol, the tank capacity being 44 l. There is always a margin of error while predicting fuel to tankful.

So, is it possible to tell the system to dispense fuel till the tank is full or credit becomes zero, whatever comes first?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th February 2020 at 15:50.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 22:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
But, my point is, when you want a full tank, there is no prediction of exact quantity required. Posts here suggest that you have to specify either volume of fuel or amount beforehand.
Good point. I always top up full tank to full tank.
Rarely do I ask for a certain amount of fuel in terms of liters or Rupees to be filled.
The App should allow for an option of - "Till fuel Cut Off" - since we cannot ascertain exact amount of liters our vehicle will require when filling.

Another short cut is to keep filling in increments of Rs 1000 and in the final stages in increments of Rs 500 - wasting our time and causing a line behind us.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:21   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The preset is the max cap limit. Hence you set a limit that is as much or more than your approx full tank. When you fill up it will charge based on the actual fuel dispensed, not the preset limit. For example if you preset it to ₹9999 but you filled just 10 litres worth ₹845 it will charge you just the actual ₹845.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 09:30   #12
BHPian

Nice initiative, reminds me of Club HP advert (Accha lagta hain , club HP) but I hope one can expect to have a hassle-free experience and not have to contend with connectivity issues, network outages, reader problems etc.

I presume this is a not an inter company tag, in which case you'll be compelled to stay loyal to HP after loading up your account.
Old 10th February 2020, 10:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative. Few questions

1. Are they charging the customers for fastlane RFID to install on Cars ?

2. What if same initiative is started by IOCL, Bharat Petroleum etc in a near future?

If they start installing multiple chips on fuel lid, will it have an interference? What I mean is,
1. Will the RFID reader of one Service Provider(say HP) be able to read multiple tags and deduct money from other Tags (IOCL, BP )as well?
Old 10th February 2020, 11:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I’ve started using this last month for all our cars. It’s such a boon! You can download the app and get the rfid sticker home delivered or pick it up at your hp pump.
Can you add cars registered to different owners in one single Fastlane Account? The Pump near me has started Fastlane operations. This is going to be super convenient for us as well as drivers.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Good initiative. Few questions

1. Are they charging the customers for fastlane RFID to install on Cars ?

2. What if same initiative is started by IOCL, Bharat Petroleum etc in a near future?

If they start installing multiple chips on fuel lid, will it have an interference? What I mean is,
1. Will the RFID reader of one Service Provider(say HP) be able to read multiple tags and deduct money from other Tags (IOCL, BP )as well?
No they are not charging for RFID, infact the new app update has RFID stickers delivered free.
The RFID is a sticker now not a device as shown in this threads initial posts video.

This is an exclusive HP RFID and it will not work with other brand pumps now or perhaps even in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Can you add cars registered to different owners in one single Fastlane Account? The Pump near me has started Fastlane operations. This is going to be super convenient for us as well as drivers.
Yes ofc it does not ask you for any RC or owner names etc. Just the car number and make which too is more for you to know in the app which car is refuelling. All HP cares about is that the RFID sticker is there.

Last edited by Sahil : 10th February 2020 at 11:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks