Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is downsizing the next trend in Indian auto industry?
No- Size does matter! 226 52.56%
Yes- Small is beautiful! 204 47.44%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 12:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Is downsizing your car to a smaller one the new trend in Indian cities?

We, in the family, decided to have one large SUV for relaxed, holiday and highway drives and one small hatch for daily commuting with the City.
Size does matter - Small within the City and large for highway with luggage. One size can't serve all.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, it depends on individual needs. I had the need for space, which I frequently ran out in a small car. One thing I did on the switch, was to go with AT and there is a world of difference. I have taken the AT sedan in narrow lanes, did all sorts of parking stunts which I didn't dare do in the small MT car.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 12:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Although there are many virtues of driving a smaller car in today's overcrowded cities, I don't see downsizing of the car becoming a trend in the Auto Industry as such. One trend that is certainly observable is that many folks prefer having two cars. One big car for the out of city runs and one small hatch for the city runabouts. Our family falls into this category. We don't take out the big SUV in the city, unless we are sure of getting a comfortable and assured parking spot. We don't mind cramming five adults in the i10, rather than struggling to find parking space!

Sub 4m hatchbacks of today are as spacious and comfortable on the inside as any sedan. Heck me and my dad are as comfortable (spacewise) in my 2 door Polo GTI upfront as we are in our X3. (Those front seats have a healthy range of travel). Long journey comfort is a different issue as NVH, ride comfort etc.. come into the picture. But in the city we don't find any justification in taking out the big car when only one or two of us are travelling.

Big cars serve a definite purpose and for this reason I don't see them going away. But I do wish manufacturers, especially the premium ones, start focusing on luxurious small cars big on quality and safety with all kinds of creature comforts, powerful engines, etc.. There is a vacuum in this space currently.
Santoshbhat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 22:18   #19
BHPian

I drive a Scorpio and many a times have thought if it makes sense to sell the giant and buy a smaller car to park easier, drive easier in Bangalore traffic. The stance it gives and the 'Sitting on top of the World' feeling it gives, makes me overlook the disadvantages. I wouldn't mind parking a kilometer away in secured parking and walk that extra bit. When I tell my wife I plan to sell it and purchase a smaller car, she says "Buy it but if you sell this then I am never going to sit in the smaller one."
I don't think I will ever downsize. In fact if at all I purchase another one, it will either be this big or bigger. About the emissions, I compensate by using Namma Metro even if I have work a kilometer around the nearest station. I prefer walking the extra Kilometer. And weekend rides have turned from petrol burners to fat burner.
bikerzindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 10:28   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is downsizing your car to a smaller one the new trend in Indian cities?

As someone who loves big cars, I disagree. Not just because of my personal preferences, but also because:

1. The traditional upgrade cycle of hatchback -> sedan -> SUV -> luxury car is hardwired into Indian brains. Of course, the sequence might not always be the same, but you get what I'm saying.

2. With time, the need for space only grows (pun intended). Families only get bigger with time.

3. A higher segment car usually brings more power & torque . Can you get the 1.8 TSI in any hatchback?

4. Cars from a higher segment also offer more safety (most important today), better quality interiors, features etc. Moving from a big to small car might not be easy because of this factor alone.

5. Those with a certain *awareness* level might not care about this, but many people will = Society. If you move from a big car to a small one, your neighbours might think you're undergoing a financial crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
Well I "feel" (could be wrong) that a majority of users of suv buy it just for the size (kilo to rupee factor?) and road presence it offers more than its off-road capabilities.
So what. Every Porsche owner doesn't need to drive at 300 kmph to justify his purchase. To each his own, I say.

Quote:
I once travelled 250 Kms in the outgoing (now gone) fortuner on a good highway and the journey was not pleasant, I incidentally travelled the same journey within a weeks time in a Skoda Laura and that was far more comfortable than the Fortuner
The Laura has a much better suspension than the bumpy Fortuner. The Fortuner also pitches at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
I can relate to what you are saying. I sold my beloved ecosport to buy a compact automatic (polo).
There is a negligible difference between the length & width of the Polo vs EcoSport - both are compact cars. And the enhanced height of the EcoSport might actually make it easier to drive in the city. Not sure I agree with your post.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 10:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can you get the 1.8 TSI in any hatchback?
Yes. The Polo GTI - the car that you can have the most fun on Indian roads.

Am with you mate on the downsizing - a big NO.

Wish we had roads that could take powerful cars though.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 10:48   #22
BHPian

You read my mind. You are like a movie director or producer who can understand real life trends :-). I am very much thinking of downsizing the car since about an year. I want the smallest car possible for city drives (read Bangalore). Thinking of stopping driving altogether on highways. Its since about two years since I drove anywhere and it has not made a difference. At least one car off the highway. Unless you can get the roads cleared for you (like a VIP), buying a large SUV is a fruitless exercise.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

There is a negligible difference between the length & width of the Polo vs EcoSport - both are compact cars. And the enhanced height of the EcoSport might actually make it easier to drive in the city. Not sure I agree with your post.
Yes, as I said, the big car thing played on the mind though the facts will tell otherwise. Of course my need for automatic was more pressing. I am not sure if it is only me, but I do feel driving Polo is way more comfortable than Ecosport. (Feels small, Sit lower, No thick A pillar, MT vs AT, etc)
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:03   #24
BHPian

I downsized from a Jetta to a Lodgy more than 2 years ago and do not regret the decision. Earlier we would struggle to squeeze in 5 passengers. Now comfortably we can sit upto 7-8. Have even stuffed 10 at 1 time.

Cant wait to take the Lodgy on a long ride again
Ehsank78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

The ideal thing to do is

a) Have a luxury long distance cruiser for weekends and highway trips
b) Have a small, fun, chuckable hot hatch for the city

Best of both worlds ain't it?
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:04   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsank78 View Post
I downsized from a Jetta to a Lodgy more than 2 years ago and do not regret the decision. Earlier we would struggle to squeeze in 5 passengers. Now comfortably we can sit upto 7-8. Cant wait to take the Lodgy on a long ride again
Ditto here. Civic to BR-V/A-star and no regrets.

Last edited by SmartCat : 19th June 2018 at 11:06.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:07   #27
BHPian

In 2008 I downsized to Swift Vxi from Honda City EX amid concern of 'LOG KYA KAHANGE". But I never bothered as I felt sedan was boxy and Swift was sporty. Never bought sedan since than.
Than, I was told neighbours talked about high EMI burden, loss of "uparee Kamayee" and some even linked my car sale to Lehman Brothers bankruptcy.

But hold on, I voted "no" as last 6 years in Delhi taught me that size does matter and hence have gone for few trucks (Fortuner, Endeavour) in the past.

Last edited by Wanderers : 19th June 2018 at 11:08.
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 11:19   #28
BHPian

Well, I recently downsized from Sedan to AT hatchback and it has been a breeze driving in Bangalore city and quite effortless in parking at unimaginable parking slots.
However, I have retained my Sedan and I plan to use it for highway drives and occasional city drives where I need boot space.

Here is my overall thought
a) SUV's or Tall Boy cars are the "IN THING" today due to tall driving position and macho looks - It is also the sought after choice in city like Bangalore where roads are in shambles.
"If you can afford - why not a SUV" is the trend.

b) People then plan to have a daily runner and that can be hatchback AT and this is where a lot of additional sales is coming up.

While I am happy with MT Sedan + AT Hatchback in my stable - I would like to shift to MT/AT SUV and AT Hatchback few years later.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:29   #29

In the crowded cities, its fun to drive and park a smaller vehicle. I recently shifted to a smaller jelly bean Zen ( 2002) model with power steering and front power windows and its a hoot to drive in the city..

It has now become my daily drive with the bigger vehicle kept aside for highway/ Long runs,
Old 19th June 2018, 11:30   #30
BHPian

Most people have space for one car or can afford only one car. For this purpose alone a crossover is good option if you have 4 members in family who travel a lot out of town.
I have had the Brio for almost 3 years and all the trips were mostly me and wife and we never felt a need to have a highway car. The Brio just suits fine.
So unless you have lot of luggage and travel 4-5 people makes no sense to haul a big car in town.
How I wish our car rental scene improves we all will just need a small car and rent one big car when we need.
For that the basic thing of issuing driving license needs to change. Too many wishes
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks