Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 12:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Triber Report has been taken live at this link (Renault Triber : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

French auto major Renault is gearing up to launch a 7-seater version of it's popular A-segment hatchback, the Kwid.

This version, codenamed "RBC" and based on a slightly larger CMF-A+ platform, is said to be in the works and will be introduced in the Indian market soon.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renaultkwid.jpg

Quote:
A single model in the segment may not be good enough for sustainable growth. The 20 percent year-on-year drop in the Kwid's sales during the April-October 2017 period could indicate that. Therefore, two more are in the works. First would be a seven-seater sibling of the Kwid, aimed at garnering more customers, most of whom could be first-time car buyers. This model, based on the CMF-A+ platform (a little bigger version of the CMF-A platform) is set to arrive "soon" in the market.

Gérard Detourbet, Alliance Managing Director, Alliance A-Segment development unit, says, "It's clear that we did not create the platform (CMF-A) only for one car. On each platform we can develop a lot of things. Not only because we can use different type of bodies but also because we have a lot of possible branding."
The seven-seater vehicle (codenamed RBC) will be followed by another one on the same platform over a period of time. "Yes, we will have more than one model (on the CMF-A+ platform) at the end," says Detourbet.

In India, the Kwid has sold a little over 203,000 units till end-October, since its launch little over two years ago. During the April-October 2017 period, the Kwid sold 52,893 units, 20 percent lower than the same seven-month period last year. The new offering on the modified CMF-A platform will be crucial to ramp up volumes for Renault in the A/A+segment and also to support the viability of Renault India’s dealership network.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-cmfinfographicfeature1.jpg

Autocar Professional

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2020 at 11:37. Reason: Link to review :)
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault to introduce a 7-seater based on the CMFA (Kwid) platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
French auto major Renault is gearing up to launch a 7-seater version of it's popular A-segment hatchback, the Kwid.
So Datsun GO+ may come back as Kwid+, interested to see if they will retain the 1.2L engine or plonk the 1.0L engine.
deehunk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 12:54   #3
BHPian

Makes me recall the horror of booking Go+ as a 6 seater on Uber. had made my 2 shortest friends squeeze in for close to 30 minutes. It was extremely uncomfortable as well as did not feel as stable. I hope they don't repeat the same mistake.
avingodb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Kwid has left some impression in the minds of Indian car buyers, and I don't see how a 7-seater Kwid would not succeed. As long as the quality,looks and price are in harmony, there sure would be many takers for this. I also wish Renault plonks in an oil-burner as well for the ease of city driving and to spice up the competition.

We are probably going to see the next big trend in automobiles, city friendly 7-seater pseudo SUV's/MUV's in budget range(<7 lakhs). I guess even a Wagon R 7-seater is in the works for India as well. Surprisingly, Datsun Go+ could not leave a mark in this territory.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:49   #5
BHPian

Seriously? A seven seater Kwid?

What about safety? That's the first thing that occurred to me.

7 people in a structurally weak car with a grossly under-powered engine. Why, just so that Renault will be able earn a few quick bucks with minimum investment?

This is where regulation has failed. Govt. agencies have to bring in crash safety norms soon. Else we will end up with more of such half baked cars on Indian roads.

Imagine a fully loaded Piaggio goods carrier racing against a fully loaded seven seater Kwid. Dreadful.

Having said that, seven seater Kwid with a few dashes of Oragne and sticker job called Climber might get the sales charts goings, at least for a few months.
OrangeCar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
The Kwid has left some impression in the minds of Indian car buyers, and I don't see how a 7-seater Kwid would not succeed. As long as the quality,looks and price are in harmony, there sure would be many takers for this. I also wish Renault plonks in an oil-burner as well for the ease of city driving and to spice up the competition.

We are probably going to see the next big trend in automobiles, city friendly 7-seater pseudo SUV's/MUV's in budget range(<7 lakhs). I guess even a Wagon R 7-seater is in the works for India as well. Surprisingly, Datsun Go+ could not leave a mark in this territory.
True that. City-friendly 7-seater cars will do decently well going forward, thanks to their easier maneuverability and compact dimensions, provided they are priced and marketed correctly (Eg. Ertiga).

Calling a Honda BR-V as an MUV would have probably worked more in its favour than calling it an SUV (not to forget the price premium over the Mobilio which it replaced ).

The Wagon-R 7-seater and Kwid-based 7-seater should see some traction in the market.
nikipedia87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 16:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Makes me recall the horror of booking Go+ as a 6 seater on Uber.
Just had the same experience yesterday. Cancelled and re-booked, thankfully got an Innova. Also emailed them that I wanted a proper 6/7 seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Having said that, seven seater Kwid with a few dashes of Oragne and sticker job called Climber might get the sales charts goings, at least for a few months.
The more such stretched cars are seen, the more I have started liking the EECO and the humble Omni. Agreed, they are not safe vehicles, but atleast you can be comfortable no? Its no wonder these cars are there in the sales chart month over month. Now I understand the appeal!
blackwasp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly! We rented a Kwid for 2 full days on our trip to Goa last year and every time I hit speeds of over 60, I held myself back from accelerating any further.

I wonder if the intent is to compete with the Omni

Last edited by pannags : 5th December 2017 at 17:17.
pannags is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 19:27   #9
BHPian

Indian version Kwid scored zero in NCAP and that includes the top variant with driver airbag. Considering more stringent safety norms in future, a seven seater Kwid based MUV might well become expensive 6.5 to 9 lakhs. It is a zone ruled by Ertiga, Bolero.

Instead of investing in bringing a new product, they can focus on uplifting the Lodgy. It has a decent engine with decent fuel economy. Maybe they can tune the engine a bit, add more safety, improve interior quality and most importantly change the piggy bank shape, give some sharp lines, angles like the Innova.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 5th December 2017 at 19:38.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 20:37   #10
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good safety measure. Keep a driver and seat yourself in the middle row only. That gives one row ahead and one behind as crumple zone. Poor driver though.

So now we have a rugged Climber look Kwid and also a stretch limo look (mini ertiga).

When the Ertiga came out and people found it to be a small innova who would have imagined an even smaller innova .. Oops people carrier. Or is it KwIDS carrier.

Even it it sells in some numbers I do believe it to be a poor idea.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 20:52   #11
BANNED

Quote:

7 people in a structurally weak car with a grossly under-powered engine. Why, just so that Renault will be able earn a few quick bucks with minimum investment?
I guess you forgot, Renault will simply do two things they did in past and pass the crash tests:
1) Install an airbag - but smaller than what the size should be; like they did for Duster.
2) Offer a driver airbag and strengthen the driver side enough that it can pass the crash test - like they did to pass crash tests with Kwid.

So, you need not to worry about safety, at least on paper they will manage to pass the safety tests.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is where regulation has failed. Govt. agencies have to bring in crash safety norms soon. Else we will end up with more of such half baked cars on Indian roads.

Imagine a fully loaded Piaggio goods carrier racing against a fully loaded seven seater Kwid. Dreadful.

I have seen 20 people stuffed inside this Toofan which is a 12 a seater vehicle.

The only safety device it has Nimbu-Mirchi Totka hanging from the front bumper.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-forcemotorstraxcruisertoofancar.jpg  

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-nimbumirchi11.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 10:52   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault to introduce a 7-seater based on the CMFA (Kwid) platform

Yes, the news is true. A Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) shares the following note:

Quote:
RBC: It is a 7-seater car pinned on the CMFA platform developed by their cheap car R&D unit called the 2ASDU team. The car will be an MPV with 7 seats. The front end will look more similar to the Kwid - it will have the same 1 litre engine and a rear A/C blower as well.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:41   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, the news is true. A Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) shares the following note:
So, just like the Kwid which is an SUV'ish hatchback, this is an SUV'ish MPV!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:46   #15
BHPian

In the Ertiga official review thread, I saw a post where someone mentioned that it feels strained when loaded with 7 people + some luggage. If this is the case with 1.4 litre Ertiga, what'll be the case with 7 seater Kwid with 1.0 litre engine?
It'll take ages before it picks up highway speeds with 7 people on board!
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed