Team-BHP - Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/199335-renault-triber-kwid-based-mpv-edit-launched-rs-4-95-lakhs-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishnuramana (Post 4607055)
I don't think the last row seats offer any safety being so close to the tail gate. Wonder what's the NCAP rating for this car :D

Have you tried the last row of a Scorpio? Can count the radiator fins in the truck behind. Same same with XUV - slightly better, but not by much.

My first impression on the Triber from it's launch video.

Positives-

The car looks good.
Its feature rich.
Perfect small car for a family of 4 adults and 2 kids.
With sensible pricing, its a practical choice.
Car looks and feels more premium than the Datsun Go+.
With seats removed on the 3rd row, it has a 625L boot space! That's huge.

Negatives-

With 7 person on-board, a 1 L, 3 cylinder, NA engine is grossly under-powered.
Maruti has plonked the 1.2L engine on the WagonR, not without a reason.
I wonder, why Renault has not opted for their 1.2L engine which is currently doing it's duty on the Go+.

This car, with a proper diesel would have been a hit among the cab segment.
A BSVI complaint version of the 1461 cc, 63 BHP version of the diesel Pulse/Micra would have been apt.

An overall good attempt, let down by a poor engine choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 4607073)
Have you tried the last row of a Scorpio? Can count the radiator fins in the truck behind. Same same with XUV - slightly better, but not by much.

I haven't been in a Scorpio yet, but I've been in a XUV. They at least give a feel of safety due to the bulky nature of the cars but I just don't get that vibe with the Triber.

I think taking a look in person would help more with this thought.

Indeed a comprehensive package considering nuclear families and young junta. Definitely needs a more powerful engine to make it a complete package though.

It reminds me of how duster triggered the urban SUV segment and enjoyed that cake alone for many years without a proper competition. A sub-4m car with practical seat layout (3rd row already removed in my mind), large boot, decent safety kit and smart feature list that includes engine start/stop, ICE with apple car play and android auto, keyless entry etc. It's not a usual combination for sure. clap:

Triber in it's various colors as imagined by Cartoq.com, not sure if all of them are the official colors in which this car will come or not.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-screenshot_20190619222337.png

Name:  Screenshot_20190619222328.png
Views: 9205
Size:  355.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190619222304.png
Views: 8538
Size:  378.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190619222313.png
Views: 8808
Size:  338.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20190619222322.png
Views: 8473
Size:  380.6 KB

Wish they plonk the 1.0 Turbo GDI with the DCT from the Venue into this & it would be a great package. This 1.0L engine can't pull 7 people on a level ground; forget an incline: forget the mountains go to any mall parking lot and it will wheeze up the ramp with a lot of clutch slipping: I only wish Renault proves me wrong. I hope dual airbags, EBD and brake assist would be there.

Design success is very subjective. Duster was a successful package and the design was appreciated. Mini duster aka Kwid used it's strength and continued the success formula. Captur is a dud in Indian market, so continuing with the same design could pose risk. Although Triber could be marketed in the super successful Ertiga segment with a huge price advantage.

Renault does not have a bigger petrol engine like K12 series of Maruti. The expectation was that Renault would plonk its 0.9L gasoline engine which powers the Clio in Europe.

The top end variant gets dual airbags, lower variants get driver side single airbag. Hill assist feature should be a standard across all variants as this is a 7 seater.

Nissan got itself kicked after being greedy for kicks.
Renault Tribal might be confined to Tribes with the puny engine.

Good looking car decent equipment list, some innovative thinking like removable third row of seats, good looks and ample storage spaces. But wait we have to have some killer features:
1. Fixed front headrests
2. Weird placement for start stop switch.
3. No steering mounted audio, phone controls.
4. No indicators on ORVMs.
5. 1 ltr 70 bhp engine for a bigger and more importantly such a well equipped car. They should have used a downsized version of the Duster 1.5l petrol engine.
6. The top model shown in orange color might touch Eritga mid variants price.

People might buy it as a very spacious 5 seater, but that will also depend on price.

While everyone is raising questions about Triber's ability to haul a full house of people especially in the hilly regions or inclines, we should remember that Maruti Omni, with a kerb weight between 785-800Kgs had a power of 34bhp@5000rpm and 59Nm@2500rpm and had been selling strongly till being discontinued even in the hilly regions, plying as taxis as well as private car for people with big families and those who needed to haul luggage.

I am sure that Triber with 72ps@6250rpm and 96Nm@3500rpm with a kerb weight of 947Kgs will do better than Omni. Renault has worked on giving taller 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears to handle the extra load that this car will have to carry. Yes, it may not be rocket fast on the ghats, but it surely will do the job!

I did not calculate the power/ton and torque/ton figures, but I'm sure that if my Nano can climb the steep Mullingar Climb in Mussoorie with a full house, this will do it even better. Let Renault launch the car and let the Test Drives happen, we will come to know if they took the right decision by not employing the 1.2L motor from Nissan and extracting more power from their own 1L mill. That engine makes 67bhp@5000rpm and 104Nm@4000rpm in the Go Plus.

This is one really well packaged product. They have really ensured that utilitarian requirements are met rather than on providing gimmicky useless features. This will get decent volumes for Renault. Hope that they don't get greedy and undercut the Ertiga by a decent margin considering the sub 4 meter tax advantage.

Only aspect that needs to be seen is the safety rating for the car. If it is atleast 4 stars, then it would be great.

And later, if we get a more powerful engine version, then this is a threat to the sub 4m CSUVs (Brezza/ Nexon/ Ecosport) as well since many people will be willing to use this as a 5 seater.

Even Mahindra might be worried that this may take away some Marazzo volumes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdityaDeane (Post 4607164)
While everyone is raising questions about Triber's ability to haul a full house of people especially in the hilly regions or inclines, we should remember that Maruti Omni, with a kerb weight between 785-800Kgs had a power of 34bhp@5000rpm and 59Nm@2500rpm...

While I respect your opinion, what we must also remember is the price point. Renault Triber is definitely not coming at Omni's price point for people to ignore its relatively small engine.

Of course, with the correct amount of momentum and driver skills, one can drive uphill on Omnis (rear wheel drive, BTW), Altos and what not. But the relative ease of doing that when you pay higher price for a product will be missing in the Triber.

Now how much of a deterrent this becomes depends upon the price. Let's hope it is priced at par with Go Plus.

I think Renault will undercut Ertiga with a good enough margin. I look at it a bit differently:

Since Renault-Nissan alliance is known to sharing products and technologies (including manufacturing), we have seen similar cars from them. We have seen re-badge products from the alliance in the form of Scala-Sunny, Micra-Pulse, Duster-Terrano etc. However, with the Datsun brand the approach has been a bit different. Kwid and Redi-GO are pretty different products, though they share a lot. I think the same philosophy goes with GO+ and Triber. Renault has made the Triber an upmarket product when compared to the GO+ and the differences are more than noticeable. I think it will be logical to estimate Triber's price keeping GO+ as the base and accounting for improvements that Renault has done. The new GO+ that was launched last year had many upgraded features including the infotainment system, LED DRLs, and more upmarket interiors (recently it got VDC / TC as well).

Now if i take GO+ as base and look at the improvements that Renault has done, following things come to my mind: Better sheet-metal (assumption as Triber is 50-60kg heavier), better interiors, modular second row, a removable third row, added features like push button start, bigger touch screen (?), and rear AC vents, better MID, better seats etc. I might have missed a few things but have covered the major ones. Can we now assign some cost to these improvements? My guess is between 1.5-2 lacs.

GO+ is priced between 3.86-5.74 and if we add this cost, Triber could be priced between 5.5-7.5 lacs at max. While, the Ertiga starts at 7.44 so we are looking at a very big price difference here. Triber could end where Ertiga starts. Also, the price difference between GO+ and Triber will also be pretty big and thus it may not impact GO+ volumes which anyways are very low (250-300 units). My 2 cents!

Excellent effort by Renault. This will be the third successful product from Renault after Duster and Kwid.

Shame on you, Indian market leaders like Maruti and Hyundai! You failed to create new segments like what Renault did with Duster and Kwid. You are just following Renault's foot steps. Same thing will happen with Triber.

Now Maruti will think of bringing the 7-seater Wagon-R, but won't be as good-looking as Triber, but will have a better 1.2L engine. As the Ertiga has grown in dimensions and moved upmarket, they can rework the old Ertiga and make it a sub-4m car (by cutting 270mm from whatever exists at the front and rear) to compete with Triber. That will result in a smaller engine bay and a cramped 3rd row, but that is what Triber is also all about.

launching this with a 1 litre engine is a joke. This car will be downright unsafe on single lane highways. At the very least, Renault could have provided a turbo charged engine if the engine bay did not permit a larger engine.