Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2019, 12:06   #181
BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Kudos to Renault for excellent packaging and roomy interiors for what is basically a budget compact mpv. With a turbocharged petrol motor likely in the offing the only fly in the ointment will be taken care off.

Renault haven't skimped on features considering this is a budget proposition. This car is small enough to be a daily driver and offers the flexibility of seven seats or a massive boot when we want to take those family trips or airport runs.

All rows have ac vents, 15" wheels, sliding and reclining second row, removable third row, excellent space for a sub 4m vehicle, good ground clearance, projector Headlamps, touchscreen, good storage spaces and good around visibility. The car has good proportions and fit and finish is decent. Basically it ticks all the right boxes and it's prospects look good enough for it make a proper flash at the price point it will be competing at.
Old 22nd June 2019, 15:31   #182
BHPian

A very neat car from Renault. Sure to stir up the market like the Kwid. I guess Renault wants to ride on the wave of having MPVs as against the popular trend of SUVs owing to the improvement in the needs of an average buyer to have more space or optional seats.

If this trend catches up, then I guess we will begin to see Estate versions of some popular hatches too. Happy that Renault decided to go the different route of making a Kwid+ rather than a Kwid-X model.

Since it is clear that this isn't a Datsun rebadge, could we possibly expect a Nissan rebadge sooner or later? Curious!
vivee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 16:13   #183
Senior - BHPian

Renault and Datsun are expected to have sub-4m SUVs based on the same platform. Both will differ in looks but will have common bits.

Nissan, according to a recent interview, wont have cars below Rs 10 lakh range in India. Sub-10 lakh market will be Datsun.
Old 22nd June 2019, 17:05   #184
Senior - BHPian

Renault Triber First Look Impressions

Link

Quote:
The Triber is Renault’s first offering in the sub-Rs 10 lakh price bracket since the Kwid, which was launched four years ago. Renault is certainly hoping to replicate the Kwid’s success with the Triber by bringing something unique to the table. We’ve seen the Triber in the flesh at its global debut in the capital, and here are our first impressions of the upcoming Renault.

Since it's a sub-4m vehicle, it attracts lower taxes under the government's taxation laws, similar to sub-4m sedans and SUVs. It appears to be a cross between a hatchback and an SUV at first. It measures just under 4m, like premium hatchbacks and subcompact SUVs, but is likely to rival midsize hatchbacks like the Swift in terms of pricing. If you look at the silhouette, its does have a subtle MPV vibe to it, but elements like high ground clearance, body cladding and roof rails add to its rugged quotient. In fact, on the whole, it doesn’t really come across as an MPV at all.

The front fascia of the Triber is in line with Renault's global products. There’s a chunky Renault logo that cuts into the heavily sculpted clamshell bonnet and there's the signature Renault grille with chrome inserts.

The headlamps feature a dual-barrel projector setup (low beam projectors, high beam multi-reflectors), while daytime runnings LEDs are placed on the bumper. Surprisingly, there are no fog lamps on the Triber and there's no provision for that either.

The dual-tone bumper features a large air dam with honeycomb mesh and a faux skid plate. Adding to its rugged appeal is 183mm of ground clearance and wheel cladding as well as functional roof rails, which can carry loads of up to 50kg.

There’s a kink in the roofline to liberate headroom at the rear, especially for the third row. The second door is massive for a car under 4m long. The Triber will come with both 5- and 5+2-seater options, but even for the former, the massive rear door will aid in easy ingress and egress. There’s a distinct kink on the C-pillar as well.

The rear is nearly flat if you compare it to other hatchbacks, something that you see in MPVs. There are split wrap-around tail lamps (no LEDs), which merge with the muscular centre crease line. You can also see a dual-tone bumper with faux a silver skid plate here.

The wheels are 15-inchers with 185/65 cross-section tyres having a four-lug nut setup, compared to three in the Kwid. There are no alloy wheels on offer even with the top-spec model as it features flex wheels which imitate alloys.

Renault might offer alloys as accessory, like it does with the Kwid, and thankfully with the four-lug nut setup, there will be multiple options in the aftermarket as well. Also, the spare wheel is accessible from outside.

The Triber is roughly as tall as the Ford EcoSport and its sub-4m length along with a healthy width keeps that MPV vibe at bay. It looks quite sporty, upright and European in appeal, much like the Escape sold abroad. It is based on a new platform, which Renault says is more than 90 per cent different compared to the Kwid’s CMF-A.

The dashboard is pretty minimal and features a light and dark grey theme with silver highlights and chrome accents. The 8-inch touchscreen juts out of the dashboard. It also gets a phone holder and start/stop button.

The instrument cluster packs a 3.5-inch screen at the centre flanked by twin dials that feature a digital setup like the Kwid. The steering wheel is borrowed from the Nissan Kicks and the upcoming 2019 Duster facelift, but has blank spaces as it surprisingly misses out on audio controls. There's no leather wrap either.

While the entire Renault range offers the 7-inch MediaNav touchscreen infotainment system, the Triber features a larger 8-inch clean looking, glass-encased unit. It supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and runs the same ULC 4.0 system as other Renault models with identical block-type UI. The screen isn’t the sharpest of all out there, but is responsive.

Below the screen are aeroplane-like buttons and circular dials for the manual air conditioning system. This setup is identical to what Renault/Dacia offers with the second-gen Duster in Europe. So, there’s a possibility that the Triber might get an auto climate control in the future. It also offers vents for the second and third row of seats.

Interestingly, there’s a built-in segment-first refrigerator, which is placed between the front seats and is easily accessible from the second row as well. Moreover, there are twin glove compartments in the dashboard and the lower one is cooled too.

While the front seats have integrated headrests, the rear two rows of seats offer adjustable headrests. The seat cushioning is slightly on the softer side. The front seats are nearly identical to the Kwid’s, but pack front side airbags (integrated into the seats) like the Brazil-spec Kwid.

It has a fabric upholstery and even the door pads get a padded fabric insert on the armrest. The overall fit and finish is on par with other midsize hatchbacks like the Figo, if not better. There are rough edges here and there and visible nuts, but they won’t be deal breakers. What we sorely missed on the Triber was driver’s seat height adjustment, though the steering wheel is tilt-adjustable.

The second-row seat features 60:40 split, while the third row offers 50:50. Moreover, the third-row seats can tumble and are also removable, whereas the second-row seats slide, tumble and recline. With this modularity, the Triber packs various options to carry luggage, much like Honda’s Magic Seats (earlier offered with the Jazz in India).

Its whooping 2636mm wheelbase is more than several high-end cars, including Honda City and Hyundai Creta. In fact, it is the largest of any sub-4m car on sale in India. This translates to a spacious second row if you compare it with hatchbacks like the Swift, Figo and Grand i10, thanks to its sliding feature. The first-in-segment reclining functionality boosts the comfort quotient. Adding further to this is its flat rear floor and B-pillar-mounted AC vents.

The third row would be suitable for kids, whereas for tall adults it would a bit of a squeeze, although the headroom is adequate and there are dedicated AC vents as well. We would rather prefer this as a comfy five-seater with a humongous 625-litre boot, which is the largest amongst sub-4m cars.

So, in the Triber, you get a mix of all -- a hatchback, an MPV and an SUV. On the downside, the 72PS engine seems underpowered on paper to carry full load and there a few misses like missing height adjustment for the driver's seat. Having said that, it still appears to be a pretty competent product as a much bigger and spacious alternative to midsize hatchbacks.

If its prices start from around Rs 5 lakh, the Triber would turn out to be a pretty good option for someone upgrading from a Kwid or other entry-level hatchbacks as it gives you that big car experience. It is expected to hit showrooms next month.
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-1.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-2.jpg

Name:  renault0.png
Views: 6672
Size:  64.6 KB

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-3.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-4.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-5.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-6.jpg
A similarity it shares with the Tata Tiago NRG

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-7.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-8.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-9.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-10.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-11.jpg
Notice the Lodgy style Air Recirculation Mode Selector protruding below the middle dial

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-12.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-13.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-14.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-15.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-renault0-16.jpg
The designers at Renault India got inspired by Tata Nexon it seems.
AdityaDeane is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 19:17   #185
BHPian

A virtual tour of the Renault Triber:
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2019, 23:44   #186
Senior - BHPian

For what it is, a five seater with a huge boot or a part time seven seater, Renault has managed to make it look good.

Renault skimped on fog lamps, OVRM blinkers, steering mounted buttons and alloy wheels in any variant. Adding all these would have costed them roughly 20-25k. They could have offered them in the top end variant and charged a little extra. But, now, the complete lack of these things will give it a 'budget car' tag. Premium hatchback buyers, IMHO, are not going to switch over to the Climber until they are desperately looking for the added space.

But, I like it. I have a dog, so the sub 4 meter 5 seats + big boot suits me.

I might buy it, but I am in no hurry, I will wait for two things.

1. Global NCAP crash test rating. Kwid results still scare me.
2. TBHP's review. The only review I trust.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 09:59   #187
Senior - BHPian

Renault Triber: Kwid-based MPV caught testing EDIT: Now Unveiled

While I appreciate Renault trying to innovate here, I just feel the Triber is more apt for a brand like Datsun and not Renault. The same applies to Kwid as well. These are all short and mid term views by Renault. If the products are just average or just sufficient in terms of quality, they cannot generally sustain sales more than the initial euphoria. Kwid is a good example of this.

Also, Renault is starting to set a certain imagery of the brand with products like the Kwid and Triber. Products that do not excite or offer better quality standards than say Suzuki. If you see the latest cars from Tata and Mahindra they seem a class apart, especially the Tiago and even the Marazzo.

So, 3-4 years from now, what does Renault want to be known as? A brand with just at par quality standards? Fighting for short term minuscule market share while letting go off long term brand credibility and imagery?

VW, Skoda and even Ford are still seen as aspirational brands. True, they have their own troubles. But their positioning is quite clear. With Renault, their strategy seems very short term. And one that can be easily beaten by Suzuki.
motorworks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 23:29   #188
BHPian

I do not think that Renault Global has launched any new products since 2015-2016 (Kwid & Kadjar); apart from facelifts. The Triber launch shows Renault's India focus.

Renault website specifies their 2022 India / China vision as

1. Doubling sales outside europe
2. sale of 8,50,000 cars by 2022 in Africa + Middle-East + India (2016 figure was 4,91,000)
3. Electric vehicle focus

Hope things work-out for renault in India; the more the merrier for us as consumers.
Old 24th June 2019, 07:19   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercloud View Post
I do not think that Renault Global has launched any new products since 2015-2016 (Kwid & Kadjar); apart from facelifts. The Triber launch shows Renault's India focus.
I sincerely hope Renault fixes up it's issues ( if any ), and sorts out their focus. They and Hyundai are the only companies who can punch Maruti where it hurts them the most, entry-mid level hatchbacks.
Old 24th June 2019, 07:54   #190
BHPian

Why are people assuming that the vehicle will be underpowered? 72 bhp/94 nm of torque is not small. It's more than enough to mantain highway speeds (90/100 kmph) with even 7 on board. Two tonner muv like bolero haul 9/10 people and their luggage at 80kmph with a weedy 60bhp engine.
I agree 0-100kmph may take 20 seconds or so with a full house, but no one in their right mind would want to race in this small muv. It's an ideal car for large families on a budget or with small parking lots.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 10:34   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Why are people assuming that the vehicle will be underpowered? 72 bhp/94 nm of torque is not small. It's more than enough to mantain highway speeds (90/100 kmph) with even 7 on board. Two tonner muv like bolero haul 9/10 people and their luggage at 80kmph with a weedy 60bhp engine.
I agree 0-100kmph may take 20 seconds or so with a full house, but no one in their right mind would want to race in this small muv. It's an ideal car for large families on a budget or with small parking lots.
The problem is not with BHP but with size of engine. The bolero comes with 1.5L/2.5L engine. I have a Kwid with 0.8L engine and it struggles big time on highway. The Kwid is meant to be city car and I find the engine power okay'ish. The Tribe is meant to hit out highway quite often and it needs more power.
Old 24th June 2019, 10:49   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
I don't think this is suited for regular MUV duty, given the little leg room in the third row, and the inconvenient in/egress. The 3rd row is more suited for kids, I reckon, they may even like their `own space', than sitting on some one else's lap. Also, keep in mind that if you're talking long hours on the highway, with 7 people, you hardly have any luggage space. This is more suited only for occasional short trips when more than 5 adults are on board. With a puny 72bhp petrol for a car of this size be prepared to hear a lot of honking at every signal. Renault has put in a lot of innovation in the interior space part, it's a pity if they loose out because of their engine choice.

I see the Triber as a regular city hatch, which can also double up as a lifestyle vehicle once in a while, especially suited for someone with a dog in the family, such as myself.

Last edited by 2cents : 24th June 2019 at 10:51.
Old 26th June 2019, 18:36   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Triber details revealed ahead of the car's launch in India.

Quote:
Renault Triber will have a length of 3990mm, a width of 1739mm, a height of 1,643mm (without roof rails) and a wheelbase of 2636mm. The car comes with a ground clearance of 182mm (unladen), while the vehicle's kerb weight is 947kg. The modified CMF-A+ platform has been designed to offer best-in-segment roominess and flexibility. It gets a shoulder room of 1356mm in the first row and 1330mm in the second row. The last row of seats will have a shoulder room of 1216mm in the third row.
Quote:
has a front track of 1547mm and a rear track of 1545mm. It will feature 165/80-section tyres with 14-inch rims as standard, while the top-spec models will get 185/65-section tyres with 15-inch alloy wheels
Colors:

Quote:
The Triber will be available in five colour options - Ice Cool White, Moonlight Silver, Electric Blue, Fiery Red and a new orange paint scheme.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 26th June 2019 at 18:38.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:41   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Triber details revealed ahead of the car's launch in India
If I'm not wrong, Renault Kwid is also based on CMF A+ platform which could be a bad news for safety conscious customers as Renault is quiet on the Triber's safety aspect and the hatchback had fared badly in crash tests.

Last edited by self_driven : 26th June 2019 at 20:43. Reason: typo
Old 26th June 2019, 21:14   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
If I'm not wrong, Renault Kwid is also based on CMF A+ platform which could be a bad news for safety conscious customers as Renault is quiet on the Triber's safety aspect and the hatchback had fared badly in crash tests.
From What I know, Renault had silently upgraded the Kwid globally after it recieved dismal crash test results. I am not so sure about how can one differentiate in India (except knowing the vin number).

The Triber may not get very high crash test ratings but it has to "do the job" of clearing the India crash test norms that will come into effect this year. Same thing goes with the Kwid facelift that will launch after the Triber and Duster.
fx45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed