Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 14:02   #331
BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

I was really looking forward to the AMT version of this car. I want a compact car with a lot of room for my 4 dogs and myself.

I sat inside the car and found that it has extremely good leg room for the front two rows.

To put it very simply, I was ready to buy it.

Sadly, I was told that there is no AMT variant and only manual is available :(

All through out the pre-launch campaign, we were being told that AMT was available. This is very disappointing.
rrnsss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 14:11   #332
BHPian

Just came back from a test drive of triber.
For the cost at which it is expected, it is a lot of car. The engine surprising felt peppy. We were four onboard.

Steering felt a little lifeless at dead center and the return action after a tight turn wasn't too great either.

What I liked though is the amount of space available inside the car and the suspension setup. Touchscreen also felt decent. The reverse parking camera's quality could have been better.

If Renault can price it within 9 lac on-road, they sure have a winner.

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 21st August 2019 at 14:18.
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 15:05   #333
BHPian

Any one has any news on AMT version of triber. I asked two showrooms in Bangalore and got reply that they are accepting booking for AMT version of triber. However, they donot have AMT car for demo or test drive. I have celerio AMT and kind of used to AMT driving and not changed clutch even after driving 128000 Kms. Gives jerks from stand still to motion in first gear and smoother there after. Just wondering how AMT will turn out on Triber. Supposed to be same make on AMT unit as celerio.
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:03   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Supposed to be same make on AMT unit as celerio.
Are you sure? Maruti (and Tata) uses MagnetiMarelli (Fiat group company) sourced AMT actuators. Renault's current Easy-R (Kwid, Duster) cars use a Bosch made AMT unit. I'd assume the same source will be used for Triber also. Don't see why they'd change.

Edit - Welcome to the forum by the way! See you around. Seems it was your first post here! Best wishes.

Last edited by Reinhard : 21st August 2019 at 16:22.
Reinhard is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:08   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Just came back from a test drive of triber.
For the cost at which it is expected, it is a lot of car. The engine surprising felt peppy. We were four onboard.
Hmm.. I stand corrected, the engine response is indeed reported "peppy"

How was the incabin Noise ?

Quote:
Any one has any news on AMT version of triber. I asked two showrooms in Bangalore and got reply that they are accepting booking for AMT version of triber. However, they donot have AMT car for demo
Its being reported in all the reviews that it will get an Easy-R AMT, so it should get one, only a week left to find out now.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:34   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
How was the incabin Noise ?
Outside noise was well controlled. Though, the second row blower can get annoyingly loud. My mother and wife accompanied me for the test drive and within 2 KMS requested that the blower be shut off. Along with music playing at sane volume, the cabin does get noisy with all the windows rolled up.

On broken stretches of road I could hear the suspension and Tyre noises too.

I took the car upto a speed of around 75 kmph and did not hear any evident wind noise which was good. Not sure how it be beyond 80/90 kmph.

One other good point:
The touch screen has something called as eco drive or something similar. It gives out good amount of information about the driving style, real time fuel consumption and the distance the car was coasting. I liked it!
The funny part is, while coasting in gear the real time average goes upto 99.9 kmpl!
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:06   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Are you sure? Maruti (and Tata) uses MagnetiMarelli (Fiat group company) sourced AMT actuators. Renault's current Easy-R (Kwid, Duster) cars use a Bosch made AMT unit. I'd assume the same source will be used for Triber also. Don't see why they'd change.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/mahindra-...arison-2063244

Tata Nexon AMT uses a 6-speed autobox sourced from ZF, while the XUV300 also uses a 6-speed unit sourced from Magneti Marelli. The Vitara Brezza makes do with the 5-speed AMT unit from Marelli

May be you are right. But I was told at Phoenix Market city Renault guy that AMT unit is same as Brezza. Until, we see that unit, we have to wait for confirmation.

Brezza or all maruti is Magneti Marelli
TUV300 was Mahindra and Ricardo, more of a failure
XUV300 back to Magneti Marelli,
Tata Nano: Magneti Marelli,
Tata Nexon: ZF
Duster: ZF
Kwid: Bosch E Clutch and Internal (My guess)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd August 2019 at 12:57. Reason: fixed quotes
pogo0120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:13   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Did you say "Peppy", looking at the engine specs its bhp and torque is even lesser than Dzire and vehicle weight is almost similar, hope you were not running along with it.

On a serious note, how many occupants were present when you test drove and did you do any inclines ?
Yes did surprise me probably as I went with a mindset of 1 Ltr engine. The pull did take me by give a pleasant surprise. Somebody asked about incabin noise, I felt the noise was higher probably due to three pot engine? I did ask them to show the engine insulation after the test drive, which I felt was not there due to the engine noise seeping in the cabin (quite audible) during the drive. However, it does have insulation under the bonnet and also between the engine bay and cabin.

Last edited by onesomeone : 21st August 2019 at 18:16.
onesomeone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:53   #339
BANNED

Peppy, the reason it shall be peppy -

All Indian non-turbocharged petrol cars that have been coined hot or peppy is, the peak torque delivery comes in at ~ 3500 RPM. Same goes for the Triber.

What basically this does is, reduce the in-gear timings substantially and the car feels peppy, the gear ratios also assist the peppiness quotient of a car.

Case in, Old Santro, Palio GTX, Fiesta 1.6, Liva Sportivo and others.

In the case of Triber, at times it would need to pull 7 passengers, the gear ratios have been carefully chosen and the peak torque is delivered earlier, this was a must keeping in the mind the displacement and BHP on offer.

Heck, I drove the Eeco once, was amazed at the in gear sprint, looked at the specs and found the peak torque being delivered at 3000.

Most manufacturers have their cars deliver peak torque well beyond 4000 in the best interest of kitna deti hai, consequently, they have to be wrung hard to get some juice out of them and lose on the peppiness feeling.

Last edited by Torquedo : 21st August 2019 at 18:55.
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:26   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I was really looking forward to the AMT version of this car. I want a compact car with a lot of room for my 4 dogs and myself.

I sat inside the car and found that it has extremely good leg room for the front two rows.

To put it very simply, I was ready to buy it.

Sadly, I was told that there is no AMT variant and only manual is available :(

All through out the pre-launch campaign, we were being told that AMT was available. This is very disappointing.
I stumbled upon the attached while browsing on their Official website and it does mention as "Manual" Only.

Its disappointing to see new cars without an Auto in current environment, it seems they are targeting Tier IV and Rural markets only and depending upon volumes by
keeping the prices low.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRIBER_Brochure_Bookings_Open.pdf (3.49 MB, 350 views)
Old 23rd August 2019, 08:20   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
..........Will be good if a day comes, where cars can be sold only after their crash tests are done and people buy these cars, knowing what is the car's safety rating. 6 airbags and other safety features to be made mandatory from the base variant. Wait, now only we have managed to make reverse sensors and beeps for 80/120 kmph speed mandatory. We still have a long time, before such rules are implemented. Till then let us allow all these car manufacturers to exploit us. Rear seat screen will always be more popular and welcomed, than a rear side curtain airbag.

Safety, I am not sure how to put it in Indian context. No one cares!! I recently checked wagon r new and big one, and when I looked at the door, I felt, what I am doing here. Its not metal, its paper!! I had a celerio and drove over 128000kms, all over the place because of mileage and AMT, I used tell people, there is no safety in my car. My car is just wheels on a chair!! My celerio VXI AMT did not have an air bag or a radio or remote or music or speaker.. I paid 5.8 lakhs at that time! Zero safety other than seat belt.

No car is safe when you are driving at 80KMPH and suddenly see a parked lorry on track on a highway..

No car is safe when you see a big stone or concrete block used to support axle of lorry, used by drivers or cleaners while changing punctured tyre on a lorry.

No car is safe against dangerously parked vehicles on NH.

If you go by dabhaspet near nelamangala, Bangalore you can find 2ft by 2ft pot which is supposed to be concrete decorative pots containing big plant, which are kept on the divider of the road to look beautiful, fall off due to lorry hitting them or something and these pots become people killer.. I always watch out for them,especially during night time. Imagine a 2ft by 2ft pot on the high speed lane of highway, when you are at 120KMPH.

I met with an accident in Wagon a few years ago due to cement brick used by lorry people to show that vehicle is broken was kept on road near tumkur NH and later they forgot to remove that brick once lorry was repaired. We see all sorts of stuff like broken branches of tree, rocks, bricks, leaves etc kept around the broken vehicle to indicate vehicle is stationary and once vehicle gets ready, all those bricks etc become people killers..

Driving in India, you need good luck, good karma, good time and of course good car. The probability of getting into accidents is small BUT NOT ZERO. And if you travel a lot, the probability will get you one day, even though the number is small.

Now, I have stopped using celerio or small cars for inter city high way travel. I use innova, not crysta, which I pre assume that it is safer and better.

Regarding, triber, celerio, Wagon r, Baleno, i10, swift and all these vehicles, I feel are good only for city travel, and if on highway for DAY DRIVING at safe BRAKING speeds. No car is safe when you are in 100's and you change track and suddenly you see at dead lorry on track ahead of you. if not a dead lorry, a lorry driving at 10KMPH vs you at 100 or 120KMPH. God help us.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd August 2019 at 13:00. Reason: trimmed quoted post
pogo0120 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:56   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No car is safe when you are driving at 80KMPH and suddenly see a parked lorry on track on a highway..

No car is safe when you see a big stone or concrete block used to support axle of lorry, used by drivers or cleaners while changing punctured tyre on a lorry.

Now, I have stopped using celerio or small cars for inter city high way travel. I use innova, not crysta, which I pre assume that it is safer and better.
Absolutely agree, although , but the NCAP frontal impact test is done at 64km/h.

Safety with all these gizmos included is just a perception when you are on Indian roads and its a combination of lots of things not in your control.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:29   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding, triber, celerio, Wagon r, Baleno, i10, swift and all these vehicles, I feel are good only for city travel, and if on highway for DAY DRIVING at safe BRAKING speeds. No car is safe when you are in 100's and you change track and suddenly you see at dead lorry on track ahead of you. if not a dead lorry, a lorry driving at 10KMPH vs you at 100 or 120KMPH. God help us.
Absolutely agree on your points. I am not asking for a car that has safety features guaranteed to safeguard the passengers, when it is moving at a speed of 120 kmph during the accident. All that I am asking is that the government needs to intervene and put in some safety mandatories in cars, like it has been done in USA and few other European countries. ABS, ESC, VSM, Dual Airbags, Rear Camera, Rear Sensor, shatter resistant glass, defogger, rear washer must be available in all cars and in all variants of those cars.

We have seen car manufactures taking Indian customers lightly. The same model car being sold in other countries would have all basic features including six airbags available, but in India they would be either compromised or only available in the top variant. Why should rear washer and defogger even be an optional thing to be available in mid variants onwards? What safety is given by the manufacturer to safeguard his customer, when there is heavy rain and the rear glass is fully fogged?

What is the % of high-strength steels do our cars have? Just because it is being sold for lesser price (actually no price is lesser price and its purely an individuals perception if the price is less or not)? My wife uses a Kwid AMT and we strictly use it only for within city drive. I once drove it in Hyderabad ORR towards airport and at a speed of 80, I could feel that the car was being pushed to the left lane by the heavy breeze. I slowed down and sticked to a speed of 50 to safely reach home. Never I have taken our KWID in highway or ORR after that.

I agree that cars are not there for cruising at 120 kmph speed. If that's what the rule is, have some speed cut off installed in cars which ensures that a particular speed cannot be crossed. Now continuous beep is mandatory for 120 plus speeds. What if i reduce my car speed and go at 118-119. I am no longer annoyed by the beep.

Like @dadu had mentioned that crash test is done at 64 kmph, why cant the government mandate that all cars have to score a 3 or 4 out of 5 minimum, if the car has to be sold in India? Forget about the crash rating, the test itself is not mandatory. Once in a quarter a vehicle gets picked for the test. What is being done by these agencies in the remaining time?

Sorry for the slightly long post. I am of the view that most of the car manufacturers take Indian customer for a ride, when it comes to safety parameters. For them, giving us a nice 10 inch touchscreen would mask all missing safety features in a car. They have also built a perception, that safety features like 6 airbags are available only for big sized expensive SUVs or for the German Luxuries. Things are changing, albeit at a slow pace. I believe single/dual airbag(s) and reverse sensor are mandatory now along with the beep noise for 80/120 kmph. Hopefully will see that day soon, when all the mentioned safety features are available in the most basic variant of all cars. If I drive at 100+ speed and if something happens to me, it is my fault. If I drive at 50 speed (with seat belt on) and if something happens to me, that is definitely the fault of the car.

I rest my case!
MukundanMK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:07   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Safety, I am not sure how to put it in Indian context. No one cares!! I recently checked wagon r new and big one, and when I looked at the door, I felt, what I am doing here. Its not metal, its paper!! I had a celerio and drove over 128000kms, all over the place because of mileage and AMT, I used tell people, there is no safety in my car. My car is just wheels on a chair!! My celerio VXI AMT did not have an air bag or a radio or remote or music or speaker.. I paid 5.8 lakhs at that time! Zero safety other than seat belt.

God help us.
So true, i would also like to add, that, maintaining a slower speeds have always helped me reduce the probability of ending up in an accident. Now we cant help when some external factor effects you even at a very low speed, however, apart from that, many times, I have felt that, I have been able to escape a mishap from happening due to the slower speed of mine along with anticipatory driving. Many times, I have experienced, some vehicle overtaking me at a higher speed for the given road scenarios have ended up in an accident few meters ahead, in one of the case it ended up in a fatal one :-(.

Last edited by arighna.dutta : 23rd August 2019 at 14:14.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:57   #345
BHPian

Not all accidents occur due to hitting a lorry at 120kmph. In such a scenario, I agree thay not many cars will be able to protect its occupants.

However, in a scenario where the driver is able to react and reduce the speed of vehicle to below 64kmph (which is not exactly difficult since it takes just a fraction of second for that), a car with higher rating at 64kmph is sure to offer more protection than a car with 0 rating. This is true in case of roll overs too, what with additional airbags (side and curtain)

A car with 0 rating and an unstable body structure often crumbles around its occupants. Imagine a roll over or a collision at 64kmph with such a car which will deform itself and the occupants inside.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks