Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 10:48   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

@deehunk, I have not tried to impose my opinion or tailgate posts. If it appears such, that was not the intention.

As you suggested, members are free to share their views. That is what I was doing, sharing my TD experience and the opinion formed after it.

Despite all the segments first features, I still feel that car is not up there with the likes of Swifts or Neos.

If I feel a car is crap, that is my opinion. I should be allowed to say so. Forming an opinion, without test driving a car is something I wouldn't recommend.

Do not wish to go more off topic than this. Thanks.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 30th August 2019 at 10:51.
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 13:21   #437
Senior - BHPian

Another video shared on YouTube with informative details about the Infotainment System as well towards the end (courtesy Rishabh Chatterjee's YouTube channel).

AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 13:24   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
I think they want to launch Triber with low sticker price initially. This will create a buzz. Same tactics when Kwid was initially launched. Once people have the perception that this is the most value for money car they can get in the price range, they will add turbo version with higher price.
I think that's spot on.

The Tribers biggest USP as far as I can make out is practicality. Though they might show benchmark against the Swift's and the Dzires, I really feel the Tribers real competitors are the WagonR and the Celerio. Renault will be happy if they can sell half of what these two cars make.

I have a requirement of a flexible 6 seater in Kerala. The car will be used to chauffeur my parents around. I would be driving it maximum of a month in a year. Since they are averse to buying a used car which is my suggestion, this is the only new car that makes sense.

The other options being the WagonR, Celerio and Tiago.

It's a "small" car that can ferry 6 people ( we are not very well built) once a while over a distance of 50kms. And it has mostly all the basic features that I care for in the Rxl variant. The only addition I could think of is the plus two airbags from the top Variant and an armrest.

As far as "lack of power" is concerned, I'll be happier if my parents driver doesn't get to let loose the maniac within him on the roads of Kerala. I can manage with a moderately powered vehicle with a manual tranny once a while.

If the Triber clicks with my family, that will satiate my new car itch in the first half of next year. Then I can wait for the Nexon facelift in peace
400notout is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 23:25   #439
BHPian

I think the Triber is a genuine good attempt from Renault. After Kwid this is another good try. I like the fact that when most other companies like Ford, VW, Fiat and Chevy are either not serious or have already left our market, Renault is consistently trying to get a share of the pie even if not through their better cars like the Clio or Megane etc.

Since this car is mostly aimed at rusu areas, they need to build good dealer and service network to give Maruti and Hyundai a genuine competition. While this may not excite the enthusiasts amongst us, it has enough to catch fancy of someone who needs to carry 6 people from point A to B occasionally.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 23:59   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
I think that's spot on.

The Tribers biggest USP as far as I can make out is practicality.

If the Triber clicks with my family, that will satiate my new car itch in the first half of next year. Then I can wait for the Nexon facelift in peace
Absolutely! Renault wants prospective customers to perceive Triber as practical family car within the budget. It makes lots of sense in the practicality. Modularity of seats are really a plus. I'm in the market for a daily commuter with occasional highway run. Triber looks like a tempting package. I'm also eagerly waiting for Nexon facelift
K_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 11:40   #441
BHPian

So a family car with no steering mounted controls, no Isofix mounts and a 7 seater with 2 airbags. Epic! This will do really well as a commercial people mover and I won't be surprised to see a lot of Uber version of these.
Old 31st August 2019, 12:13   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
So a family car with no steering mounted controls, no Isofix mounts and a 7 seater with 2 airbags. Epic! This will do really well as a commercial people mover and I won't be surprised to see a lot of Uber version of these.
As Targeted Indian audience really care about these things. I can bet you thst 90% prospective buyers won't even know what Isofix mounts are.

I agree with the point of this doing well with Ola/Uber platform though.
Old 31st August 2019, 13:58   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
As Targeted Indian audience really care about these things. I can bet you thst 90% prospective buyers won't even know what Isofix mounts are.

I agree with the point of this doing well with Ola/Uber platform though.
Their targeted audience are the ones who care about space and numbers that can fit inside and not anything else.

OR

People carrier at a reasonable cost.

An Urban, aware buyer does not fit this bill.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 16:24   #444
BHPian

Just had a look at the triber at the Renault showroom.
I must say that it is a genuine effort from Renault to bring something that the market has never seen before. At 5"8',
I found the car very easy to get into and out of. Even the ground clearance seemed great. No complaints with the last row either- just a little less thigh support, but I wouldn't mind sitting at the back for 1-2 hour drives. However, was disappointed by the following:

1. The car seems flimsy. It's build was very similar to the kwid parked near it and when I opened the bonnet and boot, the finishing seemed poor. The welds felt like they were done at a roadside shop.

2. It is a bit difficult for new drivers to judge the short bonnet.

3. The fact that the kwid is a niggle prone product raises questions about this cars long term reliability.

What I feel is: If I need a 7 seater, then I would spend 3 lakhs more, and get the ertiga vxi. If I would want a hatchback, then I would buy a grand i10 NIOS for the same price or a wagonR for a little less.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 10:58   #445
BHPian

I don't know whether this has been asked/answered before, how come Renault skipped a media drive for such an important car (for Renault i.e.) or any new launch for that matter, cost saving measure?
Old 1st September 2019, 11:37   #446
BHPian

Autocar hasn't come out with a first drive yet. There walk thru video had promised August 29 as the day embargo ends.
Old 1st September 2019, 12:02   #447
Senior - BHPian

Even I was a little amused by how Renault handled the launch.

In these days, there is a teaser, then first look, then a walkaround and then a drive and whatnot.

I am sure every media portal has driven it and were waiting for the embargo to be lifted. But, by then, Tribers had already reached showrooms. Some showroom reps maybe didnt follow instructions and let people drive and film.

Now before media drives could be released, we had amateurs posting test drives on Youtube.

Wierd situation for Renault and the media.
ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 15:17   #448
Senior - BHPian

So, got a few details from a Sales Advisor in Dehradun.

1. They're including the Logistics and Handling Charges (of Rs.4K in all variants) in the Ex-showroom Price itself.

2. Basic Accessories Package costs Rs.5K, and includes Foot Mats, Mud Flaps, Body Cover and Front Bumper Corner Protector.

3. Standard Warranty is 2 years. 2+3 years Extended Warranty costs Rs.9,999/- and includes Road Side Assistance as well. It's valid for 5 years or 1 Lakh Kilometers, whichever is earlier.

As I wish to buy my vehicle for Mandi near Manali (Himachal Pradesh) and this dealership is in Dehradun (Uttarakhand) from where I basically belong, so they've just given Temporary Registration charges in the rough quote, attached below.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img20190901wa00102.jpg
AdityaDeane is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 19:36   #449
BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the vehicle for 15 minutes today, the top spec was 8.15 L on road Thane registration, considering the price, this is very decent package, showroom was full with customers, I really liked the exteriors of the car, the interior was bit disappointing, hard plastic every where.
Tyres were 14 inch alloys which did somewhat ok on rough patches, braking and handing was good, suspension is stiff but helps in maintaining stability and minimizing body roll,
No steering controls at all, touch screen and audio was strictly ok, offers 4 airbags, overall a vfm package if you need a people mover at a decent price.
Slush_Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 20:11   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Even I was a little amused by how Renault handled the launch.

Now before media drives could be released, we had amateurs posting test drives on Youtube.

Wierd situation for Renault and the media.
They revealed too much during unveiling event, only thing that was left out before the launch was a TD by experts. The media drives should have happened before the launch date, may be the showroom people took this task to themselves and posted videos of their experience. If you remember, they did a blunder before the launch of Captur too. This vehicle will only suit sedate drivers, no youngster or women would like to own this vehicle. The taxi operators may like it if the vehicle is fuel efficient.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed