Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 12:09   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
It goes also to say that nobody bought the GO and it's + version because it had the 1.2L engine ! So engine alone cannot sell a badly packaged car .. where as there is a better chance of success for very well packaged vehicle with a average engine ..
Average engine yes, but the one in Triber is below average. Atleast for the purpose that triber is built for, 1.0L is definitely not going to be enough.

Success of a car depends on a lot of factors other then "THE CAR" . Most of the cars today are very well packaged and comes with decent engine(Captur, Kicks,Jazz,Harrier) but haven't succeeded.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:00   #557
BHPian

I test drove the car couple of days ago at the Renault showroom near mahadevpura. I like the fit and finish of the car. The plastics are hard but are well put together and the colours and the material used are really pleasing. Storage space is awesome too. Under seat tray, second glove box, a storage box under the hand brakes, space to keep two phones near the music system etc are much appreciated.

I drove the car on bad roads as well as on a relatively empty ring road. The car has decent level of pick up for a city car. It will definitely keep up with traffic even with 5 adults on board, with AC. But on the highway, don't think you will reach anywhere in a hurry. The rolling acceleration in 3rd gear to regain highway speeds, is not going to be adequate.

The split middle row seat (the 60 part of the 60:40) doesn't fold all the way. It doesn't tumble either. Irrespective of this fact, there is still enough loading space in the back, with the 3rd row removed. The loading bay is low too. I routinely carry my telescopes outside the city when I go camping etc and I feel this is perfect for me. Also, its not cumbersome (clutch/steering, take u turns, find parking etc) within the city, if I compare it with other 7 seaters

My daily driver is a Tjet. I have had a scorpio for a lac kms besides other cars. I would say that this car is brilliant, if you keep your expectations commensurate with the money you are paying.

They should have given an armrest for the driver, as well as height adjustment for the driver seat.

Personally, if they had an option for captain seats in the second row, I would be thrilled to bits :-)

Edit: don't go by what is normally said of 3 cylinder engines - puny engine, low horse power, NVH etc etc. Drive around with your normal load of passengers and then decide for yourself. Its not as bad as it looks on paper, at all. And I am saying this after driving 80000 kms on my Tjet, which has a decent enough engine I suppose.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2019 at 16:42. Reason: typo
ak916 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 11:38   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Average engine yes, but the one in Triber is below average. Atleast for the purpose that triber is built for, 1.0L is definitely not going to be enough.

Success of a car depends on a lot of factors other then "THE CAR" . Most of the cars today are very well packaged and comes with decent engine(Captur, Kicks,Jazz,Harrier) but haven't succeeded.

The gasoline engine in polo is also 1 litre one with exactly same power / torque rating . Doesn't mean both the engines are good! But my point is if a 7-8 lakh polo can have it why not Triber which is lesser priced ? Also the polo is 80-90 kg heavier
Old 3rd October 2019, 12:12   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
The gasoline engine in polo is also 1 litre one with exactly same power / torque rating . Doesn't mean both the engines are good! But my point is if a 7-8 lakh polo can have it why not Triber which is lesser priced ? Also the polo is 80-90 kg heavier
Polo is a 5 seater low slung hatchback, not meant to carry more people. 1.0L in Polo has not been received well here in Team BHP(nor in market) anyway and has been bashed pretty well. Based on my driving experience with Triber, I could clearly see it struggle with load, the effect will be pronounced on highway.

A 1.4L 88HP diesel mill on Innova crysta will do the duty since costlier Corolla gets it anyway, however majority would not buy as purpose of Innova is different.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 15:53   #560
BHPian

I took delivery of my Triber RXL today!

After having sold my Elantra, I was driving my wife's Grand i10 automatic along with my old 1989 ambassador. But after a change of job, my wife needed the i10 everyday. While the ambassador can be used as a daily drive (after all it is my favorite car), the lack of power steering, power brakes, power windows, AC et al do make it a trifle less fit for today's spoilt me! So it was car hunting time. But this time I was like an old dog not very keen to fetch the bone!

I first looked around for 2nd hand cars, but I felt that the asking prices were to high for what was being offered. Are we in a slowdown? None of the 2nd hand dealerships seemed to think so. In fact, all were busy on Whatsapp! Having treat this twice path before, somehow the vibes this time were not there. From Rajajinagar to Domlur, Banashankari to Mysore Road my net was wide. But the fish were overpriced and sick looking. Most even smelt bad!

I walked into the Renault showroom and test drove the Triber. Much has been said about the puny engine. Except for the 1st gear, where it doesn't move without throttle input, everything about this engine was fine with me. I then test-drove it on NICE road (an access controlled road in Bangalore) and it performed more than adequately with 3 people on board and the AC on. I will also be having occasional runs to my farm, and this vehicle has very large boot space after removing the 2 seats at the back. All in all, it is a genuine attempt by Renault to offer something different. I was hooked. And I booked. Given that I don't care about features, I chose the RXL variant. This lacks rear power windows and no electric adjustable ORVMs. But has most other features that I wanted.

Here are some pics

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img20191003wa0018.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img20191003wa0016.jpeg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-img20191003wa0020.jpg

Also find a pic of my old reliable

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-amby.jpg

I didn't want to wait for the AMT as we already have the i10 with a proper AT. The turbo version that's to come later also doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited by SmartCat : 3rd October 2019 at 21:31. Reason: Fixed images
carZest is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:32   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Congratulations! Probably the very first Triber in the forum. Do start your Ownership Review and P.M. me the link, I'll be following it closely for sure. Drive safe and enjoy with your Tribe...
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 16:47   #562
BHPian

Quote:

I didn't want to wait for the AMT as we already have the i10 with a proper AT. The turbo version that's to come later also doesn't appeal to me.
I am green with envy. Congratulations !!!!!

I am eagerly waiting for the AMT. Turbo or non turbo. I will be using it for highway runs with my dogs on board.

I did not hear that they are going to come up with a turbo engine!! Where did you get this information?

I like this car so much, I would kick myself when the AMT comes out and I did not get it. This is what is stopping me from getting the automatic.

Regards

Last edited by rrnsss : 3rd October 2019 at 16:57.
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:18   #563
BHPian

Quote:
I was about to ask the forum if any one did buy triber? Well, got it answered before asking.. Congrats!!

Which show room did you buy from? Mysore road?
Did they allow you to do a PDI before registration?

Regarding car driving and its behavior, eagerly waiting for your thoughts and experiences.. I am still considering AMT version, having cancelled AMT wagon R.
pogo0120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:26   #564
BHPian

Speed sensing door lock and unlock is listed as features. However the test drive car did not lock even at 70 kph. Could someone confirm if this feature is present? The demo car was top end and the dealer sales agent mentioned that it is only available in Duster.
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:31   #565
BHPian

Thanks Aditya, rrnsss and pogo0120.

I heard that either the same 1l but with a turbo, or a 1.2l is going to make it to the engine bay. My requirement was immediate and I was OK with the current engine.I bought the car at Renault JP Nagar. I could do a PDI 2 days before delivery. However, with a new launch there is only that much that you can do.

I drove for 20-30 kms today and can confirm the door lock feature works fine. Door unlock am not sure, let me observe this.

I think if one goes through the last few posts, the use cases that one observes are "telescopes for camping", "dogs" and "farm visits". Use cases such as these are what I feel the Triber addresses. Not necessarily a conventional 7-seater use case, but again maybe it does. The market will decide.
carZest is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:49   #566
Senior - BHPian

^^^
If you are fine with the Amby's 1.5L ancient B series, any modern engine should be fine.

How would you compare the Tribber with the Maruti Van? wrt. bulky (not heavy) luggage? Turning circle? Ease of parking.

How is the AC? Headlights? Passenger side wiper arc? (My three bugbears with the Duster). (Actually I have a very major problem with Renault, but that is not for this thread).

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 3rd October 2019 at 20:56.
Old 3rd October 2019, 20:58   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
If you are fine with the Amby's 1.5L ancient B series, any modern engine should be fine.

How would you compare the Tribber with the Maruti Van?

Regards
Sutripta
With due respect sir, I have owned two 1.8l petrol Elantras successively which were very very good 'performers'. And have owned a Santro, i10 and i10 kappa and currently a grand i10 which had/have 'modern' engines. Compared to these cars, the 1st gear and reverse gear lack torque, but that's about it.
carZest is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 21:06   #568
Senior - BHPian

^^^
You don't find the Ambassador 'undriveable', don't scoff at it. That is what I was referring to.

My preferred city car is a 18 year old M800!

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th October 2019, 16:21   #569
BHPian

Updates
I changed the stock Ceat tyres to Yokohama Earth-1. Went with the same size (165/80R14) as I feel that size is adequate for the power on offer. Also, this is my 1st Renault after 14+ years with Hyundai, so didn't want to take a chance with the suspension warranty by upsizing. With Hyundai, I even run upsizes having error > 2%! Anyway, there is a better feel with these new tyres.

Someone has already mentioned it on this thread - the suspension is tuned very well for bad roads. However, the steering feel is unusually calibrated. It is super light at parking speeds, and when the car rolls it weighs up decently. While one expects a light steering (-ie- having enough power assist) at parking speeds, this is unusually light. But am not complaining as it makes parking and backing up easy!

I think after 2 days my main positives are the sheer amount of real estate available for this price and the way it handles bad roads. Comfortable driving position, meaty steering wheel, decent sounding head unit (the RXL comes with only front speakers that will be changed tomorrow) and decent pickup and AC despite the 1 liter engine are some other positives. The main negative is that the interior build quality is strictly average, with the ignition key slot, map light and certain other parts very clearly built to a cost. Hyundai clearly has me spoilt here. Also, the gear shifter has a slight vagueness leaving you wondering sometimes which slot it is in! Add the 3-pot vibration and the gear shifter is one thing that I don't like much.
carZest is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 17:05   #570
BHPian

I found the map lights built too flimsy too. But these are small things that can be overlooked. How is the throw of the rear AC? What is the maximum comfortable cruising speed on this with AC on?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks