Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 15:37   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Renault Triber India launch on August 28th.

Bookings for the compact seven-seater will begin on August 17; to come with a 72hp, 1.0-litre petrol engine.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20190813031226_renaulttriberfronblue.jpg

Quote:
All variants will come standard with three-point seat belts on all rows, ABS, reverse parking sensors and two airbags, though range-topping versions will get a front-side airbag too.

At launch, the Triber will be available with a single engine-gearbox option – a 1.0-litre petrol engine that makes 72hp and 96Nm of peak torque, which sends power to the front wheels via a 5-speed manual transmission, though a 5-speed AMT is also expected.

There’s a turbo-petrol engine option that’s expected to launch later.
Production starts,

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-eb16jbvuai5ahn.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th August 2019 at 16:06.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 18:26   #287
Senior - BHPian

Why all companies have the obsession for three-cylinder engines? What is the advantage it has over four-cylinder engines apart from cost? I don't think cost difference is more than 10-15 K (in this case of 1.0 Liter engine) for any OEM, correct me if I am wrong. With proper four-cylinder engine you get better drive for sure. Can experts throw some light here?

Coming back to the car, Triber looks really cool. Renault should have come up with 1.2 Liter, four-cylinder engine, it would have performed much better for the car. I read somewhere that price of this car starts at 4.4 Lacs, is it true? That would be really awesome price. I would buy this car and use it mainly as a 5 seater with very large boot available to use for weekend trips.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:42   #288
Senior - BHPian

The frictional loss is lesser in 3-cylinder engines resulting in higher fuel efficiency compared to a 4-cylinder engine. This was explained in a simple way by a bhpian sunil 8089 a decade ago. In my experience, have seen that 1.2L TDI 3-cylinder Skoda Fabia was more or less on par with 1.6L TDI 4-cylinder Rapid at higher rpm.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...er-engine.html (Car with four cylinder engine or three cylinder engine?)

Last edited by deehunk : 13th August 2019 at 20:44.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 05:56   #289
BHPian

Just my thought, but considering the space constraint both transversely as well as in width of the engine bay, there might be neither space to accomodate the extra cylinder, nor an engine with a larger bore. However, they could have increased the stroke by a couple of CM to gain some additional cc advantage though I agree bore increase leads to exponential cc increase ( considering the formula for volume pi.r.r.h).

However additional testing would have been required on the engine, however it could have been worth a try so as to atleast show decent specs on paper.

Last edited by racer_ash : 14th August 2019 at 05:59.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:49   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Why all companies have the obsession for three-cylinder engines? What is the advantage it has over four-cylinder engines apart from cost? I don't think cost difference is more than 10-15 K (in this case of 1.0 Liter engine) for any OEM, correct me if I am wrong. With proper four-cylinder engine you get better drive for sure. Can experts throw some light here?
I'm afraid its cost and cost only. Nothing else. Coming to an actual number like you quoted (10-15k) saved per engine will not be that straight forward for us outsiders. Only Renault (and others) will know that.

I feel it will be much more than 10-15k in case of an MPFI engine considering the valves, injectors, electronic sensors and of course the steel, aluminium and some titanium required for that extra cylinder. In the volume segment with slim margins - even 10k per car equates to a large number (if) when the car sells in thousands.

The comparison between 3 & 4 cyl engines is a decade old debate & discussed literally in tonnes of messages on our forum. You can look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
However, they could have increased the stroke by a couple of CM to gain some additional cc advantage though I agree bore increase leads to exponential cc increase ( considering the formula for volume pi.r.r.h).
First of all, I think a <1000cc engine gets a lower excise duty slab than a <1200cc one and so on. Which means keeping the cc under 1k is critical for cost.
I feel Renault would have tried of course. I really hope for Renault's benefits that they did all possible design tests, validated possible combinations of power, reliability, size and everything else including cost when coming to the final product that got approved.

Thinking about your suggestion of stroke - I feel that would still mean "larger explosion" inside each chamber & would mean stronger block & heads would be required, potentially even shifting to cast iron if the current design margins of tolerance are already tight. That would mean heavier and costlier engine again & the extra power would be used to haul the engine's own extra weight also. Catch 22!

====
Coming to the looks - I like how they have proportioned the car within its limits & surey budget constraints. Won't be a surprise if it gets the design of the year award.

However - I feel the wheels are simply too small. It looks disproportionately undertyred. Especially for a potential 7 seater. Should have had a size larger. That would also make it look much better than right now.

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th August 2019 at 10:08.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 10:57   #291
BHPian

Quote:
- I feel the wheels are simply too small. It looks disproportionately undertyred. Especially for a potential 7 seater. Should have had a size larger. That would also make it look much better than right now.
Even I felt the same initially but later on I checked they are using 15 inches wheel size which is decent according to me.
Old 14th August 2019, 11:18   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Even I felt the same initially but later on I checked they are using 15 inches wheel size which is decent according to me.
In one of the reviews, there was a mention that the top spec variants have 16 inches wheel.

Is there any review or atleast walk through of the Triber with AMT? Heard it will be available in the Top 2 variants, out of 4.
Also do we know if the engine is BS4 or BS6 compliant?

Last edited by MukundanMK : 14th August 2019 at 11:19.
MukundanMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 11:20   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
In one of the reviews, there was a mention that the top spec variants have 16 inches wheel.

Is there any review or atleast walk through of the Triber with AMT? Heard it will be available in the Top 2 variants, out of 4.
Top spec variant has 15 inch wheels. AMT Triber is not even production ready, will be launched most probably in first quarter of 2020 along with turbo charged engine.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:11   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
However - I feel the wheels are simply too small. It looks disproportionately undertyred. Especially for a potential 7 seater. Should have had a size larger. That would also make it look much better than right now.
Quote:
I think what Reinhard meant by small tyres is that they're extremely thin for the general proportions of the car, almost bike tyre like. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:19   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I think what Reinhard meant by small tyres is that they're extremely thin for the general proportions of the car, almost bike tyre like. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes - both actually. They are small in diameter & they are very narrow on patch surface also. For a people carrier with capacity upto 7 - i feel they need to be wider too for better grip & braking stability.
Old 14th August 2019, 13:12   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Yes - both actually. They are small in diameter & they are very narrow on patch surface also. For a people carrier with capacity upto 7 - i feel they need to be wider too for better grip & braking stability.
For everyone's reference, these are the tyre specs for the Top End Variant.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-triber-tyre-spec.jpg
Highh5 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 13:49   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For everyone's reference, these are the tyre specs for the Top End Variant.

Attachment 1905017
Thats good specification! Quite on par or even better than the cars that it intends to compete with.
But will that make it to the showrooms in India? I'll hold till the car specifications are out & car hits the dealerships.

In the previews we have seen so far, the wheels and tyres certainly seemed different & smaller.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:11   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Top spec variant has 15 inch wheels. AMT Triber is not even production ready, will be launched most probably in first quarter of 2020 along with turbo charged engine.

Well as per news report on Moneycontrol.com "Renault has already begun dispatching the Triber across various dealerships in India....Renault has equipped the Triber with a 1.0-litre Energy Dual VVT 3-cylinder petrol engine which makes 72PS of maximum power and 96Nm of peak torque. It is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, with an Easy-R AMT available as an option."
Sources- Link

Real reason to limit the size of the wheels is to balance the cost and ride quality. Remember Triber is build to a cost. Generally smaller rims are usually more quieter and less harsh have better NVH than larger wheels. But this can all depend on the brand and type of tyre and car.
tj123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 14:23   #299
BHPian

I am very very impressed with the packaging of the Triber. It meets the size and engine capacity requirements for lower taxes, is a reasonable 7 seater and has quite a lot of bells and whistles for its expected price. It also looks pretty neat. The front is particularly good looking and it doesnt feel too disproportionate from any angle. Space wise too, its a winner for the class it will compete against. Safety wise I hear a minimum of 2 airbags and that is a good thing. And movable headrests for the third row!!! Woah. Thats impressive.

Also reliability wise, I don't think it should be a problem unless a lot of engine components are new compared to the Kwid 1.0. Ofcourse I wont comment on the turbocharged engine that will come later since I think it will be a first for Renault in India.

With practicality, price and reliability sorted, its only a matter of pricing this well. And I sincerely hope Renault surprises us and if they do, I am sure this will be a car that rings the cash register for atleast a couple of years before the competition catches up.

Talking of competition, is there any other car in the pipeline that is a direct competition to the Triber?

Last edited by racer_ash : 14th August 2019 at 14:25.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 13:52   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
....Renault has equipped the Triber with a 1.0-litre Energy Dual VVT 3-cylinder petrol engine which makes 72PS of maximum power and 96Nm of peak torque. It is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, with an Easy-R AMT available as an option."
With a 7 seater in mind, the specs look under-powered, atleast they could have tuned the torque to 110 Nm for easier pulling.

Would definitely like to see the feedback on a fully loaded Triber climbing steep ghats...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed