Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2019, 20:55   #451
BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This vehicle will only suit sedate drivers, no youngster or women would like to own this vehicle. The taxi operators may like it if the vehicle is fuel efficient.
Strong statements there. The car looks stunning and has a decent enough engine than so many other cars.

Ever driven an i20? If that overweight car powered by a weak 1.2 L engine can be sold to and bought by so many young people and women , this car will have no problems selling, especially not at the price range it's launched at.

Most people in India don't know or bother about how much power their cars engine makes.
Ragavsr is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 23:31   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Ever driven an i20? If that overweight car powered by a weak 1.2 L engine can be sold to and bought by so many young people and women , this car will have no problems selling, especially not at the price range it's launched at.

Most people in India don't know or bother about how much power their cars engine makes.
I have gradually upgraded my segments in a decade and have a feel of all the cars launched from 2005. My statement was based on my experience, you will see it in the coming days. Hyundai makes glamorous cars, people fall for its looks. Renault has shifted from its segment of muscular and powerful cars. Indianisation of a French car company needs volumes, without a diesel engine, it is a matter of time before Maruti seals this segment with a 7 seater Wagon-R.
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:08   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
So a family car with no steering mounted controls, no Isofix mounts and a 7 seater with 2 airbags. Epic! This will do really well as a commercial people mover and I won't be surprised to see a lot of Uber version of these.
ISOFIX: It is very difficult to find an ISOFIX seat in India. Some can be imported, and they cost a bomb. So almost pointless as of now.

Airbags: Top variant has 4 airbags. And Ertiga, thish costs 50% more, has only 2 (like any other Maruti).

It amazes me how our expectations have no limits. Everything comes at a cost. For the price range of 5 to 6.5 lakh, Triber is excellent value for money. At this price point, complaining about hard plastics, finishing quality is unfair IMHO. Yes, the car is not for everyone (which one is?). I would get this car in an instant if they launch an automatic variant.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 2nd September 2019 at 09:15.
pseudo_coder is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 10:32   #454
BHPian

I had driven this car a couple of weeks ago, loaded with 7 people. If we were okay with the performance of the tin cans from Maruti with 800cc engines hauling 5 people, we may be happy with the Triber. It did just fine, ferrying 7 people on regular roads. That said, this would be a rare-use case as we all know. It was a short drive in the late nigh, so reserving further opinions till I take a detailed test drive.

The car feels much solid compared to the new generation swift that I own. The doors feel heavier than Swift and the interior plastics are at par. At this price point, I absolutely have no complaints. At 4.95 ex-showroom price, this is a steal.

The car looks smart and well proportioned from all angles:

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-front-quarter.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-rear-view.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-sideview.jpg

The cockpit looks clean, front seats are set high and provides just enough support. May be I'm spoilt by the wonderful seats in the new Swift. The fabric padding in the doorpad is nicely done.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-front-seats.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-doorpad.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-dashboard.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-ac.jpg

The gear-lever boot is truck-ish large, and is an eyesore in an otherwise well laid out cabin.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-gearlever.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-smartkey.jpg

There's not much space to rest your left foot

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-pedals.jpg

Rear seats are perched even higher and provides good underthigh support. The door open really wide. With seats set to my driving position (I'm 5'11 and has a relaxed posture), I had enough legroom in the middle row.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-rear-seat-1.jpg

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-rear-seat-2.jpg

The boot without 3rd row seats is huge. What you see in there are the unpacked flexi- seats .

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-boot-seats.jpg

I didn't validate, however I think the 3rd row belts don't have self-retracting mechanism

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-3rd-row-seatbelt.jpg
xjosephjacob is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:19   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
I didn't validate, however I think the 3rd row belts don't have self-retracting mechanism
You have rightly noticed, and it was explained during the launch as well as in Previews, that due to lack of space in the D-Pillar, the 3rd row seatbelts are not ELR or Self-Retracting Type, but simple ones to provide safety of 3 point seat belts and avoid using ELR Mechanism. This helped save cost as well as provided a way to overcome the lack of attaching an ELR Type Seatbelt.

I would appreciate Renault for it, as other manufacturers may just have provided a 2-Point Lap Belt (like in my Nano's rear seat) and got their hands off of the situation, but they did a right thing by even providing the non-ELR type seatbelts in the last row.
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 13:48   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
.., would appreciate Renault for it, as other manufacturers may just have provided a 2-Point Lap Belt (like in my Nano's rear seat) and got their hands off of the situation, but they did a right thing by even providing the non-ELR type seatbelts in the last row.

Appreciate Renault for providing those seat belts at all, but the reason I reckon is that lap belts won't go with the modularity of the third row. Note that the second row mid passenger gets only a lap belt.
2cents is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:31   #457
BHPian

Here is a driving impression from YouTube. The car has one unique feature. There is no request sensor on door, but as you approach the car with smart card in pocket, the car unlocks automatically and locks when you move away from it.
This is not present in cars costing twice or thrice Ford are you watching?

This will sell like hot cakes with a more powerful engine. It is also a good alternative in current form as a 5 seater with XL boot.
Seven people + weak engine doesn't work IMO.
Overall a very good product from Renault. Indian market brings out the best from eccentric French manufacturer!!

PraNeel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:36   #458
Senior - BHPian

A few specs comparison:

The wheelbase is 2636 mm. Maruti baleno(4m length)-2520 mm; i10 nios- 2450. Ertiga-2740; those wanting only a 5 seater can still buy the Triber for it's space & ride package.

Power and torque per ton for Ertiga petrol: 76 and 10.5 Nm; Triber: 75 and 10.1 Nm.
ramzsys is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:05   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have gradually upgraded my segments in a decade and have a feel of all the cars launched from 2005. My statement was based on my experience, you will see it in the coming days. Hyundai makes glamorous cars, people fall for its looks. Renault has shifted from its segment of muscular and powerful cars. Indianisation of a French car company needs volumes, without a diesel engine, it is a matter of time before Maruti seals this segment with a 7 seater Wagon-R.
Well it is always a matter of time for MS to "steal" any segment. The Brezza was late to the party sells only Diesel, still rules the charts. So I don't get your point here.

Credit where it's due, Renault has done well to make a "cheap compact MPV" appealing in these SUV crazed times.
400notout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:20   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
A few specs comparison:

Power and torque per ton for Ertiga petrol: 76 and 10.5 Nm; Triber: 75 and 10.1 Nm.
If this really is the case, then I guess Renault has a clear winner in their hands. At almost 2/3rd the cost of an Ertiga ZXi and with mostly similar features and amazingly carved out interior space, if one can have an almost as powerful vehicle which can occasionally seat 7 (when needed desperately) and still be fractionally more frugal, it will be a steal deal for our budget conscious Indian families when parents and siblings come in for holidays once a year in Summers or Winters.

Yes it's not something for cabbies or joint families who need to haul everyone very frequently, they'll still prefer Ertiga or other bigger spacious and probably Diesel powered MPVs over this, but for small nuclear families it's an awesome investment proposition. I'm sure many will agree with me on that...
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:45   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
If this really is the case, then I guess Renault has a clear winner in their hands.
It's the specs of the first gen Ertiga with the 1.4 petrol motor.

If the insider info is right, the turbo petrol model (if launched for BS6) would be the one to buy to address the power/torque concerns.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:06   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the specs of the first gen Ertiga with the 1.4 petrol motor.

If the insider info is right, the turbo petrol model (if launched for BS6) would be the one to buy to address the power/torque concerns.
But even the previous Gen Ertiga sold in vast numbers and was known to be swift enough even with a full house, and not very lethargic. So, Triber should be a good hauler as well. I lay my point to rest with this!
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 08:35   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Credit where it's due, Renault has done well to make a "cheap compact MPV" appealing in these SUV crazed times.
I too appreciate Renault's effort to create a new segment, but the weak links in this design are slimmer seats with insufficient cushioning for more than average weight people. The pedal positions are very close and space inside the well is not generous for big people. Thanks to xjosephjacob for his close observations. A slim Indian nuclear family will be happy with this car.

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd September 2019 at 08:37.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:06   #464
BHPian

Quote:
A few specs comparison:

This ratio is for un-laden vehicle. Add 500kg weight of 7 passengers and this ratio will hugely turn in Ertiga's favour. But then again, Ertiga is 40-50% more costly.
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:23   #465
BHPian

I think this will be the New Omni for India. I see a lot of small businesses, Family of 6 ( 2 Grandparents, 2 Adults, 2 kids ) love this vehicle. The well proportionate looks, the amount of Flexibility, the pricing is just mind blowing. I am sure it will have enough power to haul a couple or a family of four during highway runs

Great Execution, Renault !! Hope the prices are in check post BS 6 implementation
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks