Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 12:17   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Here's the CNB review.

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/premiu...from=home-auto.

Quoting important bits from the article,

Quote:

Engine and Performance

I am actually quiote impressed with this engine. I shall explain why. The engine is actually surprisingly peppy, and does make a lot of noise as it gets going - typical of a 3 pot. Sound insulation is very good though, so the minute you put your windows up, you cannot hear it as much and so it won't bother you. The engine is not powerful, but neither is it sluggish. See what Renault is going for here is to offer an engine that does the job - and that it does - ably and comfortably.

How's it with 7 people on board?

So the car can move - but how is it when you load it up? After all that is the big USP of the car - space for people and things! So we got some help from Vikrant from Carwale, and his team so we could put 7 people in, and the character does not change dramatically at all. And certainly not as I had expected. The Triber still moves with a similar agility and response, which I have to say, is a huge plus. And a huge relief!

Ride and Handling

I am also surprised by the lack of stiffness in the overall handling of the car. I don't expect an MPV to be sporty, and yet the cornering isnt what you expect from Renault. Given the kind of usage that the company expects of this car, I am not too worried about this though. It was raining hard a few times during my drive, so I did get to try the car's handling and performance in wet and dry conditions. While handling isn't as precise as I would have liked, ride quality is really great - and that is true in every row of this car.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 13:06   #512
Senior - BHPian

With the embargo off, more reviews are coming in. This might be the next big thing for Renault considering the practicality it offers & doesn't really look cheap per say. The engine capability remains questionable while carrying full load but should be par for course. In this segment performance is barely a criteria. If it can ferry a large family fairly comfortably, this should appeal to quite a few folks.

Motoroctane:

Zigwheels:

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th September 2019 at 13:20.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:33   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Embargo lifted - First Drive Review:
In the review, they mentioned about optional 15" wheels. However when I asked the sales person, he said it is only 14" alloys as an option.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2019 at 15:22. Reason: video tag removed from the quote box
Vians is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:41   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vians View Post
In the review, they mentioned about optional 15" wheels. However when I asked the sales person, he said it is only 14" alloys as an option.
Took me by surprise too. If optional alloy wheel is 15inch, the tyres would have to be changed as well, making it an expensive affair. The hubcap design(of the top end) is one among the best in Industry and 70% folks would easily pass this on as an alloy wheel.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:32   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What stumps me is, having an embargo on reviews when the cars are actually being delivered to customers already. The car is available to see in person since a month now. Whats the use of holding back reviews at this juncture? Doesn't it seem redundant?
No buddy. Embargo is not for concerns on product reveal (unless media drive happens way earlier than launch), it is for giving every media publication a level playing field.

Except for Team-Bhp, almost everyone else is in a race to bring out their reviews first and get the maximum views. Manufacturers can't afford to host them all on a single day, hence the media events are conducted over multiple days with an embargo in place not to publish anything till everyone gets a chance.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:39   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Motoroctane:
Did I just hear turbocharger?

Initially I thought I mis-heard him, so I replayed that part again.
And yes, he says it a couple of times that the engine is turbocharged and things like variable geometry.

I'm sure he has mistaken the variable valve timing for variable geometry.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th September 2019 at 21:49. Reason: Removed video from quote as it causes inconvenience to mobile users.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:59   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post

And yes, he says it a couple of times that the engine is turbocharged and things like variable geometry.

Per ACI, turbo petrol engine is in the pipeline.
Old 18th September 2019, 17:04   #518
BHPian

Quote:

Sadly, this is what passes for an "expert review" and tens of thousands of views on the channel. He even says..He did the research and the Turbo charger has a different state of tune as compared to Cleo !!!!
rrnsss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:23   #519
Senior - BHPian

Here is the link to the Car & Bike review

tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 23:55   #520

The reviews are quite nice, the engine is exceeding expectations however the mileage as reported by the reviewers was around 12-13 in Goa, I feel a 1 litre engine should be more fuel efficient, anything below 15 is unacceptable,as the ARAI claimed mileage is 20.2 kmpl.

What do you people think?

And the missing steering wheel controls are quite a miss ,is there any chance we can fit the captur steering mounted media controls on the Triber ? Or any other car may be from the Renault or Nissan lineup.
Old 19th September 2019, 23:58   #521
BHPian

How will Triber be for someone who is graduating from say a Alto, Spark or Wagon R. The way this engine is being bashed right now seems a little exaggerated to me. Some people are not looking at motor sports type of performance. They just need a car that can take them from point A to B. I haven't yet driven the car but I think it can definitely deliver acceptable performance, something similar to the cars I have mentioned above.

I so wish they would have plonked a 1.2 even if that meant increasing 50k for each variant plus add some missing features like steering controls etc. There wouldn't be much left to bash in the car then.
AKTRACK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 01:10   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
How will Triber be for someone who is graduating from say a Alto.
I am thinking of replacing my Alto (F8D) with a Triber. I agree that the engine is not an issue for me as the engine response is as good (or bad) as Alto. For the added benefit of hauling 7 adults, a Triber becomes priceless. The second and third gear in Triber was much more forgiving that my Alto.
Vians is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 07:32   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Triber First Drive - PD review,

Old 20th September 2019, 09:27   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably. ACI did mention upcoming turbo petrol , so might be Renault would have mentioned this during their presentation to journos & MotorOctane reporter mixed it up. But yeah goes on to show the sort of proof-reading happening before publishing these videos. In a race to publish first and get more views quality levels are going down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahill View Post
The reviews are quite nice, the engine is exceeding expectations however the mileage as reported by the reviewers was around 12-13 in Goa, I feel a 1 litre engine should be more fuel efficient, anything below 15 is unacceptable,as the ARAI claimed mileage is 20.2 kmpl.

What do you people think?
Well, that's usual. My Jazz has an ARAI rating of 19+ kmpl but all I get is 11-12 in city. So 12-13 in winding roads of Goa, with the sort of thrashing journos would be giving to test the car, is decent enough

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd September 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Corrected publication name and removed OT. Thanks.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 14:43   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
With the embargo off, more reviews are coming in. This might be the next big thing for Renault considering the practicality it offers & doesn't really look cheap per say. The engine capability remains questionable while carrying full load but should be par for course. In this segment performance is barely a criteria. If it can ferry a large family fairly comfortably, this should appeal to quite a few folks.
I do agree and feel that Triber is slowly gaining traction for the sheer value and practicality it offers. In India "kitna Leti hain"(how many it carries) is as much important as " kitna deti hain". It is this premise toyota understands and introduced Qualis instead of high end cars. There is enormous market for people mover. I am liking the looks of Triber and it is really innovative of REnault for the amazing space management.

Last edited by bullock-Car : 20th September 2019 at 14:47. Reason: brevity
Closed Thread

Most Viewed