Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 22:40   #541
BHPian

Re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Dealership is 6-7 hours away
This in itself should settle your criteria. If you can afford that Ertiga for which service is 2-3 kms away, there is just no point in getting a vehicle for which you need to travel 7 hours for a service. Just doesnt make sense however good the product is.
Renault sevice isnt that great anyways

Last edited by vamsi2390 : 24th September 2019 at 22:41.
vamsi2390 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 23:22   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
The Sales Executive told me that they will be able to return the whole amount, but they will deduct Rs.1000 and they will refund the rest.
With all due respect, I really don’t see an issue here as long as they told this to you before accepting the booking, which as per my inference from your post they very well did. All your other points regarding accessibility and reliability of ASS are certainly valid. And needless to say, if budget is not a constraint Ertiga is a segment above Triber in every aspect and it is a no brainer choice .
AVL500 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 03:40   #543
Senior - BHPian

Felt sad reading about the engine but otherwise I just popped in here to congratulate Renault on an otherwise very well designed car - its a BRILLIANT effort as opposed to the half-hearted updates on Duster (8 year old model now?) or Kaptur (very duster like feeling from the inside). I have seen a couple of cars on the road in Gurgaon and every time, I felt like staring.

I can't believe Maruti is launching the S-presso when cars like Triber have been launched.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 06:12   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long time, a car launch that made me feel, 'Well, this is a good package and worth the money'. Great effort from Renault. Hope this does well. The engine maybe a downside , but considering the use case of the vehicle, I think it is acceptable. Hope the AMT version is tuned well enough.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 09:25   #545
Senior - BHPian

Some additional thoughts on Engine. Maruti Omni comes with a 800CC motor producing about 40HP. The car could lug 6-7ppl or carry about 500-600KGs of load. However Triber costs twice as more compared to Omni and you have lesser priced cars with better powered engine.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:18   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Some additional thoughts on Engine. Maruti Omni comes with a 800CC motor producing about 40HP. The car could lug 6-7ppl or carry about 500-600KGs of load. However Triber costs twice as more compared to Omni and you have lesser priced cars with better powered engine.
Because there is a lot more to a car than the engine.
pseudo_coder is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:30   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post

I couldn't have put it better
Old 25th September 2019, 22:53   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I meant even though Triber has puny engine it will be able to pull the load, as Omni with lesser powerful engine is able to do. However Triber costs twice as much and one does expect powerful engine, particularly when cars like Go+ gets 1.2L motor.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 23:04   #549
BHPian

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Quote:
I meant even though Triber has puny engine it will be able to pull the load, as Omni with lesser powerful engine is able to do. However Triber costs twice as much and one does expect powerful engine, particularly when cars like Go+ gets 1.2L motor.

It goes also to say that nobody bought the GO and it's + version because it had the 1.2L engine ! So engine alone cannot sell a badly packaged car .. where as there is a better chance of success for very well packaged vehicle with a average engine ..

Last edited by vishnana : 25th September 2019 at 23:07.
vishnana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 23:31   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
It goes also to say that nobody bought the GO and it's + version because it had the 1.2L engine ! So engine alone cannot sell a badly packaged car .. where as there is a better chance of success for very well packaged vehicle with a average engine ..

A perfect example to this is the 1.2L POLO with 75 odd bhp. This car was under powered for its price and weight but still sold well because of the overall package and looks. Triber will not appeal to enthusiasts like us bhpians but it'll appeal to those Omni buyers because even at twice the price, it's more value for money for the overall package compared to a barebone unsafe Omni..
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 12:52   #551
BHPian

Car makers like VW Group, FCA, Ford etc. should learn from Renault on how to make India Specific cars. Where there's a WILL, there's a WAY. Renault is a keen to succeed in India. First there's was a Kwid and now Triber. Both these products have proved that a good car can be developed within a budget if you are ready to do R&D, Re-engineering and be flexible.

Triber really looks good, designed well to fit in 7 seats and doesn't look like a 5L rupees car. My wishlist would be to have a turbo, CNG (to compete with Ertiga CNG) and AMT variants.
VJ05 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 16:48   #552
Senior - BHPian

I had made up my mind to buy a Triber, despite the under powered engine and the overall budget feeling. I thought, anyways I wouldn't be taking it to the highways, so it can be a good city car. I had given the booking amount too.

Last week, I read about the Tigor offer, that there is a cool 1.2L off. So, I thought of visiting the Tata showroom. There, I was told that the 1.2 lakh discount is for 2018 cars, so I ignored it and asked about the discount on 2019 cars. It's around 65k for the top end AMT variant XZA+ (wifey prefers AMT).

Thought that it has been a while, since I last drove a Tiago/Tigor, so decided to take a short test drive.

If I keep aside the additional features of the Triber, the Tigor is a much much better built car. The touch points, the plastics, the drive, nowhere did I have that 'cost cutting' feel, I had with the Triber. The Tigor does give me more for my money, and I did feel I am sitting in a more expensive car.

Bottom line, I booked the Triber RXZ for 7.67 lakhs OTR. I am getting the Tigor AMT XZA+ for 8 lakhs OTR. I am willing to let go of the Triber's extras and now going for the Tigor.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 20:29   #553

I find the Renault Triber to be a value for money car. However, after taking the test drive and speaking to the dealer as well as Renault, I found some shortcomings specially for the topmost RXZ variant :-
1. Renault has vinyl seat covers as accessories, which cannot be fitted in the RXZ variant, as it will impair the functioning of the side airbags, which are exclusive to this variant. So while owners of the lower variants will be able to fit seat covers to give the car interior a premium look, RXZ owners are barred. Rather strange logic, isn't it? Mind you, all variants come with the same quality of seats, so it is not that RXZ variant comes with more premium seats. So solution may lie in factory fitted vinyl seats
2. No provision to attach front fog lamps
3. Engine is definitely under-powered. Renault needs to come out with either a turbo charged 1 L engine or a 1.2 L engine
4. No provision for driver's seat height adjustment, which will make driving difficult for people with short to medium height

To increase the value proposition of this car, Renault may think of coming out with a RXZ (O) variant, which will be at a premium, but incorporates features (1), (2) & (4). Feature (2) along with BS VI compliance applies across all variants.
avijpal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 01:18   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by avijpal View Post
To increase the value proposition of this car, Renault may think of coming out with a RXZ (O) variant, which will be at a premium, but incorporates features (1), (2) & (4). Feature (2) along with BS VI compliance applies across all variants.

In addition, Tyres should be R15 185/60. They launched with 165/80 R14!
Old 30th September 2019, 11:54   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that. Valid point.

A few points to add about the Omni - it didn't have 1 huge power sucker. Air conditioning. And it was an RWD vehicle. A "pusher" rather than a "puller" that the Triber is. RWD has certain benefits over FWD in load lugging and that would surely have helped the lower capacity engine to still pull with 7 people onboard. The gearing was also limited. 4 short gears. Top speed was never even a consideration with the Omni. Triber I'm sure has to also cruise often at 100kmph given its target audience. Thats where a larger engine would come handy for sure. A 1.2 like you mentioned would have really ensured this car killed a lot of others in segments around it.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed