Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 11:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault to introduce a 7-seater based on the CMFA (Kwid) platform

I hope something like this don’t go well in the market. Renault is really taking budget/low-cost to the next level – and now with the premium Renault badging.

I can already foresee brilliant PR talks in the lines of:
  1. This is the first Global MPV from Renault which is fully designed and developed in India.
  2. Don’t get fooled by the price – this got best-in-class premium features like touch-screen infotainment system.
  3. You’ll see the see the same design philosophies of some of the MPV’s like Renault Scenic sold in Europe. It’s actually almost the same car with 120% localization.
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I have seen 20 people stuffed inside this Toofan which is a 12 a seater vehicle. The only safety device it has Nimbu-Mirchi Totka hanging from the front bumper.
, what a correlation Silverwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, the news is true. A Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) shares the following note:
GTO does Renault really have an in-house cheap car R&D Unit. Andy Palmer had mentioned that CMFA platform will be below GO and GO+, I cannot understand what is their perception of India. This car will approximately have a power and torque ratio of 57BHP/t and 78NM/t respectively.

Last edited by deehunk : 6th December 2017 at 12:45.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I cannot understand what is their perception of India.
This is not a new strategy in India. My uncle(And probably many others during that time) used to play this trick when we were kids.

If there were 4 adults and 2-3 kids ideal scenario is to go by 2 Autos. However, due to budget constraints, the Current Kwid strategy used to be adopted. The strategy goes like this.

First 3 adults will stand on Road and remaining adult will stand behind. One of those 3 will call an Auto. Some Auto stops (Auto was permitted for 3 adults only)

They mutually agree on destination. Now strategy opens up. Slowly one of the three adults negotiates for 4 adults in the same auto. Without any resistance, auto driver agrees with an extra pay of Rs 2. (I am talking about 35 years ago story)

Now, 4th adult joins the group and slowly, 2-3 kids come down near auto and silently gets into the Auto.

Driver shows resistance and says, he cannot accomodate. Again, Negotiation starts and finally driver agrees with a overall extra of Rs. 5

I think the some one has told this story to Renault and the same is being adopted by Renault. Initially, it was a 800CC car for 4 people. Now, added 200 cc more and extending the capacity for adding 3 more people

Last edited by gkveda : 6th December 2017 at 12:43.
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:21   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I guess you forgot, Renault will simply do two things they did in past and pass the crash tests:
1) Install an airbag - but smaller than what the size should be; like they did for Duster.
2) Offer a driver airbag and strengthen the driver side enough that it can pass the crash test - like they did to pass crash tests with Kwid.

So, you need not to worry about safety, at least on paper they will manage to pass the safety tests.
Every time I read such pathetic things done by car companies to save a few pennies makes my blood boil. I have just one question, WHY? Is our customers' life so invaluable? Leave the idea of profits, or any money making, the thing is have these companies lost their basic sence of humanity just for the sake of making some bucks?. The thing that angers me more is that, our government(please note that I am generalising and not targeting any specific one)don't give a damn about safety regulations. They are just happy with the fact that foriegn companies invest in our country. The thing is how will companies like Renault make profit in India, when they are making their customers vulnerable to death. I mean who will buy their products when there will be no customer left. After all this ranting , I want to add just one more thing, I have no right to blame any govt. or company for foul playing with safety norms, when the citizens of my own country don't give any attention to safety themselves. We all know how we Indian ride bikes without helmets, that too with 3(or somtimes more) people on board. We drive our cars rashly without wearing seatbelts, then blame either luck or the company. I will finish my post saying that before pointing out others for comprmising our safety, we first need to change ourselves, and yes, it includes us ALL! I now rest my case. Thank you

Last edited by Simat : 6th December 2017 at 15:30. Reason: Correction of typos
Simat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:54   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

What about safety?
But this is safer than these 7 people travelling in 4 motor bikes, IMO. As long as Omnis are plying here with 7 or more people on board and is all fine as it serves the purpose, the same rule should go with this grown-up "B(w)oy".
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 16:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tried my hands at Photoshop to integrate Kwid with GO plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-kwid_mpv.jpg  

deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 18:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

New Renault MPV spied testing in India for the first time. Will have no- diesel option and is set to launch in 2019.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-0_578_872_0_70_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180613053918_renault_mpv_autocar.jpg

Quote:
Code named RCB the MPV is set to launch in 2019, the new MPV will sit under the Lodgy in Renault’s line-up and will come in at a lower price point
Quote:
Underpinning the new model will be Renault’s CMF-A+ platform – a development of the CMF-A on which the Kwid hatchback is based. It will be larger than the Kwid and will have a longer wheelbase too, but overall length will still be under four metres to qualify for the excise benefits on ‘small cars’. Notably, the Renault MPV will come with a third row of seats making it suitable for up to seven passengers
Quote:
Powering the new MPV will be an updated version of the Kwid’s BR10 1.0-litre that could be upgraded with a turbocharger to deal with the additional load requirements
Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th June 2018 at 18:50.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

With the Renault Lodgy sales slumping already, and with the MPV segment not growing much, I can't understand the marketing strategy behind this new development from Renault.

The Go+ hasn't got off to a start at all, and leaving the utilitarian Eeco, Omni & Bolero, the lower spectrum of the UV segment is largely struggling. Even going beyond, only the Ertiga and the Innova are managing some credible numbers, the Mahindra Xylo, Nissan Evalia, Honda Mobilio, erstwhile Chevrolet Enjoy & Tavera all combined would have had a monthly sales of 2k-3k units a month I suppose.

Renault would do better to spend this development cost on a premium platform that can spawn a premium hatch, a C segment sedan and a Duster replacement (more premium than the Dacia based one)
Old 15th June 2018, 12:18   #24
BHPian

Well, Hello Mobilio...er.. Renault car. You are doomed for failure from the get Go.

Congrats on the amazing strategic move, Renault. :facepalm:

How in the world are they planning to squeeze three rows in a sub 4m car? I am really looking forward to this engineering marvel.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 12:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
How in the world are they planning to squeeze three rows in a sub 4m car? I am really looking forward to this engineering marvel.
To see that in flesh, maybe you should go and see the Datsun Go Plus in Nissan-Datsun showrooms in your city. It is feasible, although not very spacious, but for occasional 5+2 carrying needs, just about okay. Even Maruti is planning a sub-4 meter WagonR based 5+2 seater MPV, they even showcased at an Auto Expo in Indonesia and India some years back, and speculations are rife that the Suzuki Solio spotted on Indian roads is in fact the 7 seater version of WagonR for India. So, keep up to date with latest news in the Auto World and you won't be too surprised at what all car makers are doing to give the consumers maximum Bang for their Buck.

Even the Datsun Cross launched a few months earlier in Indonesia is based on Datsun Go Plus and is a 5+2 seater at less than 4m long.

What about Maruti Eeco and Omni, they can seat more than 7 in less than 4 meters. You just have to maximize the cabin space, push the wheels out to the farthest possible ends and plonk in 3 rows of seats, I agree that it does not leave any usable Luggage Space, but that can always be put up on Roof Rack.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 15th June 2018 at 12:27.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:03   #26
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs

Mod Note : Sub-4 metre Renault MPV (codenamed: RBC) caught testing - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:22   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
They've done it already. It's called a Datsun Go Plus. Official Review here (Datsun GO+ : Official Review).

Third seat can be used for kids, or perhaps for enemies.

Renault Triber, the Kwid-based MPV. EDIT : Launched at Rs. 4.95 lakhs-datsungoplus11.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th June 2018 at 10:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:59   #28
Team-BHP Support

The only last row I've ever been reasonably comfortable in an Indian car is the Xylo's. Even the Innova is unbearable on a long ride.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 14:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

May 2018 sales figures: (related thread)

Renault Lodgy: 166 units
Datsun GO+: 425 units
Honda BR-V: 469 units

Looking at these figures, it is clear that this segment isn't particularly popular with the Indian buyer. I'm not sure how Renault plans to earn a profit by selling a sub-4 meter MPV. Instead, a sub-4 meter SUV (perhaps, based on the same platform) would've made more sense IMO.
Old 18th June 2018, 14:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
May 2018 sales figures:
Renault Lodgy: 166 units
Datsun GO+: 425 units
Honda BR-V: 469 units

Looking at these figures, it is clear that this segment isn't particularly popular with the Indian buyer. I'm not sure how Renault plans to earn a profit by selling a sub-4 meter MPV. Instead, a sub-4 meter SUV (perhaps, based on the same platform) would've made more sense IMO.

This list should include the sales numbers of Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Maruti Omni and Maruti Suzuki Ertiga as well to give a clearer perspective of how the segment is doing overall. Just listing out the duds will not help, when the product has a potential, it does sell like you can see in cars of this segment from Maruti stable. I am not Pro or Against Maruti, I try to find practicality in the vehicle, and do not look at the brand or resale value, though they are important, and I do not deny that fact. In fact 6-7 seaters like Mahindra KUV100, NuvoSport and TUV300 should also be included even though their prices do not exactly overlap, but they are also a part of such a group of vehicles which can OFFICIALLY carry more than 5 people on board.
AdityaDeane is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks