Torque-converter 369 38.44%
Dual-clutch (DSG) 429 44.69%
CVT 129 13.44%
AMT 33 3.44%
Voters: 960. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2021, 21:34   #181
BHPian

Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

I've never tried DSG/DCT, and probably never will have one for myself for the sheer lack of reliability, no matter how peppy it maybe.

I have an old school 4 speed TC in my dad's i10, and it's a hoot to drive. And it gives almost similar mileage as my MT i10. Win win situation and going strong at 8+years and 40k+ kms.

I drove a Celerio AMT once. Never again. Enough said.
Old 10th June 2021, 22:29   #182
BHPian

I have a Swift VXi AMT. I absolutely love the convenience of the automatic. The jerks are almost non existent. The gear shifts are quite smooth and seamless. I will buy a AMT over a TC/DSG/DCT any day. The icing on the cake is the great mileage. I am able to squeeze almost 19kms to a litre in day to day city driving with the AC on! I am super impressed with the Swift automatic and will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 22:02   #183
BHPian

I liked the Dual Clutches for the quick shifts hence fun to drive thrown in, but worried about the days it may not work as designed, takes away the pleasure of owning one but still top contender for a daily rental.

Hence like GTO mentioned my top vote is for a Torque Converter as a choice, close enough when coupled with good engines and spades of reliability in tandem. Good part is most manufacturers offer TC's.

CVT while technically niggle free and damn smooth when compared to DSG is totally at the mercy of the service center with high chances of human error. Its happened to me once and I will shy away from it. Most folks working on our cars don't even know about these types of Gearboxes let alone be technically sound.
Refer thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5161663 (Honda dealership fills the wrong oil in my City's CVT transmission!)

Though distant AMTs are getting better and for normal driving should be fine where engines produce adequate power / torque, its too lousy when power is insufficient.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 29th September 2021 at 22:06.
Old 29th September 2021, 22:09   #184
BANNED

In my experience with AMT, torque converters & CVT, I found that torque converters are smooth, niggle free, cheap to maintain, mileage friendly and reliable. AMT has the rubber band effect during shifts that makes you feel you are driving something unique. Though I did not have a chance to experience a DSG, from the expert views shared in our community, it is a costly affair while being fun to drive. So, for a family friendly drive, I recommend Torque converters.

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2021 at 08:53. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts. Please type your posts out perfectly (language, punctuation, grammar, spacing, capitalization)
Wheels is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2021, 10:00   #185
BHPian

Having driven most types of Automatic transmission except the Hyundai/Kia imt.
I would always choose a Torque Convertor AT over the rest.

Yes, I love the fast shifting DSG/DCT but reliability issues just don't give me confidence to spend my money on a DSG/DCT or even suggest to someone.

CVT is super smooth but the rubber band effect just pushes me away from a CVT. Maybe my driving style needs to change considerably to adapt to a CVT. Although few stepped CVT autoboxes are really good to use.

AMT is liveable, eventhough its the least refined and has a jerky nature in the first 3 gears, but for the price, its a good option to venture into automatic cars. But once the price tag of a car exceeds 8-9 lakhs, AMTs does not make any sense (I am looking at you Tata Nexon AMT and Mahindra XUV300 AMT)

So, Torque Convertor it is for me. A good enough compromise
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 10:21   #186
Senior - BHPian

Voted DSG but specifically so from the TSi-DSG combo.

I prefer a manual but if I ever get around buying an automatic it will be a want rather than a need and if the TSi - DSG is still around I will take that. That combo seemed telepathic to me hence the bias.

But if you want an automatic for the city, TC trumps everything else in ownership.
ZF-8 is exceptional but not within everyone's reach.
Old 1st October 2021, 22:20   #187
BHPian

Never owned any automatic cars, driven only a few in test drives. So altering the topic slightly, which automatic type would once chose say on a 5 year old car.
Old 7th February 2022, 12:25   #188
BHPian

Is manual mode needed in automatic cars?

Mod note: Thread merged with existing one. Please user Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new car. This will be the first car in our family. I am planning to go for an automatic car.
I don't want to compromise on driveability in highways while overtaking and in hilly areas. Can manual mode in AMT match the pure manual in highways and solves the issues of pure automatic mode ?

I find Nissan Magnite is a good car but it's CVT version comes without any paddle shifters. Does it cause any problem while overtaking as it doesn't have manual mode?
Because of the manual mode offered in AMT, I am getting inclined towards AMT over others. Is it a good consideration?

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th February 2022 at 12:29. Reason: Please user Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
Old 7th February 2022, 12:42   #189
BHPian

Re: Is manual mode needed in automatic cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sany0023 View Post
Mod note: Thread merged with existing one. Please user Search before opening a new thread. Thanks.
I find Nissan Magnite is a good car but it's CVT version comes without any paddle shifters. Does it cause any problem while overtaking as it doesn't have manual mode?
Because of the manual mode offered in AMT, I am getting inclined towards AMT over others. Is it a good consideration?
I have a paddle shifter equipped Hyundai Venue and i don't remember the last time i used it. I would strongly suggest to stay away from AMTs, go for iMT instead.
Magnite CVT is a peppy car and you wont miss paddle shifters once you understand throttle modulation for overtaking.
AjinkyaP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed