Torque-converter 412 39.81%
Dual-clutch (DSG) 449 43.38%
CVT 141 13.62%
AMT 33 3.19%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2018, 17:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Now, this is something I was also thinking about. DCT/DSG has mechanical gears, and clutch (double clutch, but still), and changes gears - Just like an AMT, but does it much quicker. The difference lies in the "brain", the software taking the duty of anticipating the driver inputs and changing gears automatically.

In the same vein, with better software, and with installing two mechanical clutch-gear combinations, AMT can be like DCT/DSG, with super quick responses and close to naught head-bob (and at a much lower cost). AMT is the future.
Even though they both seem the same as they are based on Manual transmission, there is a sea of difference in technology, which makes DSG/DCT complicated too. Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to undermine AMTs.

AMTs can get as good as DCT/DSG with technology update. But then, they will get as expensive too. They are both meant for different applications. At best people will try to make it a bit more smoother. Technology is not a problem, as it is already there in the form of DSG/DCT.
Chethan B G is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 12:06   #92
BHPian

Very interesting thread!
Thank you!

My two bits:
I have done test drives of almost all types. I own a Jazz CVT and Scorpio AT. I just love the Jazz CVT. The Scorpio has many strengths - but it is still not that smooth.

I am not a taxi driver and I do approximately 1000~1200 km per month only! When I imagine using some other automatic car(s), I do not think any car would be much better in the given conditions - the Indian roads, the traffic, the drivers, etc. I have never faced any issues with the 'rubberband effect' of Jazz! I have never faced torque issues on my Scorpio.

So, accepting that it is, finally, a personal choice - I have voted for CVT!

Note: I tried but could not get a test drive of the Amaze Diesel CVT.
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 19:31   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Apologies if I have hurt sentiments. Intention was definitely not that. .....
No apologies needed and no offense taken - I am just a firm believer in the old adage "the simpler the better". And for all those in the "super quick shifts" corner of the DCT system, I'm sure they have their reasons for their belief. We'll just have to wait and see which one has it for the long haul!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 16:47   #94
BHPian

I have driven DSG, CVT, AMT and TC. I own a Vento DSG hence my vote goes to DSG.

Reasons:-

1. Lightning fast gear shifts are very good.
2. The fun of driving a DSG compared to other gear boxes is second to none even if DSG's long term reliability is questionable. (Mechatronics in a DSG stare at a constant threat of going kaput)
3. The FE in a DSG is very good. Easily 16-17 kmpl in city and 20+ in Highway if you drive at a constant speed of 80 kmph.

AMT for me are the worst kind of gearboxes which gives constant jerks while driving.
NAVREVV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 17:49   #95
BHPian

Back in 2010, I had driven my first automatic, the Honda Civic. At that time, it felt like the best freakin machine (to the uninitiated me). But I believe that had more to do with the 1.8 VTEC than the 'box. If I was asked this question more than an year ago, I would have still voted TC though.
But since I drove the DSG (GT TSI - my daily driver), I found it to be way ahead of the competition. The shifts and the kickdown feel is just addictive. It comes with its own set of demons, like the thought at the back of your mind that it may pack up any moment now without notice. Or that it's not that quick to respond off the line (honestly, no one ever requires this in Indian driving conditions). Still the fun factor trumps all of that.
So yeah, my vote goes to DCT.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 04:00   #96
BHPian

Voted for Torque Converter, the reasons are simple.
No maintenance, Simpler technology, Mastered over the years (ZF). Its the safest bet among all the Auto boxes yet it's "now" fun to use.

The next would be DCT, we all know the pros and cons of the same but the fear of it ditching right in the middle of somewhere leaving me stranded makes me sweat and scared. I wouldn't want to take that risk.

The next up! CVT, Even though it's nice to use in city. You can't push this thing. The rubber band effect is way too prominent in some cars hence it becomes incredibly annoying when you really want to push it. Also, as the car gets older, I felt the CVTs increases the engine noise as in the sound of revs becomes way too prominent making the NVH levels outright poor.

AMT, I hate this gearbox to the core. I for one would like it to be banned permanently, I would drive a manual rather than spending even a minute using an AMT box. They're just way too jerky and confused.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 07:32   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Have used 4 TC's so far, and most comfortable with it. The DSG's may be better in certain respects, but I feel they also have the higher risk (in terms of cost of repair). CVT - not tried much. AMT - no.. may be fine for puttering around in city, but have not tried it outside. The jerky and little laggy change may not suit my driving.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:00   #98
BHPian

I have driven the DSG in Skoda Superb, CVT in Honda City, TC in Hyudai Grand i10 and AMT in a Celerio test drive. The price range of all the cars is quite varied. Nevertheless, the DSG was the best with super fast shifts and the AMT was the worst with jerky gear changes. But the long term reliability concerns of the DSG (Skoda/VW are improving by providing longer warranties) is enough for me to not opt for the same. TCs are comparatively more robust and hence have voted for the same.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:59   #99
mxx
BHPian

I was going through the Hyundai Venue thread. So Venue has a DCT and I saw reports of transmission overheating (as shown in MID). Looking it up on google I came to understand that this is not unusual with dry clutch DSG in certain conditions - eg: high ambient temperature with stop and go traffic.

My question is, why is AMT not prone to such overheating? If I am not mistaken AMT also has mechanical gears and clutches like DSG. Hence the question.

PS: when I said AMT is not prone to overheating, it was because I did not come across such reports with AMT in teambhp. I am not sure if I am right or wrong about it.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 11:32   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
My question is, why is AMT not prone to such overheating? If I am not mistaken AMT also has mechanical gears and clutches like DSG. Hence the question.
AMT is just a conventional gearbox with a mechanical attachment that operates the clutch and gear selector. The clutch is still the same as a manual gearbox and is immersed in oil which reduces the heat due to friction (while clutch slips), and also removes any generated heat.

The DCT in the Venue and the DQ200 in many of the VAG cars, have dry clutches where the clutch is not immersed in oil. Because of this in stop-go traffic where there is more clutch slip, the clutch gets heated up more than a oil bathed clutch would.
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 20:24   #101
BHPian

Call me paranoid, but I have a weird fear that I might forget driving MT/stick once I move to automatics.

And because of that, I still drive an MT. But if I were to graduate to an automatic transmission, it has to be DSG for the one most important reason - fastest shifts. That's all it will take for me.
Old 19th September 2019, 20:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Voted for Torque Converter, the reasons are simple.
No maintenance, Simpler technology, Mastered over the years (ZF). Its the safest bet among all the Auto boxes yet it's "now" fun to use.
The next would be DCT, we all know the pros and cons of the same but the fear of it ditching right in the middle of somewhere leaving me stranded makes me sweat and scared.
Agree with this, I stayed away from DCTs because I have heard horror stories.

Few weeks ago, it happened with my neighbor's Audi A4 - it just broke down and the reason was a failed gearbox. He had to spend somewhere between 3 and 4 lakhs to get it replaced and make the car roadworthy again.

Regarding the "now" fun to use comment - the older 4 speed TCs gave way to better 6 speed TCs in many cars nowadays. Shifts are better and they are indeed fun to use. Mine is a 6 speed TC.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th September 2019 at 20:58.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 21:31   #103
BHPian

Is there any list/table of automatic car available in India based on transmission type?
Old 19th September 2019, 21:52   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
AMT is just a conventional gearbox with a mechanical attachment that operates the clutch and gear selector. The clutch is still the same as a manual gearbox and is immersed in oil which reduces the heat due to friction (while clutch slips), and also removes any generated heat.
Are you sure about the wet clutch in AMTs?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 22:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

I've been driving the Honda City CVT for almost 2.5 years and have taken a real liking to it. It's smooth for the urban city traffic and also has enough burst of power for the highways too. My right foot has found a way to extract performance without the "rubber band" getting in the way. I also have a Grand i10 AT (my son's car). I've voted CVT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks