CVT 141 13.62%
AMT 33 3.19%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2019, 01:07   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
My preference is in the order - TC, CVT, DCT, AMT.
TC is the first because I consider it as the real / original autobox.
CVT is okay but the disadvantage of rubber band effect weighs more than the advantage in FE.
DCT is not yet proven.
AMT is just work around solution.
Is rubber band effwct present in all CVTs? I didn't feel it in Honda City and Amaze Diesel amd probably in Baleno. Felt is in Jazz and more so in Duster.
Old 21st September 2019, 01:26   #122
BHPian

Re: Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?

The DCT in Hector was ok but the DSG in my Octavia is leagues ahead. Using it was the first time I thought auto is better than my own shifting.
Old 21st September 2019, 09:38   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Is rubber band effwct present in all CVTs? I didn't feel it in Honda City and Amaze Diesel amd probably in Baleno. Felt is in Jazz and more so in Duster.
I haven't driven Honda cvts. But the rubber band effect was there in my friend's Nissan Micra. But he is really happy with the car. May be I have to learn how to drive a cvt
Old 21st September 2019, 10:03   #124
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely hate CVT. 10 yr old automatic gearbox is leagues ahead of CVT.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:18   #125

The good old TOrque converter auto gearbox have come a long way and is at its peak for the last decade or two. DCT is still catching up on reliability front and cost. The ZF gear boxes on BMW are some of the fastest shifting TC and the MErcedes ones are the smoothest and reliable TC gearboxes.

The VW/Skoda DCT earlier models had few reliability issues both on electronics and mechanical, the shift to wet clutch are said to be one such improvement. Non serviceable is the “ general” impression of some service personal.
Old 21st September 2019, 15:25   #126
Senior - BHPian

My preference after test driving some TCs, CVTs & AMTs and after using CVT for 5 months now. CVT>TC>DCT/AMT

I need automatic only for city and the smooth transmission (currently using in jazz CVT) is a pleasure to use. Cherry on the cake is it's pretty frugal compared to conventional AT.

Only downside is the rubberband effect when you want to go quick, although that's rarely required in the city. For highways I prefer manual.

TCs although great in Aspire/EcoSport for example aren't really frugal and hence petrol TC combination is heavier on pocket. AMTs are jerky and I can't live with that. DCTs haven't really been risk free as per users and hence am kinda skeptical about those for long term usage.

So the best compromise for me is the CVT (for now)

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st September 2019 at 15:26.
Old 21st September 2019, 15:41   #127
Senior - BHPian

Depends on budget and engine combo to be frank.
  • AMT + Budget friendly, anything above 10L I would give it a miss.
  • TC = Good engine or heavy utility, Would choose 4 speed TC over 6 speed AMT. Innova 2.8 would be an ideal candidate. Would avoid if mileage is on my mind.
  • DCT = Luxury cars, cheaper ones are mostly not reliable.
  • CVT = Amaze Diesel CVT seems to be a good one, quite unique in its offering. My Suzuki access too has very good CVT engine combo, never lagged in performance for everyday use. Would avoid it on heavy cars.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 21st September 2019 at 15:43.
Old 21st September 2019, 16:13   #128
BHPian

Give me a strong powerful diesel with a Torque Converter and I become a happy man.

I love to drive cars with a DSG as long as it's not my car.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 16:17   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
The DCT in Hector was ok but the DSG in my Octavia is leagues ahead. Using it was the first time I thought auto is better than my own shifting.
Tried the Hector DCT a couple of days back and it's disappointing, It did not felt like a DCT! The shifting is slow and it seemed confused. After the Germans, its definitely the Korean DCTs I would put my money on but then again it all boils down to the reliability.
Old 21st September 2019, 18:16   #130
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Iam looking to finalise Venue DCT but after going through this thread just want to make sure the reliability issues on the DCT.

Please help to give your reviews on Venue DCT.
Doing my test drive I felt it very smooth and linear with rubber-band effect at all.

Awaiting comments
Old 5th October 2019, 19:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

I have a noob question.
The clutch in manual cars wears out in 15-45 k kms depending on the usage. How are things in automatics?
I assume AMT has a clutch which needs to be replaced. But should last longer than in manual.
DCT has 2 clutches. Not sure about longevity.
TC has no clutch. Is there any other part that needs replacement frequently?
CVT has only a belt which will need to be replaced. At what interval?
Old 5th October 2019, 19:55   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have a noob question.
The clutch in manual cars wears out in 15-45 k kms depending on the usage. How are things in automatics?
I assume AMT has a clutch which needs to be replaced. But should last longer than in manual.
DCT has 2 clutches. Not sure about longevity.
Everything depends upon abuse for automatics as well. For AMTs, the clutch will last similar distance as a manual car which is not clutch ridden. However, more than the clutch wear resulting in slippage, it will cause juddering which will lead to premature replacement.

In case of DCTs, its not two separate clutches, but a pair of concentric clutch packs which are usually overhauled together. Again, the replacement interval is hard to judge. My cousin's Polo GT Tsi had its clutch pack and mechatronics replaced at 27k kms due to continuous usage in Bangalore ORR traffic.

In case of TC they are generally very durable, but under hard abuse the torque converter will get weak and also there are small clutches to control the gearset inside the transmission. These will wear out, but I am not sure of the interval in India. In Germany, I have seen taxis with 3L kms on the odo with untouched transmission or engine. I have also got a VW Taxi with DSG which had run 1.54L kms and the driver said no issues with the gearbox.

CVTs are also pretty durable but they too come with a torque converter as the coupling mechanism commonly, except for a few iterations such as Audi which use multi plate clutches as the coupling mechanism. The belts are usually strong and even in Indian conditions should last more than 80k kms.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 19:56   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
The TC's transmission oil is everything and will need to be maintained as prescribed. If that goes, then the gearbox gets fried. Fingers crossed, my A Star's TC will stay good. I topped up the transmission fluid this month and will get its prescribed 10 year fluid replacement done in 2 years.

I had a Nissan CSUV with a CVT in the US for 4 years. The serpentine belt in it needed replacing every 3 years, but that's mostly because of the biting cold -30°C winters over there. And I'm assuming that the serpentine belt I'm referring to is the CVT belt...
Old 9th October 2019, 04:38   #134
BHPian

DSG would be my choice.

Infact this was THE main deciding factor in few of my car purchases. Not sure how long manufacturers would provide this option in the low end mass produced vehicles due to cost and complexity but i am here to enjoy it as long as its available.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:01   #135
BHPian

Which type of Automatic Transmission do you prefer?-automatics.jpg

Warning for those driving automatic geared cars for long distances.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks