Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 18:28   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Kudos to Mr Boparai for speaking truth to power. It takes courage to make a statement like this on record in an environment where people, especially those from the business community, --
Shades of this tone were earlier echoed by Maruti Suzuki and Bajaj auto:

R C Bhargava:

Quote:
I don’t see raising tariffs and increasing prices of products which use Chinese imports is going to benefit the Indian citizen at all. This is more of an emotional reaction to the border problem, I do not think it is a well thought out solution to what we need to do both to resolve our differences on the border with the Chinese and also to in the long-term reduce what we are importing from China and elsewhere
Rajiv Bajaj:

Quote:
We have friends who are suppliers in China, who have invested a lot of time, effort and money in supplying us not a vicious virus but some wonderful wheels, very reliably for years, maybe for the last 15 years if not longer. How do we suddenly let them down even if we could? Is that ethical, is that what we would like to stand for either as a company or as a country? We have to ask ourselves that.

The reason we source components from China is simply because China is more competitive. I do not mean that our Indian suppliers are dumb, they are not; we are handicapped.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:42   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming

Skoda used car business to be launched in India.

Quote:
This makes the used car business an important tool for Skoda. Not only does it give its dealers some much-needed additional revenue, but it importantly enables existing car owners to trade in their cars for a new Skoda.

Skoda Auto India is mum so far on details like the brand name and the planned rollout, but it’s likely the company will equip and enable all of its dealers to offer the used car service
• Will offer certified used Skodas.
• Trade-ins will be multi brand

• India 2.0 plans on track for 2021
- Launch of the Kodiaq TSI petrol and the next-gen Octavia have been pushed to 2021.
- Vision IN mid-size SUV are still on track,
- New Skoda mid-size sedan(Rapid replacement) by the end of 2021.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th September 2020 at 19:48.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:06   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda is banking heavily on the 2 products ( Vision IN and Next Gen. Rapid) scheduled for launch next year . Is it an indication of the pricing being so aggressive to draw the volumes as being discussed?

Name:  za.PNG
Views: 3307
Size:  17.4 KB
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:58   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda is banking heavily on the 2 products ( Vision IN and Next Gen. Rapid) scheduled for launch next year . Is it an indication of the pricing being so aggressive to draw the volumes as being discussed?
Vehicle models is not the issue with Skoda really, what is really stopping them for going to next level is the after sales.

Nobody I know complains anything about the car but dont recommend strictly based on service. (Some friends who wanted to buy when asking friends who own about the after sales experience they were not happy with after sales)

In short “everyone wants Skoda but nobody buys one”
SideView is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:48   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Auto Volkswagen India eyes trebling output in 2 years.

Quote:
The company has reportedly been in talks with MG Motor India for a contract manufacturing tie-up.
Quote:
India is one of the most cost-efficient production bases for automobile companies, but the tax structure prefers cars less than 4 metres in length and that is taking away its competitive edge
- is also open to partnerships in the country and will continue to talk to interested parties in the future

-is planning to treble output to 200,000 units in the next two years, on the back of new product launch

-will roll out sedans and sport utility vehicles between 2021 and 2022

-expects to operate the plant at 100% capacity within two years and the group garnering 3% share of the Indian market.

-One by one, new models will be launched every six months till 2022 under the India 2.0 plan.

-will really see our full volumes in 2022, and a market share of 3%

-If in a partnership, we would clearly be expanding capacity and then that capacity can be shared.

-60-70% of Skoda VW’s total production was reserved for exports, but is set to reverse from 2021

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd October 2020 at 13:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:29   #216
Senior - BHPian

Zac Hollis about MQB-A0-IN platform

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-smartselect_20201115192756_twitter.jpg

https://twitter.com/Zac_Hollis_/stat...689893377?s=19
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 20:00   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Whoever tweeted this, tweeted out my concerns! I sincerely hope they didn't dilute anything! Other than length, I wonder what else was localised. What is the meaning of localisation, apart from getting local vendors?

TBH, VAG cars are like cocaine. It may break your bank but you can't live without one! Truly addictive! Hope they really fix their after sales and service while maintaining driving pleasure.

Last edited by Turbohead : 15th November 2020 at 20:03.
Turbohead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 21:31   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
TBH, VAG cars are like cocaine. It may break your bank but you can't live without one! Truly addictive! Hope they really fix their after sales and service while maintaining driving pleasure.
As an old-timer on this forum, I have read all sorts of things about VW cars and I must say your analogy made me chuckle! To be honest, VW Polo TSI is an extremely reasonable car to own that gives a lot of VW 'kick' without breaking your bank account.

I truly don't understand why people reject Polo TSI due to it being an old platform. Polo TSI shares garage with some mighty cars in India - no other hatchback gets as much respect.

India localisation can only be bad news. Don't get me wrong, I too want India to locally manufacture amazing stuff but we are not on a fast track to achieve it. Given our obsession with "low cost", localisation predominantly goes in one direction - lowering costs by cheapening quality. Our family owned first gen Corollla and now have the current gen Corolla - the quality difference is just unimaginable.

MB A class hatch was discontinued. Volvo V40 was discontinued. DSG was discontinued in Polo. Jetta was discontinued. My advice to enthusiasts is to grab your favourite car before it's either localised, diluted or discontinued
androdev is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:24   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Whoever tweeted this, tweeted out my concerns! I sincerely hope they didn't dilute anything! Other than length, I wonder what else was localised. What is the meaning of localisation, apart from getting local vendors?
There will definitely be dilution. The localisation part could mean a lot of things. Vendors being one of it, the crash regulations, materials used, adding or modifying certain things as per our weather and customers needs, suspension components to better suit our road conditions, etc.
Getting a product right takes time, especially when your reputation is at stake. Skoda will be very careful with all their future products, going by the seriousness and confidence they show in their social media posts.
21Archer84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:59   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

If nothing is diluted, then why do VW not give the same body/paint warranty here as in Europe?

Having said that, their metal is good. I had a tinkering job "saved up" for months, and there was no sign of rust at all. The galvanising stood up despite a deep dent and paint loss.

So a lot can be said that is good. But no dilution?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:36   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

ŠKODA AUTO gains additional capacity within VOLKSWAGEN Group’s production network, gets additional responsibilities in growing markets.

Quote:
Following India, ŠKODA AUTO has now also been given responsibility for Russia and North Africa. Due to the INDIA 2.0 project, ŠKODA AUTO has a wealth of experience in developing emerging car markets.

Link
Old 9th December 2020, 08:22   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Gearing up for its India 2.0 Project, Skoda Auto India plans to end 2020 with 100 touch points across India, and it will add another 30 outlets to its network by end of June 2021.

Right now, the company has about 94 touch-points across India.

Quote:
by 2025, the company will have over 200 touchpoints, in 150 cities, across India.
Quote:
are recruiting financially strong partners with the right focus on customer satisfaction and customer-centricity.
Quote:
are also making sure that our existing partners also have that right focus on customer-centricity and customer satisfaction

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:52   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

The Group is to go product offensive in 2021 inline with its India 2.0 Project.

Launches:

- Skoda Vision IN - Mid 2021( deliveries)

- Next-gen Skoda Octavia launch pushed to Q2 2021( April/June 21)

- Skoda Kodiaq petrol BS6 - Q2 2021( April/June-21)

- New Skoda Rapid - End 2021 ( Nov/Dec)

- Volkswagen Taigun (likely launch in Aug-Sept 2021)

- Volkswagen New Vento (likely in Oct-21)

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th December 2020 at 18:53.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:58   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

ALL THE PLACES ŠKODA CALLS HOME:

ŠKODA employs over 35,000 people worldwide. Besides the Czech Republic, ŠKODA cars are made in China, Russia, Slovakia and India, mostly under Volkswagen Group partnerships.

Come 2021 the map will be filled with many more products from the current sparse looking products in India!

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-75120productionplanen_v21613x2560-1.jpg

Source: ŠKODA
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:55   #225
Senior - BHPian

Here is an interview of Zac Hollis from team ZigWheels

Some important takeaways from the interview -

1. The name for the Vision IN will be revealed next month while the technical specs will be revealed in March with cars reaching showrooms by June.

2. The production version of Vision IN is likely to be very similar looking as the concept.

3. The new Octavia will likely launch with the 1.5/2.0 TSI petrol engines in Q2 but we may see the diesel in 2022.

4. The Kodiaq 2.0 TSI will also launch along with the Octavia in Q2. No plans yet for Kodiaq RS.

5. All Skoda dealers will offer Skoda used car program from next year.

6. Skoda will have 130 touchpoints by the June next year.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed