Team-BHP - Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/199446-skoda-control-vws-product-development-india-car-based-mqb-a0-platform-coming.html)

VAG board approves India plans. First Model role out by 2020.

The project manager will be the Managing Director of Skoda Auto India Private Ltd., Gurpratap Boparai, who is a great connoisseur of the Indian automotive market.

Skoda to drive Volkswagen’s comeback in India .

As part of the ‘India 2.0’ project, Skoda will take over development work of the sub-compact MQB – A0 platform with a focus on the India-specific MQB A0-IN.

Quote:

all future VW and Skoda models designed and manufactured in India will be based on the VW Group’s MQB platform. Development for future VW and Skoda models is already underway and the Czech carmaker has also made it official that its first model based on the new MQB A0-IN platform will roll out in 2020.
Quote:

This new model will be an all-new SUV that will take on the Hyundai Creta in the Indian market. It will borrow design cues from the Vision X SUV concept shown internationally but will feature styling and dimensions suitable to Indian tastes. This new SUV will also have a Volkswagen derivative.
Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-sk.jpg

Whoa! That's a surprise. Sharing the full press release here:

Quote:

Mladá Boleslav/Aurangabad/Mumbai: 22 June 2018 – Going forward, ŠKODA AUTO is taking on an even more important role for Volkswagen Group in the development of the Indian car market. As part of the ‘INDIA 2.0’ project, Volkswagen Group’s position in this important growing market is to be strengthened for the long term. “Volkswagen Group has tasked us with this responsibility, thereby highlighting the level of trust that Volkswagen Group’s management places in the expertise of the ŠKODA team,” said ŠKODA CEO, Bernhard Maier, after the Board of Management and Supervisory Board had given the project the goahead. Around one and a half years ago, ŠKODA AUTO was tasked with developing a sustainable model campaign for the ŠKODA and Volkswagen brands in the Indian volume segments.

All models designed and produced locally in India in the future will be based on Volkswagen Group’s MQB platform, which already fulfils the stricter legal requirements for India that come into force in 2020. With the ‘INDIA 2.0’ project, ŠKODA AUTO is also taking over responsibility for the sub-compact MQB A0 platform, initially with a focus on India (MQB-A0-IN). Preparations for the India-based development and production of the new, technologically pioneering volume models for the ŠKODA and Volkswagen brands are already in full swing. The introduction of the first ŠKODA model based on the A0-IN platform is scheduled for 2020.

“We are firmly convinced that – after one and a half years of intensive work – together with Volkswagen we now have a suitable approach to bring the right vehicles into the Indian market at the right time. We will present the first model built on the new MQB-A0-IN platform as early as 2020,” said ŠKODA AUTO CEO, Bernhard Maier, adding, “I am confident that we can make the ‘INDIA 2.0’ project a success.”

The project will be headed by the Managing Director of ŠKODA AUTO India Private Ltd, Gurpratap Boparai, who has extensive leadership experience in the Indian car market.

What are the fundamental advantages of the MQB? By standardising components, dimensions and production processes, costs are lowered and production times are reduced. Furthermore, the MQB increases flexibility when developing new vehicles. Most of the technical development will take place in India.

I hope this is for good and they don't do another flip-flop. I am really happy that all future models are going to be based on the MQB platform (A0 or otherwise).

I sincerely hope the VW group gets its act in terms of products, pricing (total cost of ownership), timing and most importantly the service experience right this time.

I think this is going to turn Skoda and VWs fortunes around in India. Skoda seems to have a better idea of what products Indians want and their pricing, but have been hamstrung by a lack of new models in the lower end of the budget spectrum.

As an owner of now the cheapest Skoda available in India since end 2013, I can vouch for the improvement in after sales service to the point of now being "acceptable", though far from class-leading yet. More service opportunities will give centres more earnings and impetus to add more centres as well.

They're late to the the small-SUV party, but it is still the right idea. Skoda still commands brand recognition and respect, probably because of the lack of visibility and premium-only portfolio of late (other than the Rapid of course).

I only hope that Indianness doesn't creep into the quality of interior plastics and build, the USP of the brand being quality and built to last.

Edit: Isn't 2020 an extremely aggressive timeline for a brand new product? I think they're going to re-style the Karoq for India or similar. Minimise design time and start testing immediately.

Well, Skoda does have a handicap : lousy reputation regarding after sales and high cost of maintenance.

The way forward is to fix this, not through fancy brand building / high power celebrity advertisement, rather through honest results on the ground. Genuine care for customer, Maruti / Hyaundai style, and easy availability of spares !!!

Could even take a leaf out of the Ford book and sell select spare parts over the counter!

The following statistics does prove why both the companies should not abandon India.
A huge sigh of relief on that end.

But seem like the PQ25 platform will have a few more years left in it as Skoda is not retiring it any time soon.

And Fabia might do a come back for that premium hatchback segment.
If the 13% first-time buyers booking of Verna is anything to go by, the Fabia can satisfy the appetite of many new car buyers.

Is the MQB-A0-IN a cheaper/stripped down version of the international MQB platform? Renault has been heavily criticised for the Captur/Kaptur fiasco, what are we to make out of this?

The Skoda Vision X will be the first model based on MQB AO IN platform. The IN tag would mean that they cut down on the well built factor - something they have already done with the MQB. A drive with the Octavia and the Rapid will let you know that the Rapid is more well built than its bigger sibling.

Looks like they are wise onto what Indians prefer - a rear antenna over good handling. The end result will never be a better car - but it will certainly be cheaper.

Just hope they don't rope in Tata to help with the development as they did earlier.

Pics of the Vision X:

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-2image.jpeg

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-1image.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A (Post 4418306)
I hope this is for good and they don't do another flip-flop. I am really happy that all future models are going to be based on the MQB platform (A0 or otherwise).

Volkswagen Group is re-structuring with ownership given regionally to a brand. Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by johannskaria (Post 4418451)
And Fabia might do a come back for that premium hatchback segment.
If the 13% first-time buyers booking of Verna is anything to go by, the Fabia can satisfy the appetite of many new car buyers.

Hatchbacks are not on priority for India. C/SUV and Sedans in the form of Vision X /T Cross and Virtus are the cars for the next few years.
FOUR cars from the group in starting from 2020.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron:) (Post 4418472)
Is the MQB-A0-IN a cheaper/stripped down version of the international MQB platform?

They will modify the frame and remove the parts not needed as per the crash/ regulatory norms coming for India. Steel grades too might be different.

VOLKSWAGEN defines new Group structure more precisely: brands assume responsibility for regions:
Quote:

We are distributing responsibility across a number of shoulders and making Volkswagen faster, slimmer and more efficient
-The Volkswagen brand will assume responsibility for North America, South America and the Sub-Saharan region.

-SEAT will be responsible for the growing market in North Africa.

-AUDI will coordinate the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region except China.

- Responsibility for China will be retained by the Group

- ŠKODA is to be responsible for the markets of Russia and India and is to sustainably strengthen the market position of the Group in the growing market of India with the “INDIA 2.0” project and the related model offensive of the Volkswagen and ŠKODA brands

Quote:

The objective of assigning responsibility for the regions is to tailor the model range to the 
relevant market requirements and customers’ needs rapidly and effectively on the basis of 
regional knowledge and competences and through intensive cooperation with local partners. In future, the regional lead brand will be tasked with synchronizing the Group strategy for its region in liaison with the brands in the region, as well as coordinating brand activities, partnerships and the exploitation of synergy effects

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4418544)
They will modify the frame and remove the parts not needed as per the crash/ regulatory norms coming for India. Steel grades too might be different.

This is something to look forward. This will make or break Skoda's chances to succeed in their India 2.0 project. If the resultant product is too flimsy and is made "cheap", it is going to be yet another disaster. But if they manage to build reasonably fit products and doesn't lose out much to their trademark built-quality & powerful engines, just like TATA managed to do in recent past, it will be a game changer for Skoda/VW in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMG Power (Post 4418481)
The Skoda Vision X will be the first model based on MQB AO IN platform. The IN tag would mean that they cut down on the well built factor - something they have already done with the MQB. A drive with the Octavia and the Rapid will let you know that the Rapid is more well built than its bigger sibling.

While I agree with you on some points but the MQB is not exactly a "cut down on the well built factor". What I mean is that while yes the sheet metal seems thinner than say a old gen Jetta it is a weight saving exercise.

I had the pleasure to drive a 330i, S5 and a 1.8 TSI recently link yet the external build quality of the Octavia and the S5 was similar that says a lot. 330i was better in terms of the sheet metal but it had much more roll than even the Octavia 1.8 TSI.

Cant say anything about the IN tag on the MQB but on its own its better than the likes of PQ35 and I have been researching these platforms for a long long time link .

The platform matters "Safety-wise" even if someone says they don't. The MQB is computer modeled to put high strength steel where it is needed most in accordance to billions of crash simulations. The only real platform that would be better would be one which has high strength steel everywhere but this will add weight to the body.

Insider information says that VW killed the fabia to bring out the polo. Skoda insiders feel that if they were allowed to continue with the fabia they would be outselling the polo by far as they are doing today with the rapid over the vento. Rapid is apparently outselling the vento 2 to 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4418544)
Volkswagen Group is re-structuring with ownership given regionally to a brand.

Quote:

Volkswagen defines new Group structure more precisely: brands assume responsibility for regions. "This way, we will make Volkswagen faster, slimmer and more efficient.”

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-vw1.jpg

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-vw2.jpg

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-vw3.jpg

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-vw4.jpg

Skoda in control of VW's product development for India; car based on MQB-A0-IN platform coming-vw5.jpg

People who are after cars with thick sheet metal, sorry to burst your bubble but all cars will get a lighter and lighter body for weight saving.
This has nothing to do with saving and if you believe that the new Octavia isn't as safe as the Rapid because of a sound of the doors closing, then you are in for a surprise.

I feel VW should stop selling cars and focus on Skoda for India. Elsewhere Skoda is the cheaper sibling to VW, but not the case in India. Brand Skoda is quite powerful and some people weigh it more than VW. Unless there is enough product/price differentiation, VW and Skoda are always going to eat into each others share.