Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs

Mod Note: Our Lexus ES 300h Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

According to a media report, Lexus is planning to launch the latest-generation Lexus ES 300h in India in August 2018.

The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs-es300h.jpg

The new Lexus ES 300h was revealed in April this year. It is based on the Global Architecture-K platform and is longer and wider than the current ES. The car comes with a larger spindle grille and larger headlights. The front bumper has boomerang-shaped chrome accents. At the rear, the new car gets wraparound tail lights with L-shaped LEDs, chrome garnish and a dual-tone bumper.

On the inside, the ES 300h gets a redesigned dashboard with a 12.3-inch infotainment system with touchpad and voice recognition, a digital instrument cluster and a 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel. The new model is expected to be offered with power reclining rear seats and a Mark Levinson audio system with 19 speakers.

Powering the new car is a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine paired to an electric motor. It produces a combined output of 215 BHP, which is more than what the current model makes. The powertrain will be mated to an automatic transmission.

The Lexus ES 300h will be imported as a completely built unit (CBU) and will compete with the BMW 5-Series, Audi A6 and the Mercedes-Benz E-Class in the Indian market.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 10th January 2019 at 17:45.
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2018, 16:28   #2
BHPian

re: The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs

Its not a rumour. Its true. Deliveries will start in September and the car is expected to price INR 64 lac ex factory India.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 13:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Lexus has upgraded in two areas primarily - (A) the interiors which have been made more modern, more contemporary while maintaining the standard of materials, stitching etc; and (B) the safety features have been improved. It now carries features like lane departure warning, lane assist, pedestrian & cyclist detection, road kerb detection, autonomous braking and a few others. Getting closer to Volvo in this area. Good.

From what little I know the legroom at the rear has been expanded to be 10 cms more than the E class and the over all length is longer than a BMW 5. And of course the designers have made the front fascia look similar to the LS500. I doubt they have improved the ground clearance which is important for Indian roads. I think Lexus has distance to go to break into the minds of the Indian customer and crack the attraction the German 3 hold. This is also evident from the lack of enthusiasm on this thread!

Also nice to see that it does not look totally different on the outside to the outgoing model. That helps owners of the earlier model (like me) to not feel out of date. Mercedes follow a similar philosophy.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 14:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Its not a rumour. Its true. Deliveries will start in September and the car is expected to price INR 64 lac ex factory India.
Being a CBU and produced in Japan, getting in at the time of Global launch will be not an issue. Toyota may not want to sell older ones at discounts like some Germans which tend to get CKD or CBU kits of the car being changed and sell at discounted rates ( like Older 7 /5 or Z4) Their Dealers on Lexus India may have few on stocks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
(A) the interiors which have been made more modern, more contemporary while maintaining the standard of materials, stitching etc;
Hello Sir,

Yes, from the pictures, it does look heavily inspired by the bigger sibling and it also gets an F Sports edition, there is a funky Knob at the top of the dash like they have on the LS.

The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs-11.jpeg

It appears they have tried to improve the rear seat comfort. This will get them an edge in the emerging markets like India where Rear Seat comfort is one of the most important requirement.

Quote.
Rear seat passenger comfort has long been a hallmark of the ES, and the seventh-generation model still prioritizes rear package capability despite the sleeker exterior roofline," Lexus says. "A lower hip point and a carefully configured headliner preserve headroom while the longer wheelbase delivers generous legroom."

http://autoweek.com/article/luxury/7...#ixzz5Jc3xfepn

Quote:
It now carries features like lane departure warning, lane assist, pedestrian & cyclist detection, road kerb detection, autonomous braking and a few others. Getting closer to Volvo in this area. Good.
Most of these including Adaptive Cruise is already there in the existing model but I don't think they have given these on the Indian models so it will be interesting to see what they do on the newer one. Some of the features like Lane departure - we will have to keep these off most of the times though

Quote:
I doubt they have improved the ground clearance which is important for Indian roads.
Without Air Suspension, it can get tricky and given the low numbers they do here, changing something like suspension for an increased height may cause other issues.

Quote:
I think Lexus has distance to go to break into the minds of the Indian customer and crack the attraction the German 3 hold. This is also evident from the lack of enthusiasm on this thread!
Well, an LX @ 2,3 Crore and RX @ 1,2 Crore- they are surely not going to get them a lot of homes here and otherwise also, I don't see this brand as an aspirational for most Young guys. Of course for persons who have experienced most Germans and want to try something different or Toyota loyalists, Lexus is a good option but at these prices-

Quote:
That helps owners of the earlier model (like me) to not feel out of date.
Ha ha, hope you like the car and maybe they find a customer for your existing one to switch over when they launch unless you have an LS on your mind as a next upgrade.

https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/201...2019-lexus-es/

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2018 at 14:13.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2018, 19:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how is Lexus doing in India in terms of sales? They had a 're-jig' among their top management in India recently. They had said they were not chasing sales targets but they want to establish a strong brand first...
Old 28th June 2018, 10:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The current ES is now 6 years old, so this new gen couldn't have come sooner. This one apparently takes the game forward in terms of comfort & refinement. Just what Lexus owners want.

But man, two problems still remain. The CBU pricing and Lexus' weird styling. Forget glossy press pictures, here's a more "real world" one:
The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs-2019lexuses300hfront800x534c.jpg
Source

What's with that front grille .

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
car is expected to price INR 64 lac ex factory India.
That's rather steep - higher than the current ES, E-Class & 5-Series. If Lexus is serious about India, they should go the CKD + lower price route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Any idea how is Lexus doing in India in terms of sales?
Sales are so tiny that they don't reveal them. Just like Jaguar-Land Rover in their early days.

Quote:
They had said they were not chasing sales targets
That's simply a polite way of saying "in our current position, we cannot compete with the big boys of the segment". Every car manufacturer exists for numbers.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 10:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Also nice to see that it does not look totally different on the outside to the outgoing model. That helps owners of the earlier model (like me) to not feel out of date. Mercedes follow a similar philosophy.
I won't deny, I feel a bit crappy that the model I bought just 6 months ago is not a generation old.
I think I miscalculated that japs model life cycles are sooner than Germans which is what I keep track of more.
But then again, at the discount I got it at, I shouldn't complain much.
More so, my uncle that uses our Lexus most, doesn't care a damn about a new generation out. All he wanted was a Hybrid for years. When Honda had once been too optimistic and imported several CBU Civics and later deeply discounted them half price (26L to 13L!) my uncle was most excited but unfortunately they were sold off before we could get our hands on one. Since then he has wanted a Hybrid in his garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The current ES is now 6 years old, so this new gen couldn't have come sooner. This one apparently takes the game forward in terms of comfort & refinement. Just what Lexus owners want.

That's simply a polite way of saying "in our current position, we cannot compete with the big boys of the segment". Every car manufacturer exists for numbers.
I saw pictures of the rear back seat space it didn't seem much different, only a bit more legroom.
Apparently there are new damper which make the already superb suspension even better!

Completely agree with your take on Lexus trying to cover their back sides with the excuse of poor sales.

Here is a nice review of the new ES:
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 14:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's rather steep - higher than the current ES, E-Class & 5-Series. If Lexus is serious about India, they should go the CKD + lower price route.
True.

But atleast it's a thoroughly modern car for that price - which itself is a huge improvement compared to the earlier generation which was at the last year of its product lifecycle and this flaw was all too evident inside the car, unlike what the pricing suggested.

I'm surprised that the new generation is already here, because the international unveil was sometime late April. But then, it's a CBU - so less effort required to bring it down.

Should fare much better than the earlier version I feel.

Quote:
What's with that front grille .
Lexus trying desperately hard to make people notice them instead of the Germans.

Perhaps they should try and learn from Volvo - their new designs are all drop dead gorgeous and have earned them a good identity, but without compromising a tiny bit of elegance.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th June 2018 at 15:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 17:04   #9
Team-BHP Support

Lexus ES 300h launched at Rs 59.13 lakh

Powered by a 2.5-liter, four-cylinder petrol engine combined with the new, fourth-generation Lexus Hybrid Drive System, the hybrid electric ES 300h, features a new level of craftsmanship. The Lexus ES 300h will be available for booking from 19th July 2018 at Rs 59, 13, 000 (Pan- India ex-showroom).

Source -

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-lakh/65054534

The website is also updated

https://www.lexusindia.co.in/en/models/es.html

Bangalore/Mumbai/New Delhi, India (19 July 2018) : After nearly thirty years of success in the midsize sedan category, the seventh-generation Lexus ES is set to redefine its status among executive sedans. Long known for its unparalleled comfort, refinement and luxury appointments, the new Lexus ES builds on its strengths with an all-new chassis that delivers a more emotional exterior design along with a superior driving experience. Powered by a 2.5-liter, four-cylinder petrol engine combined with the new, fourth-generation Lexus Hybrid Drive System, the hybrid electric ES 300h, features a level of craftsmanship rarely found in this segment, and will appeal to guests who appreciate comfort, refinement and luxury.

That is Quick.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th July 2018 at 17:16.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:07   #10
BHPian

New Lexus ES300h launched in India for 59.13 lakhs.

Lexus has launched the 2018 ES 300h hybrid sedan in India at a price tag of Rs 59.13 lakh (ex-showroom India). It is the seventh-gen model of the ES nameplate, which made its India debut in March 2017 with the sixth-gen model.
The new sedan is powered by a BSVI-compliant hybrid powertrain, which is a combination of a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder (178PS/212Nm) petrol engine and an 88kW (119PS) electric motor. The hybrid system has a combined power output of 217PS. Power is sent to the front wheels via an e-CVT gearbox. The Lexus sedan has a claimed mileage of 22.37kmpl.
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen Lexus ES 300h. EDIT: Now launched at 59.13 lakhs-hv_lexuses300h_deepbluemica12.jpg  

Last edited by Tarmac.terrorist : 19th July 2018 at 19:08.
Tarmac.terrorist is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:11   #11
BHPian

Re: New Lexus ES300h launched in India for 59.13 lakhs.

Is it just me who feels that the new grill and styling is killing the looks of the brand's new cars/suvs.
psmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

The grille looks like Thanos's chin.

Just as a comparison, the previous generation Lexus ES300H was launched here for Rs 55.27 lakh (ex-showroom). The previous generation was also powered by a combination of a 2.5-litre petrol engine and an electric motor and had a combined power output of 202 bhp. I think one can get a 530i on road, for Rs 59 lakhs.

It is an interesting car if one really wants to buy something other than the Germans, but if left-field choices are in, I'd rather buy the upcoming Volvo S60.

Last edited by avishar : 19th July 2018 at 19:30.
avishar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah that in your face "Predator" grille. I am not sure whether I like it on all Lexus SUVs and cars. But on the this new ES300H it does look quite attractive.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:47   #14
BHPian

Why is the 2.5L engine output less than that in the new Camry?
AccordSport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 00:53   #15
BHPian

The Lexus ES is possibly all the car one can ever need (unless you take it to the track). Most people will use these cars to commute to work and back and for the occasional road trip. I think the practicality offered by this car over the Germans is huge. You can carry 5 passengers in this car in absolute comfort and the huge trunk lets you carry more than enough bags for that family road trip. Being a hybrid its going to be super awesome with the fuel economy too.

The only thing that I hate about these cars is the horrible CVT. Only if this were fixable.

For everyday use and something to live with for 6-7 years, this would be my pick over the Germans. It also helps that this thing is almost 40% cheaper (in Canada)than a similarly equipped car from Germany - I consider the 5, E and the A6 as competition in terms of size notwithstanding power being sent to opposite ends of the cars.(For me it would have to be all wheel drive or FWD because of the snow so it doesn't really matter much)

PS: I think the new ES looks attractive in certain colours and the F sport package.

Last edited by HKap : 20th July 2018 at 00:55. Reason: added more to the post.
HKap is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks